• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Aku wants Jack dead. That is the whole point of the end fight and phone call. Aku doesn't know he lost the sword either.

Aku can't find out if Jack kills everyone he encounters.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Regarding Aku, from interviews with Genndy and those who have seen the first two or three episodes:

He's just depressed about Jack still being alive after 50 years of trying to kill him, and is staying holed up in his citadel.

I love that. I love everything about that. Im just imagining Aku
ordering a bunch of pizzas and eating his feelings away while watching cartoons

B33

Banned
Aku wants Jack dead. That is the whole point of the end fight and phone call. Aku doesn't know he lost the sword either.

Aku can't find out if Jack kills everyone he encounters.

Aku and Jack have both became stagnant because they're in a stalemate, or what they perceive to be a stalemate because Aku doesn't know Jack lost his sword.

Sou Da

I don't believe this was explicitly explained in the first episode but perhaps it will be by the end of the season.

Edit: A theory (per Bronx-Man) is that it's a side effect of the time travel portal.

It's not a theory, it's confirmed in the description of the season 5 trailer

TheFlow

Banned
Lol that was confirmed in the opening of the first episode.

Also that green lookin samurai is definitely a late game foe.

I feel the 7 sisters arc will be concluded quicker than I thought

B33

Banned
Lol that was confirmed in the opening of the first episode

I wasn't aware that it was explicitly confirmed by the trailer's description.

The episode itself leaves it ambiguous, which I prefer. There doesn't need to an explicit explanation for it beyond it being because he traveled through the time portal.

Xe4

Banned
Shit, forgot about this, where can I watch?
If you have cable, the re-watch times are Wednesday at 8:00 PM and Thursday at 12:30 AM.
Source: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/schedule/

If not, I can't seem to find any way to legally stream it, yet. But you can buy it for like $3 bucks (or the whole season for like $20, and save $10).

Wait, the horned rider ISN'T Aku???

Nobody knows, but I think signs point to no.
According to previews, next episode has Aku being shown holed up in his lair, not really interacting with the outside world altogether too much. I can't, then, imagine him being the rider seen in that shot.

cntr

Banned
The main theories I've seen is that the Green Rider is the guy who defeated Jack and made him lose his sword, or a guy who helped Jack after he lost his sword, or a mental manifestation of Jack's disappointment in himself. It's all really Berserk-like, haha.

It could be Aku, but it doesn't really seem like his style. And the whole antler thing seems to be based off this guy.

It may be
a vision of Jack that never goes back to the past to defeat Aku and remains in this dystopic future
Oh yeah, and I've seen this theory making the rounds too.

Nobody knows, but I think signs point to no.
According to previews, next episode has Aku being shown holed up in his lair, not really interacting with the outside world altogether too much. I can't, then, imagine him being the rider seen in that shot.

Apparently,
episode 2 has Aku talking to a shrink

Zubz

Banned
I'm curious. You think time was passing during that episode or are do these girls just age really fast?

I'm thinking the former (It'd take a relative lifetime to get to the point where you could fight a man as skilled as Jack), but there's a lot they could do with the latter to make them tragic opponents, while also giving Jack an "out" to having to deal with the moral ramifications (Since they'd probably continue aging past the fight we see in the previews).

Maybe Jack will only age if he
has his sword
because magic predestination needs him in peak physical condition to slay Aku.

Toa TAK

Banned
Watched it finally. Enjoyed the guilt trips Jack takes in this, they're well done and demonstrates the artistry of the show. The leaves being people running down the river was powerful imagery.

Cyanity

Banned
Welp. Tried the Adult swim link; authenticated my FIOS subscription no problem, then was immediately greeted with an endlessly spinning loading bar and google chrome proudly proclaiming that flash has been blocked. Went into settings and enabled flash on all sites and...still an infinite loading bar and the "plugin blocked" message up top. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Tizoc

I'm curious. You think time was passing during that episode or are do these girls just age really fast?

I'm thinking the former (It'd take a relative lifetime to get to the point where you could fight a man as skilled as Jack), but there's a lot they could do with the latter to make them tragic opponents, while also giving Jack an "out" to having to deal with the moral ramifications (Since they'd probably continue aging past the fight we see in the previews).
Their scene was a montage of their training over the years, ending with them setting out to kill jack in the present time
It didnt necessarily have to take place alongside jack's events in this episode.
Reference to old episodes of Jack
Maki is sooo good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y57fFLHnmI
Mako
It's Mako :x

TheFlow

Banned
Welp. Tried the Adult swim link; authenticated my FIOS subscription no problem, then was immediately greeted with an endlessly spinning loading bar and google chrome proudly proclaiming that flash has been blocked. Went into settings and enabled flash on all sites and...still an infinite loading bar and the "plugin blocked" message up top. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I think you can watch it on other places. Can't name hem here

Edit: dailymotion is definitely the place for cartoon episodes that recently aired.

TheFlow

Banned
Genndy still dances circles around everyone else in the West.

The King is back. Lets hope he doesn't get treated dirty again.
He didn't get treated dirty more along the lines the shows he worked on weren't profitable for CNN. CNN is a business firstmost. I believe one of the peopel who worked on Symbiotic Titan mentioned the show got canned because it couldn't produce merchandise

Xe4

Banned
He didn't get treated dirty more along the lines the shows he worked on weren't profitable for CNN. CNN is a business firstmost. I believe one of the peopel who worked on Symbiotic Titan mentioned the show got canned because it couldn't produce merchandise

To be fair, whilst I don't think SJ got canned (he just moved on and then all of CN got a shake up a year later, going by interviews), it's undeniable something like SBT got fucked over. It was just a product of the times, every cartoon on CN was getting fucked, whether it be SBT, or YJ, or even GL:TAS (this was around the time of the horrendous CN Real, to give some perspective). I have no doubt CN would've loved to have the show back nowadays, and I think it and even stuff like SBT would do very well along side Steven Universe and the like. They just thought it would be even better at AS, which it would be.

Samurai Jack was definitely ahead of its time in '04, and was the same level of quality as stuff like Steven Universe, over ten years later. I think this newest season has the ability to push boundaries even further, but only time will tell.

SymBionic Titan was some really, really good stuff. That was the last time I was pretty interested in non-Film U.S. animation until now.

And Korra I guess but ugggghhhh

They really didn't miss a step with this new season, feels like it could've aired right back when it was on. All 2D animation, no awkward new CGI, looks identical to previous iterations. Crazy how consistent it is. It's good to be back.

They really didn't miss a step with this new season, feels like it could've aired right back when it was on. All 2D animation, no awkward new CGI, looks identical to previous iterations. Crazy how consistent it is. It's good to be back.

The bike uses CG in a few shots. It's in pretty much all of Genndy's work in some capacity now.

olag

Really interested to see what they do with the 7 sisters.Also lol at the cult worshipping a wooden carving of Aku when his assassins got him on speed dial.

The Vulture article in this thread's OP makes the bold claim that Genndy Tartakovsky is the world's greatest living action filmmaker.

It was right.

Re: Jack never killing any non-demon, non-robot, non-monster characters

What about Jack and he Bounty Hunters? Those were "normal," sentient characters, and some humans at that.

Re: Jack never killing any non-demon, non-robot, non-monster characters

What about Jack and he Bounty Hunters? Those were "normal," sentient characters, and some humans at that.

Maybe he didn't kill-kill them? I mean, he roughed them up, but outside of that one dude exploding (people have come back from worse in the show anyway) I don't think they explicitly showed anyone biting it the way they usually do with the robots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom