• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

convo

Can someone explain to me why the face-cam is necessary in a let's watch. I found the movie unwatchable because of the feed and it always gets in the way on their let's watches of game reveal shows

If the thing they watch is actually worth looking at on its own, then i'd just watch it on it's own. Do any of the movies they watched warrant enough quality where i would care enough to see the whole screen?No, but if they chose to watch Redline or Akira in the future then i will complain.
Fatal Fury the motion picture is too low quality for me to care.
Also i'm not interested in watching the whole screen of the nintendo direct or conferences because i had watched them before and those let's watches come out after them anyway. It's their reactions that matter at that point.

Okingjrr

Can someone explain to me why the face-cam is necessary in a let's watch. I found the movie unwatchable because of the feed and it always gets in the way on their let's watches of game reveal shows

Well, in a let's watch like the E3 ones where they have to listen to the announcements and react, it hits harder because we not only get to hear their reactions but see them as well. Watching them jerking in every direction with huge shit eating grins is the best.
I always watch the actual stream/press conference before hand, so it doesn't annoy me.

In a movie let's watch, I take it that they've already seen the movie multiple times and can just talk over it no problem. Heck, it adds to the experience, like a regular LP.
But, like most LPs, I feel that experiencing the content on your own first and then watching the LP is the perfect way to get the most out of it, IF you care about said content.

Can you explain to me what the point is of a Let's Watch without the face cam? People watch Let's Watches so they can see how those people react, facial expressions are a part of that, I'm not sure what the mystery is. If you're not interested in their reactions just watch the thing they're watching.

The point of Let's watch "game conference thing" isn't so you can see the conference, they assume(rightfully) that you've done that on your own time.

I came in to randomly complain how my enjoyment of the MGSV LP was seeing their hype deflate, but they seem to like the ending. Now my hype is deflated. But then I see:

I only got Matt and , Woolie's Mom (He told me he gave it to her after) to try it.
they didn't like it cause they are cowards and don't know how to enjoy the King of Fruits.

Woohoo King of Fruits! Durian cakes 4life! Any Mangosteens? Rambutans?

And THEN:

Two new LPs on the site. Second one was leaked a while ago and it's
Final Fantasy X
. Not sure how the 2nd one is gonna work unless they do some heavy editing.

Wha? I thought they hated it, but I did notice Pat kept mentioning the game randomly at times. I love it, and am just about to complete my own LP of it. My hype boner is massive now.

I think FFX is massively underrated. Sometimes, I think of it as my favorite jrpg ever. And initially I skipped playing it because of mixed reviews.

George-Costanza-Squint-and-Shock.gif

We are in the ULTIMATE AGE
I'm really happy with this pairing.

MrHoot

Bloodborne DLC

Managed to get ALMOST past ludwig. Holy shit his second form. I think this is the kind of shit Woolie and ESPECIALLY pat would lose their shit to as it's such a nice little twist

really hoping we'd see a continued playthrough for the channel of the DLC

Watching the Devil's Third LP was a great cap to a good Thanksgiving. I bought a $100 dollar phone for $20 (plus tax) and everybody loved the cinnamon/apple cake I baked.

Anung

Un Rama
Watching the Devil's Third LP was a great cap to a good Thanksgiving. I bought a $100 dollar phone for $20 (plus tax) and everybody loved the cinnamon/apple cake I baked.

I grabbed Tales of Zestiria and Shovel Knight on PS4 for a decent price. I'm trying to restrain myself and not by FF14 D: its so cheap though.

I will never tire of the oatmeal face jokes. Only thing I wish was in here were some "perfect bald man" references but I assume neither Matt or Liam have seen any of Itagaki's facebook posts in the last year (or the Gaf OT for that matter).

Already so far this is the best playthrough I've seen for the game after watching quite a few videos of the campaign on Nico Nico back in August. Liam's gonna be throwing those axes like a motherfucker, Matt should be so proud.

Also Itagaki's least favorite games are Tekken 1-5, not Tekken 5 times in a row. At this point though there's probably enough games in that series that it could be expanded to 10.

Bloodborne DLC

Managed to get ALMOST past ludwig. Holy shit his second form. I think this is the kind of shit Woolie and ESPECIALLY pat would lose their shit to as it's such a nice little twist

really hoping we'd see a continued playthrough for the channel of the DLC

Even if we don't I'm sure we'll hear about it on the podcast. I know that at least Pat is already playing it.

Disgraced

Devil's Third is alright. Isn't really playing to Matt & more so Liam's strengths. Liam's humor is dry and the game is rollicking and colorful, and it isn't meshing. They're going on too many tangents when there's all this insane shit happening on screen they could be questioning; the commentary and the game feels disparate. I think once we get farther things'll heat up; I sense a payoff. But the start's not nearly as strong as it could be. There was a lot of hilarious material to riff on they did nothing with (and the oatmeal-face "jokes" are just fucking mean, frankly). Pat or Woolie along instead of Liam would be good for this one.

I finally caught up to Soma, which I actually think he'd be a much better fit for, actually. Using White Day and his Outlast stream as a proof of concept there.

In general I think Liam's commentary is best when he's playing something stressful or challenging, because then he's forced to focus on the game—which works as such because he's easily the best player of the crew.

And gosh, are the guys embarrassing themselves whenever they talk shit about Peace Walker. "Worst/shit Metal Gear from PW," Matt?

ZEKE kicks ass. Not only is the premise of building and customizing your own
final boss awesome, the design is slick, the fight is fun and the theme is fucking stupid and stupid good.

RFKy2UY.jpg

Call me out on stream when you actually play the game and get a good opinion, fuckers.

—internet guy

Edzi

Devil's Third is alright. Isn't really playing to Matt & more so Liam's strengths. Liam's humor is dry and the game is rollicking and colorful, and it isn't meshing. They're going on too many tangents when there's all this insane shit happening on screen they could be questioning; the commentary and the game feels disparate. I think once we get farther things'll heat up; I sense a payoff. But the start's not nearly as strong as it could be. There was a lot of hilarious material to riff on they did nothing with (and the oatmeal-face "jokes" are just fucking mean, frankly). Pat or Woolie along instead of Liam would be good for this one.

I finally caught up to Soma, which I actually think he'd be a much better for, actually. Using White Day and his Outlast stream as a proof of concept there.

In general I think Liam's commentary is best when he's playing something stressful or challenging, because then he's forced to focus on the game—which works as such because he's easily the best player of the crew.

And gosh, are the guys embarrassing themselves whenever they talk shit about Peace Walker. "Worst/shit Metal Gear from PW," Matt?

ZEKE kicks ass. Not only is the premise of building and customizing your own
final boss awesome, the design is slick, the fight is fun and the theme is fucking stupid and stupid good.

RFKy2UY.jpg

Call me out on stream when you actually play the game and get a good opinion, fuckers.

—internet guy

PW is absolutely the worst metal gear, mostly in terms of story (which is the thing Matt seems to hate the most about it, namely what it does to The Boss).

Disgraced

PW is absolutely the worst metal gear, mostly in terms of story (which is the thing Matt seems to hate the most about it, namely what it does to The Boss).
Sure, whatever. Yes, it ruins the Boss
(somehow?).
At least it doesn't have the fucking Serious Hunter.

Disgraced

Look dude, I don't even necessarily disagree it's the worst MG if I was to rank the series, but I don't really care about that. It's not exactly what I was talking about, anyway. Just poking fun at their silliness. They talk smack about it all the time without backing anything up.

Moonlight

Banned
Peace Walker involves an extended conversation about how Big Boss believes Santa exists, and that NORAD tracks him in a 'duh, of course' kind of way.

I think it's justified.

Peace Walker is easily one of the best Metal Gears, though I will admit that most of that lies within the tapes. If I had to rank them, I'd go 3 > 1 > PW > 2 and TPP (Can't decide) > 4

Skrams

So about that flux thing. It's only purpose is for dimming and changing according to how bright it is? Isn't that pretty useless if you just have a light on? Do people still really let their eyes burn in complete darkness with a monitor in front of them?

Usually people watch the game conferences beforehand and know the reveal. People watch it for their reactions to the reveal and to relive the conference hype or unhype. Let's Watches of conferences are the one thing where we all have access to the conference beforehand and can watch it then experience it through the lens of best friends later on. I'm mostly there for them because I don't need 100% of the screen dedicated to a conference I just saw less than a week ago.

The movies they've watched have not been something I've cared about enough to have full screen either. Samurai Cop and Fatal Fury are not something I need my undivided attention on. It's for dumb shits and giggles.

This rationale doesn't mean I'd accept it in regular Let's Plays suddenly if they decided Oops! All Facecam.
Wha? I thought they hated it, but I did notice Pat kept mentioning the game randomly at times. I love it, and am just about to complete my own LP of it. My hype boner is massive now.
Nah, Matt has mentioned that he likes the game a lot in some reddit post recently. I don't think any of them have said they hate it as far as I know.

This is the setup I was hoping for since I want to see Liam actually be good at this game and see if the game has the potential to be good. I think his quick and loose style of play will compliment the game. I think they're holding it down fine on how silly and PS2/Xbox era the game feels.

The oatmeal jokes aren't really justified because verbal abuse really isn't ever, but eh, Itagaki's kind of a scumbag. I don't feel bad about it at least.

Kater

Banned
I just saw that the guys are doing Devil's Third and exploded with joy. :D

Can't wait to see them play it (didn't want to bet money on the game myself).

Village

hey you all, didn't know D3rd was a thing, going to watch that.

Any of you all get anything during the steam sale. I got double dragon neon, can't afford DMC4 special edition and it sucks. As per thanksgiving tradition I have been playing horror games, or as horror as RE gets this year. How you all doin?

Edit: I have watched the devils 3rd, what is this xbox game. What is this shadow the hedgehog game staring tattooed russian vin desel game am I watching

Syder

Wait.. Matt didn't finish MGSV? Wasn't he posting about the plot months ago?

I just got caught up on the last two podcasts todat and when they started talking about Matt leaving for the spoilercast I was confused. It's been almost 3 months since the game released, Spoilercasts come around so infrequently for the SBFC and I was really excited to hear their opinions on MGS and not hearing Matt's basically ruined it for me. It's like a false Spoilercast not hearing Matt's views on an MGS game. Fuck. SBH is great but he was just basically reiterating what he said in his videos on the subject.

I think it's a real disservice to let any ill feelings about the plot stop you from finishing MGSV, the gameplay is enough to warrant finishing all the main ops at least.

I'm glad they weren't overly negative and shitting on the game though. Kinda shocked that they were positive about the ending.

hey you all, didn't know D3rd was a thing, going to watch that.

Any of you all get anything during the steam sale. I got double dragon neon, can't afford DMC4 special edition and it sucks. As per thanksgiving tradition I have been playing horror games, or as horror as RE gets this year. How you all doin?

Edit: I have watched the devils 3rd, what is this xbox game. What is this shadow the hedgehog game staring tattooed russian vin desel game am I watching
I've gotten nothing, Fallout 4 is all I need.

So about that flux thing. It's only purpose is for dimming and changing according to how bright it is? Isn't that pretty useless if you just have a light on? Do people still really let their eyes burn in complete darkness with a monitor in front of them?

It gives the screen a more orange colour, it filters out blue light. It really helps while using a screen at night. I mean I'd recommend it. I've only been using it for a week and I noticed they mentioned it in the latest Mirror's Edge.

Skrams

It gives the screen a more orange colour, it filters out blue light. It really helps while using a screen at night. I mean I'd recommend it. I've only been using it for a week and I noticed they mentioned it in the latest Mirror's Edge.

Are you in complete darkness at night? I get that it would help with eyestrain when it's dark, but I can't imagine it has much use if I have a light on all the time. I also don't like the idea of it fucking up the colors of anything I watch or play. And yeah, that's why I mentioned it because of it fucking up Pat's stuff during the shitstorm.

Are you in complete darkness at night? I get that it would help with eyestrain when it's dark, but I can't imagine it has much use if I have a light on all the time. I also don't like the idea of it fucking up the colors of anything I watch or play. And yeah, that's why I mentioned it because of it fucking up Pat's stuff during the shitstorm.

It makes it easier to sleep at night if you don't spend the last few hours of your day staring at the sun.

You adjust it to the lighting of your room. Though Pat is insane, if you're doing something that requires colours then turn it off. Though them using flux kinda explains some of the shit that happened during the shitstorm.

PBalfredo

Peace Walker gets points in my book for being one of the few Metal Gear games where the Metal Gear itself is crucial and appropriate to the plot rather than just being a box they feel that needs to be checked despite the stakes being raised well beyond how big your robots are. Having an autonomous nuclear Metal Gear in a Cold War setting acted as a good vehicle for the conflicting philosophies of nuclear deterrence, which the game gets into with different characters debating whether it's the willingness to retaliate or the ability to back down that makes MAD work.

Laputa_94

Wait.. Matt didn't finish MGSV? Wasn't he posting about the plot months ago?

I just got caught up on the last two podcasts todat and when they started talking about Matt leaving for the spoilercast I was confused. It's been almost 3 months since the game released, Spoilercasts come around so infrequently for the SBFC and I was really excited to hear their opinions on MGS and not hearing Matt's basically ruined it for me. It's like a false Spoilercast not hearing Matt's views on an MGS game. Fuck. SBH is great but he was just basically reiterating what he said in his videos on the subject.

I think it's a real disservice to let any ill feelings about the plot stop you from finishing MGSV, the gameplay is enough to warrant finishing all the main ops at least.

I'm glad they weren't overly negative and shitting on the game though. Kinda shocked that they were positive about the ending.

Don't let Matt not finishing it bother you he seems to beat next to no games these days.

Syder

Don't let Matt not finishing it bother you he seems to beat next to no games these days.
I guess. I mean with the channel being full time and being a newly-wed, I'm sure playing games for luxury is quite limited at the moment.

...but he is the Metal Gear guy... amongst a crew of Metal Gear guys.

Laputa_94

I guess. I mean with the channel being full time and being a newly-wed, I'm sure playing games for luxury is quite limited at the moment.

...but he is the Metal Gear guy... amongst a crew of Metal Gear guys.

Yeah, I know how you feel it was kinda disheartening when he wasn't even sure that he would finish it since he talks about how much he loves Metal Gear. You would think he would be more motivated to play games like that and Bloodborne, but there's not much you can do.

Skrams

New LPs out the fucking wazoo being listed on the site recently. I checked it again for shits and giggles and now
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
is listed. Seems like another possibility for a shorter LP that might be alright depending on who plays. Matt cares about the game the most, but I hope he isn't the one playing it. My guess is that he probably is though.

Also

Best Friends Play - Mirror's Edge (Part FINAL)

Website

https://youtu.be/ZKoNN8delOY

Disgraced

This is the setup I was hoping for since I want to see Liam actually be good at this game and see if the game has the potential to be good. I think his quick and loose style of play will compliment the game. I think they're holding it down fine on how silly and PS2/Xbox era the game feels.
I feel you. I was just hoping for more bewilderment and audible excitement at how stupid the game is, and with Liam being more or less the straight man and not that good at riffing there's not going to be much of that. So long as all of the comedic potential isn't wasted. I think how on Matt is will make or break the LP in that regard.

Top Bottom