• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Anung

Un Rama
I like the cassette tapes in theory. The content contained within is basically all the best story beats and some of the most metal gear moments in the series (kaz burger) but the implementation is borderline awful. Yes they are basically codecs but those people forget that codec calls and the plot dumps were meticously paced. Not just random tapes that can be listened to randomly. This game has a dedicated codec button which basically contains ten phrases. They should have mapped tapes to play through the codec so players get vital info while playing without Kaz talking through or over the tapes.

The cut content argument as an example of the game being unfinished is decent. Content gets cut all the time but this basically fucks over an entire plot strand. Something I doubt they wanted to do but were forced. A better example of how mismanaged the game is is actually the second half of the game. The pacing, mission structure and climax is fucked. And can all be attributed to rushed production and compromises. I doubt kojima intended the second chapter to be so haphazard by design (regardless of what the meta-defence force say)

I like the cassette tapes in theory. The content contained within is basically all the best story beats and some of the most metal gear moments in the series (kaz burger) but the implementation is borderline awful. Yes they are basically codecs but those people forget that codec calls and the plot dumps were meticously paced. Not just random tapes that can be listened to randomly. This game has a dedicated codec button which basically contains ten phrases. They should have mapped tapes to play through the codec so players get vital info while playing without Kaz talking through or over the tapes.

The cut content argument as an example of the game being unfinished is decent. Content gets cut all the time but this basically fucks over an entire plot strand. Something I doubt they wanted to do but were forced. A better example of how mismanaged the game is is actually the second half of the game. The pacing, mission structure and climax is fucked. And can all be attributed to rushed production and compromises. I doubt kojima intended the second chapter to be so haphazard by design (regardless of what the meta-defence force say)

The plot dumps were placed meticulously, yes. Those I would've liked to remain, but codec calls in the style of kaz burgers and Godzilla were pace breakers and were used in the same way tapes should be used, outside of combat and at the listeners leisure. And, frankly, I don't know where a quality tape like Skull Face, Code Talker and the bells would go pacing wis if it were an info dump or codec call.

And the second chapter unfolds exactly like chapter 5 in Peace Walker, so there is a level of intention to it's design. I don't like it either and it's a step back from the difficulty setting of Ground Zeroes. Extreme, No Spotting, etc should've been toggles for the original missions after completing the game.

Skrams

Best Friends Play Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls (Part FINAL)

Website

Youtube

queue mass rejoicing of section of fanbase

then queue the shitstorm LP starting and everyone hating that

Oops All New Games! era continues unabated.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't know what the answer to the tapes situation is really. The games design is too open for forced codecs to work and playing them randomly would be bad for story pacing (the games pacing is already bad anyway) I think personally I'd have preferred them being mapped to play in the open world on the codec button or something to fill the dead air. Play them automatically on helicopter rides maybe?

Peace Walker is a hand held game meant to be played incrementally and around a somewhat repetitive design. I'd argue Kojima's very specific brand of storytelling doesn't lend itself to open world design. In fact some of my biggest problems are tied to this being a first attempt at an open world.

Anung

Un Rama
Best Friends Play Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls (Part FINAL)

Website

Youtube

queue mass rejoicing of section of fanbase

then queue the shitstorm LP starting and everyone hating that

Oops All New Games! era continues unabated.

Woolie has warned on his twitter that he rags on this game super hard in the finale. Salt inhibitors off. So be warned folk here who have complained about that.

I hope Liam/Woolie aren't trying to recon this games failure of an LP to being solely on the game and not the bungled way they've handled it.

EDIT: So glad its over.

Only a few minutes into the final Dangan and there's already some writing bullshit:
Didn't Monaca mention wanting to be the Successor in the last episode?

That said, I like the note admitting they fucked up.

Only a few minutes into the final Dangan and there's already some writing bullshit:
Didn't Monaca mention wanting to be the Successor in the last episode?

That said, I like the note admitting they fucked up.

She didn't. She always worded it vaguely and never corrected anyone that assumed otherwise.

sjay1994

sjay1994

I know all this MGSV drama is going on, but...

In regards to their latest Shitstorm vid on Vessel...

For what's probably part 1 of a playthrough of SOMA, I actually thought they did quite well! I love that the game threw them for a loop and after that they seemed to be hooked and didn't really miss much. If gives me hope for the future parts.

Also, on an unrelated note, I just noticed that Cooking With Dog is on Vessel, too! Hot damn!

It seems like they might do a full LP, since usually shitstorms end with them clearly saying "yeah, videos done" or "bye everyone"

This video just ended.

Also as someone who lives in the area the game takes place in
cellphone signal in the TTC subway is a bullshit fairytale

The Undertale eps are so far apart that I'm finding it hard to stay interested.

Meanwhile I've started watching Jojo.

Dio just made that woman eat her own baby, so that's cool.

Edit: this intro is pretty dope btw

Skrams

The roles are really reversed in this Lakeview Cabin shitstorm. Pat being dumb and Matt actually did his research on the game. Weird, but neat.

It seems like they might do a full LP, since usually shitstorms end with them clearly saying "yeah, videos done" or "bye everyone"

Yes, it's a full LP. It's in the website list of LPs.

No, but I'm not looking for MORE shilling, so why would I?

You could see that they're just pretty hype about it in general, even without Mike Z there. Also, it's a prototype, so you can't really critique it very well. Of course they're not going to be super harsh about it when a guest of theirs is working on it, that's just being polite, but I don't know about disingenuous.

Skrams

I hope all this talk about shilling is ironic. Why is this thread slowly turning into /v/

"ON NO, I'M SHILLING AIR."

Totally not ironic. We all truly think they are still being paid the big bucks by M$ and shilling KI super hard. Did you hear all that KI shilling about Karin's normals last podcast? These guys need that money hard.

I feel gross typing M$ now.

tsundoku

I want Woolie and Liam to actually finish an independent game project and kickstart it so that the whiny fanbase can learn the true meaning of shilling.

You need to chillax, broski. Just breath in some fresh air. Breath in... breath out...

ON NO, I'M SHILLING AIR.

You could see that they're just pretty hype about it in general, even without Mike Z there. Also, it's a prototype, so you can't really critique it very well. Of course they're not going to be super harsh about it when a guest of theirs is working on it, that's just being polite, but I don't know about disingenuous.

Shameless shilling is what the best friends are about.

I hope all this talk about shilling is ironic. Why is this thread slowly turning into /v/

KI money can only take you so far.

"ON NO, I'M SHILLING AIR."

Totally not ironic. We all truly think they are still being paid the big bucks by M$ and shilling KI super hard. Did you hear all that KI shilling about Karin's normals last podcast? These guys need that money hard.

I feel gross typing M$ now.

I want Woolie and Liam to actually finish an independent game project and kickstart it so that the whiny fanbase can learn the true meaning of shilling.

Okay guys, jesus, I get the picture. I'll shut up about it.

Wait, is Part 21 of UGD just non existent? I thought they just mixed up the thumbnails but Part 20 ends with a Chapter End screen and the next part opens on a completely new area.

Numb

Having seen the first two seasons of JoJo I now have a huge urge to read the Manga after I'm all caught up.

0i0m0ml.gif

tumblr_m81ogfNtuT1qltwxqo1_r2_500.gif

Now!
So much fuckery

I've never seen a show have less filler btw, it's always going full throttle never letting giving you a breather. Somehow the stakes keep getting raised without it becoming ridiculous.

Oh also before I jumped in I thought that posing had a purpose, but everyone just really likes to pose in this universe. This makes it even better.

Numb

I've never seen a show have less filler btw, it's always going full throttle never letting giving you a breather. Somehow the stakes keep getting raised without it becoming ridiculous.

Oh also before I jumped in I thought that posing had a purpose, but everyone just really likes to pose in this universe. This makes it even better.

Posing? Purpose? Get that shit outta here. Done solely to increase the fab lvls. Hope you have done them by now yourself.
Yeah filler ain't nothing in it. Beat after beat of story. Only reason Woolie hates it cos it ain't got Naruto lvls of filler for him to enjoy.

Old franchise, so no reason for filler.

Jonami90

Neo Member
Hey Best Friends GAF!

Finally got my account activated, though I've been following these threads for some time now (ever since they were being burned through almost weekly at one point)

Been watching Best Friends since... I'd like to say they'd finished Resident Evil 2 and were in the middle of Silent Hill: Downpour, it was from one of their Machinima videos that I found their channel, though I do remember having seen Matt's Street Fighter TAS-videos somewhere before that.

The reason I stuck with the Best Friends is because we like the same things: Platinum is one of my favorite developers (I bought Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 even though I don't have a Wii-U), the Persona-games (3 and 4, mind) are some of my favorite games ever (the rest of SMT that I've played has been great, too), I have a great interest in fighting games (though unfortunately I seem to lack the drive to really get good at them), etc.

Can't think of a great way to finish this, so just, hey, I'll be occasionally posting here from now on, carry on :).

Skrams

Best Friends Play Metal Gear Solid V – The Phantom Pain (Part 31)

Website

Youtube

Hey Best Friends GAF!

Finally got my account activated, though I've been following these threads for some time now (ever since they were being burned through almost weekly at one point)

Been watching Best Friends since... I'd like to say they'd finished Resident Evil 2 and were in the middle of Silent Hill: Downpour, it was from one of their Machinima videos that I found their channel, though I do remember having seen Matt's Street Fighter TAS-videos somewhere before that.

The reason I stuck with the Best Friends is because we like the same things: Platinum is one of my favorite developers (I bought Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 even though I don't have a Wii-U), the Persona-games (3 and 4, mind) are some of my favorite games ever (the rest of SMT that I've played has been great, too), I have a great interest in fighting games (though unfortunately I seem to lack the drive to really get good at them), etc.

Can't think of a great way to finish this, so just, hey, I'll be occasionally posting here from now on, carry on :).
Good shit, son. Welcome and you'rehereforever.png

Congrats to Matt! Hopefully the wedding wasn't too spooky!

Hey Best Friends GAF!

Welcome to the thread!

With Matt's Wedding happening today, i feel like it's almost been 4 years since nothing happened.

It feels like there was something.........eh, I got nothing.

Hey Best Friends GAF!

Welcome! Favorite LP's?

Jonami90

Neo Member
Thanks, guys.

Welcome! Favorite LP's?

For the older stuff, off the top of my head: The Sadness Trilogy, Deadly Premonition, Prison Break, Resident Evil 2, Disaster, Eternal Darkness, Barkley.

For new ones, Until Dawn was really good, Life is Strange has also been a lot of fun.

Ride to Hell was really great but it does have some episodes in which nothing of interest happens. It's worth it though just because there's a high chance you'll crack up at least once in an episode.

Top Bottom