• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

sjay1994

Give me a break.

I'd be apprehensive of it all the same if it was Persona 4 or any other notable RPG with anyone backseating while Matt played. Another long game right after Danganronpa and MGS5 gives me cause to worry that the LP might be dead and boring quick. This game wasn't even chosen in response to one knowledgeable and one blind poll stuff. The LP intro leaked a while ago, so they already had their mind set on it.

Well, there is a purpose to these long LP's as Matt and Liam said on a podcast. They love when a souls game comes out, since Pat and Woolie will be on it, and there is a good amount of content to it, which means they don't need to go scraping around for new LP material that expires relatively quickly.

Examples being mirrors edge, and since its out now Afro Samurai 2(That game feels like it could end at any moment)

Also a difference here is at least one of them has some semblance of experience with the game, and they do have the guide in case things get bad. Where as with MGSV and DR, both of them went in super blind.

I understand the apprehension considering the recent losing streak, but this does seem like they are more prepared than the other long LP's they did in the past.

Edzi

So Matt telling me he enjoys it in a "so dumb its good"

Huh, he actually said that? And he's the one doing the LP? If they have to do a FF LP, why can't it be one where there is genuine enthusiasm and love for the game so that there could be sincere story/lore insights?

sjay1994

Huh, he actually said that? And he's the one doing the LP? If they have to do a FF LP, why can't it be one where there is genuine enthusiasm and love for the game so that there could be sincere story/lore insights?

Because thats no fun, and they already put a genuine "we love this game" lp with Mirrors Edge.

He views it in a Deadly Premonition way, where all the characters asides from Auron have no real idea of what they are doing, and views Tidus like a "Groose" character.

He's dumb, but he would like to see him again over say a character like Lightning.

So all in all; he likes the game, he just thinks its dumb.

Woolie only knows 3 things going in

1) To Zanarkand
2) Sphere Grids
3) Jecht is the coolest

Skrams

Well, there is a purpose to these long LP's as Matt and Liam said on a podcast. They love when a souls game comes out, since Pat and Woolie will be on it, and there is a good amount of content to it, which means they don't need to go scraping around for new LP material that expires relatively quickly.

Examples being mirrors edge, and since its out now Afro Samurai 2(That game feels like it could end at any moment)

Also a difference here is at least one of them has some semblance of experience with the game, and they do have the guide in case things get bad. Where as with MGSV and DR, both of them went in super blind.

I understand the apprehension considering the recent losing streak, but this does seem like they are more prepared than the other long LP's they did in the past.
I understand how it benefits them since it's a long chunk of time where they don't need to constantly think up new games to play. I just think the long LPs need to be worth it super hard if they're going to be taking up 30-40+ parts and lasting 3+ months. I hope this is a well thought out decision beyond Woolie being slightly interested in FFX and Matt saying he loves FFX. I don't think having a physical guide will amount up to much as they're not above using them for other playthroughs when needed, but eh, we'll see.

I've only ever seen him say he loves it. Never heard of him thinking it was so bad, but so good. I guess he mentions it in the first episode or something.

sjay1994

I understand how it benefits them since it's a long chunk of time where they don't need to constantly think up new games to play. I just think the long LPs need to be worth it super hard if they're going to be taking up 30-40+ parts and lasting 3+ months. I hope this is a well thought out decision beyond Woolie being slightly interested in FFX and Matt saying he loves FFX. I don't think having a physical guide will amount up to much as they're not above using them for other playthroughs when needed, but eh, we'll see.

Well, yeah thats understandable. I guess we just need to wait and see, but the first part was pretty good.

Then again, a lot of long LP's generally start strong.

Skrams

Do later Bloodborne patches fix the frame rate? I just got the game on 1.00 and...oof

They don't do much for the framerate as far as I remember. They help the loading times, but framerate can still get bleh at times. I don't remember it being too terribly overall except for parts where it just hitches like Old Yarnham.

Well, yeah thats understandable. I guess we just need to wait and see, but the first part was pretty good.

Then again, a lot of long LP's generally start strong.

A lot of LPs are wait and sees for me. I think most LPs also start off generally positive since they're full of energy and it's the first recording session. That energy just slowly dies over time if the game can't keep them in high spirits though.

All I really know about FFX aside from the obvious stuff is the Sphere Grid and how Digital Devil Saga basically took that concept and made it way better.

Good to know I'm not the only one to notice this. Man DDS2's hex grid was fantastic, wish we got more leveling systems like that instead of shit like ff13's.

Also, knowing Matt thinks the story is 'so bad its good' makes me feel better about the lp, even if i don't necessarily agree with the 'its good' part.

MrHoot

The only thing that might make or break the BB DLC lp for me is who's gonna play.

If it's Pat, great. If woolie is on the controls...euuugh. Rewatching some old bloodborne LP and I forgot just how damn tedious he makes the entire beginning of that playthrough by constantly playing it beyond safe

Anung

Un Rama
Good to know I'm not the only one to notice this. Man DDS2's hex grid was fantastic, wish we got more leveling systems like that instead of shit like ff13's.

Also, knowing Matt thinks the story is 'so bad its good' makes me feel better about the lp, even if i don't necessarily agree with the 'its good' part.

I don't agree with the 'its bad' part. The voice work is all over the place but the story and a lot of the emotional bits get it right.

Dat Sudeki Da Ne scene ;_;

Edzi

The only thing that might make or break the BB DLC lp for me is who's gonna play.

If it's Pat, great. If woolie is on the controls...euuugh. Rewatching some old bloodborne LP and I forgot just how damn tedious he makes the entire beginning of that playthrough by constantly playing it beyond safe

Their reddit posts make it sound like it will involve Matt somehow. I'm thinking they might do something similar to their initial Dark Souls 2 playthrough.

I don't agree with the 'its bad' part. The voice work is all over the place but the story and a lot of the emotional bits get it right.

Dat Sudeki Da Ne scene ;_;

Finally, someone who agrees that the story is good.

*fist bump*

Anung

Un Rama

I get the feeling Matt will be there in some capacity. He's been going on about it for a while. Which obviously could go either way. Pat on controls is a must. I can't handle slowborne 2.0.

I get he's interested in BB because Lovecraft but its weird because the ambient storytelling doesn't gel with his inability to pay attention to anything.

Skrams

I get the feeling Matt will be there in some capacity. He's been going on about it for a while. Which obviously could go either way. Pat on controls is a must. I can't handle slowborne 2.0.

I get he's interested in BB because Lovecraft but its weird because the ambient storytelling doesn't gel with his inability to pay attention to anything.

I don't think he's there for the storytelling. He's there for the art where they look at a new thing every 30 seconds and say, "This could be a heavy metal album cover."

His favorite thing will be seeing the boss designs probably and the story being poorly told to him by Pat.

At least this is all me making baseless assumptions.

Edzi

I think he just really likes the character/level designs.

Jonami90

Neo Member
Do later Bloodborne patches fix the frame rate? I just got the game on 1.00 and...oof

It''s actually the frame pacing that's the problem. The actual frame rate is fairly consistent, but it's producing duplicates of the same frame which causes the judder. There's more on the subject here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157250284

Also, hooo boy, that Revenge of Kuma. I can definitely see how they'd want to pull this thing from the stores.

Mirror's Edge was a good LP, it really goes to show how much more enjoyable a tight LP of a familiar game can be.

I'm interested to see what will become of the FFX LP, though Matt and Woolie on a game like this does not sound all that promising.

aly

Smh @ people not understanding the greatness of FFX. It's actually not all that dumb.

Also, glad to see them doing the old hunters. Can't wait to see Pat's ridiculously long health bar.

Skrams

Thank you redditman LG696 because wow

1ajM6qc.jpg

Edzi

Smh @ people not understanding the greatness of FFX. It's actually not all that dumb.

I'm actually kinda confused as to why so many people seem to think it's dumb. I've always thought it was really cool as far as fantasy stories go. The world, it's history, Yuna's mission, etc... it's all really interesting to think about.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm actually kinda confused as to why so many people seem to think it's dumb. I've always thought it was really cool as far as fantasy stories go. The world, it's history, Yuna's mission, etc... it's all really interesting to think about.

People seem to think bad voice direction is synonymous with a bad story.

aly

I doubt Matt's playing it. But it would be really cool to have him there commentating. He seems to really like a lot of stuff about it.

I thought the same. But I also like X-2, so what do I know.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't think it's a bad thing. He seems to be really into Bloodborne.

If he's going to be passionate Matt (the best Matt) who brings interesting things to say and not dumb-meme repeatman then it'll be nice to have him there. But having him on the pad could be a big mistake.

Hey, the final episode of Soma was pretty great, even though
it totally didn't explain what happened that one dude left down there
and
we barely got a decent look at Catherine's non-dead human form.

Edzi

So I'm finally listening through the MGSV spoilercast, and while I don't agree with a lot of their interpretations, their discussions have made me fully realize that I may not dislike the MGSV twist as much as I initially thought I did. Instead, what I actually hate is the PW story and how it taints everything that came before and after it. Basically any time Woolie or someone else was tying something in V to PW, I found myself getting annoyed because that's the game that ruined Big Boss/The Boss's characters and the overall plot. It feels like tying V back to PW legitimizes what that game did to them, which is ultimately what I found most annoying.

I love the ending of MGS3, because like they said on the podcast, it leaves you with all the pieces to the Big Boss puzzle. He is disillusioned with the world/government and so goes down a dark path BECAUSE of his reverence for The Boss and what happened to her. But then PW undermines all of that, by completely erasing that motivation and instead reintroducing (a fake) The Boss and having Big Boss completely regress as a character only to come to the complete opposite conclusion at the end of the game, when he this time REJECTS The Boss and decides he will now go on his dark path because for some reason he thinks The Boss betrayed him.

The fact that this new interpretation paints how you view MGSV is probably what most affected my perception of V's twist for me. I actually kind of like the idea of an older and post MGS3 BB being an asshole and unknowingly becoming what he hates by doing to Venom what the government did to his mentor (Though at the same time, I don't think what he did with Venom is exactly the same as what happened to The Boss). But when you start looking at this through PW's retelling of Big Boss's motivations, it just becomes way less satisfying. Now he's acting like a dick because he doesn't care about The Boss anymore and what was done to her, and he may actually be reenacting The Boss's manipulation somewhat intentionally. Without PW, I think the MGSV twist is alright (though the game and it's story still have a ton of other problems), I just wish we got more of them dissecting how much I think PW detrimentally affected the overall plot instead of them trying to tie PW and V together.

Oh, and the Huey discussion was pretty interesting and it really made me think about him a bit differently, so that's cool.

Also, I really dislike Woolie's hard on over the concept of "deconstructing the legend of BB", though I don't think the game does a good job of doing that anyway.

I thought the same. But I also like X-2, so what do I know.

Ehhh, I can like X-2 as a game, but I can't forgive it for retroactively trying to ruin the characters/plot of X. Turning Yuna into a pop star with short shorts was a bit much, and then completely regressing her character and making her obsessed with getting T
idus
back also undermined the ending of X.

aly

Ehhh, I can like X-2 as a game, but I can't forgive it for retroactively trying to ruin the characters/plot of X. Turning Yuna into a pop star with short shorts was a bit much, and then completely regressing her character and making her obsessed with getting T
idus
back also undermined the ending of X.

See I saw it a bit as people overcompensating for all the fun they missed while being afraid for their lives. Kinda like a Yuna bursting out of her shell story ( thanks to Riku) set in a fun Charlies Angel's way. But I totally get why that might not be appealing. Even so the combat was soo good. Plus the
Tidus stuff is worth it for him getting blown up later.

joe2187

Banned
and

What more would you want?

Simon 3 is stuck at the bottom of the ocean, alone and angry forever. Catherine is dead, has been dead and has no relation to simon whatsoever. That's it. Nothing more needs to have been said.

Anung

Un Rama
What more would you want?

Simon 3 is stuck at the bottom of the ocean, alone and angry forever. Catherine is dead, has been dead and has no relation to simon whatsoever. That's it. Nothing more needs to have been said.

Yeah, that's
like....the ending. The horror is while Simon 3 gets to live in bliss on the ark and be willfully ignorant to to fact that Simon 2 is trapped at the bottom of the ocean with murderbots. What else would their be to say that wouldn't take the bite out of the ending? Them meeting the real Catherine would be generic and boring as hell.

and

I'm more baffled by
Simon's reaction to not being transferred to the ARK, but copied on. I mean no shit, dumbass, you've already gone through this, I think even Catherine calls him out on his idiocy.

Oh man I keep forgetting about Front Mission 3. I need to get that next time it is on offer on EU PSN so I can play it on my Vita in all that glorious 50Hz.

I'm more baffled by
Simon's reaction to not being transferred to the ARK, but copied on. I mean no shit, dumbass, you've already gone through this, I think even Catherine calls him out on his idiocy.
Yeah, that was really bad, but that's probably because Simon's a moron who's in denial about how the tech works.

Top Bottom