• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matsukaze

FFX Part 7 - More of the same, basically.

I'm glad Matt remembered about equipping new items, so that's good! Plus, his idea for when he'll advance the sphere grid sounds reasonable. On the other hand, I'm not keen on Woolie discouraging Matt from exploring ("Just go straight!"), and they might be forming a habit jumping straight to the guide to see what line-up is suggested for a (mini-)boss.

Otherwise, not too much to talk about.

FFX pt7: I don't know how I feel about them using a guide for mini-bosses, let alone actual bosses. I guess it helps that they don't get stuck, but man I wanted to see them think through fights. It kinda hindered them too, since Wakka got no xp.

Literally no issue with it at all. Otherwise the LP would be 100+ parts long and no one wants to see them bumble through fights when Matt can barely handle the Sphere Grid as is.

FFX Part 7 - More of the same, basically.

I'm glad Matt remembered about equipping new items, so that's good! Plus, his idea for when he'll advance the sphere grid sounds reasonable. On the other hand, I'm not keen on Woolie discouraging Matt from exploring ("Just go straight!"), and they might be forming a habit jumping straight to the guide to see what line-up is suggested for a (mini-)boss.

Explore what? The Sphere Grid at the point of the game they're at is a straight line that you can't do anything extra on. The amount of time spent there "thinking" about what to do drives me nuts because there's only one thing you CAN do.

MrHoot

FFX pt7: I don't know how I feel about them using a guide for mini-bosses, let alone actual bosses. I guess it helps that they don't get stuck, but man I wanted to see them think through fights. It kinda hindered them too, since Wakka got no xp.

In doubt, i'd rather them use guides to be fair. I think a steady flow through the game is better than awkward stumbling, even if it might cheapen some stuff but honestly for a long RPG, it's not the most important thing

Matsukaze

Explore what? The Sphere Grid at the point of the game they're at is a straight line that you can't do anything extra on. The amount of time spent there "thinking" about what to do drives me nuts because there's only one thing you CAN do.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the end of the video, when Matt starts heading down one of the side paths in the forest and Woolie tells him to just go straight because that's where the red icon is indicating. (Then he tells him to stop and talk to the NPC as Matt is in the process of doing what he's told).

One instance isn't a big deal, but if they don't explore in the future, they'll miss out on a bunch of things within easy reach.

Gestahl

Doesn't this game almost play itself til the operation whatever boss on mushroom road??? Not sure if using a guide is really saving time this early in

Anung

Un Rama
Doesn't this game almost play itself til the operation whatever boss on mushroom road??? Not sure if using a guide is really saving time this early in

I was going to say the same thing. The game is fairly linear and it doesn't start getting complex for a good while. I see the flip side of the coin where the Zaibatsu don't want anything hindering them or we might get another Dagonronbma on our hands...and nobody wants that.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I was going to say the same thing. The game is fairly linear and it doesn't start getting complex for a good while. I see the flip side of the coin where the Zaibatsu don't want anything hindering them or we might get another Dagonronbma on our hands...and nobody wants that.
You mean nuzlock 2.0?

After part 7 of FFX I think I'm dropping out. Because holy hell is it unbearable. I've never played FFX but I think I have a better understanding of the combat than Matt does. Hell Woolie even does.

Anung

Un Rama
After part 7 of FFX I think I'm dropping out. Because holy hell is it unbearable. I've never played FFX but I think I have a better understanding of the combat than Matt does. Hell Woolie even does.

I honestly don't know whats not to get. As turn based JRPG's go its pretty straight forward. Same when Matt refers to the sphere grid as complex. wutttt? You pick a direction for a character see if the spheres you want are there like Black magic stuff for lulu (which are pretty hard to miss anyway) then go that direction. They seem to be making it harder on themselves.

But yeah, I'm giving it to part 10 then I'm out.

EDIT: I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they make LP decisions. Hearing how they talk it out and make choices. It'd be fascinating.

Nazo

I think I'm going to have to drop out of the FFX playthorugh too. I have literally no clue what the hell's going on with the battle system or the sphere grid. This wouldn't be so bad but
Matt and Woolie seem just as confused as I am, if not more so. I might watch it all later once they've beaten the game but I seriously don't care about the story all that much so I'm not sure.

Literally no issue with it at all. Otherwise the LP would be 100+ parts long and no one wants to see them bumble through fights when Matt can barely handle the Sphere Grid as is.

Depends what you mean. Matt's bumbling through the gameplay/leveling isn't going away anytime soon, even with the guide. That's just something you hope works itself out and he gets better. At least Woolie can notice gameplay things, but Matt skipped the Sphere Grid, so he can't help there. Do you then not expect them to die at all on boss fights? They likely still will, and they'll likely not edit that out, which then begs the question of what was the point. It's like going into a SoulsBorne boss fight the FIRST time and knowing the boss' gimmick/strategy/preparation beforehand. That's good? I wanted to see them tackle fights legit, now I barely care.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the end of the video, when Matt starts heading down one of the side paths in the forest and Woolie tells him to just go straight because that's where the red icon is indicating. (Then he tells him to stop and talk to the NPC as Matt is in the process of doing what he's told).

One instance isn't a big deal, but if they don't explore in the future, they'll miss out on a bunch of things within easy reach.

Woolie was using the guide to tell Matt to get that specific treasure chest. That's why he was strict about going that way. I don't mind them using a guide for treasure chests/al bhed primers/cloister trials/Rikku's overdrive. Or if they're stuck at a boss fight. But before even trying the boss fight? I just come away thinking lame.

I'll watch a 100 part LP if it's something interesting enough. I watched Beaglerush do 100+ episodes of XCOM, and most of those are twice as long or longer than a SBF episode.

I don't think I'd watch 100 episodes of Matt and Woolie playing FFX, though.
Maybe Pat and Liam playing FFXIV.

Skrams

EDIT: I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they make LP decisions. Hearing how they talk it out and make choices. It'd be fascinating.
Every time they mention how an LP game was chosen it seems to be as simple as, "What about thing?" and then someone agrees. Wolfenstein was chosen because Matt held up some games and Pat chose one. Sometimes it's just been them talking while getting food or "Woah, you never played SMRPG and I never played SMRPG?! Let's LP it!" I'd love to hear the more in depth talks about LPable games, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't go that deep. You would think it would when a game like FFX is suggested for an LP that someone would say that the LP will take 3+ months to remind them what they're getting into, but I guess they didn't care. Having a guide will make the game a breeze just like Nuzlocke right?

Difference is that nuzlocke never even needed a guide and using a guide in the first place went against the entire point of a nuzlocke run. Nuzlocke runs are supposed to raise the stakes of a Pokemon game because they're usually too easy but instead they chose to be the hugest cowards you'll ever see and grind their asses off everywhere, which isn't even needed in a regular run.

Pro let was that Nuzlocke runs are usually meant for experienced players that wanted a challenge, I'm sure Pokemon looks like an ez kids game to some but the best friends clearly showed how big the difference was between them and experienced players.

Xiraiya

Why I Like The Thing: Bloodborne Video

You know Matt, I think we all well and truly get that you like crazy Cthulhu stuff but just don't have the attention span to play through it (Though he might have finished the base game, I was under the impression he didn't), it doesn't need to be clarified, this all well known.
The video should have been a round table with Pat, Matt and Woolie discussing Bloodborne, would have been much more interesting.

I actually thought it was going to be Pat doing a look back over his experience playing with the game.

Anung

Un Rama
Every time they mention how an LP game was chosen it seems to be as simple as, "What about thing?" and then someone agrees. Wolfenstein was chosen because Matt held up some games and Pat chose one. Sometimes it's just been them talking while getting food or "Woah, you never played SMRPG and I never played SMRPG?! Let's LP it!" I'd love to hear the more in depth talks about LPable games, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't go that deep. You would think it would when a game like FFX is suggested for an LP that someone would say that the LP will take 3+ months to remind them what they're getting into, but I guess they didn't care. Having a guide will make the game a breeze just like Nuzlocke right?

I'd just like to think there was more to it than that. Though obviously the last few months throws a wrench in my argument. It just goes to show how much needless hassle and misguided LP's we could have been saved if they maybe did think about it more thoroughly. I'm no pro-LP'er but you could tell that maybe FFX would be a bad idea and they'd be locked down hard.

Then again we all said this a few months back.

Well in a way, the RedLetterMedia one came out !
https://youtu.be/AvsiJppCdmk

I've been looking forward to this almost as much as the film itself. I've not seen it yet though D:

Xiraiya

I'd just like to think there was more to it than that. Though obviously the last few months throws a wrench in my argument. It just goes to show how much needless hassle and misguided LP's we could have been saved if they maybe did think about it more thoroughly. I'm no pro-LP'er but you could tell that maybe FFX would be a bad idea and they'd be locked down hard.

Then again we all said this a few months back.
There has rarely ever been more to it than that.

I think FFX is fine as a game choice. I'm just surprised anyone agreed to having Matt on controls I mean think about this, you have a 20-40 hour JRPG LP with Matt on controls of all people.
We know his history, they know his history surely, I just don't see how this can end well for anyone involved, I know he likes FFX and I get that, but the man has limits that are generally reached extremely quickly.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after they proved the kinect was still racist

I remember when Microsoft came to DigiPen and was giving people free copies of games to participate in a data-gathering procedure where they "trained" the Kinect to recognize their faces and expressions (basically they just wanted a broader sample group), and I couldn't help but think, "There are like four black people in this building. Maybe you should be at UW?"

Liam: "One Punch Man gets bad after this arc"

nah dude, nah

Having recently started reading it myself, yeah, he's so wrong it's not even funny.

To be fair though he didn't say it was bad, just not as good. I still think he's completely wrong but I just want to clarify that.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Liam: "One Punch Man gets bad after this arc"

nah dude, nah

He's kind of right depending on what you read. The Webcomic finished the arc, and holy shit does it get crazy! But Mura is still in the set up for a lot of these cool elements, and he's kinda dragging his feet with silly things like character development. It'll be awhile before the real shit starts in glorious detail.

Jintor

I suppose Murata is dragging his feet, if you can call "drawing an absolutely insane bunch of monsters wrecking shop" "dragging his feet". Like, holy shit.

the ONE version definitely goes above and beyond though imho

Man, I wish the Zaibatsu or RLM was more familiar with the EU, if only because it would be interesting to see if someone who's very familiar with the EU would shit on The Force Awakens for rehashing one of the most overused EU plots.

finally saw Star Wars
im gonna see Star Wars again in Theatres as soon as possible(watched it via other means to avoid spoilers)
what ive wanted to happen for years is finally gonna happen
major spoiler for movie
A LEAD FEMALE JEDI MAIN CHARACTER
god i cant wait till the next episode comes the series has truly had its awakening
also Platinum Character action game ASAP please

Top Bottom