• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say goodbye to cashiers in 2,500 U.S. McDonalds by the end of 2017.

Chuckie

The Macs in Holland also has them.

I always wonder how to order a cheeseburger without pickles on one of those things though.

yeah there are still cashiers as well. People still queue for the cashier at the supermaket when the machine is free, so they will still queue at McDonald's. Personally, the quicker the better.
It's usually older people. which i'm fine with because self checkout is super quick for me.

This.

Lmao at complaining about humanity making progress.

We should go back to the glory days before the evil technology took peoples jobs!!! No more automatic car washes! No more mobile phones!

We gotta freeze the progress of humanity so that people don't lose their precious shitty low skilled jobs!

For young people to be against this is absolutely mindblowing. Let them cry as the changes take place. People moan about every bit of progress humanity makes anyway.

I only worry for the people that have to rely on low paying jobs to make a living. Shit sucks if you don't have a degree in anything.

maxresdefault.jpg

I used one of these at a small-town GA one of all places, and it was great.

Sucks for the jobs lost, but it's a better experience. If anything, the switch to automation doesn't need to be smooth and gradual, but a culture shock. It's the only thing that will advance the notion of a guaranteed income. Not that I necessarily agree with such things, but at least the conversation will pick up.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Just wait until they start seriously automating the kitchens, Wall Street's gonna go crazy..

Hope this comes to Sweden and other companies as well! Anything to avoid the awkward conversation with the cashier.

Uber Eats already delivers McDonalds in some places, and once Uber has self driving cars/drones you won't ever have to go near another person.

Enco

Self-checkout machines never work in Target or Walmart in my area. They need 2-3 people policing the area just in case the things lock up or malfunction.
2-3 people for 12 machines >>> 12 people on 12 tills.

I only worry for the people that have to rely on low paying jobs to make a living. Shit sucks if you don't have a degree in anything.
Low skilled jobs are always at risk of being lost. It has happened before and it will happen again. Sucks for them but there's not other option. Stop making progress? lol. All that can be done is attempting to re-train or trying to find a new job/adapt to the future.

sirap

This is increasingly going to be the future we will live in folks. Human beings wont have any need eventually for anything. Humanoid robots coupled with advance AI will make the idea of humans obsolete.

Fixed.

Has anyone considered all the programming jobs this will create for those displaced cashiers? Like, at least one per digital kiosk.

Yes...it will be outsourced to India :p

This has been a thing in New Zealand for at least a year now. There are still cashiers, and people use the kiosks maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of the time. I personally prefer kiosks, but I hate self checkout in groceries.

Manual jobs get automated. It's really inevitable. No one alive is still lamenting over the loss of manual phone line operators from decades ago.

I still share the sentiment that we still need universal basic income. The jobs that technology made redundant can't exactly be completely covered by new jobs that technology made necessary.

Has anyone considered all the programming jobs this will create for those displaced cashiers? Like, at least one per digital kiosk.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You need to STFU. Don't tell others not to feel empathy just because you've decided progress means we can't feel for others.

I don't think the issue is sympathy. I think the issue is that some people would rather things remain forever static while halting change.

It would be nice if people were smart and dedicated enough to band together and say, "Alright--we just won't shop at places that do this."

Example of the type of mentality I find detrimental.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Self-checkout machines never work in Target or Walmart in my area. They need 2-3 people policing the area just in case the things lock up or malfunction.

They got 1 person overseeing 6 machines in my walmart. So I'd still say thats a net gain both for the investors (less wage expense) and the customer (more lines available).

TAD

Yep, I imagine a lot of restaurants are going to do this. And soon.
A lot of restaurants already have tablet ordering systems for the staff, so it wouldn't be a gigantic task to pretty it up a bit and do something like this. Here in the UK Wetherspoons have an app you can order and pay on.

The main question is whether people will sacrifice service for convenience. At fast food restaurants and chains I can see it becoming more common, mainly because the service is mostly crap anyway.

Chumly

I feel bad for people losing their jobs
Honestly I would be very very surprised if hardly anyone lost their jobs. Turnover for employment at McDonald's is huge. Employees are more than just a cashier and I would see them doing this through attrition.

Amory

They clearly are moving to as much automation as possible. You almost make it sound like you think it ends with this...
I don't think it "ends" with this, but the calls for universal income on this forum when some cashiers are replaced by basic tablets are pretty ridiculous

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It would be nice if people were smart and dedicated enough to band together and say, "Alright--we just won't shop at places that do this."

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, I think self-checkout at grocery stores is pretty premature and definitely susceptible to malfunction. That definitely needs to be improved, and if the rumors are true, then they'll also be obsolete once people can just add things to their cart and walk right out the store while automatically being charged.

lawnchair

Banned
1. convenience
2. Moving Forward
3. avoidance of awkward conversations

all make this worth the tradeoff here. fuck those jobless people!

They got 1 person overseeing 6 machines in my walmart. So I'd still say thats a net gain both for the investors (less wage expense) and the customer (more lines available).

I used to operate 4 machines at my old Walmart. They were super easy to manage and rarely broke down - 90% of the time, if they broke down, it was user error and was simple for me to fix. The only failures that ever occurred were mechanical, not digital/software-based, e.g., the change dispenser locked up or the little feeder that accepted bills wouldn't accept any bills anymore.

KingV

I suspect many of you don't eat at McDonalds often. In my experience (I eat at McDonalds around 1x per week), there usually is NO dedicated cashier already. There is someone who has the side duty of being a cashier, but they also fill drinks, get ice cream cones, get fries, etc.

There is only a dedicated cashier at very busy, foot traffic heavy McDonalds. Your average suburban McDonalds with a drive-thru is primarily geared to service cars and not the dining room. I don't think the local McDonalds I usually go to would be able to take even one person off of shift with this change.

Edit: and for the "robots take mah jerbs" people.... wake me up when productivity is exceeding 3% growth

slit

I don't think the issue is sympathy. I think the issue is that some people would rather things remain forever static while halting change.

Most people in this thread are not saying stay static, they are empathizing. Coming in and telling others they should not say anything if they use technology is not helpful.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
No, it's the dude making the food who messes up your order now. :)

That's half the failure points.
I'm excited to see what these places can automate in the cooking process as well.

I welcome the robot controlled fast food joints.

Low skilled jobs are always at risk of being lost. It has happened before and it will happen again. Sucks for them but there's not other option. Stop making progress? lol. All that can be done is attempting to re-train or trying to find a new job/adapt to the future.

The reality is we'll have more people that can't afford rent and insurance.

Enco

So we should stop trying to improve technology?

What about the jobs technology will create? What about making progress? What about improving service quality?

None of that is important?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sucks for the people losing their jobs, but yeah, I mean, what do they really do? I'd much rather just order from a touch screen, pay with my card, and pick the order up when it's ready.

What happens in capitalism when goods and services are made in abundance but not many people can buy them because they have no jobs and no money?

And yeah, the argument is "people should acquire skills useful to the market" and all that but how feasible is this when less and less money is being allocated to education and people have to take out massive student loans?

America is SPD'ing itself into the ground and has only itself to blame.

I don't think it "ends" with this, but the calls for universal income on this forum when some cashiers are replaced by basic tablets are pretty ridiculous

I don't know, it isn't that crazy: A large segment of American jobs are service jobs, and companies are working hard to get rid of them, and it's like, maybe we need to be prepared to handle the mass unemployment that's coming.

danowat

Banned
Hmmm, I'm sure we already have these in the UK. You use a touch screen to order and make adjustments and then make a contactless payment with your phone or card. You then get a ticket and wait for your food, which (in some restaurants) is then delivered to your table.

Yeah, they've been phasing them in for about a year now.

This.

Lmao at complaining about humanity making progress.

We should go back to the glory days before the evil technology took peoples jobs!!! No more automatic car washes! No more mobile phones!

We gotta freeze the progress of humanity so that people don't lose their precious shitty low skilled jobs!

For young people to be against this is absolutely mindblowing. Let them cry as the changes take place. People moan about every bit of progress humanity makes anyway.

I'm studying for a STEM degree, believe me when I say I'm one of the last people who have a problem with progress. It's not the progress that's bothering me but the fact that people are very clearly going to get hurt as this spreads and barely anyone is concerned about trying to mitigate that.

Kthulhu

Automation is coming and yet no one in government seems to give a fuck. How many retail jobs have been lost just this year alone?

To be fair, even the Swiss voted overwhelmingly against it.

The Obama administration tried to warn people. No one listened.

Eh most of them are aware of how replaceable they are. Really if they are getting rid of those people that'll probably just be 2.500 less people that eat at McDonalds.

And then just starve to death I guess.

TBiddy

The only technology that republicans do not fearfully shit their pants over.

It took almost three pages before someone cracked and posted shit like that. I'm impressed.

It sucks for those who are touched by this change, but in reality very few will be fired. People will stop because of natural causes (moving on to a new job, education and what have you) and that's more or less it.

Beartruck

Meh. The machine works fine. Self-checkouts are getting much better now too. I never have the "unidentified item in the bagging area" problem anymore. Booze is the only issue.

Some people just don't like to use machines or don't understand them, so a human will always be needed but automation is here to stay. There are some supermarkets here where you scan all your items with your phone as you put them into your trolley and bag them as you go. Then, when you leave, you just settle up at a machine and walk out.

Don't know where you live, but if a supermarket in the US did what your last paragraph did, they would bleed money from shoplifting. What's to stop a person in that situation from only scanning 2 out of 3 items in their bag? Buy enough food and it'd take awhile for any employee to sort out what's amiss.

Galava

I've been using the McDonalds in my town that already is automated.

No os in complaining about the machines being hard to use, they are very intuitive and "stupid-proof". You go to the machine (they are huge vertical touch screens), choose your stuff, wait and when it's your number you just go and pick up your food.

The people that were taking orders, are now handing them out and are available in case someone needs help with something.

Works perfectly tbh. No delays because cashier is slow, or because some asshole is paying with 500 cents... Very straightforward and very consumer-friendly.

Cashier jobs will just turn into assistance and handing out orders.

Camwi

Idiots will blame the workers asking for a livable wage, when in reality this is just the future for a lot of jobs.

Don't know where you live, but if a supermarket in the US did what your last paragraph did, they would bleed money from shoplifting. What's to stop a person in that situation from only scanning 2 out of 3 items in their bag? Buy enough food and it'd take awhile for any employee to sort out what's amiss.

Well, basically it's on trust. I've only seen it at an upscale chain (Waitrose) where most of the people there are wealthy enough not to need to steal. You do get audited (very) occasionally but really, unless you get the audit, there is nothing to stop you robbing the store blind. This is in the UK.

Top Bottom