• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Pizza Cats and Power Rangers (90's) finally headed to DVD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
As the titles says, expect to see both released by the end of the year.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Samurai-Pizza-Cats-DVDs-Planned/16654

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-DVDs-Planned/16646

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-Press-Release/16648

According to the information above, we may also get VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, Ninja Turtles Next Mutation, etc. on DVD as well.

With all of this, and the recent release of Bobby's World on DVD, we'll soon have the vast majority of the 90's available on DVD.

(Discotek, who are releasing Pizza Cats on DVD, are also the ones who will be releasing DVD sets of Game Center CX in North America!)

Updated May 9th 2012

The first multi-disc set to be released will be the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season One, Volume One 3-Dvd set, which will arrive in stores and will be available through select digital entertainment platforms on August 21, 2012. Marking the DVD debut of the original Power Rangers series, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season One, Volume One features the first 30 original episodes from the first season and delivers over 10 hours of high-energy, family friendly entertainment. Poised to attract a new audience of kids as well as young adults who grew up with this popular series, this 3-DVD set is priced to own at a suggested retail price of $19.93. Pre-order is now available at Amazon.com and ShoutFactory.com.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season One, Volume Two 3-DVD set is slated to arrive on store shelves Fall 2012. Featuring the subsequent 30 original episodes, this DVD set continues more action-packed adventures of five teens, who quickly learn the full impact and awesome responsibility of their new powers and weapons. The evil villain, Rita Repulsa and her henchmen prove to be very worthy adversaries for the young super heroes, and they are challenged at every turn.

In an effort to provide avid collectors with an exclusive first-to-own experience, fans will have the first opportunity to collect upcoming box sets through a Time Life direct-response television and online campaign. Shout! Factory has teamed up with Time Life to make Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season One 6-DVD set and the 40-DVD collection of Power Rangers: Seasons One - Seven directly available to fans starting July 30, 2012 through Time Life's direct-response on-air TV campaign, as well as online.

The Power Rangers: Seasons One -Seven 40-DVD collection will include: All 145 original episodes from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Seasons One, Two and Three, plus the ten-episode series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Alien Rangers. It then continues on with Power Rangers: Seasons Four - Seven, featuring all of the original 183 episodes spanning the seasons entitled Power Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers Turbo, Power Rangers In Space and Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. In-depth bonus content includes: a retrospective featurette on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers phenomenon, brand-new interviews with members of the cast and the creative team, and much more!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-Seasons-1-through-7/16925

Orayn

Excellent news! I remember watching it when I was a kid - One of my first anime series, and perhaps one of the greatest gag dubs of all time. Hell, the studio behind the original thought the American version was superior.

Veal

As the titles says, expect to see both released by the end of the year.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Samurai-Pizza-Cats-DVDs-Planned/16654

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-DVDs-Planned/16646

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-Press-Release/16648

According to the information above, we may also get VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, Ninja Turtles Next Mutation, etc. on DVD as well.

With all of this, and the recent release of Bobby's World on DVD, we'll soon have the vast majority of the 90's available on DVD.

(Discotek, who are releasing Pizza Cats on DVD, are also the ones who will be releasing DVD sets of Game Center CX in North America!)
THis is the real news right here. Holy shit. Is it going to be the original Japanese broadcast, or that horribly cut down version from Kotaku?

2th

Banned
rZuT8.jpg

isny

napkin dispenser
THis is the real news right here. Holy shit. Is it going to be the original Japanese broadcast, or that horribly cut down version from Kotaku?

From their FB page:

"Will contain 12 episodes that were shown on Kotaku. Two audio tracks. One with the english narration and one will the full Japanese language and English subs."

"The Tamage and other segments can't be licensed for various reasons. Extras will be hard to come by. Licensing Japanese TV is a complicated process."

"We're trying for a summer release. Depends on if we get the artwork soon enough. I'm hoping for July but it might be more like August. We will be retranslating the subs with someone more familiar with the series."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
finally. I've been wanting some pepperoni for fucking ages.

also, the original Power Rangers has one of the best themes of all time. You can't NOT get pumped listening to that song.

Why where the shit shows from the 80s the first things to hit DVD and the kickass original shows from the 90s the last?

Because a) The 80s occured first chronologically, so 80s nostalgia logically needs to be sated before 90s nostalgia and b) a lot of early Power Rangers is every bit as bad as whatever you think of the 80s stuff.

Samurai Pizza Cats is the real good news of this. Holds up a hell of a lot better than early Power Rangers.

Anth0ny

oh. my. GOD.

I've been waiting for this day for FAR too long. MMPR ON DVD. MY CHILDHOOD IS COMPLETE.

It shall go on the shelf beside my DBZ Dragon Boxes, Disney Blurays and X-Men TAS DVDs.

JdFoX187

Banned
With all this 90s cartoon resurgence on DVD, Disney needs to get off its collective ass and release the full collection of Gargoyles.

Anth0ny

Now that I think about it... what's the deal with the 90s Spiderman cartoon? With Amazing Spiderman coming out this year, I thought it would finally be released on DVD alongside the film. Is it stuck in licensing hell?

JdFoX187

Banned
Now that I think about it... what's the deal with the 90s Spiderman cartoon? With Amazing Spiderman coming out this year, I thought it would finally be released on DVD alongside the film. Is it stuck in licensing hell?

It's up on Netflix, I would think that would mean a home video release isn't out of the question.

isny

napkin dispenser
It's up on Netflix, I would think that would mean a home video release isn't out of the question.

It's been available on Amazon.co.uk for awhile now as well. It's Disney who owns it now, and they aren't really willing to put out new DVD's of their back catalogues. They never even finished The Muppet Show DVD releases, so I'd be hard pressed to think we'll get the 90's Spider-Man anytime soon.

I remember seeing a blurb for SPC in Disney Adventures magazine n an article about new kids shows and really wanted to see it. But somehow I could never find it on. So, I don't have tender nostalgia for it, good for those who've been wanting to see it, I might give it a look myself.

Now if WB can finish releasing Animaniacs :/

isny

napkin dispenser
I remember seeing a blurb for SPC in Disney Adventures magazine n an article about new kids shows and really wanted to see it. But somehow I could never find it on. So, I don't have tender nostalgia for it, good for those who've been wanting to see it, I might give it a look myself.

Now if WB can finish releasing Animaniacs :/

The DVD market is pretty much dead. The major studios aren't really releasing much in the way of catalogue animation anymore unfortunately.

isny

napkin dispenser
Bump, more Power Rangers news.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers-Season-1-Volume-1/16902

"Overnight the studio's first plans for this show have been revealed with an Amazon pre-order entry for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Season 1, Vol.1, arriving in stores on August 21st. This 3-DVD set priced at $19.93 SRP brings you the first portion of the first of Morphin's three seasons. That includes "Day of the Dumpster," the very first episode which introduces us to Jason, Kimberly, Zack, Billy, Trini, Zordon, Alpha 5, Ernie, Bulk, Skull, Rita Repulsa, Goldar, Finster, Baboo and Squatt. We also ought to get on this collection the legendary 5-part story "Green With Evil," which first introduces Jason David Frank as "Tommy Oliver," the Green Ranger (the first of several colors Tommy would sport over the years!)."

Volumes? Given the length of the show, I'dve thought they'd just go for full season sets. That's gonna get expensive for anyone that wants the whole thing (though I guess most people will just buy their favourites).

Samurai Pizza Cats was amazing because it was so far out there. The English re-scripting team must have taken some serious drugs and just wrote whatever came to their twisted minds.

Volumes are bullshit.

If they did two volumes a season, that'd be 36 releases, coming to around $720 dollars to own it all. That's less than a dollar an episode so I guess it's not that bad actually looking at it, I just prefer season sets.

Though looking over MMPRS1 I'd expect three sets, splitting after Green with Evil and Doomsday.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm sure it will get season releases if the volumes do well. I'm more interested in Zeo and Turbo, I've watched the original stuff so much, but haven't watched Zeo and turbo since it first aired. From what I remember, lots of people praised SPD, so I'm kinda interested in that too.

I'm sure it will get season releases if the volumes do well. I'm more interested in Zeo and Turbo, I've watched the original stuff so much, but haven't watched Zeo and turbo since it first aired. From what I remember, lots of people praised SPD, so I'm kinda interested in that too.

I expect they'll milk the more popular/nostalgic stuff like MMPR with volumes and just push the seasons that have less demand out as single sets.

SPD's a little rough in places, but it's solid on the whole. I like it more than MMPR/Zeo (though I like a lot of things better than most of MMPR).

Slayven

I expect they'll milk the more popular stuff like MMPR with volumes and just push the seasons that have less demand out as single sets.

SPD's a little rough in places, but it's solid on the whole. I like it more than MMPR/Zeo (though I like a lot of things better than most of MMPR).

Even adapted Dekaranger is awesome.

shira

Samurai Pizza Cats was amazing because it was so far out there. The English re-scripting team must have taken some serious drugs and just wrote whatever came to their twisted minds.
The dub isnt faithful?
I just thought flaming gay villains and sexual innuendo were normal for Japanese kid cartoons.

TEJ

The dub isnt faithful?
I just thought flaming gay villains and sexual innuendo were normal for Japanese kid cartoons.

nope.

it was completely re-written.

re-written for the better. i'm buying the hell out of this release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom