• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

^ Sorry, but thinking this way is what will lead to them turning into Game Grumps, and nobody who care about quality content wants that.

I don't want it, but I also don't want the guys channel to fail because it's their job. If they ended up going the crowd appeasing route by playing the new hotness for every LP and continue along the DSP "I don't get the game!" route they've been going lately, well, there's other forms of entertainment out there. Just means they won't be for me anymore.

If it's between the two options, it's a tough call. First time reactions are really important to someone like me. I want to see them experience things for the first time. I don't give a shit how close it is to release, but that element is critical if it's a "blind" run.

I adore blind reactions. Honestly it's not so much the fact that it is blind that bothers me, it's just the lack of attention that's being focused on the game these days as LP's seem to be more of a "tell stories for 3-4 hours and every now and then reference the game" mentality. I listen to the podcast for that.

Edit: Whoop, double.

The blind LP question is kind of a self defeating one. I don't think asking the people is the way to go the guys themselves should have a pretty good idea by now what makes a good LP. Some blind (when appropriate) some one blind and some knowledgable. Just depends on the game. This poll just makes it feel like they are trying to justify all the dumb blind LP's. Blind LP's aren't inherently bad but they can be (like recently)
I think the problem is that, for them, some of the double blinds have been among the most highly regarded LPs, while others are considered totally shit, and they're too busy to take the time out to really analyze why that is. It's fairly obvious to us what games are better for double blinds, but when the Zaibatsu is recording hours of game footage a day, editing it, uploading, dealing with site problems/equipment problems, etc..., there's not a lot of room for them to sit down and hash things out when they're trying to make a living and fit in their real lives too.

there's not a lot of room for them to sit down and hash things out when they're trying to make a living and fit in their real lives too.

Now that's just a big load. A lot of us work jobs, some full time, and still catch these LP's and see the issues and what causes them. If you really think that between 4 different guys they can't seem to pinpoint what games are good for blinds and which aren't then you're fooling yourself.

Edzi

At the end of the day, the numbers don't lie. If that what a majority of their viewer base wants and that's what they want to move towards then it's their decision. This is their lively hood after all, and catering to the smallest part of your community isn't going to keep you afloat for long. It's disappointing to long time fans but eh, that's how the world works!

^ Sorry, but thinking this way is what will lead to them turning into Game Grumps, and nobody who care about quality content wants that.

Still, I don't think we're at risk of them going that route yet. They specified that they know the best formula is 1 blind/1 experienced, so they're probably just asking the question to figure out how to approach certain games and not to dictate the direction of the channel.

The talking one is a good question and I'm glad the 'listen when you should option' is winning.

The blind LP question is kind of a self defeating one. I don't think asking the people is the way to go the guys themselves should have a pretty good idea by now what makes a good LP. Some blind (when appropriate) some one blind and some knowledgable. Just depends on the game. This poll just makes it feel like they are trying to justify all the dumb blind LP's. Blind LP's aren't inherently bad but they can be (like recently)

Still it makes me happy they are seeking feedback. all the complaints must be too loud to ignore

Pretty much. Blind LPs can be good, but it's up to them to understand which games are built for it and which aren't. Asking the fans isn't the right way to go about this, but hopefully the survey indicates that they've begun to understand that the way they've approached it recently is a problem.

If it's between the two options, it's a tough call. First time reactions are really important to someone like me. I want to see them experience things for the first time. I don't give a shit how close it is to release, but that element is critical if it's a "blind" run.

Yeah, just depends on the game. It's just the fact that they're asking the fans that's sort of troubling, since that might give them the wrong idea, though that's just me worrying too much. They've clearly been thinking about this a lot and I'm sure they understand what needs to happen.

Anung

Un Rama
Engaging with someone on twitter was a mistake. I've already got the 'you don't understand LP's' argument because I don't find listening to empty commentary and frustration amusing.

People don't seem to understand that wanting someone to know what's happening on a game doesn't mean I want to experience the game myself. The commentary would be of a a higher quality if they listened and would save off so much tedium and frustration (SOMA)

aly

Say what you will about Game Grumps, but they seem to work on an ok schedule with alright audio and editing. Even their Bloodborne lp was less painful to watch.

Say what you will about Game Grumps, but they seem to work on an ok schedule with alright audio and editing. Even their Bloodborne lp was less painful to watch.
The Grumps have someone to handle the tech side of the house. Perhaps the Zaibatsu should find someone to do that.

Now that's just a big load. A lot of us work jobs, some full time, and still catch these LP's and see the issues and what causes them. If you really think that between 4 different guys they can't seem to pinpoint what games are good for blinds and which aren't then you're fooling yourself.
Well yeah, we're always going to be spotting the problems before they do because we're outside observers watching the finished products. Our perspective is different than theirs when they're making it (usually in a multi-hour session), much like whoever's not playing has an easier time spotting things than the one who's actually at the controls. That broader perspective/perception that the viewer has doesn't change, regardless of what you've got going on in your real life, because you're processing what they're doing and that's more or less it.

Remember, it's always way harder to make something than you'd think it would be.

The Grumps have someone to handle the tech side of the house. Perhaps the Zaibatsu should find someone to do that.
I think the switch to a dedicated office setup would do wonders in helping them finally sort out the tech stuff, but they should probably have at least one freelance tech guy they can call up on a regular basis.

Skrams

Engaging with someone on twitter was a mistake. I've already got the 'you don't understand LP's' argument because I don't find listening to empty commentary and frustration amusing.

People don't seem to understand that wanting someone to know what's happening on a game doesn't mean I want to experience the game myself. The commentary would be of a a higher quality if they listened and would save off so much tedium and frustration (SOMA)
There's probably fine conversations you can have on twitter, but I imagine a lot of that is going to be drive by shit considering it's twitter. Same thing goes for twitch as I was recently reminded that basic debate conversation isn't really common over there either. That's just the internet I suppose.

Isn't that because they put out 30-40 min of content a day and they have Barry running everything? I don't know if they have others doing video stuff, but I know Barry seems to be pretty great at his job. I have no idea if they have a office like setting though so they aren't constantly recording things at each others homes which then causes everything to explode like it seems to do for the best friends.

MrHoot

It's weird to think what big LP channel have become tho. I'd be interested if like Slowbeef did another retsucast with Pat, Woolie or even Matt and Liam who haven't been on that show.

I think there's definitively one thing that is obvious and been brought up just before that would make Double blinds way better, and it's just editing. They've been doing it slightly more recently although it consists of mostly straight cuts. But it's nice to note how even a so-so LP can be improved with nice editing (it's one of the big strengths of Game Grumps for that matter.)

However considering they're already looking for money for a recording studio, I don't think investing for a new guy in editing is top priority

Anung

Un Rama
Jesus Christ I've just been accused to micromanaging their success. What the fuck?! Viewer feedback has been the origin of the entire conversation.

Twitter can be dumb.

Anung

Un Rama
But it's nice to note how even a so-so LP can be improved with nice editing (it's one of the big strengths of Game Grumps for that matter.)

However considering they're already looking for money for a recording studio, I don't think investing for a new guy in editing is top priority

I actually agree. Editing would probably be the way to go. I mean if we are gonna get blind LP's no matter what then cut the fat and frustration and it'd be a way better experience for everyone.

Also I'm not a huge GG fan but say what you will the quality of their work, editing etc has been excellent and that was before they even got a studio.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm one of those people who stopped watching Game Grumps after Jontron left, how have they fared since then? I know they've gotten even more popular, but how are they quality-wise these days?

MrHoot

I'm one of those people who stopped watching Game Grumps after Jontron left, how have they fared since then? I know they've gotten even more popular, but how are they quality-wise these days?

They're pretty good now from my perspective. They still do the annoying thing sometimes of putting out a lot of small videos per day. Although some others are longer (like the undertale, which can reach 40-50 minutes).

In general, and I hate to admit, but it's gotten better since Jon left. I love jon to bits and I like his solo stuff. But his live commentary with arin was a bit sub par. Since then, with also now more people joining in, it seems more comfortable. And well, they have some nice production values. The commentary content itself though is still very light and tends to go either jokey or surface-level when it comes to the game, with some exception. It's still why i prefer largely 2bf. Because when their commentary is good, it's just excellent. But they've just been "sloppy" recently. I still love them to bits, and I actually want to finish a long illustration/painting I had for a while for them.

I stayed for another year, and I think Dan is amazing - though it's weird. When it was Jon and Arin, Arin was my favourite and I always wanted him to win during Game Grump vs. After Dan joined, it almost seemed like Arin took the role of the unlikable one to help the viewers like Dan more. Me and my then-gf stopped watching because Arin was acting like an insufferable douche (around the time they were doing some trauma centre game), and we just couldn't take it anymore, even though we liked Dan and Barry (and Ross, sometimes). Ended up going from watching a lot of their vids together to unsubbing altogether and not feeling any different.

I watched a few random videos recently because I saw them being talked about in a few places, like the Mario Maker and a couple of those "Best of [month]" clips they have, and while Arin has seriously mellowed out since then (There's one episode where Egoraptor does these horrible Yoda impressions that I found pretty damn hilarious), I still don't think I'll go back.

so today i literally corner trapped a Deathclaw into its death cause of a bug
it got stock in the edge of a corner in Salem in the Museuem
also currently lv 16 and still havent been to Diamond City
this game is doing the same thing Witcher 3 did to me

aly

I think it's pretty good. I like the commentary between Arin and Dan, although a bunch of tiny videos a day can be frustrating.

Arin and Dan commentate very well together, it's very natural
Very funny(if a bit childish sometimes)
high production values
frequent uploads

Dislikes:
10-minute videos leads me to ignore uploads until I can watch 5-6 episodes in a row, 10 minutes is awful.
They are bad at playing, actually Arin is pretty good once he focuses but they never do.
They frequently abandon games before finishing(I wasn't around before Jon left so I don't know if this is the norm)
there's some acting(I don't mind though)

Dan is great though, even though he has very little game knowledge he adds a lot to LPs even though it's mostly because he goes off-topic very often.

Anung

Un Rama
"tweet me back when you hit it big LP'ing."

Pack it up guys. Apparently we can't offer feedback unless we are also huge pro LP'ers.

I honestly didn't think the fanbase were this bad.

Pack it up guys. Apparently we can't offer feedback unless we are also huge pro LP'ers.

Why are you still talking to them?

And really, you didn't? I noticed it a while ago and people called me crazy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Dude, that's just people. It's not specific to the fanbase, and it's certainly not specific to Twitter. What you described is the most tired fossil of a non-argument on the internet.

Anung

Un Rama
Dude, that's just people. It's not specific to the fanbase, and it's certainly not specific to Twitter. What you described is the most tired fossil of a non-argument on the internet.

Oh for sure. The 'you can't do better' is the last bastion of the dumb argument. I think this place being full of cool peeps coloured my perceptions about the fanbase overall.

Isn't that because they put out 30-40 min of content a day and they have Barry running everything? I don't know if they have others doing video stuff, but I know Barry seems to be pretty great at his job. I have no idea if they have a office like setting though so they aren't constantly recording things at each others homes which then causes everything to explode like it seems to do for the best friends.

Nowadays they have the new editing guy Kevin doing editing with Barry, but he also spends a lot of time doing videos now with grumpcade. They have an office that I believe they share with Markipler? But they also use it for other stuff, like their grumpout channel(which they crap anything they want to on from green screen junk to interviews with danny's grandmother). Also, apparently at least Holly(ross's wife) does some stuff for her own channel there which I assume means Arin's wife uses it for her channels as well. That office i must be a busy ass place, especially now that Ross is working on his own animated series(it sounds like they are going for 15-30 minute episodes).

...At this point I don't even watch the actually gamegrumps show anymore, just steam train and grumpcade, which is unfortunate because it means I rarely get to see stuff with Dan anymore.

ANYWAYS, to be on topic somewhat... At least the talking over cutscenes poll seems to be going well, and if they take that info to heart at should at least make the double blind play throughs a bit less grating at times.

Just saw the strawpoll. I like the fact that they're taking some of the more non-shitty complaints seriously and polling to see what people prefer. I like both kind of LPs (total blind and none blind) so I can't really vote there. Though I'd also agree that if both of them are blind, they should be paying attention during cutscenes/dialogue in a game like Soma, unless the game is shit like Ride to Hell where the commentary over the cutscenes helps.

I just hope they don't stop doing blind LPs because some of the recent ones haven't been the greatest. LPs like Prison Break are a treasure. I would agree with others here that if they're going blind, doing a little research to see what kind of game it is and if they think they can do it while making for interesting commentary.

Pretty good. I haven't been following recently, but the Arin/Danny early stuff was fantastic. Their Civ 5 video is still one of my favorites on the internet.

Oh for sure. The 'you can't do better' is the last bastion of the dumb argument. I think this place being full of cool peeps coloured my perceptions about the fanbase overall.

Welcome to pretty much every fanbase everywhere lol

Disgraced

I just hope they don't stop doing blind LPs because some of the recent ones haven't been the greatest. LPs like Prison Break are a treasure. I would agree with others here that if they're going blind, doing a little research to see what kind of game it is and if they think they can do it while making for interesting commentary.
Prison Break wasn't exactly blind, remember they had played an hour or so for a TBFP episode. So like you say, they knew what kind of game it was and why they could provide good commentary.

Prison Break wasn't exactly blind, remember they had played an hour or so for a TBFP episode. So like you say, they knew what kind of game it was and why they could provide good commentary.

I mean its not 100% blind but you know what I mean :p

But yeah, I totally understand why they capitalize on playing some of the new games immediately, but I think looking a bit ahead and seeing if people are gonna enjoy this is important. Of course you're not always gonna strike gold and some might be a dud for multiple reasons. Like they even said, they upload a lot of content and not all of it is gonna be amazing.

Disgraced

The Despair Age

Every night... I still watch the mediocre videos that are uploaded... The time I've lost, even at 2x speed... They're all still there... You watch them too, don't you?

Anung

Un Rama
The Despair Age

Every night... I watch the mediocre videos still uploaded... The time I've lost, even at 2x speed... They're all still there... You watch them too, don't you?

"I posted in a small thread. I was still a junior when we were raided by bad LP's. Talking over cut scenes. blind LP's, I was made to watch them struggle. With each new video the Zaibatsu changed. Along with the LP's they made me watch. With each upload, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw Waifu's and Simpsons Quotes. LP's - Can - Suck."

EDIT: I highly recommend reading the reddit on this poll stuff. Some really interesting insights into the problems the Zaibatsu have with LP feedback and stuff.

Disgraced

"I posted in a small thread. I was still a junior when we were raided by bad LP's. Talking over cut scenes. blind LP's, I was made to watch them struggle. With each new video the Zaibatsu changed. Along with the LP's they made me watch. With each upload, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw Waifu's and Simpsons Quotes. LP's - Can - Suck."
Uta6Uz3.gif
EDIT: I highly recommend reading the reddit on this poll stuff. Some really interesting insights into the problems the Zaibatsu have with LP feedback and stuff.
Yeah, it's a good thread. I'm CaseyFH.

A lot of people seem to think that poll is going to be what future LP's are going to be based on the results. It's just there to gauge what people like to see, and overall the opinions seem to be pretty split down the middle.

Anung

Un Rama
A lot of people seem to think that poll is going to be what future LP's are going to be based on the results. It's just there to gauge what people like to see, and overall the opinions seem to be pretty split down the middle.

Yeah. As far as I'm concerned its the talking one that actually matters. We are going to get Blinds, One blinds and Knowledgeable regardless. As long as they are smart with what they choose they'll be fine. But knowing that they'll try and follow what a game is saying to them will make for smoother LP's which is swell :D

Rockk

Meh, I voted for them to shut up during all cutscenes and only play games their familiar with. Metal Gear, Life is Strange, Soma, so many recent LPs where they just lost and have no idea why things are happening the way they are.

More stuff like Mirrors Edge is what I want.

aly

Meh, I voted for them to shut up during all cutscenes and only play games their familiar with. Metal Gear, Life is Strange, Soma, so many recent LPs where they just lost and have no idea why things are happening the way they are.

More stuff like Mirrors Edge is what I want.

That's surprising. I feel like LiS is one that did'nt have too many problems, unless you consider over the top Warren hate to be bad to the lp.

That's surprising. I feel like LiS is one that did'nt have too many problems, unless you consider over the top Warren hate to be bad to the lp.
Yeah, Life is Strange was pretty good about that.

And like I said a few pages ago, environmental puzzle solving doesn't seem like a strength of Matt or Pat's, so that's not really fair either (especially when the game has now started to put stuff behind non-descript panels in a dark ass game).

Ilvocare

I'm sorry. I listened to it because my ego though and I'm surprised that I'm not ashamed of myself. It turned out alright.

Listening to something you helped make isn't being egotistical man. Come on now.

I'm gonna DL this and continue listening to how I fuck up English in ways I can't hear while I'm actually talking.

Not to mention better quest design in general (though not always QA'd) and much more elaborate roleplaying mechanics.

Quest design was my main gripe about the game i felt so restricted because i didn't do exactly what the game wanted me to do to start a quest. the game was very restrictive and just felt like fallout 3.5 it has its ups but its down is a drag on me. fallout 3 might have a lot of problems but it was free with what i could do and didn't put road blocks in front of me.

Top Bottom