• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Numb

I also tried out the FF XIV trial after seeing those shill videos and it's pretty good. Not good enough to get me to pay a monthly fee tho.

Ah yes, showing you all of you SAO was a good time indeed.
Should try the trial of it one day. It being on console slightly has some push
Watching bible black would have been better.

MrHoot

I had only one gripe in FF 14, and mostly because I was coming out of The Secret World. Say what you want about that MMO but the dungeons of the TSW are some of the best: almost little to absolutely no trash mob, inventive and challenging bosses from the very first dungeon (the first one has you fight a giant cthulhu monster at the end and you have to hide behind rocks so he can't see you. The kind of stuff that would only start to happen near level 50 in FF 14). I play alternatively with FF still since it has no sub. And while the presentation and the animations are lesser than Final Fantasy, it does show some of the weaknesses of FF14. It just made me hate trash mob in general.

(Also the story of TSW is incredibly well done, especially for MMO standards. Sadly I don't have the influence of Pat to convince people to try it out D: )

Have they said whether they're going to the dlc for bloodborne. Pat seemed put off on the last episode due to the forces new game + and they skipped evil within dlc so there's a chance they might skip it

MrHoot

Have they said whether they're going to the dlc for bloodborne. Pat seemed put off on the last episode due to the forces new game + and they skipped evil within dlc so there's a chance they might skip it

I remember at the end of Bloodborne Pat would feel okay in redoing a character for the DLC but who knows. Due to the nature of Souls like DLC it might require more editing (or he'll simply make a character and bring that one to the near-end, and then go do the dlc with that, if that's possible)

I remember at the end of Bloodborne Pat would feel okay in redoing a character for the DLC but who knows. Due to the nature of Souls like DLC it might require more editing (or he'll simply make a character and bring that one to the near-end, and then go do the dlc with that, if that's possible)

The DLC apparently takes place in the first half of the game. No need to replay it all the way through.

What I really liked about playing FF14 was how comfortable I was using a controller. Sure, it needs some getting used to and it's probably still worse than using m+kb but it was pretty great.

Should try the trial of it one day. It being on console slightly has some push
Watching bible black would have been better.

That's because Bible Black is hilarioius, SAO is just creepy.
Yui-Sword-Art-Online-yui-from-sword-art-online-37298391-1920-1080.jpg

Ugh.

tsundoku

Pat talking about FF14 so much finally convinced me to try it out soon. I'll probably pick it up this holiday.

Its pretty fun but I hope you skipped their sponsored content videos where Pat avoids pulling like 19 dungeons out of his hat and opts for the 20th one that spoils a major plot twist about thirty minutes after introducing Liam to the very beginning of that plotline/story.

Actually they genuinely should use the wooliem link from the sponsored content videos if they want to get it 'because of one of the best friends'

http://bit.ly/1YMAc8N

He didn't get me to watch SOA, he's not going to get me to play an MMO.
Though I have to admit, the idea of playing with a bunch of Best Friends enthusiasts was kinda tempting. It's more the gameplay than anything that turns me off mmo's.

Its through and through very similar to WoW but its much more pared down to the point where WoW has been trying to get to with its latest expansion. FFXIV is probably easier then WoW but that's also because SE / Yoshi P actually respect their players and try to make it so the game has visual information you can parse. WoW is straight up harder because you can't tell for shit what is happening on the screen quite a few times.

Also the world, races, story, subclasses, focus away from the auction house, and little inworld minigames are way more fun then the WoW ones which all start off with good concepts and pare down to "log in every day and try this to get the daily bonus did we mention staying subscribed and logging in every day".

convo

Haha someone in the anime thread also compared OPM to SAO somehow.
One power fantasy is not like the other and even then how doesn't one get that one is a comedy and satire and the other not? Some people have some warped perceptions.

edit: But i guess people need some narrative to make them care or it's automatically garbage. Well we can play the gif spam game once opm has ended and make a real comparison then.

I don't remember anyone actually confirming Reboot being dead, but dunno. Hopefully it's not.

To stamp it into the dirt more.

tTJDI.gif

My hatred for Sao began when someone felt the need to tell me guts from berserk stole the black swordsman name from kirito and that guts is a poor character in contrast. That and the weird tentacle bullshit.

Rean

Its pretty fun but I hope you skipped their sponsored content videos where Pat avoids pulling like 19 dungeons out of his hat and opts for the 20th one that spoils a major plot twist about thirty minutes after introducing Liam to the very beginning of that plotline/story.
I actually did check them out, but I don't mind. I haven't played a lot of FFs to get some of the things he showed off, and I'll probably play 6 and 8 beforehand so I can know more of the references, locations, etc.

Tales from the Borderlands is amazing. 3 chapters in and its right up there with TWD S1 and TWAU (I'd argue even better, since I love all the characters in TftB so far). Besides a couple of nods here and there to the previous games, you really don't need any prior experience with the franchise to play this game.

Hope Woolie really enjoys it. Its fantastic and my biggest surprise in a year that had Splatoon and LiS.

I think he did the last dungeon in the 2.0 content right? (Haven't seen the second part yet). If so, at the least its pretty minor in the grand scheme of the story. Spoiling anything from past 2.0/Heavensward would have been terrible though.

MrHoot

I think he did the last dungeon in the 2.0 content right? (Haven't seen the second part yet). If so, at the least its pretty minor in the grand scheme of the story. Spoiling anything from past 2.0/Heavensward would have been terrible though.

I'm about to finish the story of 3.0 on my lala right now. I'm giddy with anticipation

Xiraiya

The very end of that LiS episode was a tad frustrating, them not hearing/reacting to the birds crashing into the window.
Liam gunjumping over the really fucked up diary page that shows you one of the first indications that everything is bananas, at least they read the text messages, that was a relief.
Their obliviousness sometimes is just unreal.

To stamp it into the dirt more.
tTJDI.gif
Is that from season 2? the dumb Elf Ears make me think it's from the first season, if so I definitely do not remember that scene happening and it seems like he's actually just next to her if you were to see it from another angle.
SAO is bad, but don't do the Matt thing.

Seeing games being played really poorly gives me a huge urge to play that game "properly" and I don't feel at ease until I've at least proven a point to myself.

This isn't a jab at SBFP but at some other let's plays I've seen.

Only things you need to know from Canada Cup. JimmyFierce is a God, MURDAFACE, and never bet against the Japanese.

That David Cage conversation was everything i wanted. Cant wait for the game to come out for the LP.

And i really need to get around to watching Daredevil. So much stuff on the backlog.

Skrams

Is that from season 2? the dumb Elf Ears make me think it's from the first season, if so I definitely do not remember that scene happening and it seems like he's actually just next to her if you were to see it from another angle.
SAO is bad, but don't do the Matt thing.
It's a cherry picked scene from ALO S1. It's just them trying to open a door that can be misconstrued as other things. I meant originally to find just a screengrab of it since papa, but got that instead.

Neol

Yea really excited for Jessica Jones as well.

Seems like there are not gonna overly censor it as well so some scenes will be surprising for newcomers.

Anung

Un Rama
Yea really excited for Jessica Jones as well.

Seems like there are not gonna overly censor it as well so some scenes will be surprising for newcomers.

+1

In fact it seems like they are going to be going darker than the comic. Which is crazy as its dark enough as is.

Really on the fence about Preacher though. It has the potential to go either way.

Geg

Wait I just now watched the episode of Life is Strange that went up on the channel yesterday and I'm confused the scene it ended on

Why would tearing up the photo mean she's captured by Jefferson again? Wasn't he arrested because she tipped off David about him?

Skrams

I think that Soma monster has a penis.

Wait I just now watched the episode of Life is Strange that went up on the channel yesterday and I'm confused the scene it ended on

Why would tearing up the photo mean she's captured by Jefferson again? Wasn't he arrested because she tipped off David about him?

I had the same question as well. I'm not 100% sure on it, but I think it's because
he saw the ripped photo in her journal. He was annoyed she didn't turn anything in, squandered her talent, and so he decided to burn her journal with all her photos because of it. Since she used a previous photo to jump back that's why she ended up there again. I assume she'll have to find a new way to jump back now. I guess we might get to finally use the drunk Warren photo now? Dunno.

Or maybe it's just a dumb story thing. Not sure. I'm sure it will be explained at the beginning of the next episode as even Max seemed confused. I wish this shit was daily since I'd really like to look up the thing about Warren's locker at this point, but I want to wait until the LP is over.

MrHoot

Finished FF14 heavensward story mission

spoilers for the story:

Holy shit that King Thordran fight was fucking cool as hell. Plus like a culmination of everything you've learned so far. Way better than the Ultima fight at the end of 2.0. The fight right before with the ascended ascians was also super cool.
Overall the story of Heavensward/3.0 felt way better. Probably because it's condensed throughough 10 levels so it's paced properly and doesn't have too much filler like 2.0 or the story leading to 2.55.

Still left with a lot of plot which I'm eager to know about: The remaining of the scions, what the fuck is Urianger's deal, and the whole Warriors of Darkness stuff. Also the Garlean Empire making a pretty good comeback. It's hard to know what will be the focus next. It's pretty obvious though that the Garlean Emperor will become a callback to FF2's emperor

Squishy3

Finished FF14 heavensward story mission

spoilers for the story:

Holy shit that King Thordran fight was fucking cool as hell. Plus like a culmination of everything you've learned so far. Way better than the Ultima fight at the end of 2.0. The fight right before with the ascended ascians was also super cool.
Overall the story of Heavensward/3.0 felt way better. Probably because it's condensed throughough 10 levels so it's paced properly and doesn't have too much filler like 2.0 or the story leading to 2.55.

Still left with a lot of plot which I'm eager to know about: The remaining of the scions, what the fuck is Urianger's deal, and the whole Warriors of Darkness stuff. Also the Garlean Empire making a pretty good comeback. It's hard to know what will be the focus next. It's pretty obvious though that the Garlean Emperor will become a callback to FF2's emperor
Now watch the 3.1 trailer and get back to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkRTO7co_Yc&ab_channel=FINALFANTASYXIV

pat and everyone else in the FC is super excited

Jonami90

Neo Member
For as long as they took to find the man on fire in MGS...

It still took me like double that. Hiding in plain sight and all that.

Also, I'm not sure I like the direction LiS is going.

Matt's wedding sounded great, really hope he manages to make some kind of a video out of that.

Indeed. You should have watched SAO with us that one time. Almost made the show better.Almost.
Mostly played MonHun with him and sbf-gaf.
If it was anything than an MMO i would have played it already.

No, the stuff I've heard about SAO had me waaay too scurred, even for an ironic viewing. As per that gif.

Its through and through very similar to WoW but its much more pared down to the point where WoW has been trying to get to with its latest expansion. FFXIV is probably easier then WoW but that's also because SE / Yoshi P actually respect their players and try to make it so the game has visual information you can parse. WoW is straight up harder because you can't tell for shit what is happening on the screen quite a few times.

Also the world, races, story, subclasses, focus away from the auction house, and little inworld minigames are way more fun then the WoW ones which all start off with good concepts and pare down to "log in every day and try this to get the daily bonus did we mention staying subscribed and logging in every day".

Actually, I'm not too MMO informed, but, the 'cooldown', realtime, open combat thing itself that mmo's usually use that's the turn off to me. I've only really experienced it in games like FF12 and Xenoblade. The latter was a lot better than the former in that regard, but... it's just doesn't do it for me.
I'm willing to give it another go with Xenoblade C and FF15, but I've seen enough of 14 that I'm not that intrigued. Plus, I don't think I'll be able to muster the enthusiasm to even try either of those if FFXIV doesn't wow me so...
I gotta stay away.

Top Bottom