• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Oh man this SFV FANG discussion. FANG sucks. Rufus also sucks.
Matt doesn't like Yun? The hellllll. But he also doesn't like F.A.N.G so I guess that balances out.

Plague needs to be on more podcasts, but next time with Vita-senpai.

MrHoot

I find Plague's bloodborne talk to be fairly good. I mean they play up the joke of him "hating" it but mostly it's just that he's not really into the faster gameplay and he puts it pretty eloquently without antagonising. Also some narrative stuff which I can certainly understand since he likes it better in Souls 1

Well, I was originally just going to settle on watching the Old Hunters playthrough, but decided I might as well buy the damn thing and play it as well. Though because last I played left me at the start of NG+4, I gotta play a bit more of the main game to get to the start of the new content.

Yes, I am doing this with my current build and not a new character, and no I don't give a damn how hard people are saying it supposedly is. I will gladly have Cthulhu Hulk punch my shit in all day till I get through.

NG4Prime is a trip, just watch out for the health pool on that optional boss. I don't think they tested very well beyond NG+. Aside from that, though, there's nothing that should really bust your balls if you've done enough Chalice Dungeons to have good gems, VIT50+, and 50's in your offensive stats.

I did all the bosses without assistance, and aside from the optional boss, all of them in a reasonable number of attempts. The only real issue I had otherwise was that some of the areas felt like such a chore to slog through that I just started doing Yara'ghul sprints.

aly

You guys worry too much.

Like most humans, when put in a group of four or more where he has the outlier opinion, Plague will significantly adulterate his expression of that opinion to bring it down to a level where meaningful conversation can occur. Yes, he does still talk about not liking some of those things, but he makes a general effort to be reasonable enough that the others can interact with him.

That doesn't sound bad. I was just wondering about that dynamic, especially without Liam there for such a long podcast.

I find Plague's bloodborne talk to be fairly good. I mean they play up the joke of him "hating" it but mostly it's just that he's not really into the faster gameplay and he puts it pretty eloquently without antagonising. Also some narrative stuff which I can certainly understand since he likes it better in Souls 1

I kinda wonder how Plague is going to approach DkS 3 with how they seem to be talking and mixing BB with the regular souls series.

Skrams

I'm very confused at what Devil's Third is anymore. It's Resident Evil and what's with all these fucking bats. I get there's the idea of them being used to spread the disease, but there's so fucking many. Also melee enemies for an excuse to use melee and show it's kind of subpar when you have to do a lot of it in a row. It looks better when you do quick switches from shooting doods to runsliding to melee and then throwing an axe at a guys face. Those fucking naked ape babies too. This japanese level looks like one of the first major levels thought out or actually completed. "C4 got her name for her expertise with the plastic explosive." She's a sniper though.

Woolie and Pat never beat Asura's Wrath. Matt and Liam are the only ones. Matt's usually the only guy who seems to dog on it and bring it up whenever he can as far as I remember. I wonder if that's why. Liam comes off as liking the game kind of which is nice to hear. Asura's Wrath too good.
God forbid someone make a joke that's not parroting the guys in this community anymore right?
Good Joke
.......What little I've heard about him talking about the TGA turned me off completely.
Welp. I'm surprised he could be very mad about the TGAs considering last years show and the years of the Spike VGAs we had before it. It's kind of just par for the course at this point.
Can we just replace Liam and have Plague be on the podcast every week?
Nah

I'm very confused at what Devil's Third is anymore. It's Resident Evil and what's with all these fucking bats. I get there's the idea of them being used to spread the disease, but there's so fucking many. Also melee enemies for an excuse to use melee and show it's kind of subpar when you have to do a lot of it in a row. It looks better when you do quick switches from shooting doods to runsliding to melee and then throwing an axe at a guys face. Those fucking naked ape babies too. This japanese level looks like one of the first major levels thought out or actually completed. "C4 got her name for her expertise with the plastic explosive." She's a sniper though.
I'm sure if there are two things Itagaki hates the most (aside from Tekken and modern Team Ninja), it's bats and ghost piranha fish. Clearly that's why every Ninja Gaiden except for 3/Razor's Edge had them, hell on harder difficulties those bats would even EXPLODE.

Even then, it's not worth trying to understand the reasoning behind why anything is the way it is in Devil's Third (just look at NGII and try to comprehend any of that). Though stuff like the rooftop fight with the tac ninjas in the latest video shows what the campaign should clearly have had more of, and is why people say the multiplayer is the better part of the game. Because you don't have enemies with specific AI forcing you into strict situations.

Mind explaining in greater detail? I'm waiting till my plane ride Thursday to listen.
He just seemed generally agitated and even Woolie was like "you're yelling a lot this week." Like, in some cases he was yelling just as joke, but something just seemed a little off.

He just seemed generally agitated and even Woolie was like "you're yelling a lot this week." Like, in some cases he was yelling just as joke, but something just seemed a little off.

He's doing that in everything lately. It's making almost every LP that he's in nearly unwatchable.

Edzi

What was up with Matt this week on the podcast?

He responded on Reddit and said he might have just been sort of agitated because of the Game Awards. Apparently he was pretty ticked off at what he saw there.

He also said he was sort of drunk, which is honestly kind of annoying to hear. I hope everything smooths out though, since I really don't want Matt to start getting sick of what he does or burning out. He seems to take a lot of online comments very seriously, which doesn't really help and is sort of worrying.

He responded on Reddit and said he might have just been sort of agitated because of the Game Awards. Apparently he was pretty ticked off at what he saw there.

He also said he was sort of drunk, which is honestly kind of annoying to hear. I hope everything smooths out though, since I really don't want Matt to start getting sick of what he does or burning out. He seems to take a lot of online comments very seriously though, which doesn't really help and is sort of worrying.

Reading that he was "Trying the Pat thing" is super -_-

I don't know if Matt reads here like the others do or not, but dude, just be yourself. You're quite nice to listen to in things like the Bloodborne LP when you're interested in what's going on as opposed to trying to force a joke out or place a persona on yourself that in the end just ends up being quite irritating to listen to.

MrHoot

I thought he was a bit agitated at the beginning before the game awards segment but I thought he was fine afterwards. Overall I enjoyed the podcast a lot, people make it seem a bit worse than it really is (and what it really is: "it's fiiiine")

Honestly I'im as grossed out as him as a person and creator as to how people were "directed" to react even for Iwata. Or even how that whole Konami is manipulated to make also the game awards look better. It's suuuuper slimy

tsundoku

Really my only complaint about the ffx LP is that matt and woolie need to put the mic a few more feet away from them, and woolie needs to stop mixing game audio down to 4% volume

I thought he was a bit agitated at the beginning before the game awards segment but I thought he was fine afterwards. Overall I enjoyed the podcast a lot, people make it seem a bit worse than it really is (and what it really is: "it's fiiiine")

Honestly I'im as grossed out as him as a person and creator as to how people were "directed" to react even for Iwata. Or even how that whole Konami is manipulated to make also the game awards look better. It's suuuuper slimy

That's such a weird perspective to have- putting aside the Iwata thing, the Konami thing never felt anything like Geoff was pushing for his own show above getting the news out that Kojima was a prisoner to Konami.

Looking at that moment again on YouTube, that whole thing was 99% about Kojima- I don't think I've seen anyone else with Matt's Super cynical perspective on this.

MrHoot

That's such a weird perspective to have- putting aside the Iwata thing, the Konami thing never felt anything like Geoff was pushing for his own show above getting the news out that Kojima was a prisoner to Konami.

Looking at that moment again on YouTube, that whole thing was 99% about Kojima- I don't think I've seen anyone else with Matt's Super cynical perspective on this.

I dunno, but I do feel like I get his perspective (like, being told "how to act" like you're some kind of dumb robot robbed of agency who has to pantocrowd). Yeah of course it's still a superdick move against Kojima and I would've probably boo'd myself if I was there, as a genuine reaction. But it just this feeling, of also how he felt and described it that also disgusts me profoundly. In fact I feel angry myself just thinking about it.

I AM DOING THE PAT THING

ArjanN

Anything with a live audience is super fake and directed if you're actually there though. Way more starts and stops, setup, egging on the crowd to cheer etc. That's because everything is made for the the viewer at home. The people in the crowd are honestly largely just props.

Also the Konami thing seemed fine? Yeah Konami is probably easier to throw under the bus than most companies, since you're not going to be dealing with them much anyway, but I don't doubt that's how he really felt about the situation.

moral of the story
Pats a bad role model in the attitude department
PC on the other hand

Sometimes I feel like Matt's seemingly anti-conformisty leanings end up coming off kind of high school like. His reaction to the Game awards and some of the staged production part of it seem odd. I mean it literally is a staged production and people directing a crowed is part of it. Plus they spent all that time talking about how much fun they had in LA, and they wouldn't have even been in LA if not for the Game awards.

Other instances of this would be how Matt went on about how much he hated technical drawing class in art school because "everyone had to draw the same thing." Like if you're doing art with the goal of any kind of commercial application, the benefits of technical drawing should be glaringly apparent.

Also the whole we hate Valentines day so we're going to do everything people do on Valentines day on the day before or day after thing.

Listening to the podcast, I'm really surprised Woolie straight up said that he doesn't know why they don't use the KoF 13 sprites and make a few more. Maybe because those models took an outrageous amount of man hours and work they probably don't have since this is being semi rushed out?

Matsukaze

I haven't listened to the podcast in ages because I got tired of them talking over each other and topics getting derailed. Might have to give the most recent ones a go to see if things are better than they were when I left off.

Watched Episode 3 of the FFX LP. I think they're already beginning to run the Tidus jokes into the ground and the LP has only just begun. The Wakka jokes are exactly what I expected, and we all know what jokes are coming Lulu's way once she shows up on-screen. They're having fun, though, so I shouldn't complain. I also imagine they'll be more focused by the time they reach Kilika (or maybe Luca).

aly

But I mean it's 1) a live audience and 2) a marketing event. People should understand that, and of course things are directed. That being said, the Konami thing felt real, especially considering Geoff's relationship with Kojima.

Oh man this SFV FANG discussion. FANG sucks. Rufus also sucks.
Matt doesn't like Yun? The hellllll. But he also doesn't like F.A.N.G so I guess that balances out.

Plague needs to be on more podcasts, but next time with Vita-senpai.

FANG is amazing. The fact that he is Shadaloo's 2nd in command is the best.
Listening to the podcast, I'm really surprised Woolie straight up said that he doesn't know why they don't use the KoF 13 sprites and make a few more. Maybe because those models took an outrageous amount of man hours and work they probably don't have since this is being semi rushed out?

Woolie's attitude towards this whole KOF XIV thing has been pretty hyperbolic. The game is still in it's early phase and he's pretty much completely rejected for no reason other than it looks ugly. Not that it doesn't look ugly, but again it's not finished. The visuals have been improving each time we've seen it so hopefully it'll look great by the time it's released.

MrHoot

But I mean it's 1) a live audience and 2) a marketing event. People should understand that, and of course things are directed. That being said, the Konami thing felt real, especially considering Geoff's relationship with Kojima.

I guess i'm just being very naive but still, this kind of stuff just repulses me I can't help it

I absolutely despise FANG's design, but that's good.

If I liked every design in the game (and I did, before FANG), then that would have meant they didn't have a very good variety. They need some characters in there that I hate but other people love.

I absolutely despise FANG's design, but that's good.

If I liked every design in the game (and I did, before FANG), then that would have meant they didn't have a very good variety. They need some characters in there that I hate but other people love.

I guess you would want it to be... Imperfect.

BAM DUM!

Numb

Weird ain't bad.
But he is so fucking lame
Design is lame. Fighting is lame. Movement is lame. Even super is lame. And that voice...so lame

FANG representing Kung Fu Hustle tho
hqdefault.jpg

I haven't finished the podcast but Matt seemed a bit off for sure. Like when Pat is the one taken back with the anger and such... Something is up.

Matt probably just realized that West Coast is Best Coast and he can't deal.

I haven't listened to the podcast in ages because I got tired of them talking over each other and topics getting derailed. Might have to give the most recent ones a go to see if things are better than they were when I left off.

Huh, that is the exact reason that I listen to the podcast every week. It's great! That said, this week isn't really the one to come back for if that's all you're waiting for. Still quite a bit of talking over each other, but with Plague thrown in for good measure.

This Old Hunters playthrough is absolutely fantastic as far as commentary goes. Sure, the sword's a little boring, but hopefully they'll be switching over to the boom hammer soon enough. I really hope Matt gets around to making that Bloodborne video he keeps hinting at eventually.

Reading that he was "Trying the Pat thing" is super -_-

I don't know if Matt reads here like the others do or not, but dude, just be yourself. You're quite nice to listen to in things like the Bloodborne LP when you're interested in what's going on as opposed to trying to force a joke out or place a persona on yourself that in the end just ends up being quite irritating to listen to.
"The Pat thing" means he was trying to be more assertive and speak louder and not let himself be cut off by the other guys. He wasn't trying to emulate Pat, it was a jest.

The_Poet

Banned
With that capcom guy speaking out about the SF5 buttslap thing, I'm willing to bet Liam spends between 30-40 minutes saying the same "I know it makes sense but its still shitty" comment on the next podcast.

The_Poet

Banned
Can't blame him for being right.

Its like the most nothing change ever.

It just really bugged me couple of podcasts ago when he wouldn't let it go, long after he had already made his point and the others had stopped caring/disagreeing, happens on many other topics too.

I'm not trying to be shitty myself here, its just a constant source of me using the skip 15 seconds feature.

So, is FFX just Samurai Jack with a way lamer protagonist and a villain who stays offscreen instead of cackling madly and actively plotting the hero's demise?

So, is FFX just Samurai Jack with a way lamer protagonist and a villain who stays offscreen instead of cackling madly and actively plotting the hero's demise?
Nah its far dumber than that. I really enjoy it however. It was neat as my first Final Fantasy. Eagerly waiting for the next part. Those new intros in each part is really cool.

Top Bottom