• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Gestahl

Yeah things just melt in seconds with the saws and saif and you wind up with more leeway for ducking and weaving than when you're desperately trying for a dumb 5 second charge up. I grabbed the saif and beat the first DLC boss after 4 or 5 tries and then did it again on NG+ with the rakuyo.

Dealing damage fast and mashing beast pellets into my character's face has far surpassed my original playthrough of lugging the blade around and never knowing when to actually use the greatsword part and falling back on the Tonitrus instead

Woolie would've scored perfect points if he said "You gotta hit him tho...you gotta get in there and hit him"

That would have been the most glorious moment of the channel.

And yeah, Pat going for that move over and over with that weapon is pretty typical of people who main that weapon. It's a bad habit that it tends to cause.

Xux

You can always try jolly cooperation. I'm usually willing to help people who are in the know*, even though I get massive stat-clamping when summoned.

*Go to Network settings and use the password GAFHUNT with your region settings turned on "Worldwide". Usually helps to post in the thread for the DLC on Gaming Discussion that you're looking for a hand.

The NPCs also aren't completely useless. Valtir can tank quite a bit of damage from what I've seen of players who've summoned me using them, which opens the boss up for the good old Souls standby of repeatedly spanking him. For justice.

The only boss I'd recommend not summoning on is the Research Hall's second. The others are kind of cheap fights anyway, so there's no shame.
What level are you at? Hang around the SL120 area with at least a +9 weapon, grab some fire paper, and maybe call in some coop help if that's not enough.

I think he's very possibly the hardest Souls boss.
Lv165 ish on NG+. I have a +10 Axe and a +8 Kirkhammer I've been using. I've used Henriett almost every time; I stopped last session 'cause I ran out of Insight. Guess I'll look into furthering the League quest since I got a Vermin from some random enemy. I've only ever played offline but I guess I'll try to boot my save in Online mode if I don't get him down in a few more attempts. I looked up some guides so I'll try some new strategies.

Lv165 ish on NG+. I have a +10 Axe and a +8 Kirkhammer I've been using. I've used Henriett almost every time; I stopped last session 'cause I ran out of Insight. Guess I'll look into furthering the League quest since I got a Vermin from some random enemy. I've only ever played offline but I guess I'll try to boot my save in Online mode if I don't get him down in a few more attempts. I looked up some guides so I'll try some new strategies.

We'll get you through somehow. The second area in the DLC is one of my favorite areas in all the Souls games, in terms of actual layout and spatial design, it's well worth putting up with Ludwig's absurd bullshit.

Played the shit outta the Game Boy Battle Arena Toshinden, didn't even know there were games on consoles til years later

9712578.jpg

Battle%20Arena%20Toshinden%20(2).jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why aren't you assholes voting for Art of Fighting on that poll? Do you not know how much of a legendary trainwreck it is? It's The Room of fighting game movies. The Zaibatsu NEEDS to watch it.

Anung

Un Rama
Pat'll learn the hard way that the Greatsword isn't great for that fight as he is deceptively fast and never stays still for long. Regular sword form is better as you can slash slash then back away.

Considering he already beat the fight, no, he won't.

No shame. The first time I beat that boss I was working on 0 vials, despite my 83 Vitality. May as well have said, "PREY LAMED OUT LIKE X TEKKEN".

Skrams

I will be perfectly fine if we get regular Figure Update videos a la Rocco from Mega64.

Also as far as articulation goes, I'm lazy. My figma Samus has had a thumbs up pose for 2 years since I got her. Revoltech Raiden has been sitting on his cardboard box staring at a watermelon for 2 years as well. The Satsuki Sega prize figure made it really easy to pick up considering it's her best pose of standing atop the school. No fuss and no articulation joints that can look kind of ugly sometimes.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm not a fan of like nerdy clothing myself but damn that Spider-gwen hoody is sick.

I would like more Matt's Toy Box to go with my Pat Stares At [Blank]

EDIT: Shame they missed the Grammar Nazi bit in Wolfie.

Anung

Un Rama
Wolfenstein - Part 3 - If only there was some sort of marker that told you where objectives were? I'm glad they edited the fluff out as I can only imagine how painful hearing "I'm so dumb" would be over and over again.

I did laugh at how perplexed Pat got at getting killed super hard by 7 guys as he stands out in the open with no health.

Skrams

I always pronounced it Toe-Shin-Din...

I racked my brain trying to understand how I said Toshinden differently than they do. I think they say Toshin-den while I say it like Toe-shin-din. It doesn't sound that different, but it's just a little off enough that it bothers me every time I hear them say it.

Matsukaze

Wolfenstein Episode 3 - This LP continues to be... lacking. That's not any fault of Matt's or Pat's; they've done the most with what's been presented so far, but there hasn't been much presented. I'll admit that the joke about the
Zaibatsu suicide pact
had me laughing hard. So far, though, this LP has worked better for me as background noise than as an actual video. We'll see how the rest goes.

FFX Episode 5 - The good news - they avoided overusing the same 3 jokes this episode. The bad news - the lack of paying attention is still here. They instantly forgot about the
new pieces of armor they collected
. This isn't a new quirk, so I guess I should have expected as much, but I hold out hope that at least one of them will remember to keep tabs on such things in the near future.

joe2187

Banned
Tidus is the worst fucking protaganist I've ever seen in game. Like holy shit he sucks ass.

He's the main reason I gave up playing FFXHD in the first place, because I couldn't stand the main character.

Ilvocare

Tidus is the worst fucking protaganist I've ever seen in game. Like holy shit he sucks ass.

He's the main reason I gave up playing FFXHD in the first place, because I couldn't stand the main character.

Nah he's fine/great though.

Honestly, if there's something I've learned, it's that when you've played enough shit, you start to understand what true shit is.

Vaan from FFXII is literal trash compared to Tidus, oh my god.

Mediking

Disagreed fully. Titus is freaking awesome.... I relate to him.

Matsukaze

Nah he's fine/great though.

Honestly, if there's something I've learned, it's that when you've played enough shit, you start to understand what true shit is.

Vaan from FFXII is literal trash compared to Tidus, oh my god.
Agreed.

I don't actually fault anyone for disliking Tidus - he's a goober for much of the early game - but Tidus is practically Leon Kennedy compared to the likes of such "nothing" protagonists as
Vaan
and
Sebastian Castellanos

The one thing that upsets me about Tidus is that he's voiced by James Arnold Taylor, who is the voice of Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank series. And I love those games, so hearing him read these dumbass, poorly translated lines in FFX is so jarring to me.

Laputa_94

The one thing that upsets me about Tidus is that he's voiced by James Arnold Taylor, who is the voice of Ratchet from the Ratchet & Clank series. And I love those games, so hearing him read these dumbass, poorly translated lines in FFX is so jarring to me.

Yeah I had that happen to me this week when I was playing then my friend came in (big fan of Ratchet & Clank) and said "Isn't that fucking Ratchet?"

Nazo

I am so glad I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Yeah he's a great voice actor. His Obi-Wan is really good too, but I'm sure like most Ratchet is the voice where I heard him first.

Ilvocare

I actually heard him in FFX first, and it feels like Tidus was actually something of a big break for him, because the characters he voices in stuff pre-FFX are mainly nobodies. Post-FFX and he gets significantly more important roles to play.

Oh, Wakkabot. Someday you'll understand you can't solve all your problems with Blitzball!

He just throws the ball really hard and the problems resolve themselves. Just another day in the life of Wakka
"Al Bhed, More Like All Dead"
Bleetzball

Jonami90

Neo Member
FFX does have a lot of talented voice actors in it: in addition to James Arnold Taylor as Tidus and John Dimaggio as Wakka and Kimahri, you've also got Paula Tiso (Sylvia from No More Heroes and Vijounne from W101) as Lulu, Tara Strong as Rikku, Gregg Berger (Grimlock from Transformers etc.) as Jecht and Tom Kenny (Spongebob), Quinton Flynn (Raiden, Axel etc.), Debi Derryberry (Jimmy Neutron), Corey Burton and a bunch of other famous VAs as NPC:s and side characters.

On the topic of episodes 4 and 5, I really don't see why they don't just use that guide of theirs for the Cloisters (so long, Anima) and the lack of attention and forgetting basic mechanics is getting to me. It's still not bad, but these things can easily snowball into a lot of frustration later on. It's not all bad, at least they're moving along at a good pace and the commentary has its moments.

I remember hearing somewhere that Square didn't want to do lip syncing for English in FFX so the English voice cast had to basically talk to the rhythm of the Japanese voices. Which leads to weird stilted line readings. Still love it.

Also, hello everyone! Been watching the Best Friends for years, new to this thread and gaf.

I remember hearing somewhere that Square didn't want to do lip syncing for English in FFX so the English voice cast had to basically talk to the rhythm of the Japanese voices. Which leads to weird stilted line readings. Still love it.

Also, hello everyone! Been watching the Best Friends for years, new to this thread and gaf.

Welcome.

You can tell that the stilted delivery has to do with lip syncing in the latest part when Yuna has to deliver two lines, one with her back to the camera and the second when the camera can see her face, and the delivery is notably different between the two.

Anung

Un Rama
Caught up on all the videos I missed.

Also listened to the podcast. That was really great and one of the funniest friendcasts in recent memory. It was awesome having Plague on which made for a nice change of pace. Subbing a member every now and then also seems to help keep things fresh and it was for the best it was Liam as like people have pointed out earlier he seems to get weird whenever guests are on. Nice range of discussion and Meth Wall had me guffawing. The bloodborne hate train was a bit oversold as Plague seemed perfectly justified in why he dislikes it (I mean he's wrong but whatevs).

What the fuck was going on with Matt in this podcast? He was totally insufferable. I thought he'd get better after the wedding but he is getting worse. I don't want to sound like a nasty prick but he is making it increasingly difficult to enjoy anything he is involved in. More The Old Hunters Matt please and less whatever this joke-forcing-yell persona is supposed to be.

Is all his constant yelling and joke forcing practice for Game Grumps? Seems like he'll be a good fit ;)

I'm going to give FFX a few more episodes before I drop it I think. I'm just not sure what the LP is supposed to even be and I don't think they do either. Seems like a video made before they started taking feedback.

The Old Hunters is still super awesome :D

sjay1994

Yeah he's a great voice actor. His Obi-Wan is really good too, but I'm sure like most Ratchet is the voice where I heard him first.

Its so fucking weird knowing Tidus and Obi Wan are voiced by the same person, considering their voices are complete opposite ends of a spectrum

sjay1994

Caught up on all the videos I missed.

Also listened to the podcast. That was really great and one of the funniest friendcasts in recent memory. It was awesome having Plague on which made for a nice change of pace. Subbing a member every now and then also seems to help keep things fresh and it was for the best it was Liam as like people have pointed out earlier he seems to get weird whenever guests are on. Nice range of discussion and Meth Wall had me guffawing. The bloodborne hate train was a bit oversold as Plague seemed perfectly justified in why he dislikes it (I mean he's wrong but whatevs).

What the fuck was going on with Matt in this podcast? He was totally insufferable. I thought he'd get better after the wedding but he is getting worse. I don't want to sound like a nasty prick but he is making it increasingly difficult to enjoy anything he is involved in. More The Old Hunters Matt please and less whatever this joke-forcing-yell persona is supposed to be.

Is all his constant yelling and joke forcing practice for Game Grumps? Seems like he'll be a good fit ;)

I'm going to give FFX a few more episodes before I drop it I think. I'm just not sure what the LP is supposed to even be and I don't think they do either. Seems like a video made before they started taking feedback.

The Old Hunters is still super awesome :D

I think he was just really annoyed at the shit show he had to endure at the game awards

Brudda.... don't worry, just bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetzball

Pretty much agree with Anung on Matt. More of the awesome Matt we have in The Old Hunters and less of the Matt we have in FFX with meme's and references repeated every time he speaks.

I'm no Souls player, but it's a bit painful to see Pat keep charging up that sword attack when it's proven itself to not be useful in this fight. Pat often has trouble adapting to the situation and instead sticks to a set pattern.

Top Bottom