• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say goodbye to cashiers in 2,500 U.S. McDonalds by the end of 2017.

Theonik

For the larger, long reaching implications, propably.
This is the reality of technological progress. Our societies need to adapt. If labour isn't needed then it won't be used.

We already have these in Canada and they aren't replacing jobs.
Debatable. McDonald's shops are largely understaffed so they expect the people there to do more work to cover.
When they introduce these machines they help quite a lot as they fill the labour shortage until they want to cut cost again where they will expect less kitchen staff to serve more electronic tills etc.

Whatever your opinion of automation is, the truth is that you cannot put the genie back in the bottle. If it works, if it reduces cost and improves the customer experience, then it's going to happen.

spekkeh

Banned
I should feel bad but I have to admit the idea of getting serviced by something with intelligence sounds appealing.

1. convenience
2. Moving Forward
3. avoidance of awkward conversations

all make this worth the tradeoff here. fuck those jobless people!

I'm really hoping this is a sarcastic post? If it is please ignore.

People seeing less human interaction as a plus is seriously disturbing to me. It sucks if you struggle dealing to communicate with other humans...I went through that phase too when I was younger. I'd strongly suggest therapy instead of pursuing technological advances to assist you in avoiding a mental condition you are suffering from. I'd imagine you'd be much happier in the long run. I know it's fairly rude of me to make an assumption from "awkward conversations" to social recluse who fears human interaction and is miserable. But I don't think I've ever had an awkward conversation with a fast food employee. These people are trained to speak to you, the problem is totally on your end.

Also the notion that you are celebrating unemployment of unskilled workers because you don't have to speak to them anymore is frankly disgusting.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I think I've seen one so far in this thread.

Okay?

This can not continue. (without taking measures to prevent poverty from skyrocketing)

This sucks. I protest this by refusing to using robo cashiers. I don't care if thier is a huge line for the human. i will wait.

The automaton engineers should all refuse to work on the automatons. That way it wouldn't matter how rich you are, you can't will these things into existence by throwing money around you. It's sad because the engineers need work so they will work on them automatons. Ironically the automatons they build will in time be their downfall when the automatons finally do the engineering instead.

It would be nice if people were smart and dedicated enough to band together and say, "Alright--we just won't shop at places that do this."

cackhyena

I should feel bad but I have to admit the idea of getting serviced by something with intelligence sounds appealing.

nbE5uuh.jpg

Palmer27

Hope I'm not way off:
In general will automation of menial jobs mean more hours of human work available to be payed elsewhere on something better? There's an economic correction needed inbetween of course but in the long run is this a positive?

Ovid

Has anyone considered all the programming jobs this will create for those displaced cashiers? Like, at least one per digital kiosk.
In the short run this sucks but in the long run it's for the best. It forces people into industries that need them.

Ask yourself, are human beings (the individual and population at large) better off as cashiers and toll booth collectors or should those roles be automated and their talents/intellect be served somewhere else?

Bit-Bit

The US should be like Japan with it's vending and ticketing machines.

Unless I'm dining at a restaurant, I really don't want to deal with people for simple transactions.

I'd rather just walk up, press on a screen and walk away with my item without having some overworked and underpaid person giving me attitude cause they've had to deal with assholes all day.

In the short run this sucks but in the long run it's for the best. It forces people into industries that need them.

Ask yourself, are human beings (the individual and population at large) better off as cashiers and toll booth collectors or should those roles be automated and their talents/intellect be served somewhere else?

For people to develop those talents we would need an increase in the average income. College ain't free.

Couleurs

It's usually older people. which i'm fine with because self checkout is super quick for me.

I like using self checkout but always get stuck behind immensely stupid fucking idiots who have no idea how to read/follow basic instructions or use any technology designed after 1970, so I fear any store that decides to switch to entirely self checkout.

Like, after the 500th time being held up for 10 minutes because the boomer at the self checkout at the grocery store is confused about what button to press when the machine asks a complicated question such as "would you like to pay with cash or card?", waiting for the lone cashier to help the other 4 people with similarly ridiculous problems before going to help them, then cutting myself when they call the cashier back over a second time because they have no idea what to do when the machine asks "credit or debit", I can only imagine how fucked it's going to be when that person has to bumble their way through 20 menus to order their burger with extra cheese and no onions.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hope I'm not way off:
In general will automation of menial jobs mean more hours of human work available to be payed elsewhere on something better? There's an economic correction needed inbetween of course but in the long run is this a positive?

My guess is there will come a point when there wont be enough people with money to purchase whats being sold. At that point things will unravel fast.

Automation is coming and yet no one in government seems to give a fuck. How many retail jobs have been lost just this year alone?

To be fair, even the Swiss voted overwhelmingly against it.
The Swiss live in their own little amoral mountain fantasy world, nothing they do or don't do should be regarded as precedent for anyone else.

Clockwork

These damn people on welfare and food stamps. Why can't they all just get a job at McDonald's or something...

...Oh wait, nevermind.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah technology and automation are going to have a huge impact and I don't think anyone is ready for the consequences.

gerg

Self-checkout machines never work in Target or Walmart in my area. They need 2-3 people policing the area just in case the things lock up or malfunction.

My local Tesco (large supermarket chain) has maybe 10-12 self checkout stations. They're rubbish, and invariably require 1-3 people staffing them at all times, depending on lull and peak periods. But if those checkout stations replace four traditional checkout lanes then Tesco is making a 25-75% efficiency saving at all times on staffing alone. It's no wonder they're so widely adopted.

My guess is there will come a point when there wont be enough people with money to purchase whats being sold. At that point things will unravel fast.

Historically, that is not what happens. New industries emerge, people work less, earn more, have better living standards, Automation has being going on for 250 years.

slit

This can not continue. (without taking measures to prevent poverty from skyrocketing)

Said nothing about staying static but wants actions to offset job loss.

This sucks. I protest this by refusing to using robo cashiers. I don't care if thier is a huge line for the human. i will wait.
This is the one I was talking about.

The automaton engineers should all refuse to work on the automatons. That way it wouldn't matter how rich you are, you can't will these things into existence by throwing money around you. It's sad because the engineers need work so they will work on them automatons. Ironically the automatons they build will in time be their downfall when the automatons finally do the engineering instead.

Ok, there is a second one.

It would be nice if people were smart and dedicated enough to band together and say, "Alright--we just won't shop at places that do this."
Said nothing about staying static, is looking for a strategy for something to happen to help these people.

So fine there were two. That still doesn't mean people who use technology can't speak for those who will suffer.

Brewmont

Banned
Wouldn't the people acting as cashier just then move to being the food runner? That was my first thought when reading this.

Shredderi

So reduce service for their millions of customers to maybe benefit a thousand employees? How does that math work out in your favor?

Sorry, english isn't my first language so I might not fully understand what you mean. Do you mean that you think that only thousand kiosks etc. will be replaced by automatons?

DavidDesu

My local McDonald's just got refurbed to put these screens in. They're good and I prefer it to ordering from a cashier. Less judgement lol. However I wish a big company like McDonald's could have afforded something a little snappier. I'm guessing g it runs on some proprietary Windows touch screen thing and it's just a bit slow. Like the proprietary touch screen junk you get in museums. Honestly don't know why they didn't just use a large iPad Pro and a really silky smooth app couldn't have been used instead. Don't need that MASSIVE screen and it would work better. Likely cheaper too lol.

Hopefully they just create a good ordering app you can get on your phone. Order ahead of time even if you want for collection.

My own workplace is bringing in self service terminals and as the older customers die out we're definitely going to turn into a single manning shop babysitter role at best.

br3wnor

Any time I've been in a McDonalds it seems like maybe 4 employees out of the 20 visible ones are cashiers? They're still going to need at least one person to oversee the kiosks and everyone else involved in the running of the restaurant will remain.

Yeah it sucks people will lose their jobs but if you're gonna get pissed at Trump for cutting regulations and making deals to try and keep the dying coal industry alive, why are you getting mad at places who are cutting redundant jobs?

Automation is happening, either we embrace it and try to mobilize our workforce to adapt or we try to fight it and fall behind other countries.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Historically, that is not what happens. New industries emerge, people work less, earn more, have better living standards, Automation has being going on for 250 years.

This is different because the ratio of displacement is not 1:1. Horse and buggy replaced by car you still need humans to repair the vehicles, drive the vehicles, make the vehicles. Blockbuster gets replaced by Netflix.. thats 84,000 employees lost and 3,500 gained.

Beartruck

Well, basically it's on trust. I've only seen it at an upscale chain (Waitrose) where most of the people there are wealthy enough not to need to steal. You do get audited (very) occasionally but really, unless you get the audit, there is nothing to stop you robbing the store blind. This is in the UK.

Ah ok, I see. Closest large chain equivalent here as "The wealthy person grocery store" would probably be Whole Foods, I could see them doing this. Some place like Walmart though? 0 chance.

i won't shop at places that do this. now you do it. now we've banded together.

Then you'll increasingly live in a world where you simply don't shop. Do you avoid grocery stores with self checkout lines because they're replacing cashiers too? Do you not shop at Amazon because they're a retailer that doesn't have cashiers at all? Why are we defending the loss of positions that no longer need to exist?

Kthulhu

My local McDonald's just got refurbed to put these screens in. They're good and I prefer it to ordering from a cashier. Less judgement lol. However I wish a big company like McDonald's could have afforded something a little snappier. I'm guessing g it runs on some proprietary Windows touch screen thing and it's just a bit slow. Like the proprietary touch screen junk you get in museums. Honestly don't know why they didn't just use a large iPad Pro and a really silky smooth app couldn't have been used instead. Don't need that MASSIVE screen and it would work better. Likely cheaper too lol.

Hopefully they just create a good ordering app you can get on your phone. Order ahead of time even if you want for collection.

My own workplace is bringing in self service terminals and as the older customers die out we're definitely going to turn into a single manning shop babysitter role at best.

If you're concerned what a McDonald's employee thinks of you then you've got some serious self esteem issues.

Trump just proposed building a wall to prevent the kiosks from getting across our borders, as well as replacing all McDonald's with Blockbuster Video's powered by coal.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Said nothing about staying static wants actions to offset job loss.

This is the one I was talking about.

Ok, there is a second one.

Said nothing about staying static, is looking for a strategy for something to happen to help these people.

So fine there were two. That still doesn't mean people who use technology can't speak for those who will suffer.

Complaining about moving toward automation seems like wanting it to remain static. How do I know? Because logic follows that if you're complaining about the automation, then you're content without it. I'm not sure what your point is. And you're being unnecessarily pedantic because I simply said some people, in which I'm still right.

This is different because the ratio of displacement is not 1:1. Horse and buggy replaced by car you still need humans to repair the vehicles, drive the vehicles, make the vehicles. Blockbuster gets replaced by Netflix.. thats 84,000 employees lost and 3,500 gained.

Not really, look at the textile industry in 1800s UK. Thousands and thousands of jobs replaced by machines over a small period of time. People rioted. But the world turned and new industries replaced those jobs and then some.

Can't that be done in the app?

I don't know. can it? Cool :)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
We have these here in Edmonton, and we still have plenty of cashiers at every McDonald's I visit. It's actually quicker for me to talk to the cashier than it is tapping through windows to get what I want. Plus, someone still has to run the drive through.

It's progress. This means people -in theory- could do more useful things than selling burgers. I realise it won't be an easy transition though.

Top Bottom