• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Zoe

Damn, my battery's gotten shitty all of a sudden--down to 47% after 5 hours. Gonna try to drain it and then charge it all the way up.

I think all it needed was a reboot to kill some process. Battery is back to normal now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That is a nice dark red. A white front with that dark red back would be glorious.

I still think the blue is the best, particularly with the darker blue/purple flip case back. It's the way the whole phone should have been. And textured like the front of the flip case.

McLovin

Hey guys I made the jump :)
My evo 3d was a freaking headache.
No 4g lte here yet so I'm stuck on 3g. Way faster then my old phones 3g for some reason.

buhdeh

Have they said if a black version is ever going to come out? Or does apple own the patent for that...

No kidding... I don't know if Samsung could pick 3 uglier colors for the S3. White isn't THAT bad but the purple and red ones look nasty.

tokkun

Have they said if a black version is ever going to come out? Or does apple own the patent for that...

No point. The blue phone is already almost indistinguishable from black in normal lighting, except for the brushed metal texture thing. The press photos are extremely misleading.

Simi Clock for the clock.
Beautiful widgets for the weather below it (I forget the skin used, but its a top rated one).
And circle battery for the battery on the top right.

How... how do I get these?

Also, where's the best place to get a classy case for the phone? I'd like a nice case.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How... how do I get these?

Also, where's the best place to get a classy case for the phone? I'd like a nice case.

They are all apps in the play store. As to case, what type of case do you want? A full case, a thin one, rubber bumper style, flip case? I have the official flip case and it is very very nice. But it does not protect the sides in case of a fall.

They are all apps in the play store. As to case, what type of case do you want? A full case, a thin one, rubber bumper style, flip case? I have the official flip case and it is very very nice. But it does not protect the sides in case of a fall.

I... don't know. Not a rubber one, don't like the feel of those. Any good metal ones out there?

tha_devil

Hi guys, i just grabbed my phone, and i notice a crack in the front (first thought it was a hair). I did not drop it, and handle it with care.

aoVVAl.jpg

Any chance this will fall under warrenty, i have no idea how this crack got there.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Hey guys I made the jump :)
My evo 3d was a freaking headache.
No 4g lte here yet so I'm stuck on 3g. Way faster then my old phones 3g for some reason.

Welcome to the club. Same reasons I jumped.

your 3g is faster because the phone's radio is waaaaay better. You can even use data when you're in a call! I'm able to stream the Olympics using 3g. I haven't felt 3g this fast in 2 years, 3D's 3g data can't even stream a radio station.

Cr0wn0

Hi guys, i just grabbed my phone, and i notice a crack in the front (first thought it was a hair). I did not drop it, and handle it with care.

aoVVAl.jpg

Any chance this will fall under warrenty, i have no idea how this crack got there.

This might sound odd but can you see it at all angles or does it disappear? I have spot on mine that is not a crack but looks like a piece of hair under the glass but I can only see at extreme angles.

Kal

Just checked my task manager; I'm using 644/780MB of my RAM after clearing memory and ending all active applications. Forgive my ignorance but is there any reason why I should be using that much RAM?

kehs

Banned
Just checked my task manager; I'm using 644/780MB of my RAM after clearing memory and ending all active applications. Forgive my ignorance but is there any reason why I should be using that much RAM?

Yes, that's what RAM is meant to be used for. To keep thing in memory so they are quickly accessible.

Stop using task killers and clearing memory. Anytime you clear applications from RAM the OS will reload them into memory by design. If you run an active task killer you will end up having your phone working 100% of the time just clearing/reloading apps in an endless cycle all the while gobbling your battery. This isn't Windows 95.

Kal

Yes, that's what RAM is meant to be used for. To keep thing in memory so they are quickly accessible.

Stop using task killers and clearing memory. Anytime you clear applications from RAM the OS will reload them into memory by design. If you run an active task killer you will end up having your phone working 100% of the time just clearing/reloading apps in an endless cycle all the while gobbling your battery. This isn't Windows 95.

I'm confused so please bear with me; if the OS is designed to keep apps in memory why include a task manager in the first place? Why give me the option to clear applications I have no intention of using at the moment if they are going to be reloaded? Sorry if my questions sound stupid; this is my first Android phone and I'm trying to understand it. The only reason I opened the application manager was to see if there was anything running that could drain the battery as I've already turned off GPS, mobile data, syncing and the screen brightness is turned all the way down, and I'm still getting shitty battery life.

Cipherr

I'm confused so please bear with me; if the OS is designed to keep apps in memory why include a task manager in the first place?

Because its purpose isnt really for your to micro manage closing down apps, its purpose is to allow you to multitask. Don't think of it as a Task Manager, its more of a Window switcher. Or a taskbar in windows. Minimize something by hitting your home key, and switch to a browser window you had open earlier. Then later you can open the Tasker to maximize your media player to swap songs currently playing in your radio app. Its purpose is to allow you to swap windows.

Apps that are still open dont drain battery unless they have pull/push services as far as I know. The OS manages that on its own. You dont need to worry about shutting down stuff you aren't using at that moment. You can, but its not necessary to save battery. Any app thats still open is just 'sleep' unless that app pings the system for data or something. A few apps like facebook actually do this alot though from what I hear. So FB might be an app you actually do want to close, but thats a recoil of bad app design, not of the OS.

Kal

Because its purpose isnt really for your to micro manage closing down apps, its purpose is to allow you to multitask. Don't think of it as a Task Manager, its more of a Window switcher. Or a taskbar in windows. Minimize something by hitting your home key, and switch to a browser window you had open earlier. Then later you can open the Tasker to maximize your media player to swap songs currently playing in your radio app. Its purpose is to allow you to swap windows.

Apps that are still open dont drain battery unless they have pull/push services as far as I know. The OS manages that on its own. You dont need to worry about shutting down stuff you aren't using at that moment. You can, but its not necessary to save battery.

Thanks for the explanation. Do apps like JuiceDefender really help battery life?

kehs

Banned
I'm confused so please bear with me; if the OS is designed to keep apps in memory why include a task manager in the first place? Why give me the option to clear applications I have no intention of using at the moment if they are going to be reloaded? Sorry if my questions sound stupid; this is my first Android phone and I'm trying to understand it. The only reason I opened the application manager was to see if there was anything running that could drain the battery as I've already turned off GPS, mobile data, syncing and the screen brightness is turned all the way down, and I'm still getting shitty battery life.

Depends, which task manager are you talking about? The recent apps, or the Settings>Apps one?

For the former, it's mainly about convenience and transparent memory management. As in you indirectly tell the OS what's more important by swiping away stuff you're not using. The system learns what apps it should prioritize when reloading into memory.

If you're talking about the later, it's mainly for apps that are misbehaving. Force Stopping is the equivalent of going into Task Manager on windows an "Ending All Processes". Apps can start services that do stuff in the background. So this Force Stop, basically resets the app as if it was the first time loading after booting up the device.

As for battery life, you might have an app that is coded shittly by the developer (facebook rings a bell).

kehs

Banned
Showed the phone to my friends yesterday, first thing they all said was "It's so thin!".

That's what she said!

No, but seriously, it is crazy thin, I didn't get a full feel for it at the store because of the security pogo thing, but it's insane how thing it is.

That's what she said!

No, but seriously, it is crazy thin, I didn't get a full feel for it at the store because of the security pogo thing, but it's insane how thing it is.

And light. I haven't played around much with the S3, but I have with the S2. It's unbeleivably thing a light. Almost unimaginable that there is such powerfull hardware inside.

aoVVAl.jpg

same thing happened to me, but less noticeable, it's a crack. I don't know how it happened too.

I did drop my phone before, but I checked, the glass was fine, the bottom chrome bit had a bit of knock.

Traded in my one X to get the S3 and I love it so far. The home button has a weird feel to it but that's alright. Battery life is comparable to my iPhone 4, and I got 2 extended batteries off amazon. I started running the CM10 previews and man is this thing fast.

I still don't know how I feel about the battery life over the next 2 years and whether or not I like Android over iOS either.

Traded in my one X to get the S3 and I love it so far. The home button has a weird feel to it but that's alright. Battery life is comparable to my iPhone 4, and I got 2 extended batteries off amazon. I started running the CM10 previews and man is this thing fast.

I still don't know how I feel about the battery life over the next 2 years and whether or not I like Android over iOS either.

Are the extended batteries much better than the one that comes with the phone?

Can someone explain why people whose numbers I've programmed into my contacts list still show up as "UNKNOWN"?

I didn't get caller ID on my plan, so I understand that people I don't know will show up as Unknown, but why do all the people in my contacts list not show their name? It's the weirdest thing.

kehs

Banned
Can someone explain why people whose numbers I've programmed into my contacts list still show up as "UNKNOWN"?

I didn't get caller ID on my plan, so I understand that people I don't know will show up as Unknown, but why do all the people in my contacts list not show their name? It's the weirdest thing.

Does the number show up when they call?

chixdiggit

I have my S3 set to where it reads aloud the contacts name when they call. Is there a way to change how something is pronounced?

soultron

Banned

I didn't get caller ID on my plan
, so I understand that people I don't know will show up as Unknown, but why do all the people in my contacts list not show their name? It's the weirdest thing.

There's your problem right there. Carriers block any information from being displayed on an incoming call (even if you have the number stored) unless you have CID. At least, that's how it was in my case. Call and (nicely) complain and you might get CID for free.

Kyoufu

There's your problem right there. Carriers block any information from being displayed on an incoming call (even if you have the number stored) unless you have CID. At least, that's how it was in my case. Call and (nicely) complain and you might get CID for free.

You have to get CID with your plan? What. It's standard over here...

I've installed CM10 last night and although it run alright and Google Now is OK for the first 10 minutes, I don't see why people get so hung up about having the latest updates straight away and complain about Samsung taking their time.

It's no faster than stock and I don't think Google Now or the better notifications are even worth the effort of having to root and flash the ROMs to get it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I've installed CM10 last night and although it run alright and Google Now is OK for the first 10 minutes, I don't see why people get so hung up about having the latest updates straight away and complain about Samsung taking their time.

It's no faster than stock and I don't think Google Now or the better notifications are even worth the effort of having to root and flash the ROMs to get it.

The Google voice search and project butter are worth it alone. Not to mention you get rid of all that crap the carrier puts on the phone.

Just joined the club today as well . I apologize if its been answered but is there any way to stop sms messages from appearing in the default email app? Im not using the combined view either.
**edit** Found it. Under the exchange settings there was a sync sms option. Very odd it would even exist.

Also is there a way to have gmail as a chooseable account in the default mail app or do i need to treat it as a separate app?

Thanks all in advance.

I tried CM10 for a while last night too. It seemed a lot smoother but for some reason I was getting a much lower score in linpack. Don't know if that really matters but I got like ~170-185 mflops on rooted stock LG8 and around 100 in CM10. Menus did seem a lot smoother though, dunno if the linpack score even matters that much. I think i'm just gonna stick with rooted stock for now anyway

Rooting would be worth the effort even if a JB ROM wasn't released yet. Terrible opinion.

That's not what I said. I said JB isn't worth the effort just for the sake of having it.

People have said in this thread that they will hold off on getting the GS3 because they don't get the updates straight away. My point, is that the phone alone is worth getting it without JB.

upandaway

Rooting would be worth the effort even if a JB ROM wasn't released yet. Terrible opinion.
I haven't really found any reason to root yet. To me it seems like rooting and flashing ROMs would be more appealing for a phone down the line rather than straight away for a new device, no?

That said with all the cloud services, even if I root and wipe it would take me like 15 minutes to get everything up to speed again, so it's not a big deal.

Edit: a bit of a longshot question, but does anyone know if Tasker can turn off the LED indicator based on GPS location?

i wonder if anyone observes this as well,

After the GPS lock in maps, the arrow seems to be 'locked' for about 10 seconds, you could turn around and the direction of the arrow stays static.

AndyD

aka andydumi
i wonder if anyone observes this as well,

After the GPS lock in maps, the arrow seems to be 'locked' for about 10 seconds, you could turn around and the direction of the arrow stays static.

I noticed that too, even on my previous phone. Its only for the initial few seconds, I think it is still getting its bearings. After that its good to go.

I noticed that too, even on my previous phone. Its only for the initial few seconds, I think it is still getting its bearings. After that its good to go.

I wonder if it's caused by the sensor aiding option, I'll try turn that off next time.

I don't see this on my nexus7.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Friend caster is awesome. Pitty about it having advertisements flashing at the bottom though. Oh well life is always a kick in the face the best thing we can do is smile through the pain.

I wasn't to keen on the nova launcher as it made my apps screen have a black background.. Such Eww. When can I get jelly bean on this phone?

I also downloaded the workout trainer il have some fun with that when I'm at the gym trying out its awesome workout plans.

Top Bottom