• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily next episode, mind you, but is anyone half-expecting Jack to have to deal with a God of War situation where he "dies" and has to fight / cheat his way out of the afterlife?

Well, i mean, the possibility is kinda reduced seeing how much of a powerhouse he still is in his current state, but still

EDIT: partially thinking this because a lot of signs are pointing to the mysterious green horse guy being Death, straight-up, and i'm kind of expecting an interaction at some point

Ecotic

Does anyone else think the mysterious horseman is Phantom Ganon? I can't be the only one who has thought it.
vmybzhaklwky.png

c4627c772aaf98387c8184b1979c7214.jpg

Ecotic

I expected Jack to have his confidence back but still fall short vs. the 6 of them, and for the wolf to come to his aid.

Seesaw15

Those assassins didn't choose though. That was circumstance for them.

Same could be said for Jack though. Even if Jack had some semblance of a childhood from birth his path to defeat Aku was already set.

That foreshadowing though with the male and female deer.... one of the surviving daughters is going to fall in love with jack and vice versa ����

I know they're both in their 20's since Jack stopped aging when he arrived in the future but I hope they don't do that. Jack clearly wants companionship but the girl is a child mentally.

Yep, I was like how he'd get so beast after last episode he was struggling? And then when he threw the weapon away I was like "The Fuck are You Doing?" But he got their asses.
I feel like as soon as he defeats Aku, his mental barriers are going to fall, completely, if he's not already dead. He's pretty much running on shock and if he ever finds out where they came from...

I feel like the Scotsman might contribute to his breakdown, maybe a fight might occur between the two? Probably not though.

Also that scene where Jack fucking straight up turned One-Punch Man was so fucking brutal. Just a neck snap from sheer force. I was like, god damn Jack, you're too damn strong!

I hope, before the season is done, we see one more fight with an aku assassin or bounty hunter. Scaramouche wouldn't be a bad last assassin to go out on but one more (hopefully just as bombastic) assassin I think would round out this seasons villain roster nicely.

Not necessarily next episode, mind you, but is anyone half-expecting Jack to have to deal with a God of War situation where he "dies" and has to fight / cheat his way out of the afterlife?

Well, i mean, the possibility is kinda reduced seeing how much of a powerhouse he still is in his current state, but still

EDIT: partially thinking this because a lot of signs are pointing to the mysterious green horse guy being Death, straight-up, and i'm kind of expecting an interaction at some point
Me too. He just seems like Death and when the younger Jack is talking to him in the beetle bot it references him. If not Death, than some sort of death/dark magic type of demon.
Jack the fucking Dragon Hunter!! King Jack is coming!
I think the mysterious horseman is Jack himself.
Maybe a Past-Future version of him? Evil or corrupted version? I'm leaning more towards Death itself.
To the point I wonder if this season ends with him going to the past like they keep telling us.....or maybe him finally finding some happiness/meaning in the future
His whole PTSD is based around not saving the people in the Past. Feel like he will go back, but he can't fit in and so will go into the future and guard the time portal. Find fulfillment in that. Maybe pull a TLoU with the Ahri or that ninja girl.

bunbun777

I blurted out to my gf "that wolf better take off and never come back." Couldn't take seeing him give up even more, very glad they left it at that. Physical care but also nursed back his psyche.

It's going to be so good when he gets his sword back.

Blues1990

I blurted out to my gf "that wolf better take off and never come back." Couldn't take seeing him give up even more, very glad they left it at that. Physical care but also nursed back his psyche.

It's going to be so good when he gets his sword back.

Do you think we will see exactly how Jack lost his sword, aside from that brief flashback sequence?

I'm gonna be contrarian here and say that I don't see Ashii or any of the other Daughters being a thing past this point.

The Daughters honestly just felt like villains of a non-Jack focused episode (Like The Princess and the Bounty Hunters or The Tale of X9), tragic characters who have been raised for one purpose, with all their other desires and feelings quashed at a young age, no concept of the world besides the simplistic views instilled in them, and ultimately are so brainwashed that they race towards their deaths despite Jack telling them flat out that they would die when their fight started and subtly signalling for them to turn back throughout the fight. The only reason they seemingly got so much focus is because the serialized nature of this season led them to take what probably would have been a 1 episode plot and spit it up into the B-plot of 3 episodes, the A-plot of those being Jack reaching his lowest point and having to re-discover his resolve. Both plots seem to have reached their climax this episode, and the next episode preview seems to indicate the start of a new arc (with Jack seemingly trying to retrieve his sword), so I'm just getting the feeling that The Daughters' story is over.

On top of all that, Ashii's dialog at the end really felt like the kind of defiant, obsessed speech you get from a villain when they're just about to meet their doom, so that doesn't help her case.

Still, Jack clearly has to survive the fall he takes at the end of this episode somewhow, and if he can survive, then maybe...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Monstrous Jack Hallucination: You've finally taken a human life! Are you willing to live with the possibility of taking more?!

Jack: Yeah.

[PUNCHES ASSASSIN SO HARD THEIR NECK SNAPS]

Jack justified it with the speech his father gave him as a kid when he had to kill to protect his family. We're all just the choices we make, finding out those girls never got to make a choice may just fuck with him pretty hard.

Interesting.

After the part with the Aku daughters recognizing the deer as a minion of aku due to his horns, I can't help but feel the strange horseman in a different light due to his helmet.

Jocund

I'm gonna be contrarian here and say that I don't see Ashii or any of the other Daughters being a thing past this point.

The Daughters honestly just felt like villains of a non-Jack focused episode (Like The Princess and the Bounty Hunters or The Tale of X9), tragic characters who have been raised for one purpose, with all their other desires and feelings quashed at a young age, no concept of the world besides the simplistic views instilled in them, and ultimately are so brainwashed that they race towards their deaths despite Jack telling them flat out that they would die when their fight started and subtly signalling for them to turn back throughout the fight. The only reason they seemingly got so much focus is because the serialized nature of this season led them to take what probably would have been a 1 episode plot and spit it up into the B-plot of 3 episodes, the A-plot of those being Jack reaching his lowest point and having to re-discover his resolve. Both plots seem to have reached their climax this episode, and the next episode preview seems to indicate the start of a new arc (with Jack seemingly trying to retrieve his sword), so I'm just getting the feeling that The Daughters' story is over.

On top of all that, Ashii's dialog at the end really felt like the kind of defiant, obsessed speech you get from a villain when they're just about to meet their doom, so that doesn't help her case.

Still, Jack clearly has to survive the fall he takes at the end of this episode somewhow, and if he can survive, then maybe...
Just going by meta story structure mechanics stuff, you don't give that much attention to an individual member of a generally faceless group of lady assassins if you don't plan on making something of it later. As far as I know, aside from the head mistress (whose sory I also doubt is finished) Ashii is the only named disciple, and the only one we see giving a real fuck about the outside world (peeking outside the fortress, stargazing on guard duty). She's also the last assassin Jack dispatches, and we once again get to see her face. That's too much attention for Ashii. There's no way her arc is finished. It'd be a nice compliment to Jack's, besides.

cntr

Banned
My expectation is that Jack will fight and defeat Ashi, spare her, convince her that he's a good person, and she'll run off to try and live a proper life. I kind of doubt the show's gonna center around people other than Jack and his character development.

And no lol, they aren't going for romance.

why did they randomly kill the crow? lmao
Not sure why but I thought they were going to have the deer start humping off screen as a joke but kind of glad they didnt

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
why did they randomly kill the crow? lmao
Not sure why but I thought they were going to have the deer start humping off screen as a joke but kind of glad they didnt
I thought they were going to have the deer humping on screen. I was like, thank god when it was just rubbing noses.

Tizoc

Bah gawd this episode

The girls limited knowledge of the outside world was a good scene, goes to show how they were treated into making the destruction of Jack the only thing they know in life.
You can't help but feel bad for them but at the same time, their fate is sealed with what they're tying to accomplish.

The scene were 3 of them stood behind each other was brilliant too.

Can't wait for next week's episode XO.

Morlas

I honestly wasn't too surprised that when Jack was determined he took out the Daughters pretty quickly, I mean did you see what he did to all of those professional bounty hunters, when they even had the element of surprise,

CDiggity

Once again, Genndy proving why he's the best.

Looks like we are going back to some classic episodic Jack next episode, should be fun.

That was so awesome. Everything was awesome.

Jack is back kind of. A tad more ruthless then before.

I wonder if will see the wolf ever again. That was a cute scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom