• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Sym-Bionic Titan had romance to it, sure, but it was also a different show with its own tone and style.

Also, with the way Jack and Ashi have been depicted, a romance between them would be creepy. Jack's going to see her as a young kid who's had her life ruined because of him, and that's if he doesn't just end up killing her before finding out. There's not going to be romance, it just doesn't work on multiple levels.

Well okay, what about if we still delved into the complexities of Jack's repressed emotions of not wanting to form anymore social relationships by providing him with daughter fig--

*suddenly remembers all the ridiculous/extremely unneeded Last of Us comparisons in the Logan thread*

You know what? Forget what I said. Carry on.

Well okay, what about if we still delved into the complexities of Jack's repressed emotions of not wanting to form anymore social relationships by providing him with daughter fig--

*suddenly remembers all the ridiculous/extremely unneeded Last of Us comparisons in the Logan thread*

You know what? Forget what I said. Carry on.

Was just about to post something similar lol. Grizzled surrogate dads are so chic right now.

I hope the ashi thing was just a red herring and they will end up focusing/building up each of Aku's daughters. Except one they should kill at least one early on.

Christ, just realized that Tom Kenny (SpongeBob) was Scaramouch. He has a lot of range.

Also, if the original series ended on episode 52, why is this new episode 92?

What's weird is that the episodes originally weren't titled with Roman numerals. They all were named in the style "Jack and the _____". Only with the reairing on Adult Swim this year did they switch to Roman numeral titles.

Tubobutts

What's weird is that the episodes originally weren't titled with Roman numerals. They all were named in the style "Jack and the _____". Only with the reairing on Adult Swim this year did they switch to Roman numeral titles.
The episodes always had Roman numerals that would show up right before the end credits.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, the episode title only showed up at the end of an episode, and it was always in the format "Episode XXVII: Chicken Jack"

Paskil

In other words 3, 13 episode seasons, have occured before this new series

And a Christmas special.

Episode was great. Felt just as good as anything from the first four seasons. So hyped for the rest and looking forward to some resolution. Also, didn't really get a good dose of the new Aku voice from the
phone call
in the first episode. Looking forward to that in the next.

found this
mH72fOL.gif

Wanderer5

Bought the season on Amazon and downloaded the first episode for a road trip back home today. Damn Jack came back awesome, and crazy.:p Jack gives no fucks anymore, and the scenes showing his craziness are so good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone playing Zelda loving the similarities? I mean outside of hero from the past in the future deal.

More like have you read Berserk and love the similarities. Its basically the Black Samurai wandering around fucking shit up.

Also as to the female assassins they're one and done next episode, all of them even if they don't all get offed. I just don't expect any characters to stick around the entire season let alone any kind of silly romance plot. Jack's going to off most if not all of them by the end of next episode, maybe Ashi as well. However I don't think we'll see her after that.

Harpoon

More like have you read Berserk and love the similarities. Its basically the Black Samurai wandering around fucking shit up.

Also as to the female assassins they're one and done next episode, all of them even if they don't all get offed. I just don't expect any characters to stick around the entire season let alone any kind of silly romance plot. Jack's going to off most if not all of them by the end of next episode, maybe Ashi as well. However I don't think we'll see her after that.

Genndy has described this entire season as being a 5 hour movie. With that in mind, I don't think the assassins are going to just be these minor characters who get killed by Jack and then are done with--or at least Ashi isn't going to be, anyway, after all of the time spent on her in the premiere.

Wanderer5

Just noticed that Greg Baldwin is the new VA for Aku, who was also the new VA for Iroh. I haven't looked that much into Greg before, but now I see that apparently he was Mako's understudy and student. I feel he did fine with Iroh, so I sure the same will be with Aku.

I'm probably going to write my thoughts up later in a more fleshed out manner, but having watched XCII a couple of times now, and planning to watch it more, that is 10/10 TV. Period. I'm honestly of the opinion that the comedic timing leading up to Scaramouche saying "Saaaaamuraiiii Jaaaaack" is amazing. The first time I watched the episode, I was almost crying laughing. Tom Kenny nailed that role. It was also the first time in that episode that it screamed "Jack is Back" to me. The juggling of the more serious and light-hearted tones was done extremely well.

B33

Banned
No love for that baller as fuck title card?

source.gif

You know a show is on point when it's making pulls from John Carpenter's The Thing.

Interesting factoid: The Thing title sequence was created by putting a garbage bag over the letters inside a fish tank. They shone a light through the fish tank to "illuminate" the letters and burned the bag while filming from the "front" of the tank. I believe they also incorporated a fog around the tank to blend it.

zeemumu

Interesting factoid: The Thing title sequence was created by putting a garbage bag over the letters inside a fish tank. They shone a light through the fish tank to "illuminate" the letters and burned the bag while filming from the "front" of the tank. I believe they also incorporated a fog around the tank to blend it.

Damn, even the title sequence was a mastery of practical effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom