• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Maybe they'll have a nice pair of glasses, and git gud at puzzles!

;_;
I'll still watch it. Is this a one-off, or have they alluded to playing this through after shitstorm.

they said on the podcast that next week will be a shitstorm LP
and Matt has talked about SOMA alot(think he beat it) on twitter
put 2 and 2 together

MolochSigma

Neo Member
Am I becoming grouchier, or are the guys getting worse at talking over each other and interrupting before stories are explained / never even explaining the story.

It's gotten to the point where each time a new topic is raised I'm just anticipating the inevitable interruption where someone shouts and cuts Woolie off.

That, plus the amount of times they split into two simultaneous conversations, or one person "whispers" something to the other without realising how distracting it is in audio.

I might just be becoming more sensitive to it.

(also the amount of time Woolie says "you know").

Anung

Un Rama
Am I becoming grouchier, or are the guys getting worse at talking over each other and interrupting before stories are explained / never even explaining the story.

It's gotten to the point where each time a new topic is raised I'm just anticipating the inevitable interruption where someone shouts and cuts Woolie off.

That, plus the amount of times they split into two simultaneous conversations, or one person "whispers" something to the other without realising how distracting it is in audio.

It's been bothering me for a while. Mainly when it just becomes white noise of them all talking. If they do follow through with improving their set up individual mics and light editing would solve the problem. I can't say I have faith though.

Super glad Liam was there during the dreams segment of the conference. MM have some of the most charming and innovative devs. Glad that could be recognized.
Pat's bitterness during that segment was legit upsetting me. He just seemed mad that someone was trying to have some fun with their part and that that they were trying something new.

But they don't even talk about Indivisible for the majority of the podcast? MikeZ doesn't even say the word 'Indivisible' until like halfway through the podcast, and it's mostly just to clarify the budgetary thing with the game. Most of it was shooting the shit about the FGC and game dev in a way they can't do with most guests they get on the podcast, which was really neat. I mean, yeah, he was there to promote the game but there were legit questions they asked.

Like worth it for MikeZ's story about Seth Killian and SFxT if nothing else, and there was plenty of other great anecdotes and I can rattle off from the podcast too.

Wasn't exactly an 'infomercial'.

I'm sorry I'm late to respond.
I know it wasn't the entire podcast. But it was far too much of it for my taste. That said, it's not just how long they talked about it, it was how disingenuous the discussion felt to me.
I honestly don't think the best friends are half as hype on this game as they seemed to be in that interview. Mostly, because they've barely mentioned up til now. Plus, even when the Best Friends have raging hype boners for something, they usually acknowledge some shortcomings. Even Pat and Woolie have some critiques of SFV. Here? Not so much.
To be honest, I understand the best friends gotta make some compromises, and I don't even blame them for shilling for MikeZ. I just wish I didn't have to listen to it for so long,
Outside of that, yeah MikeZ had some cool things to say.

I can understand this, but I have a less traditional solution for them.
I feel if someone starts making a joke, the person making the point should shutup and let them finish the joke. If it's not funny, you can always shit on them and finish your point.
I find this vastly superior to trying to talk over the joke in a salty manner.
Matt does this way too much... And considering his jokester persona it seems so hypocritical.

aly

Pat's bitterness during that segment was legit upsetting me. He just seemed mad that someone was trying to have some fun with their part and that that they were trying something new.

Yeah. That's what I like about them. They just like being goofy and have fun in every presentation they do. Also Pat trying to downplay LBP was lol worthy.

RIGS is literally just virtual Reality IGPX(the Toonami anime)
i love it

Oh wow, you're spot on with that. Now I'm even more hyped for it after reading those good impressions.

So Pat on reddit basically said that he didn't like the tapes in MGSV, and a lot of people disagreed with him.

I don't.

I think the way almost all of the story is conveyed to the player in MGSV is fucking lazy.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So Pat on reddit basically said that he didn't like the tapes in MGSV, and a lot of people disagreed with him.

I don't.

I think the way almost all of the story is conveyed to the player in MGSV is fucking lazy.
They are just codec chats but they don't happen during gameplay.

Edzi

I don't.

I've noticed that the reddit community/comments are mostly in blind defense of MGSV and its story, and I've seen a few of them mention that they think that the only reason Pat hates it is because he's influenced by Neogaf.

I'm just glad that Pat isn't influenced by the fans, because I can't think of another game more deserving of his world famous Angry Pat rage.

aly

I agree that they should listen to the tapes when they get them, but Pat's overall opinion is correct imo. The tapes suck and are a lazy way of telling info that really shouldn't be optional. In a game with little story, who thought hiding most of it in tapes that you have to sit and listen to, was a good idea?

Disgraced

Or maybe some cutscenes were cut and/or made audio because the game had a famously troubled development.
I was fine with the tapes. Vastly prefer them to mandatory codec calls.
The only real problem I have with the tapes is the audio mixing; tapes should be higher and everything else lower than they are, but other than that I too vastly prefer the optional format of tapes to the Codec. They're great for the majority of side-ops, management/development/customization in the ACC, and for exploring MB. I love MGS 1-3 and digging deep into the Codec to access absolutely every piece of dialogue, but fuuuuuuuck briefings and long-winded bullshit about what-the-fuck-ever/nukes/Cold War/war economy/The Patriots/The Boss' Will/'ow, my ass is starting to hurt, can I play the game now?!' I'll take a menu with largely the same kind of content to listen to what I want when I want over that any day.

They are just codec chats but they don't happen during gameplay.

I would say that the tapes don't happen as gameplay, like in the previous games. The nature of the tapes allows the player to take them in while doing something else. I'd much prefer the big expository info dumps to occur over some nice Shinkawa artwork, but having them as tapes beats out long winded codec calls, personally.

aly

Maybe I'm just unlucky cause I feel like unless I sat stil,l there would be some stupid interruption by Kaz or Ocelot while I was trying to listen to something.

Or maybe some cutscenes were cut and/or made audio because the game had a famously troubled development.

Does that really matter? What we got was an unfinished game in my book. It's lazy to put out a game like this. Whether or not that's due to Konami or Kojima doesn't matter to me.

Disgraced

Maybe I'm just unlucky cause I feel like unless I sat stil,l there would be some stupid interruption by Kaz or Ocelot while I was trying to listen to something.
Nah, you're not unlucky, they're shitty for main missions, because of the frequent radio calls and poor mixing. Personally, I like/d to listen to them during recon on side ops; I'd find a little sniper's nest and let 'em roll while I mark everything and study the routes.
Does that really matter? What we got was an unfinished game in my book. It's lazy to put out a game like this. Whether or not that's due to Konami or Kojima doesn't matter to me.
Yes, the game is "unfinished"/has a sizable amount of cut content
(*cough* as is pretty much every MG game *cough cough cough*)
and hey man, I agree that's totally a bummer but cutting corners and improvising when shit was rough isn't lazy and to say so is unfair to the devs.

daevious

Yes, the game is "unfinished"/has a sizable amount of cut content
(*cough* as is pretty much every MG game *cough cough cough*)
and hey man, I agree that's totally a bummer but cutting corners and improvising when shit was rough isn't lazy and to say so is unfair to the devs.

Almost every game ever made has a large pile of cut content, the issue is that MGS5 cut vital content and left nothing else to replace it. Even MGS4's third act wasn't that bad.

Disgraced

Almost every game ever made has a large pile of cut content, the issue is that MGS5 cut vital content and left nothing else to replace it. Even MGS4's third act wasn't that bad.
A subplot's resolution was cut. I said I agree it sucks and I'd like it in the game.
The point is Liquid and Mantis fucked off to go do FOXHOUND or whatever and that still kind of happens in the game, so it could be worse. Yeah, the parasites, I know, it sucks.
I'm being sort of defensive but let it be known it's not like I don't have problems with MGSV (because I have many), it's just that most of the story and tapes (for the most part) are not among them. And more OT I think Pat's rant about tapes on the subreddit is a bit misconceived and really he should've played the game himself to form a better opinion.

I agree that they should listen to the tapes when they get them, but Pat's overall opinion is correct imo. The tapes suck and are a lazy way of telling info that really shouldn't be optional. In a game with little story, who thought hiding most of it in tapes that you have to sit and listen to, was a good idea?

You mean like codecs?

People really don't seem to understand that tapes are no different.

Fat4all

Banned
I know all this MGSV drama is going on, but...

In regards to their latest Shitstorm vid on Vessel...

For what's probably part 1 of a playthrough of SOMA, I actually thought they did quite well! I love that the game threw them for a loop and after that they seemed to be hooked and didn't really miss much. If gives me hope for the future parts.

Also, on an unrelated note, I just noticed that Cooking With Dog is on Vessel, too! Hot damn!

Xiraiya

Liam in this weeks podcast:
"How dare you remind me of the fact no one cares about Vita, fuck you for bringing it up"

Liam really likes that Vita huh?

Numb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARHVKZ5K1b0

Hnnnnnnnnnng

Haven't been so eager for something since the last guardian.

BetterVainIberianmidwifetoad.gif

CircularDistantCrustacean.gif

I can hear Liam sweating from here.

Skrams

Her moveset is looking super Raideny in pure animation and rigging or whatever. I love it. God, it's going to be so good. Nier fans didn't deserve this, but we totally deserved this.

Her moveset is looking super Raideny in pure animation and rigging or whatever. I love it. God, it's going to be so good. Nier fans didn't deserve this, but we totally deserved this.

Drakengard 3 fans who had to deal with 15-25 FPS action combat with some of the worst screen tearing you'll ever see (from the developers of Deadly Premonition) deserve this the most.

explodet

That ain't NieR, that's Bayonetta wearing NieR's corpse as a suit.

Where's my old man protagonist?
Where's my semi-clunky combat mechanics??
Where's my busted-ass fishing tutorial?!?

Seriously though, it looks great. Locked my preorder in months ago.

ArjanN

I'm sorry I'm late to respond.
I know it wasn't the entire podcast. But it was far too much of it for my taste. That said, it's not just how long they talked about it, it was how disingenuous the discussion felt to me.
I honestly don't think the best friends are half as hype on this game as they seemed to be in that interview. Mostly, because they've barely mentioned up til now. Plus, even when the Best Friends have raging hype boners for something, they usually acknowledge some shortcomings. Even Pat and Woolie have some critiques of SFV. Here? Not so much.
To be honest, I understand the best friends gotta make some compromises, and I don't even blame them for shilling for MikeZ. I just wish I didn't have to listen to it for so long,
Outside of that, yeah MikeZ had some cool things to say.

So...you didn't watch the video of them playing the prototype?

Top Bottom