• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

tsundoku

As someone who sat through the entirety of bloodborne, chrono trigger, re4, nmh2, smrpg, dark2, nuzlocke and recently mgsv and skimmed despair girls:

what the fuck are you all on about a "reduction in quality" "lengthening time of episodes" "running in circles not finding objectives" "ignoring my valuable feedback and critique" and "failing simple gameplay mechanics" the best friends are operating as normal here.

despair girls is just a terminally shitty game. pat is guessing the simple plot twists in mgsv because the trailers give most of them away and the game has had almost all story elements stripped out and it is essentially an hd portable game.

attitude in this thread has gotten super best negative friends since the last time i really checked in a few months back. not surprised pat has bailed entirely and that they stick to checking the reddit and twitter occasionally. if youre not watching the best friend lps for commentary and gameplay that "gets off to a rolicking good start" and youre expecting them to suddenly deliver flawless gameplay and editing and have no character or humor then i dont understand what youre watching the best friends for.

keep watching the channel and the videos though - pat

no. but actually stop watching - matt.

etc.

Glad to see Woolie progress form the point where he was making fun of Dengeki Bunko and Under Night simply for their names, and writing them off as waifu fighters (while in the same breath praising Xuan Dou Zhi Wang for it's character design despite it being painfully derivative), to actually playing and enjoying them. There's hope for everyone.

Fat4all

Banned
I feel like on one of the podcasts Matt mentions taking an anger management class in the past, unless I'm mistaken? It seems like something that could pop-up when under stress, like going on a shit diet, or getting married.

Honestly, I feel like the only time Matt ever really snapped in the spotlight was him arguing with Woolie about how he ordered steak at a Denny's or sommit. All the LP's I see with him are usually pretty good, at least in my opinion.

Now I feel like I need to re-listen to all the old casts to see if I remembered right :/

I feel like on one of the podcasts Matt mentions taking an anger management class in the past, unless I'm mistaken? It seems like something that could pop-up when under stress, like going on a shit diet, or getting married.

Honestly, I feel like the only time Matt ever really snapped in the spotlight was him arguing with Woolie about how he ordered steak at a Denny's or sommit. All the LP's I see with him are usually pretty good, at least in my opinion.

Now I feel like I need to re-listen to all the old casts to see if I remembered right :/

Still one of the best podcast moments. Despite the passion in Matt's voice I'm pretty sure it was in jest. Mostly.

Ilvocare

As someone who sat through the entirety of bloodborne, chrono trigger, re4, nmh2, smrpg, dark2, nuzlocke and recently mgsv and skimmed despair girls:

what the fuck are you all on about a "reduction in quality" "lengthening time of episodes" "running in circles not finding objectives" "ignoring my valuable feedback and critique" and "failing simple gameplay mechanics" the best friends are operating as normal here.

despair girls is just a terminally shitty game. pat is guessing the simple plot twists in mgsv because the trailers give most of them away and the game has had almost all story elements stripped out and it is essentially an hd portable game.

attitude in this thread has gotten super best negative friends since the last time i really checked in a few months back. not surprised pat has bailed entirely and that they stick to checking the reddit and twitter occasionally. if youre not watching the best friend lps for commentary and gameplay that "gets off to a rolicking good start" and youre expecting them to suddenly deliver flawless gameplay and editing and have no character or humor then i dont understand what youre watching the best friends for.

keep watching the channel and the videos though - pat

no. but actually stop watching - matt.

etc.

It's funny, you're the last person I expected to make a post like this.

Skrams

I'm not sure what point you're even making. If all you're saying is that it's always been this way so put up or shut up then what. People are making comments about blind LPs which are not a thing that we're of great abundance on this channel always. People are talking about it because it's been like this for about 3-4 months. The only non blind LPs in there have been Starfox and RE3. Those both ended in September and August.

Their gameplay skills are always going to fluctuate on the game. No one expects flawless gameplay. I think people have a right to critique Liam's skill in MGS5 considering it's 34+ parts. He's had more than enough time to get use to the game and he's been doing stuff in his off time with it. If a person finds it frustrating that Liam still throws people against walls despite the tens of times he could of noticed the enemy waking up quick then that's a pretty normal reaction. I also don't know if you meant to post RE4, CT, and NMH2 as an example of them playing poorly or not. If you did, then what.

Also come on son with the editing. Since when has the trade off ever been better editing, but shittier humor or character. I'm not even sure if people are shitting on the editing exactly, but I know I think the current schedule with uploads is shitty. I know they certainly don't have better humor or character in some episodes because of the recent sloppy upload schedule. The math on that doesn't check out.

It seems petty to me to say that's the reason Pat no longer posts here as well. A string of recent critical comments is the reason he avoids the thread. Pat is the kind of person who wants to avoid criticism for the product he's putting out. Sure then.

Oh god they're actually playing Dengeki Bunko's fighter?

B-B-But that don't even know anyone other than Kirito?! Don't tell me it's a 45min Kirito show?!?!

Liam helps them out with most of the cast.

You should broaden your horizons.

Try Black Lagoon, Baccano, and/or Ping Pong The Animation. 90s weren't perfect, man.

Coulda sworn Black Lagoon was 90's, and of course Baccano isn't but it's good.
But yeah, it was too broad a statement on my part. I'm more saying, when it comes to new shows, more often than not if it's not from old manga[parasyte, opm], or an old anime creators' work[Space Dandy, Kekkai Sensen]... it doesn't work for me.

Skrams

But yeah, it was too broad a statement on my part. I'm more saying, when it comes to new shows, more often than not if it's not from old manga[parasyte, opm], or an old anime creators' work[Space Dandy, Kekkai Sensen]... it doesn't work for me.

One Punch Man was 2009 with ONE and then 2012 with Murata. You're not really helping your case man.

Also Black Lagoon was 2006.

One Punch Man was 2009 with ONE and then 2012 with Murata. You're not really helping your case man.

Also Black Lagoon was 2006.

My case?
Is that I only really like 90's anime? And I guess I've proven I don't know much of anything about shows made outside that decade too, you're right on that. But dude, finding a couple shows I liked not made in the decade doesn't disprove my taste exists. Come on.
Besides, it's just my taste. Much love to anyone who loves a different decade in the medium. But most of it is just not for me, sorry.

Moonlight

Banned
Kekkai Sensen's a relatively recent shounen, and the adaptation is directed by a very recent breakout director. You really can't get more modern. :p

I think it's like saying you'll only watch 90's sitcoms, because all sitcoms after the 90s suck - just look at The Big Bang Theory. Anime is a big medium, and season to season there's usually something to watch that'll be action-focused with minimal cutesy stuff, which I think what your criteria ultimately seems like.

DBFC (one word off from another acronym) covers the most mainstream series with the most appeal in a specific set of anime fans, so it's not really representative of anything other than some popular series under a certain publisher.

Kekkai Sensen's a relatively recent shounen, and the adaptation is directed by a very recent breakout director. You really can't get more modern. :p

I think it's like saying you'll only watch 90's sitcoms, because all sitcoms after the 90s suck - just look at The Big Bang Theory. Anime is a big medium, and season to season there's usually something to watch that'll be action-focused with minimal cutesy stuff, which I think what your criteria ultimately seems like.

DBFC (one word off from another acronym) covers the most mainstream series with the most appeal in a specific set of anime fans, so it's not really representative of anything other than some popular series under a certain publisher.

I feel my last post answered most of this, but I'll add that you should really look up Yasuhiro Nightow. And I leave it at that before I actually slip into doing my old Doctorevil troll of pestering people to watch Trigun.

Good night guys.

ArjanN

I feel my last post answered most of this, but I'll add that you should really look up Yasuhiro Nightow. And I leave it at that before I actually slip into doing my old Doctorevil troll of pestering people to watch Trigun.

Good night guys.

I think you like a certain type of anime which was more prevalent in the 90s, but not exclusive to it. So 'my favourite anime are from the 90s' probably makes more sense than saying you only like anime from the 90s.

The current trend is defintely more towards moe otaku bait type stuff.

joe2187

Banned
Dengenki video was shit...

they never picked Holo!

Probably one of the better Fisticuffs episodes, but nothing will top DONG DONG!

Anung

Un Rama

attitude in this thread has gotten super best negative friends since the last time i really checked in a few months back. not surprised pat has bailed entirely and that they stick to checking the reddit and twitter occasionally. if youre not watching the best friend lps for commentary and gameplay that "gets off to a rolicking good start" and youre expecting them to suddenly deliver flawless gameplay and editing and have no character or humor then i dont understand what youre watching the best friends for..

Judging by this post it's obvious you've not actually read what people said and just posted reactionary nonsense instead. I think it's bollocks to label a lot of the legitimate and well explained criticisms in this thread as negativity. Especially when people went out there way to explain how output is not the same as before.

That Pat thing is bollocks as well. He doesn't come in because we are 'too real' for him? Ha! He said before that he felt he can't get good feedback because we'd ass kiss him too much. Well he doesn't have to worry about that going off the last few pages ;) if Pat wants to ignore the constructive criticism of a sample of his fanbase then cool. Things will probably stay in the weird funk they've been in and fans will probably still complain. (Also Reddit etc has been airing the same criticisms so it's not just us.)

Like I said before. I watch them to be entertained. I find their opinions, chemistry and reactions entertaining. I don't find them being lost, not listening to simple story cues, editing huge chunks of material out. Playing a game blind they end up locked into for 40+ episodes and hating. Technical goofs and sound problems they've been having more of lately in spite of wanting people to pay money towards them. These things aren't very entertaining.

And yeah you could argue "well this is just how they are" yeah, they were still consistent though. They want to expand the channel but the quality has taken a dip in several places for no discernible reason. It doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Also I don't expect them to play perfectly. It's an LP that's not going to happen. But with all their experience you'd at least want then to play competently.

The quality of their performace isnt a problem for me as much as a lack of interest, not given attention to the game and complaining about things when they talked over it. Pat was pretty bad in resident evil 4 as was matt in silent hill downpour but you could see they were totally engaged. I personally think woolie and matt cant lp a game they hate.

Anung

Un Rama
The quality of their performace isnt a problem for me as much as a lack of interest, not given attention to the game and complaining about things when they talked over it. Pat was pretty bad in resident evil 4 as was matt in silent hill downpour but you could see they were totally engaged. I personally think woolie and matt cant lp a game they hate.

The Evil Within is a perfect example of what you said. It should have been Pat and Liam. Liam played the game already so could have guided Pat. Instead we got Matt who played a 1/4 of the game. Disliked it but didn't understand it and fed Pat misinformation about how it works. They both get frustrated and assume it's the games fault. And it isn't fun as a viewer watching them fail to grasp simple puzzles and mechanics while shitting on it for no reason.

I think that Matt shouldn't be on an LP unless he actually cares about it or is interested. When he is passionate about an LP he is the best. He says interesting things and you can feel the love. He's not great anywhere else as he just just starts rattling off one liners fart gas, Simpsons quote, hey kids woolie-blank. IMO he brings the worst commentary of the group.

Village

Disinterest will ruin any lp, solo channels tend to have less that than others

Related: any one else when playing fighting games say when they have found the " whatever" color. Playing with friends using cammy and her new costume "oh god i have found the woolie color" they didnt get it but i got hype i found the woolie color

I've been a SBF watcher for a long time and just found this thread :)

Reading the last few pages, I agree with almost all of the criticism. I don't care about LPs on newer games nearly as much as LPs for games that I've played or heard about in the past.

I also feel that everyone in the Zaibatsu is losing interest with playing games for LP purposes. For the past year everything has felt ho hum, that they play games to maintain the channel rather than playing games they want to play. A lot of the conversations and jokes during better LPs would revolve around the game, now it feels like they kill dead air with random conversations.

It feels like there's been a fear of losing the existing fanbase along with no new fans coming in, and the Best Friends solution has been to play new games and try to play what's being buzzed about. Ironically, this is making a lot of old time fans weary and things aren't as fun as they used to be.

Squishy3

I'm basically treating them as Giantbomb where I listen to the podcast but don't watch a large amount of the video content, because listening to 3 hours of them just bullshitting is way better than it split up between a multitude of videos where everyone's not present.

So I just listen to the podcast and watch FNF/Scrublords and whatever let's watch [conference goes here] that gets put up, much like how I only listen to the GBcast and watch UPF or whatever videos have most of the people present

Mat-triX

I think having most - if not every - recent lp be a pure blind play through for both people is a mistake. It's too easy to miss details and spread false information, when neither has played the game before.

Pure blind lps are good if the game is bad (like Prison break, or Ride to Hell) since most people don't care if they get information wrong, as the viewer most likely does not have any love or passion for the game.

A Pure blind lp of a good game is hit or miss. If they get information wrong, all the people who love/are passionate about said game gets pissed.

For example, MGS V is a great game but there's a ton of grinding, and the plot almost doesn't exist, and experimentation is fun to watch once something is mastered. All of this sounds like LP poison, and it is. MGS V is great for highlights and making a specific video, but its a terrible game to watch in its entirety.

It wasn't hard to find out that MGSV is a big game before release, and it follows what Peace Walker set out do except with much better gameplay. If Pat and Liam ignored impressions detailing the game, that's dumb on their part. If they read impressions and decided to go through with the playthrough anyway, they succeeded when it came to bringing in views, but failed extraordinarily when it comes to doing a good LP.

The most logical, safe, and fun Lp they could've done would be a LP of MGS1. Its short, the cutscenes are awesome even with background conversations, and it would be fun hearing what Pat, Matt, Liam, or Woolie think about certain characters and topics in the game.

Any MGS game besides MGS4 and Peacewalker would've been better LP choices.

Laputa_94

For example, MGS V is a great game but there's a ton of grinding, and the plot almost doesn't exist, and experimentation is fun to watch once something is mastered. All of this sounds like LP poison, and it is. MGS V is great for highlights and making a specific video, but its a terrible game to watch in its entirety.

It wasn't hard to find out that MGSV is a big game before release, and it follows what Peace Walker set out do except with much better gameplay. If Pat and Liam ignored impressions detailing the game, that's dumb on their part. If they read impressions and decided to go through with the playthrough anyway, they succeeded when it came to bringing in views, but failed extraordinarily when it comes to doing a good LP.

The most logical, safe, and fun Lp they could've done would be a LP of MGS1. Its short, the cutscenes are awesome even with background conversations, and it would be fun hearing what Pat, Matt, Liam, or Woolie think about certain characters and topics in the game.

Any MGS game besides MGS4 and Peacewalker would've been better LP choices.

Welcome to the thread, you are right in that playing older MGS games would have certainly have been the better choice for quality. But as you mentioned it seemed more like an attempt to capture views from the hype, and they wanted to play the game themselves anyway so it probably looked like a win win situation at the time without much long term quality considerations.

I also feel that everyone in the Zaibatsu is losing interest with playing games for LP purposes. For the past year everything has felt ho hum, that they play games to maintain the channel rather than playing games they want to play. A lot of the conversations and jokes during better LPs would revolve around the game, now it feels like they kill dead air with random conversations.

It feels like there's been a fear of losing the existing fanbase along with no new fans coming in, and the Best Friends solution has been to play new games and try to play what's being buzzed about. Ironically, this is making a lot of old time fans weary and things aren't as fun as they used to be.

Pretty much how I feel. I mean take the most recent Vessel video. That felt like the Best Friends I enjoyed watching so much around a year ago. These days, the most I really enjoy is the podcast and the very occasional LP.

Remember when they talked about Bray Wyatt stealing the Undertaker and draining his powers?

Someone at WWE creative must be a Best Friends fan.

Skrams

Best Friends Play Life is Strange (Part 23)

Youtube

Website

Chloe's being kind of a dick EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE TIME POWERS. SHUT UP, I KNOW THE FUTURE.

Also the ending for this particular episode is a lil nuts.

Are you kidding?

244_HIAC_10252015ej_3619.jpg

I never joke about Wrestling.

Skrams

Liam's hatred for Warren is super dumb. Like there is nothing in the game justifying his irrational hatred for the kid.

Others have said it in the past, but Warren might remind of himself when he was younger. I think Liam previously mentioned he had a friend that acted like Warren, so that might be it too. I can easily see why he dislikes him though. Comments like "You came here for the photo, not for me," is just that passive aggressive shit and it's the worst. I really want to look up that Warren locker bit after this playthrough ends.

aly

Others have said it in the past, but Warren might remind of himself when he was younger. I think Liam previously mentioned he had a friend that acted like Warren, so that might be it too. I can easily see why he dislikes him though. Comments like "You came here for the photo, not for me," is just that passive aggressive shit and it's the worst. I really want to look up that Warren locker bit after this playthrough ends.

Yeah, I had that same thought about Liam and Warren as well. I guess I find extra dumb though because Chloe is equally awful and honestly worst in the context of being Max's friend, but I guess her being Liam's bae saves her from that same hatred. The Warren locker bit is hilarious though.

Yeah, I had that same thought about Liam and Warren as well. I guess I find extra dumb though because Chloe is equally awful and honestly worst in the context of being Max's friend, but I guess her being Liam's bae saves her from that same hatred. The Warren locker bit is hilarious though.
Opinions

Top Bottom