• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Xiraiya

What...
Matt and Woolie on FFX? Never would have expected that.

I saw the video pop up and my girlfriend and I were wondering who would be in it but we assumed Liam and/or Pat with someone.

I feel like putting Matt on a long RPG can only result in him not being able to pay attention for 95% of it.

Yeah, I don't know why people are saying that Liam's a gun expert. He's a surface level enthusiast at best. All of the gun series he mentioned this week were super mainstream and not at all what a gun connoisseur would be paying attention to.
I think we all know the real problem: he doesn't want to admit that only Crysis Man and Master Chief are manly enough to carry actual heavy machine guns in games.

To make matters better/worse. One has not beaten it, the other has only played 10 minutes of it.

This is going to be amazing/a shit show
They have the strategy guide too

Eh...uh...eh? This could be really rough.
I thought both guys had played it, even FFX-2, since I recall hearing them like Paine. I'm just wrapping up my own playthrough, and it's going to be just under 60 parts. And that is with parts > 1 hour. With switching characters in and out to gain XP.
Rough times especially if they dont carry the commentary. Hopefully they experiment with the gameplay at least.

In part 1 he says that
he got really close to the end, like second to last area, but gave up or sommit. He says he's gonna have a story about why he gave up at some point, something to do with a frustrating part.

Ooh, do we dare guess?
Yunalesca maybe? Esp. without cutscene skipping.

Thing is though, not being on Vessel myself, I kinda don't want to further spoil myself on their comments. Which makes visiting this thread harder.

grimmiq

If they take 5 minutes to prepare before tough boss fights they shouldn't have any problems at all
Just get all of Yuna's Aeon's overdrive ready, then summon them 1 by 1, most bosses die before you run out.

McDougles

I once asked Pat in an
impromptu /v/
AMA years ago if they would do FFVI and he said it would run too long. This was after Chrono Trigger, too. And
FFX
is a walk in the park??

Oh well, might as well settle for the second best overall
Final Fantasy
game!

Edzi

Eh, that FFX pairing makes it sound like another LP to skip for me. The only FFX playthrough I would have been interested in is one where one or both players were deeply familiar with the plot and could offer their insight/thoughts as the game went on.

Xiraiya

Eh, that FFX pairing makes it sound like another LP to skip for me. The only FFX playthrough I would have been interested in is one where one or both players were deeply familiar with the plot and could offer their insight/thoughts as the game went on.
I mean why would you ever put Matt on an RPG with the attention span he has.

I once asked Pat in an
impromptu /v/
AMA years ago if they would do FFVI and he said it would run too long. This was after Chrono Trigger, too. And
FFX
is a walk in the park??
Oh well, might as well settle for the second best overall
Final Fantasy
game!
You're wondering about this after Bloodborne and Dark Souls II LPs? The RPG rule went out the window awhile ago.

Laputa_94

The FFX LP will be something I hold off on till I get around to playing the game myself. By that time there will be a consensus on if it is worth watching or not.

daevious

Matt and Woolie is the most out-of-left-field group you could put on this game, I'd have expected either Pat or Liam on this game. Besides, there ain't no way to crime it up in Spira anyhow.

I mean why would you ever put Matt on an RPG with the attention span he has.

With Woolie no less, the one Best Friend who pays less attention than Matt.

There's no way this ain't gonna be a shit-show, but I'll at least give them credit for picking the right OST to go with. (FFX's soundtrack didn't take the transition from MIDI files to proper instruments well)

PCq5OOA.jpg

Don't believe his lies

Since Liam stalks this thread, I know he'll see this when I tell him to go
play the game already :(

This is gonna be a fun LP during the hype moments of the game since Woolie is mostly blind. I'm mainly worried about everything leading up to the Blitzball game though cause it can be kinda slow.

Drec MB luimt pa y lusbmada dnyeh fnalg

My Al Bhed is rusty.

I just bought FFX HD for PS4 and am kind of excited to replay it again with all the added bonuses of the international version (Dark Aeons/Penance). I don't think that game holds up as well as it did when I first played it, but I still like it.

I've heard the remastered music was not great though.

Evilkazz

Banned
For some reason I dont have much faith in the FFX LP. Matt/Woolie is an odd pairing for a JRPG like this, through I know it has a sort of significance to Matt. I'll try to stay open minded but I expect a lot of confusion (even with the guide) and talking over important things/missing something.

Now I expect great things from the devil's third playthrough. Cant wait to hear about it during the podcast. Even though that game does so much wrong and looks like shit, it actually seems like a totally competent video game with even some enjoyable bits/smart decisions.

Anung

Un Rama
I just bought FFX HD for PS4 and am kind of excited to replay it again with all the added bonuses of the international version (Dark Aeons/Penance). I don't think that game holds up as well as it did when I first played it, but I still like it.

I've heard the remastered music was not great though.

I loved FFX back when it was released so I was worried that it wouldn't hold up and it was all nostalgia. I replayed on PS4 a few months back and I loved it (maybe not every bit as much but a whole lot). I'm not going to write this LP off but I can see where it could go horribly wrong.

The new music is terribad. OG OST FTW!

It definitely does hold up. Played it about a year ago myself. Easily one of the best FF's in terms of story, though it has pacing issues during the first 1/4th of the game.

I loved FFX back when it was released so I was worried that it wouldn't hold up and it was all nostalgia. I replayed on PS4 a few months back and I loved it (maybe not every bit as much but a whole lot). I'm not going to write this LP off but I can see where it could go horribly wrong.

The new music is terribad. OG OST FTW!

The OG music was so fucking amazing that I'd have a hard time believing the new one was actually better anyway. I'm glad the PS4 one lets you switch.

It definitely does hold up. Played it about a year ago myself. Easily one of the best FF's in terms of story, though it has pacing issues during the first 1/4th of the game.

Yup. I also don't care for half of the characters either, but I enjoy it more than most combat systems and stories in that franchise. I'm excited to see how good the remaster looks and if it remote plays well.

Anung

Un Rama
The OG music was so fucking amazing that I'd have a hard time believing the new one was actually better anyway. I'm glad the PS4 one lets you switch.

Seymour's battle theme is probably my favourite piece of Final Fantasy music ever. It's just so damn good.

Yup. I also don't care for half of the characters either, but I enjoy it more than most combat systems and stories in that franchise. I'm excited to see how good the remaster looks and if it remote plays well.

I can't really speak on the remote play, but I played it on my Vita and it was fantastic.

I'm all for a long rpg lets play, seeing as I first really started watching the channel with Chrono Trigger(before that i'd just seen stuff like 2 best sisters play), but man, do I hate FFX, so I kinda hope Woolie just ends up shitting on it. Preferably slightly less then the danganronpas(there are barely any children though from what I recall so that shouldn't be that bad).

I think with long LPs, the guys should bring in whoever isn't part of the main 2 on occasion. I'd have felt like I'd enjoy the MGS V and Bloodborne LPs more if someone else had popped in for a session or two and gave their insight without spoiling things.

Like someone could've come on the MGS V LP and told Liam to try different gadgets (barely any decoy usage) or that he could actually customize his sniper rifles. Or correct Pats numerous plot mistakes. A new perspective can bring something extra over the main 2 LPing the game.

Short LPs don't need it, but long LPs can drag.

My other worry with
FFX
is Woolie is a slow gamer, which is fine, but makes for tedious watching at times. He was slow in an action game, imagine how bad it could get if he's slow in a turn-based game, taking his time to consider strategies and such. It'll also stumble if Woolie ends up not enjoying the game.

Squishy3

I think with long LPs, the guys should bring in whoever isn't part of the main 2 on occasion. I'd have felt like I'd enjoy the MGS V and Bloodborne LPs more if someone else had popped in for a session or two and gave their insight without spoiling things.

Like someone could've come on the MGS V LP and told Liam to try different gadgets (barely any decoy usage) or that he could actually customize his sniper rifles. Or correct Pats numerous plot mistakes. A new perspective can bring something extra over the main 2 LPing the game.

Short LPs don't need it, but long LPs can drag.

My other worry with
FFX
is Woolie is a slow gamer, which is fine, but makes for tedious watching at times. He was slow in an action game, imagine how bad it could get if he's slow in a turn-based game, taking his time to consider strategies and such. It'll also stumble if Woolie ends up not enjoying the game.
Matt's on controls, not Woolie.

Skrams

Christ man, they give you guys a good game with the one knowledgable/one blind and you still bitch.

Give me a break.

I'd be apprehensive of it all the same if it was Persona 4 or any other notable RPG with anyone backseating while Matt played. Another long game right after Danganronpa and MGS5 gives me cause to worry that the LP might be dead and boring quick. This game wasn't even chosen in response to one knowledgeable and one blind poll stuff. The LP intro leaked a while ago, so they already had their mind set on it.

MrHoot

I thought the first episode on vessel of FFX to be very enjoyable. And yeah, it's a one blind/one knows (and strategy guide to help if needed). As long as they edit out stuff if they're stuck for a very long time, I think it'll be fine. I personally also enjoy that for once it's not Pat on a JRPG, Kind of a change of dynamic

Give me a break.

I'd be apprehensive of it all the same if it was Persona 4 or any other notable RPG with anyone backseating while Matt played. Another long game right after Danganronpa and MGS5 gives me cause to worry that the LP might be dead and boring quick. This game wasn't even chosen in response to one knowledgeable and one blind poll stuff. The LP intro leaked a while ago, so they already had their mind set on it.

IMO FFX is a great game
for one theres no kids that will activate Woolies murder boner
and unless they fight the Superbosses(and i kinda want that just to see a grown man suffer) theyll be fine

sjay1994

well, since we throwing spoiler tags out the window... I am looking forward to the FFX lp, a bit more with the duo we have.

Mainly because I played FFX for the very first time last year and it was the first FF game I had ever played, and I was baffled considering people told me its one of the best FF's, and I thought the story and characters were fucking stupid. Battle system was fun, but I thought Spira, and everything else about the world was dumb.

So Matt telling me he enjoys it in a "so dumb its good" way makes sense now in hindsight opposed to people telling me the story and characters are actually good. Curious to see woolies feelings on it since he is going in raw like I did.

Also, blitzball is fucking bullshit until you get based Wedge and the Jecht Shot

Then it becomes a joke.

Edzi

well, since we throwing spoiler tags out the window... I am looking forward to the FFX lp, a bit more with the duo we have.

Mainly because I played FFX for the very first time last year and it was the first FF game I had ever played, and I was baffled considering people told me its one of the best FF's, and I thought the story and characters were fucking stupid. Battle system was fun, but I thought Spira, and everything else about the world was dumb.

So Matt telling me he enjoys it in a "so dumb its good" way makes sense now in hindsight opposed to people telling me the story and characters are actually good. Curious to see woolies feelings on it since he is going in raw like I did.

Also, blitzball is fucking bullshit until you get based Wedge and the Jecht Shot

Then it becomes a joke.

So much is wrong here, it hurts.

Top Bottom