• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

I'm no Souls player, but it's a bit painful to see Pat keep charging up that sword attack when it's proven itself to not be useful in this fight. Pat often has trouble adapting to the situation and instead sticks to a set pattern.

As I said on the last page, it's a bad habit that everyone using that weapon tends to develop because it's such a good move on most enemies in the game.

Pat's right, though, Ludwig's ceiling crawl is pretty much... horse-shit. (Though he's lucky, on NG+4 it's instant death even with 80+ VIT.)

As I said on the last page, it's a bad habit that everyone using that weapon tends to develop because it's such a good move on most enemies in the game.
The funny thing is I've never actually used that move all that much so I've never had time to develop that habit. If anything I just stick to the sword in its normal form because it's just that useful for me (the dodge attacks in particular).

The funny thing is I've never actually used that move all that much so I've never had time to develop that habit. If anything I just stick to the sword in its normal form because it's just that useful for me (the dodge attacks in particular).

The R2 follow-up uppercut on the normal form is one of my favorite moves just because it has hilarious knockback for a weapon of its size, at least on the MLHS version. It sends things soaring through the air and even knocks Rom out of his vanishing act.

Still better to just spam non-charged R2's for quick thrusts, though.

Matsukaze

Bloodborne DLC Part 4 - Another solid episode and another reminder why this is the top ongoing LP. This boss fight provides so much excitement for both player and audience alike, and the thematically-appropriate reward is soooo satisfying.

As usual, the Matt-Pat-Woolie trio is tops; they all got so hyped and played off each other nicely. Also, Woolie and Matt are more relaxed on commentary here and don't overdo it with the same few lines, which is why I hope that begins to rub off on the FFX LP. Can't wait to see how they all handle the fun times ahead.

Bloodborne DLC Part 4 - Another solid episode and another reminder why this is the top ongoing LP. This boss fight provides so much excitement for both player and audience alike, and the thematically-appropriate reward is soooo satisfying.

As usual, the Matt-Pat-Woolie trio is tops; they all got so hyped and played off each other nicely. Also, Woolie and Matt are more relaxed on commentary here and don't overdo it with the same few lines, which is why I hope that begins to rub off on the FFX LP. Can't wait to see how they all handle the fun times ahead.

I totally agree with Pat on the three-man setup being best for any future Soulslike game. Now two people can provide the usual banter while the person playing can concentrate on the game when he needs to.

Handing off the controller in the LP of the base game just got messy and Pat beckseat gaming like a champ during DS2 got on my nerves often. I still liked both of those LP's, but this is much better already. Glad they found a formula that works for them. Here's hoping they'll play DS1 and DES too, someday.

Also I would totally love to see Liam jump guns like never before in a From game sometime.

Potential 3 people set up for Dark Souls 3?

Though I want gun jumper Liam to touch the controller at some point. I haven't watched any of the Bloodborne LP (because spoilers dammit) so I dunno how the dynamic is working, apart from Woolie's spirit animal is a snail.

The longsword moveset is by far better, and even transformed the L2 is a better option in most occasions, especially bossfights.
Please no. I want to actually enjoy the game. If I wanted to watch speed runs, I'd watch Elajjaz.
Nah son, we in there

V-Faction

I recently finished the Pat/Woolie 'I Have No Mouth and I must scream' playthrough. Are there other similar LPs, with Pat at the helm and Woolie as the driving force/conductor? Mind you, I'm probably going to start the Dark Sorrow videos, but any recommendations?

Matsukaze

Battlefront Video - Well, between Nazi E.T. and George Lucas forcing children into Ewok costumes, it was worth a watch.

I remember hearing somewhere that Square didn't want to do lip syncing for English in FFX so the English voice cast had to basically talk to the rhythm of the Japanese voices. Which leads to weird stilted line readings. Still love it.

Also, hello everyone! Been watching the Best Friends for years, new to this thread and gaf.
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay!

sjay1994

Potential 3 people set up for Dark Souls 3?

Though I want gun jumper Liam to touch the controller at some point. I haven't watched any of the Bloodborne LP (because spoilers dammit) so I dunno how the dynamic is working, apart from Woolie's spirit animal is a snail.

The format is great.

Where as the 2 man is usually them both hitting their heads against a wall and often them getting frustrated with one another, and the controller passing created lulls in video progression, the 3 man is much better as one person is hitting their head against a wall, and the other 2 are just talking mad shit/ getting hype.

Old hunters is the best thing on the channel ATM

I haven't watched the latest Bloodborne DLC because I might play it sometime soon, but maybe doing blind LPs with 3 guys is the way to go. The start of MGS V was good, although 4 might be a bit too chaotic.

Disgraced

Old Hunters is only a blind-ish, Pat's seen all the weapons and might know more, and it's an expansion to a game they're practiced at.

sjay1994

He's got 82 Insight. He knows a lot of things!

(He should really, really dump that before he hits the third zone.)

I mean, its only good for one area... and at the rate the LP is going, not sure if they will stray far from Ludwigs.

Considering Part 5 is on vessel now, I feel like Pat's charge R2 habits are going to drive me insane. There are so many moments where he can do good damage with some consecutive lights, but he chooses to charge...and is knocked out of it constantly since he gets hit

Woolie and Mat are blind.

Pat the cheater knows some things, but not everything.

Mostly not by choice. I've never been so thoroughly spoiled on something prior to release. Literally the first image I ever saw of the Old Hunters was someone sending me a photo of one of the transformations on twitter.

Anung

Un Rama
I totally agree with Pat on the three-man setup being best for any future Soulslike game. Now two people can provide the usual banter while the person playing can concentrate on the game when he needs to.

Yeah, the three man set-up change has really shaken things up and TOH is probably the best thing they're doing (maybe even have done in a while) on the channel by a wide margin.

I only agree up to a point though. One of the reasons that it's worked out so well is because Matt actually cares and is passionate about the game enough to just say interesting things and not try force jokes and yell. In a theoretical DS3 LP I hope if they do pick a third LPer they use someone who wants to be there as just having a third person isn't what's making this one so good.

That's a long ways off though but just a thought.

I wonder if the Zaibatsu are going to bring up Independence Day: Resurgence, either on its own, in conjunction with Godzilla (since Matt complained about the use of Resurgence in movie titles), or in relation to the XCOM2 info vomit we got at the end of this week.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I wonder if the Zaibatsu are going to bring up Independence Day: Resurgence, either on its own, in conjunction with Godzilla (since Matt complained about the use of Resurgence in movie titles), or in relation to the XCOM2 info vomit we got at the end of this week.

I hope Matt doesn't forget because he seems like he's the only one that would care.

sjay1994

Mostly not by choice. I've never been so thoroughly spoiled on something prior to release. Literally the first image I ever saw of the Old Hunters was someone sending me a photo of one of the transformations on twitter.

Dude, thats really unfortunate... because this DLC has some amazing stuff.

sjay1994

I thought Independance Day 2 was a joke, I didn't know it was actually a thing until today.

To answer Liam's question from Devil's Third:

Generally, as a nuclear weapon's action is based on achieving nuclear chain reaction rather than a chemical release of energy, it's "safe" to destroy a nuke with conventional explosives. This does risk spreading fissile materials around the area in question, but the fact you're blowing up a nuke won't actually increase the destructive force of the explosive used to do so, in spite of your intuition.

There are actually a fairly large number of explosives that can be safely destroyed by blowing them up, due to using electrical ignition, requiring dispersal before detonation to be effective, etc. EOD (the Hurt Locker guys) will often deal with a bomb by just strapping a smaller bomb to it and detonating it from a safe distance.

Also I would totally love to see Liam jump guns like never before in a From game sometime.
I'd enjoy a Demon's Souls LP with Liam at the controls a lot, I really enjoy watching someone whose very knowledgeable about a game talk about and play it. Not a dig against Pat and Woolie playing Bloodborne/DS2. I just imagine Liam would have to know that game quite well given he's said it's his favorite of the bunch.

I'd enjoy a Demon's Souls LP with Liam at the controls a lot, I really enjoy watching someone whose very knowledgeable about a game talk about and play it. Not a dig against Pat and Woolie playing Bloodborne/DS2. I just imagine Liam would have to know that game quite well given he's said it's his favorite of the bunch.

I really hope a Demon's Souls LP is on the cards at some point. Maybe if Sony decide to HD remaster it then they'd have the perfect excuse to.

I don't even believe that Pat deduced the way to get the Holy Moonlight Greatsword from the note to be honest

Considering putting on the church outfits before talking to npc's is an established aspect of getting alternate dialogue already, it's not that hard to believe.

I'm afraid I don't understand Pat's reasoning on these new weapons. He has upgrade materials, but seems to be making his judgement on them based solely on the unupgeaded version. The scaling and stats all improve as you upgrade them... Am I missing something or is he just afraid of changing to a different move set at this point?

sjay1994

I really hope a Demon's Souls LP is on the cards at some point. Maybe if Sony decide to HD remaster it then they'd have the perfect excuse to.

If I were them, I'd probably never do another LP with a souls game.

Like, the old hunters videos have been great, but they, well mostly Pat must be so tired of the constant posts criticizing the way they play or something he says about the game on the reddit, youtube and here.

Like, fuck, I am guilty of doing this. I had to take a step back and go "man, I am criticizing someone based on how they play a fucking video game, what the fuck is wrong with me"

Hundreds and hundreds of people constantly criticizing you must be grating, and Pat was salty about the OG LP.

If they do end up doing another souls game LP after Old Hunters, they are not cowards.

Getting criticized isn't exclusive to Souls LPs, it's part of the Lets play business. I'm sure that they're all used to it by now and don't really give much of a shit about hurtful comments.

Matsukaze

If Demon's Souls one day gets a LP, I hope Liam will be a part of it, given that his love for DeS is probably even greater than Pat's. Watching him frazzle the others with his ballsy gunjumping would be great.

Currently watching the first episode of Star Wars Week. Health Swords disrupt my video game feng shui.

xezuru

If Demon's Souls one day gets a LP, I hope Liam will be a part of it, given that his love for DeS is probably even greater than Pat's. Watching him frazzle the others with his ballsy gunjumping would be great.

Currently watching the first episode of Star Wars Week. Health Swords disrupt my video game feng shui.

As much as I consider DeS the best in the series *shades*.
The Woolie steering with Pat GPS Anger Mode with tertiary bonus Matt shit talk app would be the greatest.

If I were them, I'd probably never do another LP with a souls game.

Like, the old hunters videos have been great, but they, well mostly Pat must be so tired of the constant posts criticizing the way they play or something he says about the game on the reddit, youtube and here.

Souls games aren't the only games that get criticism bro. All their videos do.

Old Hunters is only a blind-ish, Pat's seen all the weapons and might know more, and it's an expansion to a game they're practiced at.

Even being practiced at it, god damn is this dlc hard. I had to give up at (final boss spoiler)
Orphan of Kos. That second phase just destroyed me continually and I could not do it anymore. I'm a coward!

Edzi

Even being practiced at it, god damn is this dlc hard. I had to give up at (final boss spoiler)
Orphan of Kos. That second phase just destroyed me continually and I could not do it anymore. I'm a coward!

Yup, the difficulty gets to absurd levels the higher your NG+ level is. At NG+++, I had an insanely tough time with Lu
dwig
, OoK, and L
aurence
since at that level they can one shot you with most of their big attacks, and their health pool is just insanely huge. The only way I managed was by equipping all three HP+ runes, since my level 50+ Vitality wasn't enough to survive.

Still, it was a phenomenal DLC, just a little poorly balanced on NG+++. With all the praise the LP is getting, I might actually watch this one to see them react to the awesome designs even though I skipped the original BB LP.

Yup, the difficulty gets to absurd levels the higher your NG+ level is. At NG+++, I had an insanely tough time with Lu
dwig
, OoK, and L
aurence
since at that level they can one shot you with most of their big attacks, and their health pool is just insanely huge. The only way I managed was by equipping all three HP+ runes, since my level 50+ Vitality wasn't enough to survive.

Still, it was a phenomenal DLC, just a little poorly balanced on NG+++. With all the praise the LP is getting, I might actually watch this one to see them react to the awesome designs even though I skipped the original BB LP.

The Old Hunters LP is much better than the original LP. Matt adds a lot of energy to it and it's good having the continuity of just Pat playing, even though he needs to give that charged R2 a rest.

Top Bottom