• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Anung

Un Rama
A round table review would suit me personally as I'll be able to avoid it easier. I'm still going to be very cautious with next weeks podcast, mind.

Tcab96

Didn't consider that, but with it being a theme week leading up to release that's pretty likely actually.

Makes sense too. Isn't the "week of X" something they've done leading up to every movie release followed by the round table discussion? I forget they have round table discussions, but I'm glad they're there.

A round table review would suit me personally as I'll be able to avoid it easier. I'm still going to be very cautious with next weeks podcast, mind.
Considering that all the other movie weeks ended with a round table review, I'm almost positive there will be one.

I was going to say "poor Pat" because of that caster's curse moment on Bloodborne, but then he went right back to trying to full-charge R2's like three times in a row and failing, and the balance was restored.

MrHoot

I fucking love this part.

"YOU'RE WAY EASIER NOW"
Gets fucking 4 slashed straight up with Matt exploding in laughter

Xiraiya

Oh man, Woolie pulling out the guide in FFX.

Probably a really good idea, relying on Matt is going to get them no where really fast.

Woolie: Use Esuna to fix the poison..
Matt: I don't think it'll fix it...
Woolie: Esuna... heals status ailments
Matt: I thought you said Lancet

I'm still blown away we have Matt on controls in an RPG, in a few more parts the guide is going to make it so Woolie may as well play instead.

Now we just need Matt to take notice of every battle leveling up his party rather than ignoring it.

Oh man, Woolie pulling out the guide in FFX.

Probably a really good idea, relying on Matt is going to get them no where really fast.

Woolie: Use Esuna to fix the poison..
Matt: I don't think it'll fix it...
Woolie: Esuna... heals status ailments
Matt: I thought you said Lancet

I'm still blown away we have Matt on controls in an RPG, in a few more parts the guide is going to make it so Woolie may as well play instead.

this is basic rpg knowledge too
scrub enemies and already using the guide smh
i expect better of Matt
wha happun?

Xiraiya

this is basic rpg knowledge too
scrub enemies and already using the guide smh
i expect better of Matt
wha happun?
I'm not going to condemn them for using a guide because I rather they not get bogged down with no idea what to do and have to grind to fix their characters, and it's an FF game, using a guide in any FF game is pretty standard in my opinion as there's usually a good bunch of missable shit.
The problem is Matt is not the type to play RPGs to begin with and can barely stay focused in games that don't require nearly as much attention as an RPG. So him controlling the LP just seems like a blatantly horrible idea all around as he has this weird habit of not seeing things that are directly on screen.

I'm not sure if it's because he just plays without his glasses or if he's staring at his phone the whole time or what the deal is with him, he's notorious for it.

I don't judge them for not knowing things, any issues I have with them usually come from them actively not paying attention to things the game is trying to tell them or show them and then assuming the wrong thing. They don't have to be perfect, they just need to utilize some common sense and curiosity rather than being like "Oh it's probably x" and never trying to see if that's true or not and then yes ending up in 'whahappun' situations.

I'm not going to condemn them for using a guide because I rather they not get bogged down with no idea what to do and have to grind to fix their characters, and it's an FF game, using a guide in any FF game is pretty standard in my opinion as there's usually a good bunch of missable shit.
The problem is Matt is not the type to play RPGs to begin with and can barely stay focused in games that don't require nearly as much attention as an RPG. So him controlling the LP just seems like a blatantly horrible idea all around as he has this weird habit of not seeing things that are directly on screen.

I'm not sure if it's because he just plays without his glasses or if he's staring at his phone the whole time or what the deal is with him, he's notorious for it.

I don't judge them for not knowing things, any issues I have with them usually come from them actively not paying attention to things the game is trying to tell them or show them and then assuming the wrong thing. They don't have to be perfect, they just need to utilize some common sense and curiosity rather than being like "Oh it's probably x" and never trying to see if that's true or not and then yes ending up in 'whahappun' situations.
hes admitted to playing Tales games
TALES GAMES
those are not beginner level rpgs my friend
if its cause glasses then wear em thats what their for
dont handicap yourself cause ya dont wanna wear em
it could also be choice C: hes drunk

I don't blame them for breaking out the guide because Final Fantasy games at the time were designed to sell/be sold with the guide. FFX isn't as egregious about is as 12 was, but basically every game post-7 had a bunch of dumb "secrets" that players were obscenely unlikely to find without foreknowledge, just to sell the guides.

A different time, you know? Before the internet made guides more of a collector's item.

I don't blame them for breaking out the guide because Final Fantasy games at the time were designed to sell/be sold with the guide. FFX isn't as egregious about is as 12 was, but basically every game post-7 had a bunch of dumb "secrets" that players were obscenely unlikely to find without foreknowledge, just to sell the guides.

A different time, you know? Before the internet made guides more of a collector's item.

I'd say it started with FF6 rather than post-FF7

I'd say it started with FF6 rather than post-FF7

I think with FF6 it was more of an accident. Back then the guides were still Nintendo Power guides, right? There wasn't really a vested interest from Square themselves in pushing them.

Even with FF7, I don't think they had actually worked out a "mutually beneficial arrangement" with Brady Games and GameStop (or then, EB Games), it was just mostly coincidental. FF8 was the first one I remember them really pushing the Brady Games sale alongside the release of the game itself, with the guide pre-written for simultaneous release and the whole shebang.

Speaking of FF6, picking up the Steam version soon. Any tips for first timer on that one?

And no, I don't care that the version on Steam has "shitty sprites"

Skrams

Brennan pls
Knee* because that's totally what it has to be for wrestling.
Besides, this whole VR thing will just simply fade away as fast as 3D Displays did.
Considering its staying power for the last few years compared to 3D displays, nah.
Do people actually believe this Kojima deal is just a elaborate kickstarter campaign?
I didn't know people thought this, but I understand why they think it considering all the recent big names starting kickstarter campaigns. I don't think it'll happen considering Kojima's usual time and budget. I also don't imagine they'd announce it like this and then put a kickstarter up later. I think it would be weird to not announce it on a stage at this point too which won't be possible for a few months. A few months seems like too much downtime if they wanted to wait on a kickstarter.

So yeah, it's most likely not a thing.
hes admitted to playing Tales games
TALES GAMES
those are not beginner level rpgs my friend
Not really sure about that. Tales of Symphonia was pretty mainstreamish as far as I remember at the time. I haven't played the Tales games, but I've talked to some average nerds who really liked Tales of Symphonia on their Gamecube.

Matt just seems to be being Matt as far as everyone makes it seem. Barely paying attention to the game he's playing, misreading, mishearing, or whatever it is.

Tcab96

I fucking love this part.

"YOU'RE WAY EASIER NOW"
Gets fucking 4 slashed straight up with Matt exploding in laughter

I really hope the three man format continues for Souls games, if they even do a playthrough of Dark Souls 3, that is.

I love having Matt on.

Speaking of FF6, picking up the Steam version soon. Any tips for first timer on that one?

And no, I don't care that the version on Steam has "shitty sprites"
It's a shame that the sprites are so bad, since the rest of the game is improved from the original.
Have fun tho
I really hope the three man format continues for Souls games, if they even do a playthrough of Dark Souls 3, that is.

I love having Matt on.
This is the first time I'm genuinely enjoying seeing a Souls game on the channel, so if they do it, I hope they do it this way.

Don't bother grinding for levels until you get Espers and Sabin is more of a black mage than at first glance

If you have experience with rpgs, the game is honestly going to be a such cake walk that none of this stuff will matter(it was my first rpg i beat and i had no idea what i was doing and still beat it... eventually). I know i'd much rather use Sabin's blitz ability then use him as caster.

One hint I will throw out there though(assuming I recall this one correctly), is when the leader of the 'rebel alliance'(that's not the name but I'm sure you will figure out how i am talking about) asks you to join them, refuse until he stops asking and you will get one of the cooler(and more useful) relics much earlier then usual.

If you have experience with rpgs, the game is honestly going to be a such cake walk that none of this stuff will matter(it was my first rpg i beat and i had no idea what i was doing and still beat it... eventually). I know i'd much rather use Sabin's blitz ability then use him as caster.

All of Sabin's blitz moves use the Magic stat rather than Strength

Well I just picked up FFX HD. Time to catch up and play along with the LP(and completley outpace it). It's been a long time since I've played FFX, and I've never played X-2 so I'm looking forward to trying that out too. One question though, what's the expert sphere grid?

Well I just picked up FFX HD. Time to catch up and play along with the LP(and completley outpace it). It's been a long time since I've played FFX, and I've never played X-2 so I'm looking forward to trying that out too. One question though, what's the expert sphere grid?

There's less of a closed path for a party member to follow, as there are more branches into the other paths available sooner. Lulu can spec into mid level White Magic early on for example. There's less preset sphere nodes as well so you can customise it more easily.

There's less of a closed path for a party member to follow, as there are more branches into the other paths available sooner. Lulu can spec into mid level White Magic early on for example. There's less preset sphere nodes as well so you can customise it more easily.

Thx, I'll definitely do the expert grid then. Time to sink in the hours during the holidays.

Pat going after the defenseless mage like a coward and then getting stabbed in the back while yelling "NO! NO!" was priceless.

Also love Woolie going "bloody crossss", I thought the same exact thing, saw that episode just a few days ago.

I eagerly anticipate Matt saying "I'm not going to get into spoilers but allow me to explain an entire scene from the movie in great detail and give obvious hints to huge plot points". When Woolie or pat call him out on this he will call people who care about spoilers babies, and should have seen the biggest and most sold out movie of the year if they really cared.

I eagerly anticipate Matt saying "I'm not going to get into spoilers but allow me to explain an entire scene from the movie in great detail and give obvious hints to huge plot points". When Woolie or pat call him out on this he will call people who care about spoilers babies, and should have seen the biggest and most sold out movie of the year if they really cared.

It's scary how accurate this scenario would probably be.

I'm glad I'm watching it this weekend. I don't want to get caught off guard because Matt suddenly does this highly realistic situation.

Laputa_94

Whenever I think of Matt spoiling stuff I look back to when he just talked about a characters death in the AVGN movie right when it came out. I wasn't really anticipating the movie, but god damn.

Whenever I think of Matt spoiling stuff I look back to when he just talked about a characters death in the AVGN movie right when it came out. I wasn't really anticipating the movie, but god damn.

It wasn't that important right....? It was a comedy so spoilers don't really matter right....

MrHoot

I saw star wars. It was gud. Like lot's of gud. Won't say more.

Is it weird that i'm almost as if not more excited for the upcoming RLM/Plinkett review of it

Anung

Un Rama

Whenever Matt mentions a film he's watched on the podcast I usually just skip forward 1 minute. Which is a shame as everything he recommends is usually right up my alley. Dude can't seem to separate telling us what a film is like and telling us everything/major things about it.

Wow, for constantly singing its praises Pat sure knows nothing about JK2.
Yes, you can go into 3rd person anytime you want. Its called the P key. Or maybe check controls? Use common sense? I dunno.

Yes I'm salt

EDIT: Also, R is skip cutscene. Yeah, that obscure key that no PC games ever use.
EDIT: And those hooded guys ARE the Reborn. The "cortosis" guys are called Shadow Troopers.
EDIT the Final: And he never even changed saber styles? Fucking hell...

Skrams

Wow, for constantly singing its praises Pat sure knows nothing about JK2.
It's almost like all Pat knows or remembers about the game is g_saberrealisticcombat 1. That's pretty much the only reason he ever brings it up.
I'm going to be disappointed if Woolie isn't forced to play The Force Unleashed
You would think it would be perfect for an LP at this point considering their testing with it. Maybe he'll get it all out with one of this weeks episodes anyway.
Bryan Hawk is the greatest villain of all time

I've never seen an anime try so hard to make you hate a villain.
God, that whole fight is the most tiring thing in the best way. I remember it feeling like it went on forever and it was amazing for it.

Laputa_94

You would think it would be perfect for an LP at this point considering their testing with it. Maybe he'll get it all out with one of this weeks episodes anyway.

I would love an LP of this since I played the game a ton years ago and even got the platinum, not to mention Woolies pain.

Sawamura is a bit of a shit as well. Hawk is just American. :p
I'm not there yet, but I can gather that he's gonna be a dick from the intro alone.
God, that whole fight is the most tiring thing in the best way. I remember it feeling like it went on forever and it was amazing for it.
It was amazing, the show could've ended there honestly, I don't know how they're going to top that amazing fight.

Top Bottom