• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say goodbye to cashiers in 2,500 U.S. McDonalds by the end of 2017.

TBiddy

Not really, look at the textile industry in 1800s UK. Thousands and thousands of jobs replaced by machines over a small period of time. People rioted. But the world turned and new industries replaced those jobs and then some.

Or the farming industry everywhere. It's not exactly anything new.

jmizzal

I went to this nice McDonalds here in Jax and it had some machines where you can do you own order, was the first time seeing that, tho it still had 2 cashier sections.

RDreamer

Leave it to humans to willingly create a system where most of us feel angry and scared that a machine will be able to do some shitty brainless task instead of having some of us literally waste the precious little time we have on earth doing it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not really, look at the textile industry in 1800s UK. Thousands and thousands of jobs replaced by machines over a small period of time. People rioted. But the world turned and new industries replaced those jobs and then some.
You are very hopeful of the future. Just because new industries have come up in the past doesnt mean that something is going to manifest again. And with how automation is now and how its looking for the future, whats to stop these hypothetical new industries from being automated themselves from the get-go?

Mihos

Gold Member
Yeah this is where it needs to be. Specify order, location and time you want to pick up. Pay. Then just turn up and grab your food.

Panera Bread works exactly like this in my area

We also have a huge labor shortage, to the point of many restaurants here in the Midwest only opening for a few hours around lunch and not all evenings because they can't keep a full staff,

DonShula

We have these here in Edmonton, and we still have plenty of cashiers at every McDonald's I visit. It's actually quicker for me to talk to the cashier than it is tapping through windows to get what I want. Plus, someone still has to run the drive through.

For some reason, your use of the word "tapping" has tipped me off to the fact that these touch screens are going to be covered in the fingerprints and germs of other McDonalds patrons, and I'll be touching the screen shortly before I eat. I suddenly want nothing to do with them. It's bad enough that most McDonalds have the air hand dryers plus bathroom doors that open inward.

slit

Complaining about moving toward automation seems like wanting it to remain static. I'm not sure what your point is. And you're being unnecessarily pedantic because I simply said some people, in which I'm still right.

You're the one that started defending the person I originally quoted. My point was the person basically said anyone talking about or taking any kind of action against this should STFU because they didn't approve since automated ATMs exist. If you don't like that I took offence to that, I really don't care.

In a lot of countries right politicians state that the purpose of life is to work , and would consider basic income as shameful.

Well in Europe some parties of the liberal right are pro UBI, while the left is moslty against it, calling it "asocial". They just cannot imagine everyone getting the same amount of money without the rich being punished in some way, I guess. Of course, they would lose a big part of their reason to exist.

Theonik

Not in the local communities and arguably a lot of skilled manual labour got replaced by low skill manual labour in the service industries.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of like a Japanese ramen shop. I think it's better this way. Employees will now focus on preparing and serving food rather than doing all of that and taking orders.

strata8

This is different because the ratio of displacement is not 1:1. Horse and buggy replaced by car you still need humans to repair the vehicles, drive the vehicles, make the vehicles. Blockbuster gets replaced by Netflix.. thats 84,000 employees lost and 3,500 gained.

I'll admit that I haven't exactly read up on automation but I don't think it's that simple. Netflix might only employ 3,500 people directly, but how many people are needed indirectly (ie, infrastructure) to support their operations? How many people do they employ by funding productions? If consumers are spending less on Netflix than they were on Blockbuster, that money is potentially being spent somewhere else and employing more people in the process.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, I'm sure we already have these in the UK. You use a touch screen to order and make adjustments and then make a contactless payment with your phone or card. You then get a ticket and wait for your food, which (in some restaurants) is then delivered to your table.
Same in NL. Still a shit ton of people work there, getting and organising the food is still the same 'front of shop' job, just easier

You are very hopeful of the future. Just because new industries have come up in the past doesnt mean that something is going to manifest again. And with how automation is now and how its looking for the future, whats to stop these hypothetical new industries to support all those displaced from being automated themselves from the get-go?

Well I don't know because I don't know what they are. I can only talk about what has happened in the past. But if there does come a point where unskilled labour is completely automated, then society will have to adjust, obvious solution being universal income. We are not there yet though, not even nearly.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You're the one that started defending the person I originally quoted. My point was the person basically said anyone talking about or taking any kind of action against this should STFU because they didn't approve since automated ATMs exist. If you don't like that I took offence to that, I really don't care.

...yes? Taking action against automation is stupid. Work alongside it or develop ways to adapt. I don't think that person advocated for shutting down sympathetic responses but rather responses with the intent of dismissing automation altogether. I agreed with him or her because if you're someone who's trying to prevent this from happening, then take a backseat.

McDonald's here already switched to kiosks some time ago. They do still keep 1 human cashier, for people who don't like or understand the automated system.
The kiosks are great. Huge screens, excellent interface. They even support coupons. I open up a coupon in the McDonalds's app on my phone and show it to the kiosk.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'll admit that I haven't exactly read up on automation but I don't think it's that simple. Netflix might only employ 3,500 people directly, but how many people are needed indirectly (ie, infrastructure) to support their operations? How many people do they employ by funding productions? If consumers are spending less on Netflix than they were on Blockbuster, that money is potentially being spent somewhere else and employing more people in the process.

We can do all of that with Blockbuster too. What about the industries BB supported by ordering materials and supplies for their stores? Computers and tech support for thousands of stores? How about all the other stuff that applies strictly to physical locations such as rent to property owners, landscapers, security, etc? What about all the taxes involved that are now gone?

Dishwalla

Banned
So these will be like the touchscreen kiosks at Wawa right, that they have had for years? If so I'm game, those things are quick and simple to use.

Not in the local communities and arguably a lot of skilled manual labour got replaced by low skill manual labour in the service industries.

I think you're correct that those workers probably never found employment again and many of them died in poverty. However, that was in a time of almost zero mobility. More recently, in the UK we have seen industries fall by the side, such as coal mining and whilst unemployment spiked immediately afterwards, it then dropped and continued to drop.

You can argue that skilled labour is being replaced by unskilled labour and I would probably agree with that but I'm not sure how that relates to McDonald's cashiers, albeit that you weren't saying that it did.

Nivash

My local McDonald's just got refurbed to put these screens in. They're good and I prefer it to ordering from a cashier. Less judgement lol. However I wish a big company like McDonald's could have afforded something a little snappier. I'm guessing g it runs on some proprietary Windows touch screen thing and it's just a bit slow. Like the proprietary touch screen junk you get in museums. Honestly don't know why they didn't just use a large iPad Pro and a really silky smooth app couldn't have been used instead. Don't need that MASSIVE screen and it would work better. Likely cheaper too lol.

Hopefully they just create a good ordering app you can get on your phone. Order ahead of time even if you want for collection.

My own workplace is bringing in self service terminals and as the older customers die out we're definitely going to turn into a single manning shop babysitter role at best.

The burger chain Max in Sweden already has an app like that, so it's easily done.

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/max-express/id334732420?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.max.android.locator&hl=sv

You can pick your order, any extras, what restaurant you want to pick it up from and whether it's to-go or to eat in the restaurant. You're then given an expected waiting time that's usually accurate enough that you now when to place the order just in time for it be done as you arrive. You pay by card in the app and simply flash the order number on your screen to the cashier. I use it all the time. Feels great getting to bypass the lines and have my food ready to eat less than a minute after walking inside.

Max have been using those screens for "express orders" parallell to standard cashier stations for years too. I don't think it's affected their employment numbers that much. They still need cashiers, they've just cut down the waiting times for people like me who're prepared to order ahead.

slit

...yes? Taking action against automation is stupid. Work alongside it or develop ways to adapt. I don't think that person advocated for shutting down sympathetic responses but rather responses with the intent of dismissing automation altogether. I agreed with him or her because if you're someone who's trying to prevent this from happening, then take a backseat.

Okay, I'm going to quite the person again since you can't seem to get it through your head.

To all those complaining - do you use grocery self check out, ATM machines, Amazon, or never read a newspaper?

If so, you need to STFU and realize you are no better for the working man than McDonalds. This is progress. People will lose jobs. We as a culture need to find ways of creating new jobs for low skilled workers, but bitching about old days gone by is not the way to do it.
Define complaining for him then since you are his spokesperson. Does that mean only those who brought up automation? Does it mean those who think society should address this before it's too late? Is it just those who think it's messed up for the workers? Is it those who think action against this is necessary? IDK, but you seem to so explain it for him so we get clarification.

Just no. Using past results to predict future outcomes is a recipe for disaster.

The new industries created by automation will require individuals to have a far more valuable resource (as in education, not manual labor) compared to textile workers from the 1800s.

Depending on where one resides, education may not be cheap as well. Given that a good percentage of these future jobs requires a STEM degree just means more people will be left out.

Also, look at the renewable energy industry. Plenty of jobs are being created, but I don't see coal miners becoming mechanical engineers anytime soon. I'll even say most solar technician jobs are beyond them unless they go to a dedicated trade school or community college.

Shinypogs

They have several kiosks and like 1 cashier at my local place here in Canada and it;s wonderful for me. I have several mental illness and any interaction with fast food workers is extremely stressful. I have walked to a mcdonalds, stood in line then backed out before I got to the front because my social anxiety got the better of me. I have panicked and needed to have friends order for me at starbucks for genuine fear that I would mess up my order and that any stumbling over words or needing to repeat myself would cause the barista to be angry at me for slowing down the line by even a few seconds. Kiosks are fast and simple and even if I make an error I can fix it without having to apologize and just focus on what I'm doing without feeling pressured.

Please understand I am not happy people will be losing jobs and I understand that companies are doing this for profit purposes and not for the convenience of people like me. I'm happy about automation in the fast food industry but I know that my happiness comes at the cost of others.

RedHill

Banned
This sounds like it'll end up being annoying. It'll take too long, the screens will be gross, the machines will mess up somehow, and a less than one minute transaction will end up being 5+

Here's how this will go: They lose the cashier, but machines are finicky and people are stupid so the lines will go out the door. Then they'll need someone to help people with the machines and nothing is solved. This exact scenario happened at my movie theatre and happens at self checkouts in my town.

In super markets over here we generally do employ someone to be there for when they self checkout doesn't work, but it's usually one person covering anywhere from 6 to 12 checkouts. No matter what way you look at it there are still going to be huge reductions in staff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For everyone responding to my post about wanting people to boycott:

Automation is going to be a massive problem for our country in the not too distant future. This type of thing, automation of trucking, factories, etc. There won't be enough jobs to go around, and massive unemployment eventually leads to violence.

I love technology. LOVE. But this type of thing is dangerous for a society where education is outrageously expensive.

kaskade

I believe they just redid my local McDonalds, I'm curious if they added some of this ordering there. Panera seems to be switching to this too. I've noticed they are kind of half and half right now.

I'm sure this will be blamed on minimum wage but I'm sure this would've happened regardless.

Erevador

Minimum wages goes up, jobs that aren't worth 15 dollars an hour cease to exist, whole classes of low-skill jobs cease to exist.

Sad, but not surprising.

A local McDs is in a middle of a major overhaul. They literally tore the entire restaurant down all the way to the concrete and rebuilding it from the ground up.

I think this location is gonna be one of those EOTF version McDs. I'd probably enter in there just for a milkshake and to see what it looks like on the inside. I don't really care for their food. Last time I ate, I had food poisoning

Well, basically it's on trust. I've only seen it at an upscale chain (Waitrose) where most of the people there are wealthy enough not to need to steal. You do get audited (very) occasionally but really, unless you get the audit, there is nothing to stop you robbing the store blind. This is in the UK.

Yeah they basically spot check random people, and most people who do grocery shopping are adults and aren't going to risk shoplifting because the consequences of getting caught aren't worth it.

Here's how this will go: They lose the cashier, but machines are finicky and people are stupid so the lines will go out the door. Then they'll need someone to help people with the machines and nothing is solved. This exact scenario happened at my movie theatre and happens at self checkouts in my town.

Automation is especially great at movie theatres. A touchscreen that lets you pick your own seats, I love it.

TylerD

I was in Wal-Mart Saturday night at 9:30 and there were zero cashiers at open registers. It was only self checkout and the line was at least 50 people deep to get to the fucking kiosks. We got the hell out of there.

My main problem with it is, they won't move the money they save over to the consumer or the other working staff at the restaurant. It basically just goes to the share holders/CEO/Management.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel like if it's something I can scan and go with only a couple of items I like self check out.

If it's a lot of items self check out is a pita.

Also if it's not something I scan, but something where I have to go through menus to order it feels like a cashier who does this all the time will be faster than me trying to find shit in the menus on the self order kiosk.

strata8

We can do all of that with Blockbuster too. What about the industries BB supported by ordering materials and supplies for their stores? Computers and tech support for thousands of stores? How about all the other stuff that applies strictly to physical locations such as rent to property owners, landscapers, security, etc? What about all the taxes involved that are now gone?

Good point, but the money to employ those 35,000 people had to come from somewhere, and where is it now? I guess it could be employing fewer people at higher wages if that's what you mean, though I don't think that'd be as extreme as 35,000 vs. 8,500.

Jigolo

We have this at our local McDonalds, and it's a godsend. Plenty of time to pick and select what you want, while you can you see what the total price is. It just works.

Yeah two McDonald's nearby got these machines and they're quite good

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The burger chain Max in Sweden already has an app like that, so it's easily done.

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/max-express/id334732420?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.max.android.locator&hl=sv

You can pick your order, any extras, what restaurant you want to pick it up from and whether it's to-go or to eat in the restaurant. You're then given an expected waiting time that's usually accurate enough that you now when to place the order just in time for it be done as you arrive. You pay by card in the app and simply flash the order number on your screen to the cashier. I use it all the time. Feels great getting to bypass the lines and have my food ready to eat less than a minute after walking inside.

Max have been using those screens for "express orders" parallell to standard cashier stations for years too. I don't think it's affected their employment numbers that much. They still need cashiers, they've just cut down the waiting times for people like me who're prepared to order ahead.

I don't get why McD and BK haven't jumped on this here in Sweden yet.

Top Bottom