• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xezuru

The Vulture article in this thread's OP makes the bold claim that Genndy Tartakovsky is the world's greatest living action filmmaker.

It was right.

I think in the in overall quality in the animation industry, Gendy is probably the hardest to top because he can do action, and just pure storytelling by movement. But when it comes to pure action there's stuff like the DMC3 Cutscene director whom is phenomenal and probably the top of that field, and there was indie people like the now passed Monty Oum who was close to that level but closes the gap with a crazy eye for creativity.

Xe4

Banned
Re: Jack never killing any non-demon, non-robot, non-monster characters

What about Jack and he Bounty Hunters? Those were "normal," sentient characters, and some humans at that.

There was actually and interview about this recently:

One of the big developments here is the idea that Jack is facing flesh-and-blood people instead of robots, mutants, or aliens. Is this meant to be completely new ground for the series?

Yeah, it is. The whole conceit of the first series is that we couldn't kill a human. He fought some, but he never killed them. He always had to find a way around it. When you're fighting a machine that's programmed, that has one singular goal and has no emotion, like we say in the show, ”It's just nuts and bolts, it doesn't matter." But when he faces something real, with feelings, that has a choice, he can't just easily kill it.

Whenever this comes up, on Reddit or on comment boards, someone will bring up the bounty hunter episode and say, ”He killed them, and they were definitely people!"

Some of those bounty hunters were definitely alien-like. But maybe they're right! [Laughs] In my head, they were robots. I'd have to look at that episode again. I remember the episode, but I think they were mostly aliens. There were a couple of humans, but maybe they didn't die.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/10/1...genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim

So, I don't think he actually killed them. Either they got messed up bad or they were robots. Anyhow, if the bar is sentient characters, you just have to look at X-9 to see where that falls apart. It's interesting, Jack only killing robots was obviously done for censorship purposes, but it became cannon.

Super duper episode 2/3 spoilers below, do not click if you do not want to get spoiled:
It is very obvious he kills someone next episode, their throat gets slashed, apparently.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
Anyone know when/if it's gonna rerun on Adult Swim? I have to record it on my DVR again.

Edit: NVM, a quick search shows it's gonna rerun on Wednesday.

That was a fantastic episode and gorgeous.

Regarding Aku, from interviews with Genndy and those who have seen the first two or three episodes:

He's just depressed about Jack still being alive after 50 years of trying to kill him, and is staying holed up in his citadel.

That is awesome. It's so him lol.

I love that. I love everything about that. Im just imagining Aku
ordering a bunch of pizzas and eating his feelings away while watching cartoons

Yeah.

Looking forward to hearing Greg Baldwin in the role, he did a great job in both the rest of TLA and Korra.

TheShah

The way Jack says "their just nuts and bolts" over and over again makes me think they're setting up a reveal where a lot of the machines he killed over the years were actually people and he just thought of them all as robots to cope. Cue flashblack of all the blood he's shed over the years on his path. Might be too dark for Samurai Jack though.

Chris R

Never seen an episode before, really like it though. Terrific art styles and lots of action AND story. Same can't be said for other offerings on CN Saturday night............

Superb restart for the series. Terrific animation unsurprisingly, and the Aku daughters storyline is very fascinating. Considering that Samurai Jack has never done a story arc before due to it being made before those basically a requirement for action cartoons, I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Also, Tyler Bates proved me correct with the music. There was very little of it, but most of it sounded like the "beat music". Heh!

So, I don't think he actually killed them. Either they got messed up bad or they were robots. Anyhow, if the bar is sentient characters, you just have to look at X-9 to see where that falls apart. It's interesting, Jack only killing robots was obviously done for censorship purposes, but it became cannon.

Well if he didn't kill them, he certainly left them very much unconscious for a long period of time.

Maybe he didn't kill-kill them? I mean, he roughed them up, but outside of that one dude exploding (people have come back from worse in the show anyway) I don't think they explicitly showed anyone biting it the way they usually do with the robots.

There was actually and interview about this recently:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/10/1...genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim

Aaeow2Q.png

Psh, yeah ... right.

I know Tartakovsky can't come out and admit to Jack straight up killing people, but it happened in that episode.

Regardless, the brutality of the show's action was there from the beginning, so robot or no, it always felt bloody.

Psh, yeah ... right.

I know Tartakovsky can't come out and admit to Jack straight up killing people, but it happened in that episode.

Regardless, the brutality of the show's action was there from the beginning, so robot or no, it always felt bloody.

For the purposes of the narrative Tartakovsky is telling in Season 5, Jack didn't kill them.

Nikodemos

Aku wants Jack dead. That is the whole point of the end fight and phone call. Aku doesn't know he lost the sword either.

Aku can't find out if Jack kills everyone he encounters.
Scaramouche wasn't very smart. He should've pulled a runner the moment he realised Jack didn't have his sword.
Jack can chop up random mooks, regular or elite, just fine without it. It's Aku who's the issue.
I guess his bounty hunter ego got the best of him.

caliph95

Scaramouche wasn't very smart. He should've pulled a runner the moment he realised Jack didn't have his sword.
Jack can chop up random mooks, regular or elite, just fine without it. It's Aku who's the issue.
I guess his bounty hunter ego got the best of him.
He did say he was Aku's favourite Assassin like the last guy who was his favourite.

Fj0823

So yeah, am I the only one who feels that new girl is totally being set up as a
traitor and potential love interest?

The other 6 were pretty much faceless minions

Xe4

Banned
So outside of the Guardian and the Scotsmans who else is equal or greater to Jack?

The Hunter race is all else I can think of, but that was still 3v1.

Also the Minions of Set. Jack "won" but he had to bring in a god to help him, so I don't think it counts.

If it serves a story purpose, then I'm all for it.

but they ded

There's no reason they couldn't be robots either. Tons of humanoid/human looking mother fuckers turned out to be robots. Anyhow the point is, it wasn't obvious that they died.

Lying face down motionless in the snow after being slashed with a sword/blown up, having displayed no signs of being inorganic machines like every other robot enemy in the series

Sounds good to me!

I mean, even as of this episode Jack's technically "killed" people in his mind, since he's been gone for so long. I think that might be what sends him over the tipping point and results in him probably unceremoniously killing a human later down the line.

Also, does anyone think it's possible
Scaramouche isn't actually dead? Yeah, I mean, they had to play up the first real "kill" of Jack's for the return, and I know Samurai Jack loves establishing all these quirky characters only to succinctly off them in the same episode, but I think it'd be interesting if he basically had to face a mini-Aku as preparation this season - that is, someone who can't really die for real with Jack in his current state.

I mean, even as of this episode Jack's technically "killed" people in his mind, since he's been gone for so long. I think that might be what sends him over the tipping point and results in him probably unceremoniously killing a human later down the line.

Also, does anyone think it's possible
Scaramouche isn't actually dead? Yeah, I mean, they had to play up the first real "kill" of Jack's for the return, and I know Samurai Jack loves establishing all these quirky characters only to succinctly off them in the same episode, but I think it'd be interesting if he basically had to face a mini-Aku as preparation this season - that is, someone who can't really die for real with Jack in his current state.

Nah, he was a total throwaway.

Alternatively:
maybe to get his sword back or advance the plot in some capacity Jack is Mega Manning his way through the early episode's villains, considering he took the tuning sword. He could be stockpiling magical stuff to somehow forge a new sword, or maybe try and face Aku without it altogether and not get it back until after he defeats Aku; that'd be a pretty interesting spin considering how much they've built up the magic sword and how they seem to be offering critique on a lot of the old stock tropes that served as the foundation for Samurai Jack in the first "run".

Anyone playing Zelda loving the similarities? I mean outside of hero from the past in the future deal.

Samurai Jack has been evocative of Metroid for me more than anything.

Also, the Samurai Jack reboot combined with BotW's release are making me really sad a Metroid animated series by Genndy Tartakovsky set after the events of Fusion is never happening. nintendo pls

I'm definitely digging the ancient-hero-missing-a-sword-so-scavenge-stuff-to-defeat-an-ancient-evil-in-a-beautiful-but-ravaged-land scenario it shares with Breath of the Wild.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Definitely the former.

Kinda don't wish for the latter.

The latter could make for an interesting dynamic if done right.

We also got a brief glimpse of such in the very first season with the warrior woman, except for the whole Aku ruse.

The latter could make for an interesting dynamic if done right.

We also got a brief glimpse of such in the very first season with the warrior woman, except for the whole Aku ruse.
Considering that sym bionic Titan had a bit of romance to it, I wouldn't be surprised. And in fact it's welcome from my end. I doubt it'd be anything major considering we're getting only a few episodes

cntr

Banned
I really really doubt we're going to have a romantic interest. It'd go against the tone of the show so badly.

Jack's already like twice Ashi's age physically, and several times more mentally, so if anything, he's going to see her as a kid. It ain't happening.

Tubobutts

I don't see them going for a romance thing, especially with the way Jack is now.

Plus depending on how timelines work, she won't exist if he succeeds at his misssion.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I don't see them going for a romance thing, especially with the way Jack is now.

Plus depending on how timelines work, she won't exist if he succeeds at his misssion.

That'll only make it more interesting for me though.

But I agree with the fact that the massive age difference makes it ridiculously incompatible at this point. If anything, it should've been a card that was played way back when during the original series that would have slightly seeped into the current.

cntr

Banned
Sym-Bionic Titan had romance to it, sure, but it was also a different show with its own tone and style.

Also, with the way Jack and Ashi have been depicted, a romance between them would be creepy. Jack's going to see her as a young kid who's had her life ruined because of him, and that's if he doesn't just end up killing her before finding out. There's not going to be romance, it just doesn't work on multiple levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom