• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

So, is FFX just Samurai Jack with a way lamer protagonist and a villain who stays offscreen instead of cackling madly and actively plotting the hero's demise?

Not even close.

The story is pretty stupid until about 1/4th in where you start to get some real developments and after the Farplane stuff really picks up.

aly

So, is FFX just Samurai Jack with a way lamer protagonist and a villain who stays offscreen instead of cackling madly and actively plotting the hero's demise?

No. They make the game look far dumber than it actually is, but even then things don't really kick into gear until much later.

Matsukaze

FFX is great. It ranks as one of my favorite JRPGs.

I'll admit it's not without its faults - the pacing is choppy at the beginning, bosses are easy if you're properly leveled, and it's an absolute chore to unlock the ultimate weapons. The overall package, though, is still a really fun experience and it has several of the most touching moments in FF history.

Anung

Un Rama
Got so many videos to catch up on I don't even know where to start. Probably going to avoid Afro Samurai and Devil's Third for the time being. FFX, Bloodborne or Wolfenstein first?

Got so many videos to catch up on I don't even know where to start. Probably going to avoid Afro Samurai and Devil's Third for the time being. FFX, Bloodborne or Wolfenstein first?
Afro Samurai's literally 3 videos. You'll be done in an hour and a half.

Bloodborne's probably the best choice out of the remaining options.

Laputa_94

I actually just bought FFX on PS4 since the recent FF7 hype has got me wanting to play a Final Fantasy again. Hopefully the LP stays good so I can give it a go after I beat the game like I did with Bloodborne.

I actually just bought FFX on PS4 since the recent FF7 hype has got me wanting to play a Final Fantasy again. Hopefully the LP stays good so I can give it a go after I beat the game like I did with Bloodborne.

At the speed the LP is going with only 30 minute parts, this LP is very likely going to be the longest on the channel by a long shot. I'm thinking they may have forgotten just how long FFX was.

Laputa_94

At the speed the LP is going with only 30 minute parts, this LP is very likely going to be the longest on the channel by a long shot. I'm thinking they may have forgotten just how long FFX was.

With Christmas break coming up sounds like I'll definitely beat it before the LP is over then. Hopefully they stay invested for all of the playthrough.

Well they don't back down from LP's so that makes me think they won't get into LP's without doing their research, I'm confident that at least Matt knows what he's getting into.
With Christmas break coming up sounds like I'll definitely beat it before the LP is over then. Hopefully they stay invested for all of the playthrough.

Maybe they'll stream parts of it, that'd be cool.

Well they don't back down from LP's so that makes me think they won't get into LP's without doing their research, I'm confident that at least Matt knows what he's getting into.

I'm more worried about viewer retention and it going the way of Nuzlocke. Should be fun regardless though. Really looking forward to what Woolie thinks about how the story pans out and I'm curious where exactly Matt stopped.

They started the playthrough on 20/9/2015. Part of me thinks they may have already finished the game. It'll still be massive long though at these short lengths.

Matsukaze

This is a very real concern I have. The main storyline is pretty lengthy, and there's a ton of sidequests on top of that, many of which are time-consuming on their own. If they try to do everything, they will definitely burn themselves out.

Anung

Un Rama

I played through FFX HD a few months back and it took me around 46 hours baseline.

The last few months have proven that this probably isn't the case. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt now as they've bought back some good will.

Anung

Un Rama
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters 1 - That was fucking great. The new set up works is so much better and it seems like they have taken steps to avoid frustration. Also they didn't talk over dialogue :O Why can't Matt be like this all the time? He's so much better.

aly

I dunno about that considering the last couple of months of lps we had like Ultra Despair and MGS V, but we'll see. Cutting out side stuff, FFX isn't too long of a game.

FFX is good so far. LP's making me want to pick up the PS4 version and play along. It's been a long time since I've played it, and I never played X-2 so I'm willing to give that a try too. Only negative about the LP so far is Matt's "me Titus, Titus want eat" schtick is already old and tiresome.

I'm sorry Pat I'm having a hard time believing you're good at fps's when you keep reloading unnecessarily while running through gunfire. It doesn't bother me but it's kind of a big deal. There's more to being good at fps's than aiming good.
^Is this seriously the first time some of you have seen someone compulsively reload after every shot in an FPS? It's a really common thing.
I know it is, but that doesn't make it a good habit. Again, I'm not bothered by it, it's just a bummer that he's died a few more times than he needed to because of it.

Edzi

^Is this seriously the first time some of you have seen someone compulsively reload after every shot in an FPS? It's a really common thing.

Jonami90

Neo Member
"I really don't like when main characters and/or important plot things are just... brought up, and people just don't pay attention or react to them... Yeah, cuz' it's like, now you've got to go through it again for them to actually hear what she just said."

This sounds rather familiar.

This is the fanboy in me speaking, but Matt's decision to go into FFX laughing at it and running the same joke to the ground isn't really doing it for me. I know he said he does ultimately enjoy the game (in an "it's so dumb" way), but it's not really showing. The game has its issues, but I don't think this is an ideal way for Woolie to experience it.

I'm still going to keep watching it, but, man, so far I'm not that impressed. And I know I'm a huge part of that problem myself!

This is the fanboy in me speaking, but Matt's decision to go into FFX laughing at it and running the same joke to the ground isn't really doing it for me. I know he said he does ultimately enjoy the game (in an "it's so dumb" way), but it's not really showing. The game has its issues, but I don't think this is an ideal way for Woolie to experience it.

I'm still going to keep watching it, but, man, so far I'm not that impressed. And I know I'm a huge part of that problem myself!

Definitely agree. It's still early in the LP where the game is still pretty derpy so I can cut it some slack, but if it stays this way throughout the entire LP it's going to get absolutely unbearable.

"I really don't like when main characters and/or important plot things are just... brought up, and people just don't pay attention or react to them... Yeah, cuz' it's like, now you've got to go through it again for them to actually hear what she just said."

This sounds rather familiar.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it is ironic how here Woolie doesn't like a plot point repeating itself for the player, but just the other day in the GoT LP, that game gave them maybe 2 seconds to comprehend that
Tom was going to die in Mira's place
, and they missed it.

I don't think either way is inherently wrong though.

And Matt sounds like he's trying to be 50/50 with the game. So he'll say this and that is cool, but then need to do a 180 degree spin and over-exagerate. Titus doesn't cry everywhere he goes. I don't even think he mentions suffering Sin's toxin after Besaid (and other people actually suffer from it in game, so it isn't some random excuse). And Blitzball isn't part of some great religion, just the victory sign has been appropriated.

Skrams

Maybe they'll stream parts of it, that'd be cool.
They started the playthrough on 20/9/2015. Part of me thinks they may have already finished the game. It'll still be massive long though at these short lengths.
The last few months have proven that this probably isn't the case. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt now as they've bought back some good will.
Matt said the LP was recorded a few months back on the reddit. I wouldn't really put too much hope in them thinking over FFX much as a suitable LP game. I would guess the conversation was basically, "FFX?" and "Yeah, cool."
I'm sorry Pat I'm having a hard time believing you're good at fps's when you keep reloading unnecessarily while running through gunfire. It doesn't bother me but it's kind of a big deal. There's more to being good at fps's than aiming good.

I know it is, but that doesn't make it a good habit. Again, I'm not bothered by it, it's just a bummer that he's died a few more times than he needed to because of it.
But Day of Defeat tho

Anung

Un Rama
Caught up with BB and TOB. BB was greaaaattttttt TOB is a bit rough but still enjoyable.

12 minutes into FFX and Matt calling him Tit-us is already as tiring as it is unamusing.

Disgraced

12 minutes into FFX and Matt calling him Tit-us is already as tiring as it is unamusing.
That's about when I stopped watching it. It might've been closer to 15.

Can anyone watching tell me if Devil's Third is worth catching up on? I fell off around episode 2 and a half.

WOW, not even one complete fight and Pat decided that he doesn't want the hammer lol.

I'm now convinced he would just use the Holy Blade again throughout.

MrHoot

LOL and he backed down from the Arm as well!

Like he said, get used to it
he backdowns from the Moonlight by comparing the scaling on a scaling of a +9 Ludwig and saying it's worse..well woolie too.

Although he did say he would experiment. I would say when you're doing an LP you pretty much want to keep the pace going and I think sticking to the holy blade for now is a good choice as long as you get to see the movesets.

Matsukaze

WOW, not even one complete fight and Pat decided that he doesn't want the hammer lol.

I'm now convinced he would just use the Holy Blade again throughout.
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled that he has no desire to experiment with new weapons on-camera. I understand he's not willing to leave his comfort zone because he loves greatswords and knows the moveset, but still. I imagine he'll throw the Pizza Cutter aside, too.

Edzi

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled that he has no desire to experiment with new weapons on-camera. I understand he's not willing to leave his comfort zone because he loves greatswords and knows the moveset, but still. I imagine he'll throw the Pizza Cutter aside, too.

This seems like an odd thing to complain about. He likes the sword, why does he have to play with something else? I did pretty much the same thing in my playthrough, testing out every new weapon as I got it but ultimately sticking with the Holy Blade. (Though the PIzza Cutter founds it's way into my heart and became my no. 2)

Top Bottom