• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this episode was a bit rushed and could have been two separate ones, but it was still good.

Honestly, I feel that's been one of my minor gripes with the season, mostly the last 4 episodes. Pacing wise it's pretty fast. I mean it's the good kind of fast, one where it doesn't get incoherent in its speed, but at times the editing can be somewhat abrupt during slower scenes. I feel that I'm only bringing it up because pacing and editing was so good in previous seasons. On the rewatch stream, I was amazed how Tale of X-9 felt like an hour long episode in just 22 minutes and it all flowed together with an extended backstory and a slow paced thriller fight at the end.

At the same time, this season is doing many new things for the series (while still maintaining the same style and direction) and it hasn't truly ruined any scene so far. So, minor, like I said.

Jocund

My understanding was 10 episodes total.

Also, synopsises (synopsisi?) for the next three:

XCVII:
Ashi's search for Jack helps her to see his effect on the world after encountering numerous people and places where he has changed things for the better
XCVIII:
Jack and Ashi overcome a series of dangerous physical and spiritual tests in order to recover Jack's sword
XCIX:
The burgeoning relationship between Jack and Ashi takes a turn after they are hunted by one of the galaxy's deadliest creatures

Kinda beat?

All this sounds hype af

Bronx-Man

Banned
And yes we are >:D
image.php

NEO0MJ

Honestly, I feel that's been one of my minor gripes with the season, mostly the last 4 episodes. Pacing wise it's pretty fast. I mean it's the good kind of fast, one where it doesn't get incoherent in its speed, but at times the editing can be somewhat abrupt during slower scenes.

I'd rather this over some of the slower paced stuff I saw last year.

Zubz

Banned
Heck. For some reason, I'm fine with episode description spoilers for some shows, but with Jack being a limited series, I don't think I like having episode descriptions up to the 8th one. I liked it better when we didn't have anything but the teasers. It might've just been my cable company, but the first 4 episodes didn't have any descriptions other than the episode numbers.

...And in retrospect, the 4th episode was the one that was bumped a week for the Surprise Rick & Morty Marathon. And when the 4th episode actually aired, it suddenly had a description. I wonder if that had anything to do with the lack of episode descriptions early on?

I believe I was 11 when I saw the premiere. Damn I feel old...

IIRC, I was 9, & I still have to agree.

TheOGB

Banned
this thread is hilarious tbh

This is the first time. Even more interesting, Jack seemed to know who he was, when he agreed that it *was* time.
I was buggin' out when he showed up this time. In the previous episodes it was like "Ooh, spooky samurai, what's he up to? Just creeping again," but this time I was actually shocked. It was the suddenness of him appearing, then speaking, and then Jack willingly going with him. I had no idea what to expect from ghost samurai and that creeped me the hell out.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I think its good. Jack deserves some love in his life after 70+ years of living. Points for her not being damsel in distress and seeing through her mother's bullshit brainwashing quickly with her own eyes. That plot point did not need to drag on more than one episode.

caliph95

Heck. For some reason, I'm fine with episode description spoilers for some shows, but with Jack being a limited series, I don't think I like having episode descriptions up to the 8th one. I liked it better when we didn't have anything but the teasers. It might've just been my cable company, but the first 4 episodes didn't have any descriptions other than the episode numbers.

...And in retrospect, the 4th episode was the one that was bumped a week for the Surprise Rick & Morty Marathon. And when the 4th episode actually aired, it suddenly had a description. I wonder if that had anything to do with the lack of episode descriptions early on?

IIRC, I was 9, & I still have to agree.

can't remember but i would be 6 in it's original run

jackal27

Banned
I am almost 100% certain the horseman is the spirit of Jack's sword. Either that or it's himself that he is running away from. The person he knows he needs to become.

NEO0MJ

I think its good. Jack deserves some love in his life after 70+ years of living. Points for her not being damsel in distress and seeing through her mother's bullshit brainwashing quickly with her own eyes. That plot point did not need to drag on more than one episode.

I think any of the daughters had the potential to break from mother's teaching if allowed to drift far enough. Unfortunately for them mother probably knew that by the time they figure it out they'd either killed or be killed by the samurai.

Would be hilarious if he legitimately became ripped and well trained, after taking Jack's advice to heart.

He'd still be too old to keep up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Genndy is gonna pull a fast one and turn the show into a harem anime where its Jack and all the Scotsman daughters. You're welcome.

This is incredible. I've been pretty pissed and depressed the last two days (Turkish referandum) and I was spellbound from the word go.

Incredible.

Simply incredible.

The Guardian's vision of the future showed Jack with a beard, sooo......yeah.

The teaser trailers feature at least one shot of a clean-shaven Jack in the rain with his gi on, so unless that's a flashback he is getting rid of that beard at some point. The Guardian's vision could be from anywhere along the present timeline, as long as it shows a Jack worthy of the portal.

cntr

Banned
The teaser trailers feature at least one shot of a clean-shaven Jack in the rain with his gi on, so unless that's a flashback he is getting rid of that beard at some point. The Guardian's vision could be from anywhere along the present timeline, as long as it shows a Jack worthy of the portal.
That was from the intro, wasn't it?

That said yeah, I think if the Guardian's vision is accurate, it's going to be temporary.

Stoze

I think the green horseman represents Jack's adherence to bushido, and it's calling him back to his hometown to commit seppuku and be with his ancestors in the afterlife. So yeah, I think it's gonna get dark in the next ep or two. Then Ashi will probably snap him out of it, maybe by finding and bringing him his sword.

Jack already had suicidal thoughts from another representation of himself, he's not going to have two.

This is probably the spirit/magical being of his sword telling him it's time to get back to grabbing it.

Jack probably has been running away from his responsibility after depression and the green ranger is haunting him to remind him of what he must do before he gets rid of his insecurities and turns into the white ranger

Stoze

Jack already had suicidal thoughts from another representation of himself, he's not going to have two.

This is probably the spirit/magical being of his sword telling him it's time to get back to grabbing it.

Jack probably has been running away from his responsibility after depression and the green ranger is haunting him to remind him of what he must do before he gets rid of his insecurities and turns into the white ranger

Think about what triggered the green knight to come to him and that scene though; Jack sees all the kids "dead", freaks out, knight comes, and Jack gives in and walks away with him with a sense of defeat. I think if he were going to get the sword back, it would be a hopeful, motivated action, whereas this seems like Jack is giving in to his despair.

I agree that it would be a bit redundant, but this is presumably all in his head after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom