• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

This popped up on Tumblr.
Kudos to whoever did it.
tumblr_opxcjeVspR1tebaodo1_1280.jpg
It's beautiful

Ecotic

Aku can't be worthy of the sword. That probably will play some part in the finale. Like Harry being the true master of the elder wand.

Unit24

Aku can't be worthy of the sword. That probably will play some part in the finale. Like Harry being the true master of the elder wand.

This has already been covered in a previous episode. He couldn't do anything with it because he's pure evil.

Mr Swine

Banned
Really really great episode, I just hope that the last episode/season finale is long. Is it confirmed it's a 25 minute episode?

KingBroly

Banned
This has already been covered in a previous episode. He couldn't do anything with it because he's pure evil.

Just because Aku can't use it, doesn't mean Jack can while it's in Aku's possession.

A couple of things popped into my head about this episode.

One - Jack can't get back to the past. Aku was never going to let him get back. Jack's destiny to get back to the past was stopped by Aku.

Two - In order to defeat Aku, Jack's going to have to kill Ashi because he still resonates inside her. There is no hope left for the Foolish Samurai.

Ecotic

I wonder if Ashi is immortal because she's the daughter of Aku. If Aku can be killed without killing Ashi, then immortal Jack and immortal Ashi could live happily ever after as the new Emperor and Empress for all eternity.

Harpoon

I was absolutely convinced before this episode that the series was going to end with Jack staying in the future, but after that discussion he had with Ashi about his childhood, and her being the spawn of the evil entity with the ability to create time portals... hrmm.

Tsunamo

Bravo Gendy.

I've missed Jack and Aku's banter with Akus light trolling, it was nice to have it back this episode. But wow, even though I should have I did not see that coming at all.

I have absolutely no idea where this could go next weekend now or how it's gonna end, littleown how they'll wrap it up in around 20 minutes but i'm super excited for it!

Idk why some of you are still clinging on to the hope that the Guardian is still alive. I always thought Aku destroyed the portal and/or the Guardian because hes Aku after all.

Quote this post if I'm wrong next week, but I still think the Guardian is dead at this point.

Maximo

Idk why some of you are still clinging on to the hope that the Guardian is still alive. I always thought Aku destroyed the portal and/or the Guardian because hes Aku after all.

Quote this post if I'm wrong next week, but I still think the Guardian is dead at this point.

The crushed red glasses seems to confirm it but who knows at this point.

Nordicus

Did not enjoy the episode that much because it was just so by-the-numbers without much style to make up for that.

Corrupted Ashi's fighting style was really cool tho and the part where they showed that Ashi's flesh could be cut by the sword in the same "burning" fashion as Aku's was a slight neat moment of body horror to me.

Holy shit. The romance had a proper narrative purpose, and it paid off. Genndy, you absolute madman.

Still... Poor Jack. I wonder how this will all end.

KingBroly

Banned
Holy shit. The romance had a proper narrative purpose, and it paid off. Genndy, you absolute madman.

Still... Poor Jack. I wonder how this will all end.

Did people think it wouldn't? I mean, it was obvious to me that it'd be worked into something else. Not exactly what I imagined though.

For next week
I hope the show starts off with the Original Intro. That'd be something.

I've seen a lot of ideas of what could happen next week, so I'm not really sure what will happen.

NotLiquid

I think this episode kind of debunks the notion that Jack is going to kill Ashi, mainly because they already perfectly set up the stage for it in this episode and even though Ashi begged for it, it clearly established that he wont do it. With one episode left there's not going to be much time to ruminate on that choice and feel the payoff of it - unless he DOES kill her but then somehow ends up time traveling to undo it. This show does not have time on it's side right now.

So yeah, I'm expecting a deus ex machina next episode. Jack's going to have to earn his happy ending. Like previously mentioned, this show was never a deep one when it came to narrative, it was just very well told and stylistically potent. I think this is why a lot of people mention the first three episodes as the highlights of the season; Jack was back, it was fresh and in some ways really surprising how it subtly used it's new TV-14 rating for it's narrative purposes, but once you get outside of those confines you kind of realize that there's really not much to Samurai Jack that's changed - with the exception of Jack killing humans in the first three episode, the story that's being told could have been made years ago on it's kid-friendly syndication as long as you cut out all the graphical elements.

I suppose that will make some people feel like the show could have aspired for more after it's incredible first few episodes, but personally I think the path it took was a good one since it exercises restraint where necessary and offers a worthy followup to everything that came before.

Read an interesting theory on the Samurai Jack subreddit.
Since Ashi is part Aku, could she potentially​ open a new time portal for Jack to jump through?

Mr Swine

Banned
Think The Scotsman, his daughters and the others will arrive and help Jack? At least give Jack enough time to get his sword back?

The Hermit

lol he gotta kill her.

Shipping fans about to be sad

I told this since last episode...

Their relationship with Ashi is just a new burden.

I still don't know how they are going to end this though, it could be anything. The "future" from the guardian (IF it happens) make me believe he will just kill Aku and recover the world, stuck in the future.

NotLiquid

Here's a way for them to bullshit out of this.

Jack cutting Ashi shows her still being herself underneath and since the sword is said not to particularly "do much" against good beings. Perhaps he'll just find a means to slice away to remove the part of her that's "Aku", even if it means he'll forfeit any possibility of her conjuring a time portal (if she can do such a thing).

I suppose that's why they had Jack recount to Ashi how great the land of his past was, and how he pointed out to himself how his attachment is gonna become an issue in his mission (in both of the predictable outcomes he'll be forced to leave her behind or kill her). The logical thing would be going back to the past, but it's setting up for the bittersweet notion that for the 50 years he's spent in the future he'll probably decide against it.

I wonder if such a twist involves having to forfeit the sword by sending it back through time.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Since Ashi is part Aku, could she potentially​ open a new time portal for Jack to jump through?
I don't think they have all the perks of being Aku.

I mean, every other sister got whacked without a magic sword.

NEO0MJ

Did not enjoy the episode that much because it was just so by-the-numbers without much style to make up for that.

Corrupted Ashi's fighting style was really cool tho and the part where they showed that Ashi's flesh could be cut by the sword in the same "burning" fashion as Aku's was a slight neat moment of body horror to me.

The way she fought reminded me of Souls series bosses.

Yudoken

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

So glad he didn't take the shot. We still have a chance at the happy ending. Did the guardian die of old age?

"For countless of eons I've guarded this place".

Doesn't sound like he would die because of old age.

Aku (or his minions) probably killed (or at least defeated) and destroyed the time portal.
I think the short scene was clear in that regard.

=(

My guess:

Jack/Ashi + the daughter of the Scott will defeat Aku and Ashi will somehow send Jack back in time.

This is going to be a very interesting last episode.

ZangBa

Gotta say I'm real butthurt over the lack of the Guardian this episode. I have a feeling him and the rest of the returning cast of characters will show up in a final battle though.

Wow, I didn't think the red glasses were the only way they address the guardian. Damn, that's sad to hear. I gotta rewwtch the whole season after it finishes next week.

So sad yet happy it at least got it's own ending.

Korgill

Jack will be down but not quite out, Aku will have Ashi deliver the final blow, and then she finally takes back control and strikes Aku down. They proceed to finish him off together.

That would be the most cliche ending, so knowing Genndy it will be something way different.
But knowing that he knows that we know this about him, he will play it straight to everyone's surprise.

Mother's Day shoutout to Ashi's mom for drinking Aku's goo and birthing septuplets.

Since Ashi is part Aku, could she potentially open a new time portal for Jack
to jump through?

I have a strong feeling this is what will happen. But the question is how will she do it?

NEO0MJ

Wow, I didn't think the red glasses were the only way they address the guardian. Damn, that's sad to hear. I gotta rewwtch the whole season after it finishes next week.

So sad yet happy it at least got it's own ending.

Not me, my balls are blue right now, in honor of our fallen comrade and the fight we deserved but never got o7

1. No fucking way this can conclude the series in a single episode despite that utterly stellar closing shot.

2. I really think that the whole season would have been something for the ages if it were, say, fifteen episodes at the very least (easily could have been two seasons).

3. I don't know if I'm hugely disappointed or not. It feels like this season was more about Jack *and* Ashi, and I'm not sure if that's what I wanted a ten-episode conclusion to the series to be.

4. The Guardian cliffhanger was a blueball, it feels like.

Damn. Wish the first three episodes had held up.

I'm legit shook

Ending completely floored me.

Not even sure what to expect for the finale now, but it's gonna be either bittersweet or straight-up grimdark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom