• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about what triggered the green knight to come to him and that scene though; Jack sees all the kids "dead", freaks out, knight comes, and Jack gives in and walks away with him with a sense of defeat. I think if he were going to get the sword back, it would be a hopeful, motivated action, whereas this seems like Jack is giving in to his despair.

I agree that it would be a bit redundant, but this is presumably all in his head after all.

Why would Jack be hopeful about grabbing the sword when he could have been looking for it this whole time, but instead he was been wallowing in depression for who knows how many years that the portals are all gone and that nothing changes. If anything he'd be trying to run away from his role in this never ending fight when he's tired. Hence episode 1 and 2 where he is haunted by the spirits of his dead friends and family who tell him he has forgotten his purpose and he is arguing with himself about how there are no more portals. He wasn't even trying at that point. Then the suicidal thoughts as shown by the sad blue jack. The green ghost has appeared twice before in moments that could be seen as trying to remind him of his purpose. Before when a town was being attacked he'd run there, now we've seen him avoid towns.

I saw that scene as Ashi sparking up something he thought lost when he was showing her everything that was wrong with Aku and what he has done, then immediately they see a town destroyed after he goes through how he is evil incarnate. But before that what does he do? He tells her nothing can be done and that you have to live everyday in this shithole. He has to rely on her to help him out and sees that due to his inability to act timely, as he used to do, a group of children (supposedly) died. He is now following him to the last place he remembers leaving the sword, with a sad look after seeing innocent life lost yet again. Realizing it is time to do what he has been running away from.

I can't see Gennji using two different methods of conveying suicidal thoughts when we've seen a representation of that already. And we know based on his turmoils he is haunted by what he thinks is people telling him he is running away and has abandoned them.

It could be anything at this point, it could actually be a magical being. But I can't support another method of suicide.

Unbounded

Can we talk more about how the scotsman's wife managed to give birth to a literal army that all appears to be relatively close in age.

Stoze

Why would Jack be hopeful about grabbing the sword when he could have been looking for it this whole time, but instead he was been wallowing in depression for who knows how many years that the portals are all gone and that nothing changes. If anything he'd be trying to run away from his role in this never ending fight when he's tired. Hence episode 1 and 2 where he is haunted by the spirits of his dead friends and family who tell him he has forgotten his purpose and he is arguing with himself about how there are no more portals. He wasn't even trying at that point. Then the suicidal thoughts as shown by the sad blue jack. The green ghost has appeared twice before in moments that could be seen as trying to remind him of his purpose. Before when a town was being attacked he'd run there, now we've seen him avoid towns.

I saw that scene as Ashi sparking up something he thought lost when he was showing her everything that was wrong with Aku and what he has done, then immediately they see a town destroyed after he goes through how he is evil incarnate. But before that what does he do? He tells her nothing can be done and that you have to live everyday in this shithole. He has to rely on her to help him out and sees that due to his inability to act timely, as he used to do, a group of children (supposedly) died. He is now following him to the last place he remembers leaving the sword, with a sad look after seeing innocent life lost yet again. Realizing it is time to do what he has been running away from.

I can't see Gennji using two different methods of conveying suicidal thoughts when we've seen a representation of that already. And we know based on his turmoils he is haunted by what he thinks is people telling him he is running away and has abandoned them.

It could be anything at this point, it could actually be a magical being. But I can't support another method of suicide.

Young Jack doesn't solely represent Jack's suicidal tendencies or a "method of suicide", he voices Jack's self-conflicting thoughts as a whole. Just as I don't think the green knight merely represents suicide, but his entire code of honor and samurai values. There's no rule that all his weird thought creations/hallucinations, whether it be young Jack, the fire voices, parents, green knight, the dandelion thing inside monster's belly, etc., have to be mutually exclusive in terms of what they represent or tell Jack and the audience. Ultimately I think all his manifestations (at least the ones we've seen) have the same goal, and that is to weaken his psyche.

We'll have to interpret that scene and the green knight differently I guess. I realize that Jack has been avoiding his responsibilities/purpose, but I don't think his sword is just hanging out up for grabs and he's been ignoring it. I think losing the sword was part of if not the major event of what sent him into the downward spiral. I believe he thinks it's gone permanently or spent a long time looking for it and couldn't find it. That's my guess, we don't know for sure. I'm also fairly confident Jack would be hopeful if he manages to get the one thing that can kill Aku back, or at least learn of a viable way to get it back.

edit: On second thought, you've convinced me. I think I read too much into Jack's reaction during the green knight scenes where he looks horrified, but I forgot there's a couple where he doesn't as well (seeing him when he's talking to young Jack about suicide, or when before he goes into the cave covered with blood). The last scene seems like an overly dismal way to begin returning to his old self/getting his sword back, but I guess that shows how badly he's fighting it. Plus I may have wrongfully looked too hard into the latest promo, where
Jack is kneeling down and Ashi saying "I think he's in danger".
Lastly I never forgot about the flashback with his sword having the same green glow as the knight, don't think that's a coincidence.

PK Gaming

I emphatically disagree with the assertion that Jack has a father-like relationship with Ashi. How could he possibly have one, given how broken of a person he is? He's saved her life and explained what Aku did to the world, but there's no love there. I'm not saying it couldn't happen down the road, but what we have now is a broken man and woman who's slowly became aware of the truth. There's still quite a bit of distance between the two.

I emphatically disagree with the assertion that Jack has a father-like relationship with Ashi. How could he possibly have one, given how broken of a person he is? He's saved her life and explained what Aku did to the world, but there's no love there. I'm not saying it couldn't happen down the road, but what we have now is a broken man and woman who's slowly became aware of the truth. There's still quite a bit of distance between the two.

I don't think anybody is going to argue it's a father/daughter relationship. Folks are mostly saying that it's a teacher/student or wise person/young brash person.

And then there are the shippers.

Goodstyle

People are Last of Us-ing Jack and Ashi, when they should be Killing Joking them.

Right now, I definitely see them as a teacher/student relationship. I suppose given how many, many stories like these go, gender-roles and all that, people are assuming the relationship will develop into father/daughter or, god forbid, lovers.

I know I give the latter possibility a lot of shit, cause I really don't want it, but if somehow Gennedy and crew can pull it off without it being creep-or-cringe-tastic, then... welp.

zrdnhJ0.png

Holy shit! Watching my episode, my wife turned to me and said "Jack is a Pimp! I can't wait to see what GAF will do with this!"

GAF never disappoints.

kewlmyc

I was hoping for a father like relationship because fans elsewhere are trying to push them as an item, which is way worse. They're pointing to the deer scene in a previous episode as "proof" of what Genny will be going for, as if it was foreshadowing or something.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So looking at the episode summaries for the next 3 episodes...

the next episode might be a flashback montage of all the people Jack helped?
Then Aishi finds him and they get his sword back.

Xe4

Banned
Samurai Jack is having a bit lower viewership as time goes on, which is pretty typical for shows. I expect it to drop a bit more, before ramping up for the finale.

It had 1.29 million viewers, and a 0.66 18-49 rating.

Tsunamo

Holy shit at those episode 6 leaked pictures. Folks should keep a eye out in-case they get spoiled. Apparently there's a image from the final episode (judging from a post on the subreddit) that leaked too.

In regards to the episode 6 leaked pictures though
They're really going all out with the throwbacks to the first four seasons

Fj0823

Samurai Jack is having a bit lower viewership as time goes on, which is pretty typical for shows. I expect it to drop a bit more, before ramping up for the finale.

It had 1.29 million viewers, and a 0.66 18-49 rating.

Great to see Jack and Dragon Ball doing good

Lmo911

I'm still standing by my "the less jack wears the more he is himself" stance. He sits by the fire in rags and he opens up to Ashli. He puts on the pimp suit and immediately goes back to there is no hope.

He's gotta shed the confines of Aku's society and embrace himself, man.

Zubz

Banned
Are you talking about this thread? Because it's just that one piece of fanart of Finn and Jake from Adventure Time finding the statue of Aku. =P

Wait, did people think Adventure Time & Samurai Jack would be in the same universe when they passed that around as a spoiler? I mean, the case has been made for PPG, but...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still standing by my "the less jack wears the more he is himself" stance. He sits by the fire in rags and he opens up to Ashli. He puts on the pimp suit and immediately goes back to there is no hope.

He's gotta shed the confines of Aku's society and embrace himself, man.
Is Jack Mr. Freeze's alter ego? How does he never freeze to death or whatever? Is it CELTIC MAGIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom