• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm legit shook

Ending completely floored me.

Not even sure what to expect for the finale now, but it's gonna be either bittersweet or straight-up grimdark

Seriously, wasn't expecting this at all.

I thought they were going to pull a Jack vs Aku while Ashi fights Scaramouche.

NOPE

Going into this episode I had doubts that they could racket it up in time for it to be a satisfying finale, despite thoroughly enjoying this season. I'm so glad I was wrong.

dmshaposv

I actually think it was very smart of genndy to subvert our expectations for the guardian fight.

We all thought bearded jack would fight him and defeat him but forget bearded jack, we didnt even get to see an encore fight.

Broken glasses was a good and subtle nod to the character being dead (remember how pissed he was at his jacket ripping, those morpheus glasses were probably even more precious to him).

TWILT

Banned
New episode was great. The Guardian being (assumedly) dead made me go fuuuuckkk man. :( That last ending shot was amazingly well illustrated though. I'm a bit concerned how they're gonna wrap this up and give this series a satisfactory ending with only one episode left, but we'll see I suppose.

Happy ending pls. My boy Jack's gone through enough. ;;

Just watched the latest episode. The opening was more awkward Jack / Ashi's relationship moments, but once Jack started briefly talking about his past "old home and his early life", the episode really improved.
Seeing Ashi be forced to fight Jack & then literally watching Jack's fall was great.

I feel one more episode isn't enough though.

I know this season was kind of rushed and it's better than nothing, but still I wish he had just a bit more time with Ashi & Jack.

Steejee

My personal expectation is that Jack will sacrifice himself to destroy Aku and save Ashi, and the parting shot will be Ashi taking up his sword and setting off replace him as the wandering hero. This show will not have a straight up happy ending, but I don't think it will be grimdark either, definitely expecting bittersweet, and I think Jack dying would be more appropriate than Ashi.

On a related note I really need to go back and rewatch all the original seasons.

Jack dies
Jack gets sent back to the past
Jack gets sent to the future
Jack kills Aku without the sword but Ashi dies
Jack kills Aku with the sword and Ashi lives

Let's go one of those outcomes

NotLiquid

Sucks that the Guardian's dead. I would've loved to see that rematch.

So how will the Scotsman factor into all of this?

I'm guessing him and his army are gonna bust Jack out of a jam. I'm half expecting the reason Aku let Jack live is so he can humiliate him with a public execution or some sort.

Zubz

Banned
Yeah, I think it was way better. Either Baldwin got better as the VA, or they were purposfully making Aku sound off at first.

He was doing an accent during a good chunk of his first appearance. Maybe that's what threw people off?

Opto

Banned
Had a feeling this was going to turn into that one episode of Batman TAS where Robin befriends a girl only it turns out she was a separate part of Clay-Face and she gets reabsorbed into him.

tumblr_opynh87kLx1uzuvgto1_500.jpg

The problem with the dramatic side of Samurai Jack and his hate toward aku (and this was always the case) is how weird and funny the villain is.

We're supposed to root for jack to kill him I guess, but its still hard to take seriously.

The problem with the dramatic side of Samurai Jack and his hate toward aku (and this was always the case) is how weird and funny the villain is.

We're supposed to root for jack to kill him I guess, but its still hard to take seriously.

I've recently marathoned the entire series for the first time, outside of a few random episodes, and one of the things I think the new eps got wrong about Aku is that he was kind of creepy and unsettling. He only really got "wacky" in some of the later episodes (save for a few moments like "Jump good"), and his movements were very unnatural. You could argue hiding while he waits for Jack's death has made him weirder, but for the most part, and nothing to do with his voice, Aku seems a bit like a shadow of himself. The exception was the bowling ball thing he did against the Scotsman's forces, and some of the end of this most recent episode. But not all of it. Huffing Ashi was pretty Aku. Leaning against the pillar and cracking wise about being a father? Maybe not so much.

Also, Jack's face looks too thin (and I watched the old eps in the correct aspect ratio, or maybe it's his chin. You couldn't tell with the beard, but without it?

Mr Swine

Banned
What if Jack kills Aku and Ashi in her dying moments sends Jack back to the past. Then only for Jack to be sent back to the future by Aku where season 1 starts and everything repeats? Kinda like a closed time loop in Terminator?

What if Jack kills Aku and Ashi in her dying moments sends Jack back to the past. Then only for Jack to be sent back to the future by Aku where season 1 starts and everything repeats? Kinda like a closed time loop in Terminator?

Jack wouldn't fall for the time warp trap again

NotLiquid

I guess with Aku I just get the sense that time has done just as much of a number on him as it has on Jack. The second episode showed pretty much the extent of how "broken" a character like him could be to the point that he's become an apathetic shell. Even when he kills an entire armada and the Scotsman he seems completely ambivalent to it, and I think the latest episode is the only one where he's finally gotten some of his spark back.

To me I think the intimidation attempts drawing from different sources - mostly how despite coming across as apathetic and unassuming he still holds dominance over space/time with an iron fist, and that just adds a level of unpredictability; such as when you can kinda tell that he's gonna vaporize the Scotsman and yet his disposition has you hoping he doesn't. Then there's also the latest episode where his spitefulness is all the more terrifying than usual because he's exploiting a more heartfelt than usual bond between two characters that's been cultivating throughout the entire series. In a way I think circumstances in this series has allowed for Aku to be intimidating but usually not through him directly - more so because of him specifically showing up for moments where you know his presence won't be good news.

It's like that gleeful expression he has when he shows up right behind Ashi. It's gonna end poorly, and the fact that he's fully aware of that is what makes him scary in the moment.

Which reminds me that shot where he shows up in front of Jack and Ashi was legitimately kind of creepy. The ominous silhouette, especially knowing that this was looking to be the final confrontation, was all kinds of foreboding.

mas8705

At least we know we're in for one hell of a ride this Saturday. Part of me feels like Ashi probably will be Jack's means of getting back home and the last thing we'll see will be Jack dropping down on Aku moments after he sent Jack to the future and cutting straight into him.

As for everything else, I'd guess that we'll cut to Jack either in prison or tied up somewhere and the Scotsman will probably come in to give Jack his patented sass before we see that he and his daughters had a second army made up of those who were helped by Jack to come free him, retrieve the sword and end Aku's Tyranny. From there, Aku and Possessed Ashi probably will carve their way through them until something happens to where Jack gets his sword back and realizes what must be done to end this nightmare once and for all.

Not going to lie, but it is probably safe to assume that Ashi is going to wind up dead before all of this is said and done.

I thought Aku was a good mix of comic and intimidating in this episode - his dumb face slowly filling up the screen behind Ashi was really unsettling because you knew something horrible was about to happen.

Very upset not seeing a Jack vs Guardian rematch

It bothers me how the season initially seemed to be structured around that, only for it to be dropped without any explanation given.

Was the portal not really a time portal? Did it only show one possible future? Did something happen to change that future? I want something.

A-V-B

It bothers me how the season initially seemed to be structured around that, only for it to be dropped without any explanation given.

Was the portal not really a time portal? Did it only show one possible future? Did something happen to change that future? I want something.

tbh: retcon

still using a bearded jack at beginning of season but obviously things have changed in genndy's own plans

It bothers me how the season initially seemed to be structured around that

Except it wasn't. People keep throwing the guardians name out there but this season was always about the final showdown between Jack and Aku not Jack vs Guardian II.

And regardless of the final episode's outcome, people will still say "b-b-but Guardian arc would've been better than that!!!"

He's dead. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom