• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
40? More like 10-15 minutes. But yeah, can confirm that Qualcomm Stadium is a rundown shithole.

That's with no traffic, but no way that's the case on gameday going up the 15 or 805. And that's just downtown San Diego.

It's a half hour drive from Oceanside, Carlsbad with no traffic.

Qualcomm has always been in a weird area for fans of the Chargers in San Diego County to travel to.

Randdalf

Man the concept of a team moving cities is so alien to me, as a football (soccer) fan in the UK. Teams are part of the community, you grow up supporting your local team, some who have over a hundred years of history in the area. The one time it did happen, when Wimbledon became MK Dons, most of the Wimbledon fans were outraged and formed their own team, AFC Wimbledon, which has risen out of non-league to now compete at the same level.

Man the concept of a team moving cities is so alien to me, as a football (soccer) fan in the UK. Teams are part of the community, you grow up supporting your local team, some who have over a hundred years of history in the area. The one time it did happen, when Wimbledon became MK Dons, most of the Wimbledon fans were outraged and formed their own team, AFC Wimbledon, which has risen out of non-league to now compete at the same level.

It's not really loved here either. Teams get PISSED when it happens (like when the Browns moved to Baltimore).

Christ. Their home until Inglewood is built might be the StubHub Center.

StubHub is a 27,000 seat soccer stadium.

What a shitshow.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still had trouble filling 27,000 seats. Is there anyone in San Diego who actually cares about the Chargers?

see5harp

I wouldn't be surprised if they still had trouble filling 27,000 seats. Is there anyone in San Diego who actually cares about the Chargers?

Plenty of people love and support the team. They were there for nearly 60 years. It doesn't matter, the owner is going to end up making a couple billion dollars for doing absolutely nothing.

scitek

I just did the drive from San Diego to LA a few weeks back. I don't think I've personally seen a quicker transition from beautiful place to complete dump.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
And I was looking forward to getting to see the Packers here again in.... 2019 I think it would be? Anyway good on SD for not getting fleeced by an NFL team like many other cities. Talk about pointless corporate welfare.

Striker

From AJ Smith being a dickhole to this, must really stink for their fans.

Marty Schottenheimer giving Archie Manning the heads up saved everybody.

Nightz

The Chargers have a pretty damn good team, they just got destroyed by injuries probably worse than any team this season.

They have the #7 pick in the upcoming draft the biggest question is if Phillip Rivers will want to play in Los Angeles or anywhere outside of San Diego.
Yeah the thing that gets me is that I really feel the Chargers could contend for a playoff spot next season with better coaching. I'm really attached to the players on the team and want them to do well but as someone who was raised in San Diego, I don't know if I can root for the Los Angeles Chargers.

jblank83

That's with no traffic, but no way that's the case on gameday going up the 15 or 805. And that's just downtown San Diego.

It's a half hour drive from Oceanside, Carlsbad with no traffic.

Qualcomm has always been in a weird area for fans of the Chargers in San Diego County to travel to.

That's everywhere in San Diego. It's a huge county and getting anywhere is a minimum 15 minute drive. Half an hour is nothing.

There's a reason that area, Mission Valley, is one of the prime shopping districts in the city. As far as commutes, it's fairly convenient.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This also means less chances for big games to be televised.

Local LA Fox and CBS would both have to cover the Rams and Chargers vs putting on the game of the week in the prime slot at 4:30.

Good.

This means SD can get a MLS team faster. Just renovate the Q into a soccer specific stadium (ie. remove half the seats) and boom.

Can Angelenos explain why you guys are able to support the Lakers, but you guys can't support one football team?

From AJ Smith being a dickhole to this, must really stink for their fans.

Marty Schottenheimer giving Archie Manning the heads up saved everybody.

What's the story there?

Good.

This means SD can get a MLS team faster. Just renovate the Q into a soccer specific stadium (ie. remove half the seats) and boom.

Can Angelenos explain why you guys are able to support the Lakers, but you guys can't support one football team?

They can support a team, that team just happens to be the one not moving there, the Raiders. If the Raiders moved there a couple years ago none of this is happening.

jwhit28

How do the TV maps work in California? Are the Chargers and Rams gonna be forced on the whole state while the now good Las Vegas Raiders are only shown in Nevada?

This whole thing is fucking disgusting. I can't imagine what I'd do if this ever happened to my team. Thankfully I don't think many teams are leaving New York any time soon.

Sephzilla

Why does the NFL keep trying to make LA happen? You'd think the Chargers would be scared about long term attendance numbers/revenue after seeing how piss poor the Rams did this year

Fletcher

As a local San Diegan and longtime Charger fan, good riddance. The shit they were trying to do to this city for greed was gross. Nobody is going to follow them to LA. Such a joke.

I would much rather get a pro basketball team here anyway.

jbug617

Banned
Letter from the owner
C1-2P3iUUAAPPX0.png

Sephzilla

I wish the NFL would do to the Charges what they did the Browns when they moved to Baltimore. The team can relocate but they do not get to keep the name Chargers or the legacy of the franchise.

Zee-Row

Banned
The Chargers are gonna be treated like second class citizens anyway once they have to share a Stadium with the Rams.

U2NUMB

I feel for the San Diego fans... this "Move to LA" threat was hung over Vikings fans for 10 years and at least 2 owners. The state had to finally pay up to keep them which is annoying as hell.

That just sucks. I lived in San Diego for 16 years and I felt like the whole time the Chargers were threatening to leave. It is hard to build city loyalty when team management pull this shit.

I feel bad for the real Chargers fans, this is a full on fuck you to them.

jfoul

I wish the NFL would do to the Charges what they did the Browns when they moved to Baltimore. The team can relocate but they do not get to keep the name Chargers or the legacy of the franchise.

Some hinting this might happen already.

ShOcKwAvE

My gf is a lifetime Chargers fan since she grew up there, but she's done with them now and will likely switch teams. What sucks even more is that we're both moving to SD next month :(

MikeRahl

I'm kinda confused. Not tryna be hostile or anything, but you became a chargers fan while not living in San Diego. How does this move make you not be a fan?

The team has been poorly managed for years. Poor coaching decisions, poor drafting, poor asset management. The owner has no money to spend as almost his entire wealth is in the team. That's why the public needed to put up all the money for the stadium in San Diego and that's why he needs to take out a loan with the league to even move the team.

I went through one relocation with a hockey team which was not fun.

So why support a crappy owner when I have no real physical ties to the team? I probably will anyways because I am a terrible person who only deserves misery but I can still complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom