• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

bigosc2k

Banned
Looks like the "discount" website my job has a partnership with finally came handy for once. So instead of going to the Sprint store and having the device in my hand, I decided to purchase my upgrade which the site was selling it at $219 which I had a code to knock out $15 off from the from price, which brought me down to $204, and here comes the best part NO SALES TAX! So now I play the waiting game till Tuesday.

Also a heads up for anyone who uses Sam's Club. You can get the phone for $160 even if upgrading while on the same carrier. Also they waive the activation fee in a way.

Explain further please. Is this for all carriers? Because Sprint charging $249 for the S4 is BS when the other carriers are $199. So you are talking $160 when upgrading your existing plan?

And what about waiving the activation fee?

Pandemic

New to android from iOS, and my first app is swift key which is sick, great app!

Best way to charge the battery? I read its bad to charge the phone during the night, and that its also bad to drain the battery then charge?

New to android from iOS, and my first app is swift key which is sick, great app!

Best way to charge the battery? I read its bad to charge the phone during the night, and that its also bad to drain the battery then charge?

this might explain a lot for me then....

I do recall seeing the words that it doesn't necessarily do good to drain the battery completely and recharge. not sure about charging at night though.

the battery circuitry in modern phone batteries won't allow the battery to be overcharged or undercharged, so these situations aren't really an issue. the one thing you don't want to do is turn on your phone again without charging it if it turns off due to a low battery. in that situation you will want to charge it while off first.

Pandemic

this might explain a lot for me then....

I do recall seeing the words that it doesn't necessarily do good to drain the battery completely and recharge. not sure about charging at night though.

Haha, apologies, I mean while you sleep. So it'll most likely overcharge?

No-one worry about batteries, ever. Charge them as you please. Just, as Faceless said, try not to let them die completely as that can hurt their overall life.

nib95

Banned
Compared this again with the iPhone 5 earlier. No idea why people keep saying the S4s screen is too saturated, set to movie mode there is very little colour accuracy difference between the S4 and i5. The only difference you really notice is the S4s screen has higher contrast, better blacks, and is slightly sharper or cleaner. No black crush issue from the S3 either.

Whites aren't that far off imo either. They're slightly greener, but the i5s seem a bit off too, with a slight blue tinge. I will say, blacks have come a long way on lcd's, still not Amoled level but much better.

Speed wise, S4 transitions (at least on my settings) are generally quicker and snappier across the board, though i5s animations last a touch longer. Where the S4 pauses a split second to load intense apps, the i5 loads them, but pauses internally whilst stuff loads up. For example, the camera app loads instantly, but the shutter stays closed a split second till the app is ready for shooting.

Web browsing speed wise, they traded blows, i5 better on some, s4 on others. I'd say overall the edge went to the S4, especially loading sites such as The Verge where it was a second or more quicker to load. Loading more image heavy sites it seemed to have the edge too.

Aside from that I only tested general use. Didn't do a pixel peeping camera test but briefly comparing I'd say the S4s camera looked quite a degree more detailed, less noisy and more colour accurate (i5s a touch too warm).

In any case, Samsung's made several key strides here. Especially with the screen. Thinking of putting up a comparison video when I have the time.

All the currently available phones are well above 6500K color temperature. Whites won't be white, and by white I mean 'movie white' which is actually a warm yellowish hue, until phone screens can be calibrated to match that standard. The characteristic color of white when you are above 6500K is bluish. Most TVs sold today are intentionally set 'wrong' with default color temperature in the 7000-8000K range, because cooler blue whites look 'better' to the untrained eye. In general when you get your TV home you have to manually change the color temperature to one of the 'Warm' presets to get closer to 6500K and most TVs require further calibration to accurately track it, assuming they even have the settings to do this.

6500K is a calibration which supposedly approximately matches the color of sunlight, which is why it isn't truly 'white' either incidentally. But it's the proper calibration to display video content because that's the color temperature which is expected when they they are authoring it.

newsguy

All the currently available phones are well above 6500K color temperature. Whites won't be white, and by white I mean 'movie white' which is actually a warm yellowish hue, until phone screens can be calibrated to match that standard. The characteristic color of white when you are above 6500K is bluish. Most TVs sold today are intentionally set 'wrong' with default color temperature in the 7000-8000K range, because cooler blue whites look 'better' to the untrained eye. In general when you get your TV home you have to manually change the color temperature to one of the 'Warm' presets to get closer to 6500K and most TVs require further calibration to accurately track it, assuming they even have the settings to do this.

6500K is a calibration which supposedly approximately matches the color of sunlight, which is why it isn't truly 'white' either incidentally. But it's the proper calibration to display video content because that's the color temperature which is expected when they they are authoring it.

Do you mean 5600K? Cause that's the color temp cameras are set at for sunlight (of course differing under certain conditions). Also, I'd like to thank Verizon for being pretty awesome. I pre-ordered my phone on Saturday and already received my shipping confirmation that it will be here the 22nd. After all these years of raping my wallet I'm glad they came through.

kinggroin

Banned
Do you mean 5600K? Cause that's the color temp cameras are set at for sunlight (of course differing under certain conditions). Also, I'd like to thank Verizon for being pretty awesome. I pre-ordered my phone on Saturday and already received my shipping confirmation that it will be here the 22nd. After all these years of raping my wallet I'm glad they came through.

6500k. He's not talking about capturing stills here.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The GS4 active might only have an qualcom s4 plus, not an s600.....well that sucks....

Nope, looks to be a s600:

7JmzugF.jpg

o6xTicD.jpg

2BHNNZC.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/see_the_samsung_galaxy_s4_active_for_the_first_time-news-6069.php

It actually looks better than the OG S4

javac

Hey I'm from the UK and just wanted to say that I've got an update for the s4. It's 74.26mb and claims it improves stability. Haven't installed it yet but I wonder if anyone else has this update and if it's made a difference?

I'm on Orange but my phone came unlocked, unbranded and with no bloat as far as I'm aware. i9505.

Just to be really sure, the charger is a plain old micro USB right? Not some new age cable?

Yup it's all good. But the charger it comes with is said to charge the device much faster.

Ok, all the sudden the phone is audibly telling me (in a friendly lady voice) everything its doing. "Loading page" "Page loaded" "Checkbox is checked"

WTF. I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Okay, apparently is an issue with Samsung phones when new Accessability options are enabled (I turned on NiLS for my notifications.)

So i have to figure out how to disable TTS for all Samsung apps

Okay, apparently is an issue with Samsung phones when new Accessability options are enabled (I turned on NiLS for my notifications.)

This thing kinda blows for me too. Can't use my LED notification app cause it triggers the phone to start talking as well, even with Talkback off.

Blackhead

Redarse

Nils:
Samsung S4 Hack Install 3rd part TTS Engine like "Classic Text-to-Speech", DO NOT install any language pack, then change it to be your default TTS engine on Android Device Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output

This thing kinda blows for me too. Can't use my LED notification app cause it triggers the phone to start talking as well, even with Talkback off.

Yeah, the NiLS update gave a workaround in the instructions:

Install 3rd party app Classic Text To Speech. Don't download any language packs. Set it as default TTS. Done.

Edit* beaten.

Hey I'm from the UK and just wanted to say that I've got an update for the s4. It's 74.26mb and claims it improves stability. Haven't installed it yet but I wonder if anyone else has this update and if it's made a difference?

I'm on Orange but my phone came unlocked, unbranded and with no bloat as far as I'm aware. i9505.

Yup it's all good. But the charger it comes with is said to charge the device much faster.
ah ok thanks. Yeah I am thinking of getting extra cables so I dont have to carry this one everywhere with me

Just pre-ordered mine from verizon. First time I've pre-ordered a phone without seeing it in person. Hoping to get it before the long weekend. Do those who have this phone suggest getting a screen protector and case or is it not necessary?

Sorry for DP, but smart pause isn't working for some reason. The eye icon in the status bar will light up for a second when it recognizes my eyes but then it goes gray again. What's up? /:

Menelaus

Banned
My Verizon rep has now screwed up my 2nd order in a row, and I've got a black unit coming my way instead of white. Totally bummed, but I dunno if I'll care enough to swap when it comes in.

Also, how is something in transit from Sunday-Wednesday 2 day shipping?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My Verizon rep has now screwed up my 2nd order in a row, and I've got a black unit coming my way instead of white. Totally bummed, but I dunno if I'll care enough to swap when it comes in.

Because it's not shipping till Monday (today), maybe? Most couriers don't ship on Sunday.

Mesoian

Good god damn question...

Menelaus

Banned
Because it's not shipping till Monday (today), maybe? Most couriers don't ship on Sunday.

Definitely not the case!

5/19/2013 - Sunday
4:28 pm
In transit

MEMPHIS, TN
3:45 pm
At local FedEx facility

MEMPHIS, TN
1:26 pm
In transit

MEMPHIS, TN
1:09 am