• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matsukaze

I went straight to Old Hunters on NG+, because I didn't feel like starting from scratch even if it meant having a simpler time. Probably my favorite DLC of all time, but boy did a certain few bosses show me I needed to git gud.

Ludwig absolutely wrecked me. I swear it felt like it took me 40 tries before I finally beat him. I just kept getting hit with his "Death from above" attack and I could only watch my health bar disappear. I didn't summon Henriett, though. Probably could have made things easier for myself but I chose to bang my head against the wall.

Living Failures I beat on my first try. Shades of Celestial Emissary simplicity. Instead of mindlessly swinging, there was actual movement and coordination required, but it was still simple enough to nail on the first try.

Beat Maria on the second attempt, admittedly more a victory of luck than skill. Breaking her poise and getting her to flinch was easier than I expected, and I just kept the pressure on her.

Orphan and Laurence were both bastards, but Orphan was worse. At times it felt like Orphan dealt damage to me just by looking in my direction, I got stomped that bad. I think it took me ~20 attempts for each of them.

I resumed watching Ippo again after a long break(took a break right before the Volg fight), holy shit man episode 71.

I can't believe they just started the fight like that, the fucking balls to have Ippo Dempsey Roll after zero seconds have passed.

I resumed watching Ippo again after a long break(took a break right before the Volg fight), holy shit man episode 71.

I can't believe they just started the fight like that, the fucking balls to have Ippo Dempsey Roll after zero seconds have passed.

I recently finished the series, at least as far as anime goes, about a week ago. Easily my favorite series right now.

Matsukaze

FFX Part 6 - Better than previous episodes. I think Woolie is warming up to the story, but maybe I'm being too optimistic. The Whiny Tidus jokes are probably here to stay for the near future, so that's not great, but commentary is slowly but surely branching out.

Fight-wise, I really hope they don't fret over team line-ups for boss fights; more often than not, any team will be able to handle things fine, and I want to believe Matt will remember that as the LP goes on (regardless of what the guide might say). I really appreciate that they were talking strategy (even for pushovers like what they fought this episode); strategy is a fun part of even turn-based RPGs, so I dig listening to them discuss options and ideas.

All things considered - Currently, FFX remains the second-best LP ongoing, making my personal rankings: Bloodborne: The Old Hunters > Final Fantasy X > Devil's Third >>> Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Xux

I LOLed out loud at the new Old Hunters video on Vessel.
"This'll be easy!" Five seconds later YOU DIED. I wanna see how bad they jump when they find the church pick.

sjay1994

I went straight to Old Hunters on NG+, because I didn't feel like starting from scratch even if it meant having a simpler time. Probably my favorite DLC of all time, but boy did a certain few bosses show me I needed to git gud.

Ludwig absolutely wrecked me. I swear it felt like it took me 40 tries before I finally beat him. I just kept getting hit with his "Death from above" attack and I could only watch my health bar disappear. I didn't summon Henriett, though. Probably could have made things easier for myself but I chose to bang my head against the wall.

Living Failures I beat on my first try. Shades of Celestial Emissary simplicity. Instead of mindlessly swinging, there was actual movement and coordination required, but it was still simple enough to nail on the first try.

Beat Maria on the second attempt, admittedly more a victory of luck than skill. Breaking her poise and getting her to flinch was easier than I expected, and I just kept the pressure on her.

Orphan and Laurence were both bastards, but Orphan was worse. At times it felt like Orphan dealt damage to me just by looking in my direction, I got stomped that bad. I think it took me ~20 attempts for each of them.

Everyone struggles with Ludwig, don't worry about it

Devil's Third had potential to be good but instead they made the bad game

OOPS! All garbage!

To be fair to General Oats (and I have no idea why you would want to be): it seems the game design ("game feel" controls/camera/etc.) are solid, but the money just wasn't there. The death of two publishers probably stopped this game from becoming the... well, it was always going to be a weird, absurd tonally-jarring mess, but it seems like it would have played pretty well.

As much as I want to not hate it, though, I keep coming back to a very simple problem: any compliment I can give this game can easily be countered by, "Yeah, but Oneechanbara did it better."

That's not a good place to be.

MrHoot

I LOLed out loud at the new Old Hunters video on Vessel.
"This'll be easy!" Five seconds later YOU DIED. I wanna see how bad they jump when they find the church pick.

This is the most Pat's balls exposed on stream we've ever seen in a super long while.

It's funny how an NPC uses the ludwig holy blade way better than him

FFX Part 6 - Better than previous episodes. I think Woolie is warming up to the story, but maybe I'm being too optimistic. The Whiny Tidus jokes are probably here to stay for the near future, so that's not great, but commentary is slowly but surely branching out.

Fight-wise, I really hope they don't fret over team line-ups for boss fights; more often than not, any team will be able to handle things fine, and I want to believe Matt will remember that as the LP goes on (regardless of what the guide might say). I really appreciate that they were talking strategy (even for pushovers like what they fought this episode); strategy is a fun part of even turn-based RPGs, so I dig listening to them discuss options and ideas.

All things considered - Currently, FFX remains the second-best LP ongoing, making my personal rankings: Bloodborne: The Old Hunters > Final Fantasy X > Devil's Third >>> Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

I don't know, Matt and Woolie are making assumptions and running with it. Woolie's bitching about Kilika was unreal. Can't say Matt didn't feed that mentality though, stating Spira was some sort of water obsessed world or that Sin is a pure-water beast.

That whole part fighting on the boat sounded like Woolie was referring to the guidebook. I thought it was actually going somewhere, but if they are using a guidebook this early? I'm not sure what to say. The underwater part was better, but that was a limited party setup. Well, maybe this means Matt will use Rikku at some point. I'm also interested to see how they handle Kimahri's sphere grid.

Both the story and gameplay are suffering from the same problem, neither are being given the time to be digested.

Skrams

Devil's Third is still pretty interesting for being the only active LP I'm watching. I just wish the game had more variety when it comes to the environment. I'm also still pretty lost with the story. I hope the bosses and final segments are somewhat cool enough.

I'm going to give FFX a few more episodes before I drop it I think. I'm just not sure what the LP is supposed to even be and I don't think they do either. Seems like a video made before they started taking feedback.

As usual, the Matt-Pat-Woolie trio is tops; they all got so hyped and played off each other nicely. Also, Woolie and Matt are more relaxed on commentary here and don't overdo it with the same few lines, which is why I hope that begins to rub off on the FFX LP. Can't wait to see how they all handle the fun times ahead.

LP seems like it was recorded back in September according to Matt, so I really doubt anything new will rub off on it. That is unless they somehow took a big break at some point and it only finished up the last parts recently. For now, I assume most peoples complaints are probably going to stay the same for a while. Or maybe they'll just get worse if the guys get bored with the LP like Nuzlocke or something.

To be fair to General Oats (and I have no idea why you would want to be): it seems the game design ("game feel" controls/camera/etc.) are solid, but the money just wasn't there. The death of two publishers probably stopped this game from becoming the... well, it was always going to be a weird, absurd tonally-jarring mess, but it seems like it would have played pretty well.

As much as I want to not hate it, though, I keep coming back to a very simple problem: any compliment I can give this game can easily be countered by, "Yeah, but Oneechanbara did it better."

That's not a good place to be.
Still better than Ninja Gaiden 3.

D
LP seems like it was recorded back in September according to Matt, so I really doubt anything new will rub off on it. That is unless they somehow took a big break at some point and it only finished up the last parts recently. For now, I assume most peoples complaints are probably going to stay the same for a while. Or maybe they'll just get worse if the guys get bored with the LP like Nuzlocke or something.

If I recall he mentioned on a podcast a week or so ago that they just recorded the laughing scene so they're still pretty early in the game by the time the LP started.

Skrams

Liam saying OPM latest stuff isn't as good as Boros stuff. I will fight him. Garou arc has been amazing recently.

I'm surprised Woolie is complaining about manga to anime transition when he's made it sound like he won't watch OPM until it ends. A lot of the jokes have translated fucking magnificently.

I also get it's the thing of praising a thing is harder than having little complaints about it, but all that's leaking out recently from them is complaints about it every few weeks. It's certainly weird considering the anime is better than anything I could of ever hoped for honestly. At least hearing Pat's praise is keeping my spirit alive.

Skrams

I never imagined I would hear this.

He's the only one who isn't clouded by reading the manga first, so it makes sense. Taking that statement as a lone statement though without context? Yeah, understandable. That's just a testament to One Punch Man and the anime's quality.

Moaradin

Liam shitting on the Garou arc? whaaaaaaaaaa

I assume he's just talking about the remake manga which is just in the beginnings of that arc and not the webcomic.

Skrams

Who is Brennan Williams? Haven't listened to the podcast in a while, may jump back on if the guests are good.
This guy.

I assume he's just talking about the remake manga which is just in the beginnings of that arc and not the webcomic.

Yeah, I have to imagine he hopped off at an early point in the arc or something. He's only read Murata's version 99% sure as well. I think the recent shit with Metal Bat has been pretty fucking cool and the only parts that I think are "lame" are the short chapters/irregular updates or tournament miniarc that hasn't gone anywhere.

Nazo

Just got finished listening to the podcast and I am soooo down for Woolie's idea for them to do a D&D style table top video or episode of the podcast. Hell, make it a series with an episode once a month or something. I don't care, but please just do it. It would be the hypest.

Jonami90

Neo Member
Just got finished listening to the podcast and I am soooo down for Woolie's idea for them to do a D&D style table top video or episode of the podcast. Hell, make it a series with an episode once a month or something. I don't care, but please just do it. It would be the hypest.

Yes to all of this.

Also, man, the talk about finishers ("The Third Impact" and "Nico Nico Knee") and the talk about Godzilla running into an AT field were golden. I had not seen anything about Brennan other than a couple of tweets of his before, so I was really surprised at how much fun he was as a guest. He knew the jokes and references, he knew the e-mail address, good stuff.

Yakuza 5 is really great so far, took me about 18 hours to get through Kiryu's story, I love it.

Also I checked out the Wolfenstein LP, yeah that's more of a background noise LP, but I have enjoyed it so far. What is everyone's biggest problem with it? Pat's overconfidence leading to repeats of certain fights?

Matsukaze

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but be still my beating heart. I have been thinking about how hype a Zaibatsu D&D session would be for ages. I really hope this comes true, because that would be amazing.

Also I checked out the Wolfenstein LP, yeah that's more of a background noise LP, but I have enjoyed it so far. What is everyone's biggest problem with it? Pat's overconfidence leading to repeats of certain fights?
I don't mind Pat being overconfident at all (because I tend to be overconfident and pay for it when I play shooters lol). For me, the game just doesn't have anything to really make it stand out. I don't find the gameplay particularly exciting, I don't find the writing funny or well-crafted, and I don't find the story engaging or hype-generating. It's not a *bad* game, I just find it unremarkable. Devil's Third is *almost* in the same boat, but it has this odd Japanese-meets-Western style charm to it that's growing on me.

The game is just a boring shooter with nothing interesting about it.

sjay1994

Yes to all of this.

Also, man, the talk about finishers ("The Third Impact" and "Nico Nico Knee") and the talk about Godzilla running into an AT field were golden. I had not seen anything about Brennan other than a couple of tweets of his before, so I was really surprised at how much fun he was as a guest. He knew the jokes and references, he knew the e-mail address, good stuff.

Yakuza 5 is really great so far, took me about 18 hours to get through Kiryu's story, I love it.

I find the game really boring to watch and play. I leave it on as background noise

Just started listening to the podcast.
Yes.
CK4r6RdWcAAcT7k.jpg

kewlmyc

It's the only thing that makes sense. The climax of the Garou arc is easily the best thing in the series, can't wait to see it in the remake manga.

So instead of playing Yakuza 5 because I already spent my money on Devil's Third with no regrets, I decided to rewatch the Yakuza 4 LP.

I didn't realize that Pat was even pushing Mercury Rising all the way back then (I thought it was first brought up during the Silent Hill 2 playthrough). Suddenly Matt pushing Face/Off during the prison segment in retaliation is so much more hilarious.

Top Bottom