• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Anung

Un Rama
I'm more baffled by
Simon's reaction to not being transferred to the ARK, but copied on. I mean no shit, dumbass, you've already gone through this, I think even Catherine calls him out on his idiocy.

It seems like his willful ignorance was one of the things keeping him sane. Still an idiot though. Simon 3 was the ultimate winner since with his state of mind he probably doesn't even dwell on his old copy being trapped in horrorworld.

Aw, you guys doing the real talk while I'm gone, dang.

I want to throw out that I only played FFX a couple years ago for the first time, and it was a total knockout for me. I stand in slight confusion at the hate. Then again, maybe jrpgs basically dieing right after it's release retro-actively lowered the bar for me.

And, I want to say again, I do really love Bunnyhop and the crew's breakdown of the MGSV plot. Despite mostly loving MGSV, the ending I didn't. But the dissection turned me around on it. When I really think of what it was trying to accomplish, instead of what I wanted it to be, I realize it's actually pretty awesome.
The best friends really should do more metal gear stuff. They are knowledgable and passionate about it, they should really roll with that.
Though MGSV was still a bad idea for an lp

joe2187

Banned
Yeah, that was really bad, but that's probably because Simon's a moron who's in denial about how the tech works.

Catherine
was content to be a box, she didnt care what happened as long as the ark was lunched, she used simon and manipulated him to her ends. She never implicitly lied to him about the process, but she rather misdirected or refused to respond to him during certain moments of questioning. She also explained that older scans were incomplete and some of the original elements got lost in translation. It's possible that also affected his thought processes.

4030ee1a56.png

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/671534871228129280

I really hope the DOAX3 talk on the podcast is brief because man at this point it's just tiring
So long as there's a mention of "Galaposian Lolita Complexed Chicken" that's all I need.

Oh man, the true Devils Third starts at part 4.
Matt warned in the SA thread about there being parts literally dedicated to just beating a single boss. Thankfully this is one of the tamer ones, mainly because the fight in question actually looked pretty competent.

Some of the later bosses I've seen look especially bad in comparison to that.

Archgan

Not
Simon 3
, that random dude who went down to the launch facility with the other five
and apparently never left, but never died?
The random dude was
actually Simon. At that time, Simon was in that guy's body so it showed up on the computer as that guy coming in.

Damnit! Will the internet stop telling mediocre video game developers about badass actors? First Kevin Spacey in COD, now frickin Idris Elba is the spokesperson for Rainbow Six. Smh.

Pat's hate for Front Mission 4 makes me sad. I kinda want to tell woolie about it, but I'm to much of a coward. The entire FM series is good stuff and I'd say even FM1 holds up pretty good(FM2 I hear has some loading issue, but i think they've been fix in some version and I think somoene has translated it? That said its the one FM mainline game I haven't play).

PBalfredo

I'm more baffled by
Simon's reaction to not being transferred to the ARK, but copied on. I mean no shit, dumbass, you've already gone through this, I think even Catherine calls him out on his idiocy.

I'm glad Catherine wastes no time calling Simon out on being willfully ignorant.I really like that the story doesn't beat around the bush and directly engages with things as they naturally come up. They don't really hold back on addressing questions as they come for dramatic purpose. This is evident by how often during the LP that something would happen, Pat would wonder out loud about what it means, then the next line from Simon or Catherine would address it to some degree.

All I really know about FFX aside from the obvious stuff is the Sphere Grid and how Digital Devil Saga basically took that concept and made it way better.

Fuck the sphere grid. The optional expert grid in the remaster is great, but it's all a wash when going for that platinum trophy and you need to grind for dozens of Luck Spheres and possibly hundreds of Fortune Spheres.

Ilvocare

Fuck the sphere grid. The optional expert grid in the remaster is great, but it's all a wash when going for that platinum trophy and you need to grind for dozens of Luck Spheres and possibly hundreds of Fortune Spheres.

Expert Grid was an option in the original game, though?

They talked about it three podcast ago. Idk when exactly.
Ah yes, I forgot the valuable resource of Best Friends wiki:
Wat happen? - A joke typically used by Woolie in reference to something bad or stupid happening for no reason or explanation. Since its original saying, many fans have debated its origins. Eventually the quote was tracked down to a 1940's French Bugs Bunny cartoon. However, Woolie himself revealed on episode 118 of the friendcast that he simply made it up one day and everybody started using it.

The random dude was
actually Simon. At that time, Simon was in that guy's body so it showed up on the computer as that guy coming in.
You sure? I thought the abyss suit Simon was riding in had Catherine's lady "friend" in it? IIRC, she had a pretty strong reaction to that discovery.

Also, it be weird for the other guys to drag a corpse with them, since they didn't bother
to do anything with Catherine's body.

aly

You sure? I thought the abyss suit Simon was riding in had Catherine's lady "friend" in it? IIRC, she had a pretty strong reaction to that discovery.

Also, it be weird for the other guys to drag a corpse with them, since they didn't bother
to do anything with Catherine's body.

Yes.
Remember Simon changed bodies. Herbie, another woman, is the second body and the one that registered.

I liked the ending of SOMA,
I especially liked the fact that they give you no closure on what happens with Simon 3 since that's the whole point of what happened to him, he's just stuck now, no happy ending.

While he was being an idiot at the end, I understand his thought process, he never really thought about what would happen if he got on the ARK, he thought his conscious would get moved over instead of a copypaste deal. The twist is that there is no twist, everything happens as expected and Simon is baffled.

One loose end though,
What happens to the WAU? He apparently killed it but nothing of relevance happens after that fact. Are there multiple endings?

Skrams

I'd imagine Pat, Woolie, and Matt I guess might be doing Bloodborne. Or just Pat and Matt or Woolie. Pat made it sound like he leveled up a character for NG from the reddit posts, so he's probably there by default.

I liked the ending of SOMA,
I especially liked the fact that they give you no closure on what happens with Simon 3 since that's the whole point of what happened to him, he's just stuck now, no happy ending.

While he was being an idiot at the end, I understand his thought process, he never really thought about what would happen if he got on the ARK, he thought his conscious would get moved over instead of a copypaste deal. The twist is that there is no twist, everything happens as expected and Simon is baffled.

One loose end though,
What happens to the WAU? He apparently killed it but nothing of relevance happens after that fact. Are there multiple endings?

More Soma Spoilers-
There doesn't seem to be multiple endings from my googling. The idea I guess is that it's just a moral decision on whether you want to leave WAU alive. The WAU brought Simon back so it was starting to understand what humanity was instead of just hooking tubes up into dead people. If you gave it more time then it's very possible it would of brought humanity back I guess?

so guys what side are you on for Civil War
i love Tony but hes an asshole so im on Team Captain America
seeing Tony get his shit pushed in in that trailer felt so good

Ilvocare

Only if you didn't play the North American or Japanese versions. In fact, the PS2 NA/JPN versions have a unique sphere grid not seen in any other release

What? I live in the US and bought the game new when it first came out and it had the Original and Expert Sphere Grid options, and the Expert Sphere Grid just makes everyone start at the same location in the grid. Does the Expert Grid you're talking about actually change the layout of the Grid???

explodet

When it happened in the comics I was Team "You're All Fucked When The Hulk Gets Back".

If that's not a thing this time around I need time to process this.

I seem to e having trouble with the podcast. I was pretty sure I'd downloaded it on my old phone that I use as an mp3 player, but apparently not it didn't download, and now I can't seem to access the page for 120. I just get a white screen.

Anung

Un Rama
SOMA (Final) - Good ending to a good LP. This game is so LP-able from the horror elements to the thematic ones that makes for some great discussion. It could have been a great LP but some parts are so unbelievably rough that it verged on unwatchable. If one good thing did come from the LP its that it forced them to seek feedback on how to avoid this kind of thing in the future.

I'm so glad I didn't listen to last weeks podcast. Got a 10 hour flight to New York tonight so I need as much podcast time killing as possible :D Two long ass podcasts should help make it less unbearable. Downside is I'm going to probably miss the Capcom Cup D:

kewlmyc

Captain's side, even though Iron Man's team is so much more badass. They have Vision, Black Panther, War Machine, and freaking Spiderman.

Skrams

Tetris is an indie game by definition since it was just a side project of a guy. I stand by this. I dunno why its so ridiculous.

The guy was talking about recent indie games in the vain of Cave Story or Braid. He wasn't talking about NES or Atari 2600 games where you could sometimes point at literally one individual and say he made that game. You're telling me the best kind of sandwich is a pizza and I'm going to just shake my head.

If we're playing that game then Pong is the most monumental indie game since it was made by one guy and a relatively small company at the time.

sjay1994

Best Friends Play Game of Thrones (Part 21)

Site

YT

This LP is fucking gold, I don't know why it has lower views.

The game is super boring, but Matt and Woolie's commentary is on point.

I dunno shit about GoT but FILTHY TUTLE! and them encorporating BB lore into scenes just makes me have numerous chuckles.

Disgraced

The game is super boring, but Matt and Woolie's commentary is on point.
Mhm. They're on.

I don't really think the game's boring, just that the story's weak in too many places; it's just as active as the standard Telltale affair. Almost every scene there's a fresh set piece and high stakes conflict at hand, it's just not written too well. Granted, I'm biased being into Thrones.

I suspect the viewer count is due to 1. the audience isn't bleeding Thrones fans 2. the audience is sour on Telltale and 3. sour on TBF LPs of TT games.

Top Bottom