• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matsukaze

Good for Kojima. He was always going to land on his feet, but the quickness with which this was announced is an especially nice little "fuck you" to Konami.

Hopefully Sony's fronting the production budget and assisting on the technology front in exchange for exclusivity, but KojiPro's going to retain the IP.

I'd like to see Kojima heading up Developers Sans Frontiers in four years time, for better or for worse.

Skrams

Finished listening to both recent podcasts. Plague cast was better than I expected it to be. It still felt a little weird with plague having to nail down what he even likes about games as an overall thing across the podcast, but eh. I'm taking it that he likes Souls and not a ton else honestly. I guess RPGs and things with more thought put into your actions are the real thing there. It was pretty funny to hear Woolie and Pat jab at him for his tastes a lil bit.

Enjoyed Brennan Williams cast pretty well too. He seems like a really cool guy. Animeing and DMing and LARPing and shit. He really is a better Woolie.

incorrect. economic warfare is the only warfare. and with a cast of like 50 you can't help it! you can't! it's physically impossible!

sucks no bayo reactions :(

That guys thinking of panties. Kick in face. Also a weird love triangle with a legal loli and a not legal loli. It's not a good time. I enjoy the approach to economy and actual raid tactics, but those characters severely hamper me from caring about anything.

why does everything get announced conveniently while im playing videogames
fucking Kojima working for Sony and now Bayos in Smash

Maybe you need to spend less time playing video games and more time talking about playing video games!

... wait, no, probably just keep missing announcements.

Skrams

i actively avoid bad games though
and im currently playing FF13-2 then Returns

gorillawhat.jpg

huh

Also maybe you should of planned ahead to take time to watch the Smash announcement since it was announced days ago.

gorillawhat.jpg

huh

Also maybe you should of planned ahead to take time to watch the Smash announcement since it was announced days ago.

i have a thing where if i start a trilogy i have to finish it
its the reason i stuck with Naruto lol
damn my OCD
also i was literally finishing Tomb Raider 2013 when the announcement happened

no its not just trilogys
if i start something my OCD compells me to finish it
thankfully i got my happy ending with that anime
Woolies doomed though

When you say "happy ending", do you mean "Naruto becomes Hokage" or "Tsunade at the onsen"?

I wouldn't watch it either way, but given how long it's taken that series to resolve, it should be the latter. Everyone who's been reading from the beginning is old enough that it should have been seinen now, anyway.

gorillawhat.jpg

huh

i have a thing where if i start a trilogy i have to finish it
its the reason i stuck with Naruto lol
damn my OCD
also i was literally finishing Tomb Raider 2013 when the announcement happened

The thing about 13-2 though is that it has the best villain in the series with one of my favorite stories, so that game gets a big pass from me on that merit alone.

Xiraiya

Very Outer Heaven-ish
CWU1YkbWEAAMZyl.png

Hideo doesn't have the rights to MGS or ZOE I believe, and I'm pretty sure he's tired of making MGS games especially after V.

After finishing 4 he ended up realizing he had some new ideas about 5 already and so started on PW and also was doing FOX Engine work around the same time which is where all those CG renders and textures came from, he wanted Ground Zeroes to originally come out in 2010 immediately after Peace Walker and then do V after that.

So whatever he does now I hope is more ZOE inclined than MGS, but he is also a man who has ideas and concepts outside of either of those series so there's no telling what he'll do.

Matsukaze

no its not just trilogys
if i start something my OCD compells me to finish it
I am the same way about individual games and books, but not entire trilogies or series. I can power through one disappointment - I hate leaving novels and games unfinished if I've already made headway - but if I think that what lies ahead in the next installment is going to be crap, I won't bother (unless someone I trust can convince me it's worth a shot).

MrHoot

Someone posted this on offtopic and I thought you guys might enjoy it. Also posted it to Pat after I saw he had a crappy day (because someone spoiled TFA apaprently to him).

It's a little tour with SWERY across some bars in Osaka, as he talks games, arcades, whiskey, tequila and stuff. It's extremely comfy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD25QKh6mGA

Also it's funny that I recalled that I almost worked, a long time ago, as an intern for the company that made the destruction engine for The Force Unleashed. It was such a small/nothing company in the outskirts of geneva

When you say "happy ending", do you mean "Naruto becomes Hokage" or "Tsunade at the onsen"?

I wouldn't watch it either way, but given how long it's taken that series to resolve, it should be the latter. Everyone who's been reading from the beginning is old enough that it should have been seinen now, anyway.

NaruHina happened
i like being right
the rage of NaruSaku fans will fuel me for GENERATIONS!

Anung

Un Rama
Someone posted this on offtopic and I thought you guys might enjoy it. Also posted it to Pat after I saw he had a crappy day (because someone spoiled TFA apaprently to him).

It's a little tour with SWERY across some bars in Osaka, as he talks games, arcades, whiskey, tequila and stuff. It's extremely comfy.

Also it's funny that I recalled that I almost worked, a long time ago, as an intern for the company that made the destruction engine for The Force Unleashed. It was such a small/nothing company in the outskirts of geneva

What a great little video (I'll post in the other thread) SWERY seems like such a cool guy and this video brought memories flooding back of my time there. I really enjoyed exploring and finding little places off the beaten path. I never made it to Osaka but I'll definitely try and get there next time (plus I wanna go see the platinum games office and be told to ask my mom or use my brain)

I also went drinking with some businessmen and even as a Scottish person I struggled to keep up. These dudes know how to hold there own drink-wise.

Matsukaze

I just saw his tweet. I would be ready to put my foot through my screen if that happened to me.

I swear if I hear "He hit the 3rd Impact!" on Raw one of these days I'll lose it.
I would mark out like never before.

If there is one thing that UpUpDownDown has taught me, it's that wrestling + anime and video games = awesome beyond words.

Okingjrr

So I saw Star Wars, and I understand why Pat's pissed. Not gonna say anything until later.

My advice is to find a way to see the movie before the roundtable/podcast goes up, cause they're gonna spoil the shit out of it.

convo

Totalbiscuit being totaly salty and jumping to conclusions so hard he hit the ceiling with Kojima's next game coming to PS4, which will also come to PC anyway. Makes Plague look like a good time in comparison.

joe2187

Banned
Im with Matt on the whole VR thing.

I dont care, I dont give a shit, just give me a controller and let me play the game.

Besides, this whole VR thing will just simply fade away as fast as 3D Displays did.

Totalbiscuit being totaly salty and jumping to conclusions so hard he hit the ceiling with Kojima's next game coming to PS4, which will also come to PC anyway. Makes Plague look like a good time in comparison.

Nothing more hilarious than port begging for a game that doesn't even exist yet.

Im with Matt on the whole VR thing.

I dont care, I dont give a shit, just give me a controller and let me play the game.

Besides, this whole VR thing will just simply fade away as fast as 3D Displays did.

VR doesn't feel as gimmicky as 3D was.

That being said, I can't really care about VR until I actually try it for myself. I don't care how many people spend how many hours preaching the greatness of VR. And hell no am I paying hundreds for something on word of mouth.

convo

Nothing more hilarious than port begging for a game that doesn't even exist yet.

Still, he has cancer and that is miserable, so i don't see why this could be worth blowing a casket over anymore when he has bigger problems to deal with instead of this nothing.

Laputa_94

So I saw Star Wars, and I understand why Pat's pissed. Not gonna say anything until later.

My advice is to find a way to see the movie before the roundtable/podcast goes up, cause they're gonna spoil the shit out of it.

Thats a pretty good point I'll probably avoid the podcast, since they tend to reveal a bit too much about films.

Anung

Un Rama

I don't think I'll be able to see it till late Christmas early New Year unfortunately. Going to be borderline impossible to avoid spoilers until then.

I just hope the guys mark the spoilers appropriately in the podcast and don't talk about it outside of that without warning the viewer as much. Plus gag matt as his dancing around spoilers game is weak.

MrHoot

I was planning to see the movie in two weeks but instead will be going tomorrow (thanks to a friend...and an early afternoon non-3d screening). I'll be seeing it multiple times anyway I guess.

Also I'm kinda like Matt regarding to VR: It seems more like a gimmick but there hasn't been THE game for me that makes me want to get that piece of tech other than just for a curiosity to show friends. RIGS looks probably the nicest at this point. And i'm looking forward to Ace Combat 7. But there's a bunch of stuff that is mostly on-rails ride or one-time things.

There's the suggestion that Kojima's next game might be for the PSVR which would definitively push me over the edge

I'm glad I don''t care if I get spoiled. Makes life easier and I don't even have to worry about finding stuff less enjoyable, despite that supposedly being the point.

Anyways, I picked up a ps4 today since I could not pass up the $50 price drop. With that and the 3ds I picked up earlier this month I have joined the current console generation... which is weird after having skip the entire ps3/360 one. Now to wait for person 5 to come out because I think that might be the only reason I bought it.

convo

A, uh... a gasket, convo. Blowing a gasket.

Well i suck at languages in general, guess i have to live with that.No edits for me.

Do people actually believe this Kojima deal is just a elaborate kickstarter campaign? Austin from giant bomb and maybe some other posters think that would still happen.
I mean he got a deal with sony now so why would they need that now? A project from them is certain to make money, any other publisher wouldn't have turned them down either. I mean i believe this is a bigger get for Sony than the Shenmue thing by several magnitudes. They don't need crowdfunding now, they already seem to have started working on this new project, no need to wait for money to arrive.
edit: Austin wrote that before the deal was announced, but still Kojima is a guy who is able to get deals from bigger publishers if he wants to.

Do people actually believe this Kojima deal is just a elaborate kickstarter campaign? Austin from giant bomb and maybe some other posters think that would still happen.
I mean he got a deal with sony now so why would they need that now? A project from them is certain to make money, any other publisher wouldn't have turned them down either. I mean i believe this is a bigger get for Sony than the Shenmue thing by several magnitudes. They don't need crowdfunding now, they already seem to have started working on this new project, no need to wait for money to arrive.

I think it's just salt. "Hurr hurr, probably just like Shenmue, enjoy your Kickstarter non-game Sony Ponies!"

After catching up with the podcast and hearing them talk about Jessica Jones, I decided to finally finish it. I had gotten through the first three episodes, got busy and never got back to it until now. Man, what a great series. David Tennant was fantastic as Kilgrave, who is now my favorite villain in the MCU. This also got me hyped for the Luke Cage series. I recommend anyone who hasn't watched it yet to give it a shot.

MrHoot

Kojima would be way too expensive for a kickstarter game anyway. I don't see him ever being able to cover even a third of the expenses he needs through a kickstarter

Anung

Un Rama
Kojima would be way too expensive for a kickstarter game anyway. I don't see him ever being able to cover even a third of the expenses he needs through a kickstarter

Yeah. People are dumb if they think this is a going to be a glorified kickstarter. First locking Kojima down is a huge get as well as a good will gesture to gamers. You could see how smug Andrew House was as they announced it. Second Koji is used to big budgets and bloated dev times. I can't imagine him and his team thriving under scaled back conditions. Although I think it'd be interesting and force them to be more creative. Plus Sony are known to accommodate this judging by many of their games.

I imagine they'll make one game with him, see what happens and then bring him into the SCE fold as a ND-esque team.

I'm just glad he's out from underneath Konami's boot. I think he botched MGSV horrendously and it'll be nice letting him move on and try new things. And Sony seem like the best place to make that happen.

Not only that, but he most likely needs access to Sony's engineers and libraries, considering the FOX Engine had to be left behind. As what is essentially a "startup" AAA there are enormous benefits to working with Sony.

To put it another way, look at a game like Infamous: Second Son and realize the company that made it rarely stands at more than 80 employees. How much of that game would have even been possible without first-party support?

MrHoot

Yeah. People are dumb if they think this is a going to be a glorified kickstarter. First locking Kojima down is a huge get as well as a good will gesture to gamers. You could see how smug Andrew House was as they announced it. Second Koji is used to big budgets and bloated dev times. I can't imagine him and his team thriving under scaled back conditions. Although I think it'd be interesting and force them to be more creative. Plus Sony are known to accommodate this judging by many of their games.

I imagine they'll make one game with him, see what happens and then bring him into the SCE fold as a ND-esque team.

I'm just glad he's out from underneath Konami's boot. I think he botched MGSV horrendously and it'll be nice letting him move on and try new things. And Sony seem like the best place to make that happen.

Actually, reading the IGN interview, my take is a bit different

Firstly he expressed he wanted to work on a smaller scale project (understandable, due to the current size of his team). I still don't think it will be any kind of kickstarter tho (I don't know why but it seems...unlike him. Plus he seems to be looking for some kind of structure that will help him move forward without too much stress so I don't think any kind of kickstarter will be the way). I'm guessing Sony will have a hand in the initial push of his company

I doubt he'll become a permanent resident at Sony tho. He said the long term plan is also to do movies, animation, digital arts and the like, while also making games. I think it's exciting though to see where the mind of this man will go. He really has grand ideas that I want to see come to fruition

Clearly the answer is to do it through Fig.

Gotta ask for those 3.3 millions

MrHoot

Whatever happens this is exciting for us and a great opportunity for him and his team :D

I think honestly this might be one of the top 3 biggest video games news of the year, if not bigger than a FF7 remake or shenmue 3. At least for me. I can't even imagine what he'll do now that he's off the leash, it's scary and exciting at the same time. I hope his beginnings will be smooth enough so he doesn't have to compromise too much

Top Bottom