• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matsukaze

This seems like an odd thing to complain about. He likes the sword, why does he have to play with something else? I did pretty much the same thing in my playthrough, testing out every new weapon as I got it but ultimately sticking with the Holy Blade. (Though the PIzza Cutter founds it's way into my heart and became my no. 2)
I never said he *has* to, and I can understand concerns about dying more, but he might actually enjoy those new weapons, too, if he gives them a chance.

I understand he's using Ludwig's sword because he finds it fun, but he genuinely didn't seem interested in the new weapons at all*, which surprised me (and Woolie, too, by the sounds of things) because I'm the type of person to ooh and aah over new weapons until I'm experienced enough with them to make an informed comparison.

EDIT: Barring being fascinated by using a Great One's arm to clobber things.

This seems like an odd thing to complain about. He likes the sword, why does he have to play with something else? I did pretty much the same thing in my playthrough, testing out every new weapon as I got it but ultimately sticking with the Holy Blade. (Though the PIzza Cutter founds it's way into my heart and became my no. 2)

Well imagine if every fisticuffs video they just stuck playing only the same characters after finding a favorite.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled that he has no desire to experiment with new weapons on-camera. I understand he's not willing to leave his comfort zone because he loves greatswords and knows the moveset, but still. I imagine he'll throw the Pizza Cutter aside, too.

He didn't even hit an enemy with it before he shelved it.

Edzi

Well imagine if every fisticuffs video they just stuck playing only the same characters after finding a favorite.

Heh, I'd actually be okay with that if they were competitive. As it is now, it can get kind of boring watching them flail around for an hour going through a cast of characters they don't know how to use and with no real incentive to win. Competition is what made the Super Best Friend Brawl videos so great.

MrHoot

He didn't even hit an enemy with it before he shelved it.

He very much explained why. Off camera he's gonna take all the weapons he gets and try them out against different ennemies in low level areas. I think the main reason he keeps the ludwig is that he doesn't want to bloat the thing just playing around with weapons which he's unsure about instead of just going for progress

He very much explained why. Off camera he's gonna take all the weapons he gets and try them out against different ennemies in low level areas. I think the main reason he keeps the ludwig is that he doesn't want to bloat the thing just playing around with weapons which he's unsure about instead of just going for progress

I'm fully aware. Just stating what was done.

Matsukaze

Heh, I'd actually be okay with that if they were competitive. As it is now, it can get kind of boring watching them flail around for an hour going through a cast of characters they don't know how to use and with no real incentive to win. Competition is what made the Super Best Friend Brawl videos so great.
I need more Brawl videos. The gross team-ups are pure gold.

convo

Progress is very important for this LPs since they lack the skill and time to play around with weapons. It's not like they would win any argument if they actually argued with anyone on this matter, this is isolated to their play session and is probably done recording anyway.
They'll get to the end in any case.

The Amygdala Arm and Boom Hammer are both kind of underwhelming, and the Whirligig Saw is more of an anti-boss weapon, so it's easy to not realize how broken it is.

The only real comedy is not using the other Quality weapons.

The Amygdala Arm and Boom Hammer are both kind of underwhelming, and the Whirligig Saw is more of an anti-boss weapon, so it's easy to not realize how broken it is.

The only real comedy is not using the other Quality weapons.

I actually think the Amygdalan Arm is probably one of the best weapons in the game outside of most boss fights. The charged R2 absolutely obliterates groups of enemies and enemy Hunters.

I actually think the Amygdalan Arm is probably one of the best weapons in the game outside of most boss fights. The charged R2 absolutely obliterates groups of enemies and enemy Hunters.

He didn't test it particularly well, since he tried it on the Bloodlickers in kind of a tentative, "Let me see this one move against it" way, when those particularly Bloodlickers are honestly designed in such a way that you should just charge them and swing like mad.

Also, Pat: if you get stuck in an enemy's huge body, cut your way out! Rip and tear!

This Old Hunters lets play is going to go on forever, and I think I'm just fine with that. The dinamic of having all three of them playing/watching is fantastic for this sort of thing.

On a related note, when can we expect the "You guys are idiots and I'm a coward!" shirt to come out?

This Old Hunters lets play is going to go on forever, and I think I'm just fine with that. The dinamic of having all three of them playing/watching is fantastic for this sort of thing.

On a related note, when can we expect the "You guys are idiots and I'm a coward!" shirt to come out?

Forever? Nah, at the rate they're going it'll only have about 12-15 parts.

I agree with the dynamic though. Probably my favorite LP in a long time and not just because Old Hunters is amazing.

Forever? Nah, at the rate they're going it'll only have about 12-15 parts.

I don't know, I kind of have to assume
Ludwig's
going to be a whole episode on his own. Same with
Maria, Orphan, and Lorance.
Especially if pat doesn't want to get a weapon up to +10.
Throw in all the exploration they'll be doing in the Research Hall and the Fishing Village and that's going to stretch on and on. They'll likely go back for the gattling gun Hunter at some point too. Then there's the hidden bits like the well and the bloodrock that they'll have to throw themselves against at some point... Basically I'm not holding my breath for it to end any time soon and I'm totally fine with that. More content for the channel!

Matsukaze

Old Hunters DLC is the best thing on the channel right now by a fair margin.

As for the dangers ahead, I cannot wait to see them mark out for
Ludwig
and how nuts they go for
Maria

Old Hunters DLC is the best thing on the channel right now by a fair margin.

As for the dangers ahead, I cannot wait to see them mark out for
Ludwig
and how nuts they go for
Maria

It's going to be so good. Really interested in seeing how they go about fighting
Ludwig.
I had to call in help the first time...

I don't know, I kind of have to assume
Ludwig's
going to be a whole episode on his own. Same with
Maria, Orphan, and Lorance.
Especially if pat doesn't want to get a weapon up to +10.
Throw in all the exploration they'll be doing in the Research Hall and the Fishing Village and that's going to stretch on and on. They'll likely go back for the gattling gun Hunter at some point too. Then there's the hidden bits like the well and the bloodrock that they'll have to throw themselves against at some point... Basically I'm not holding my breath for it to end any time soon and I'm totally fine with that. More content for the channel!

The Research Hall may takes the most time for sure because it's oddly massive, but the Hamlet's actually not all that big. The well and the cave strike me as something Pat will probably push against for about 10 minutes before he fucks off and either never does it or does it off cam and does a cut to it. We won't actually seem them wipe forever.

Pat gave Ludwig a couple tries but eventually just summoned NPC's and downed him. The only boss he may have trouble against is Lawrence because even with NPC help he's a fucker.

The Research Hall may takes the most time for sure because it's oddly massive, but the Hamlet's actually not all that big. The well and the cave strike me as something Pat will probably push against for about 10 minutes before he fucks off and either never does it or does it off cam and does a cut to it. We won't actually seem them wipe forever.

Pat gave Ludwig a couple tries but eventually just summoned NPC's and downed him. The only boss he may have trouble against is Lawrence because even with NPC help he's a fucker.
Hmm. Good point. Hadn't considered the possibility of an outright backdown/off-camera victory. Well, either way it's still got a good bit to go.

I wonder if they'll remember the shell man falling from the sky by the time they reach the Hamlet. Should be good for at least a little lore/geography speculation.

Hmm. Good point. Hadn't considered the possibility of an outright backdown/off-camera victory. Well, either way it's still got a good bit to go.

I wonder if they'll remember the shell man falling from the sky by the time they reach the Hamlet. Should be good for at least a little lore/geography speculation.

The shell girl I didn't even catch where she came from until a second play through so I wouldn't blame them if they missed it.

Backing down is the right way to deal with the street sharks in an LP. They're one of the few "you really should be cheesing this" Bloodborne encounters.

Edzi

Backing down is the right way to deal with the street sharks in an LP. They're one of the few "you really should be cheesing this" Bloodborne encounters.

Yup, complete BS. I wasted over 3 Shaman Bone Blades on them, because even with those they'd usually clip through each other, survive, and attack me.

Matsukaze

I'm still a little mad at the street sharks for killing my buzz after I
beat Maria on my second attempt

I went in thinking "If I could do that, then you schmucks can't stop me!" Boy did those assholes teach me a lesson.

Yup, complete BS. I wasted over 3 Shaman Bone Blades on them, because even with those they'd usually clip through each other, survive, and attack me.

Yeah, I've beaten all the DLC bosses solo on NG+4, and I've farmed a decent number of Depth 5 Chalice Dungeons with full modifiers all the way to the last boss trying to find Rarity 20 Abyssals that didn't suck.

I still won't fight the street sharks fair. Fuck the code!

mrmyhthef

I tried to cheese them a couple times. Couldn't pull it off so I gave up and fought them legit.

It's all about killing anchor boy before the other one has a chance to ruin the party. Once he's down killing the other one is cake.
Still took me an hour and a half to do it though.

Matsukaze

Hmmm...

So they're still overusing the same jokes (Hungry Tidus, Whiny Tidus, etc.) but at least this episode had some pretty good one-liners
("They're saving that shit for Nationals!", "So I drew lots of fanart of Lulu, and I enjoyed it")
. It's definitely not as good as the Old Hunters, but so far I would rank this LP above Wolfenstein and Devil's Third.

I think the main takeaway from Part 4 was learning just what discouraged Matt from finishing the game. I assumed it might have been
Seymour Flux or Yunalesca
, but no.

MrHoot

I enjoy the FF X lp just for how laid back it is. I think this has been the first time in a while where i've been following all of the lps, enjoying them all in their own way (Old Hunters for that trio, FF X because yeah, i enjoy their dumb wakka, Devil's Third because it's such an alien. Old Blood might be maybe the not so fascinating one as it's pretty straightforward but still I like the commentary. And they use mister snip snip more)

I think the main takeaway from Part 4 was learning just what discouraged Matt from finishing the game. I assumed it might have been
, but no.

The main takeaway from Part 4 for me is that we ain't getting
Anima
. Unless they somehow know to re-do the Besaid trials, or more importantly actually use the destruction sphere at
Macalania
. But Matt doesn't seem like he's going to spend any longer in the trials than he has to.

But I do agree, him having not even fought
Yunalesca
is actually pretty cool. Like, that is something to look forward to, along with everything after.

Nazo

Man, Pat really likes the charged R2 of Ludwig's Holy Blade. Even though he gets his shit pushed in every other time he uses it...

Can't blame him though, its a good move. Just not aginst most of the enemies in the DLC.

Gestahl

Man, Pat really likes the charged R2 of Ludwig's Holy Blade. Even though he gets his shit pushed in every other time he uses it...

Can't blame him though, its a good move. Just not aginst most of the enemies in the DLC.

He's really bad at using the one weapon he refuses to not use, not a good combination that

The charged R2 on Ludwig's is really good against Hunter NPCs, who are the most dangerous enemies in the normal game.

I kind of like the non-transformed running R2 and quick-press R2 better in Old Hunters, though. You still get that sick Thrust damage at good range, but with crazy speed.

daevious

Hmmm...

So they're still overusing the same jokes (Hungry Tidus, Whiny Tidus, etc.) but at least this episode had some pretty good one-liners
("They're saving that shit for Nationals!", "So I drew lots of fanart of Lulu, and I enjoyed it")
. It's definitely not as good as the Old Hunters, but so far I would rank this LP above Wolfenstein and Devil's Third.

, but no.

Bet you that he stopped
at Zanarkand and didn't ever reach Yunalesca.

Xux

Welp, can't beat Ludwig after 30 or so tries. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this video game thing anymore. Guess I'll retire and watch the LP.

Welp, can't beat Ludwig after 30 or so tries. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this video game thing anymore. Guess I'll retire and watch the LP.

You can always try jolly cooperation. I'm usually willing to help people who are in the know*, even though I get massive stat-clamping when summoned.

*Go to Network settings and use the password GAFHUNT with your region settings turned on "Worldwide". Usually helps to post in the thread for the DLC on Gaming Discussion that you're looking for a hand.

The NPCs also aren't completely useless. Valtir can tank quite a bit of damage from what I've seen of players who've summoned me using them, which opens the boss up for the good old Souls standby of repeatedly spanking him. For justice.

The only boss I'd recommend not summoning on is the Research Hall's second. The others are kind of cheap fights anyway, so there's no shame.

What level are you at? Hang around the SL120 area with at least a +9 weapon, grab some fire paper, and maybe call in some coop help if that's not enough.

I think he's very possibly the hardest Souls boss.

I notice it takes a hair longer to charge than most other weapons, that could be throwing him off.

I found this pretty funny, several times it was really obvious that he wasn't going to get the attack off and he got shit on every single time, so greedy.

sjay1994

What level are you at? Hang around the SL120 area with at least a +9 weapon, grab some fire paper, and maybe call in some coop help if that's not enough.

I think he's very possibly the hardest Souls boss.

His first half is, because its really unpredictable. His second half is really readable, and you can wreck it by staying in close.

You guys aren't caught up to it yet, but man, Vessel Spoilers
him trying to use it on Ludwig is whiff city.

You've got to be kidding me. Pat, why would you even think that's a good idea to begin with...?
I assume he had to have a summon tanking for him to even try something like that, but still.

Nazo

Why am I not surprised?

If he wanted to spam a charged R2 why didn't he just stick with the Hunters Axe?
Its WAY more effective.

Oh goddamnit Pat.

I doubt that boss even takes a huge amount of bonus damage from Thrust. He probably would have more DPS just free-swinging anyway during those attack windows, even assuming he had actually managed to hit any of that.

I mean, I get it. He's an OCD RPG nerd. He knows there's a move that puts BIG NUMBER on the screen and he wants it. We all do. It's in our
Old
blood. You've got to tamp it down sometimes and realize that the big number is bait, though.

Top Bottom