• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

I've been so used to the old mic used for the podcast that listening to the new mic here with the chill nature of the Christmas Cast is freaking me the fuck out.

TFA was pretty underwhelming. Felt like watching JJ Abrams unoriginal fan fiction.

And the Best Friends are filthy liars. I wanted to leave the theater with the amount of "Hey, you remember the original trilogy?" moments there were.

Neol

It was definitely overhyped.

Overall though it was a good movie and a good introduction for the upcoming trilogy.

Watching Pat whiff R2's and having Woolie and Matt laugh at him is frustrating and great. That combined with reading Plagues salty comments just make the lp even better.

So much this. When I say, "Oh god, I can't believe Pat's doing the R2 again!" I don't mean, "I can't watch Pat play because he's not leet enough for me," what I mean is, "Oh god if Pat finds a way to launch himself off a cliff failing a charged R2 I'm going to pee myself laughing too much."

If I wanted to watch someone just be way too good at the game, I'd obviously watch Pewdiepie.

Edit: Random Podcast answers:

Best Fighting Game Santa: Chang (KOF) with Choi as an elf.
Best Dysfunctional Anime Family for Christmas: Kill-La-Kill (the Kiryuins or the Mankanshokus would both be pretty spectacular, and when Mako and Ryuko get married they can have a shared Christmas)
Worst Status Effect in RPGs: Dark Souls "Curse" (Petrification)

That was a great episode! Laughed my ass off. The Old Hunters continues to be the best thing on the channel by a wide margin. I wish I could change my PS4 tag to 'The Final God'. Some great R2 flubs as well.

EDIT: This episode is the perfect example of jokes coming naturally (The Last Boss, Mr snippy snip) instead of the forced shitty jokes of FFX.

The Final Apocalypse
Ragnarok Reborn
End of Creation
The Last God

Imagine a game made up of all final bosses lol.

So I reached the end of the podcast and Pats talking about Yakuza 5 and I start thinking how much I'd love to play that, then it occurs to me I just bought a fucking ps4 last week. Money is kind of tight because of that right now, but now I might actually play that thing before p5 comes out(well, actually, after hearing about digimon cyber sleuth coming to ps4 I'm hoping to pick that up, but thats not till February).

Also, thank you Pat for bring up some reasonable points about spoilers. Liam was sounding kinda crazy though. I think they even brought up that study I posted a while back during the discussion. IDK maybe it was another one, I'm not about to go through the podcast again to figure it out(though if it is different I wouldn't mind checking that out).

Anung

Un Rama
Also, thank you Pat for bring up some reasonable points about spoilers. Liam was sounding kinda crazy though. I think they even brought up that study I posted a while back during the discussion. IDK maybe it was another one, I'm not about to go through the podcast again to figure it out(though if it is different I wouldn't mind checking that out).

What were they saying? Not the spoilers obviously but the jist of the conversation about spoilers?

They were talking about reasonable statutes of limitations on spoilers. Pat basically says: "When the sequel is released, spoilers on the original are fair game, because people can't reasonably talk about the sequel and their expectations for it without spoiling the original."

Liam argues that if it's a series, you should have to wait until two years after the end of the series, at which point everyone looks at him sadly and pretends to agree, because now that his memory card is corrupted we know he's going to have to go into a home soon.

They were talking about reasonable statutes of limitations on spoilers. Pat basically says: "When the sequel is released, spoilers on the original are fair game, because people can't reasonably talk about the sequel and their expectations for it without spoiling the original."

Liam argues that if it's a series, you should have to wait until two years after the end of the series, at which point everyone looks at him sadly and pretends to agree, because now that his memory card is corrupted we know he's going to have to go into a home soon.

Pretty much. They do continue a bit though. Pat doesn't care anymore because it doesn't really matter and Liam believes its the only one true way to enjoy something(although as it goes on they admit this is something that applies more to certain types of stories/games/whatever then others) and Woolie puts his hands up in the air or something. Damn my memory is shit.

Oh right, woolie brought up how hearing the megalomania song before reaching it in undertale is somehow missing 'the moment' or something. But having listened to a different version of that song for years before UT even had a KS, I gotta say it was still a hype moment for me when I reached it(i... actually still need to beat it).

Anung

Un Rama
Holy cow the audio quality is blissful :O As someone who has been moaning about this for a while I'm super happy. Hopefully it'll help up them step up their game.

Also no Matt \o/ Meaning I can listen without the fear of random spoilers.

No Matt was nice for the sake of a sedate, relaxing holiday friendcast. However... it really, really lacks energy and excitement. Hope he's back next week.

You just can't appreciate the subtly of the high quality audio.

Actually this is the perfect time for Woolie to have updated the mics, because he's actually got a really great voice for this kind of quiet, "fire-side chat" tone of podcast. There's no denying that.

I just need the hype back once the holiday is over.

Skrams

Sitting on a plane readying for a 7 hour plane ride to Anchorage. Listened to 60 minutes of the podcast from Kentucky to Chicago. Listening in public always makes me laugh harder inside because it just turns to violent shaking which in turn makes me laugh more. Liam's smacks and the inevibilty of death are too good. God these mics are so nice too.

MrHoot

Gonna listen to the podcast in a bit while drawing something new. By the way should I just start doing fan art for the zaibatsu ? I got good echoes for the Nier + DMC fusion and something else I did with a hunter.

I quite enjoy the FF X playthrough to be honest, jokes and all. To be fair i've never played FFX so i don't know the nooks and crannies of it. But maybe it's telling that, as an unitiated, i'm not too miffed by some of the stuff they might miss. It's a fairly relaxed LP.

Even old blood, which is maybe a bit more background noise is still pretty nice (mostly the fault of the game really than Matt or Pat, and they do a good job commenting). Also the last part on vessel as yet another's "Pat's balls on stream" moment at the end which had me laughing loud.

Also vessel spoilers for old hunter 8 (they're dishing them out fast these days after star wars it seems)

It's a "Pat stares at" segment ! And the cool thing is that he goes more in details and also experiments with weapons, like the moonlight which is my personal favourite at the moment

explodet

The next friendcast will be 3 hours of nothing but lipsmacking.
No news, no letters, just four dudes eating in front of the new mics.

There's a pretty good Square Enix humble bundle going on now. Managed to snag The Last Remnant, Life is Strange ep 1, and FFXIV (Non Steam version) for less than $4. Didn't realize it was the non steam version of FFXIV at first, but from what I understand there's no real difference.

the storys soooo good
after heavensward though it gets really boring
i had some months left that i wasted but playing it was worth it alone for the story

I've been so used to the old mic used for the podcast that listening to the new mic here with the chill nature of the Christmas Cast is freaking me the fuck out.
This!! Omg what did you guys do?!?!
pvBJ1FZ.jpg

I DON'T LIKE IT! I DON'T LIKE IT!!

Edzi

Honestly don't bother with FF14 right now. They've been making so many questionable decisions lately that even I've all but quit.

the storys soooo good
after heavensward though it gets really boring
i had some months left that i wasted but playing it was worth it alone for the story

I actually don't know if I'll play enough to warrant buying Heavensward, but I mainly just want to play through the main story since it's been hyped up so much.

I actually don't know if I'll play enough to warrant buying Heavensward, but I mainly just want to play through the main story since it's been hyped up so much.

Unfortunate. The Heavensward story is better then the main one(the stuff pre 3.1 at least. after that... there isn't much to even comment on yet).

I'm with Pat on spoilers, but he's wrong on something like Virtue's Last Reward.
If a game relies on its story, you should never spoil it. It'd be like openly talking about Danganronpa spoilers before 2, just don't.

Seriously the ambiance in this podcast because of the higher quality is weird. The quiet is really quiet.

Anung

Un Rama
Seriously the ambiance in this podcast because of the higher quality is weird. The quiet is really quiet.

I love the silent bits. Makes it less of a wall of sound. It'll be interesting to see when Matts back how it handles them talking over each other and matt yelling.

Edzi

Unfortunate. The Heavensward story is better then the main one(the stuff pre 3.1 at least. after that... there isn't much to even comment on yet).

I might pick it up if I end up enjoying the base game. I've never played an MMO before, so I'm not sure what I'll think.

Now I just have to find some people to play with.

I might pick it up if I end up enjoying the base game. I've never played an MMO before, so I'm not sure what I'll think.

Now I just have to find some people to play with.

The Stormfeelers is a pretty decent fc, although if you are looking for someone to party with to do the story mission... that isn't really needed(in fact, many fights require you to be alone) except in dungeons where you can just join with randos using the duty finder(although often times you might find someone willing to help you in our fc). Personally, I don't like how easy it is to solo(partying is almost a detriment in a lot of cases. this could be fixed by letting you do higher level quests I think, but no... can you tell I miss the good ol' days of ffxi?), but hey, that's mmos now.

Edzi

The Stormfeelers is a pretty decent fc, although if you are looking for someone to party with to do the story mission... that isn't really needed(in fact, many fights require you to be alone) except in dungeons where you can just join with randos using the duty finder(although often times you might find someone willing to help you in our fc). Personally, I don't like how easy it is to solo(partying is almost a detriment in a lot of cases. this could be fixed by letting you do higher level quests I think, but no... can you tell I miss the good ol' days of ffxi?), but hey, that's mmos now.

Is the Stormfeelers group still open/accepting members? I thought I heard that it was full, but if it's not it might be cool to have access to a bunch of SBF fans that could help out.

Squishy3

Is the Stormfeelers group still open/accepting members? I thought I heard that it was full, but if it's not it might be cool to have access to a bunch of SBF fans that could help out.
Shouldn't be full, just do a blank player search and find someone with the Storm tag -> right click their name and view free company (make sure it's stormfeelers, there's another FC with the Storm tag called Aetherstorm) and submit an application. (probably include some 2BF reference in it so they know you're a fan)

If for whatever reason your application does get denied, just go post on r/stormfeelers and someone will sort you out.

Well I'll be, there's a thing on Vessel.

Not really though :p

Whole crew on the new mic setup though. Not sure if Matt is sitting far away but he's really tough to hear.

I was looking back at some old lps and realized I never watched The Fall. Is it any good? And how about the game? It's on sale and I need to decide between it or Citizens of Earth.

I was looking back at some old lps and realized I never watched The Fall. Is it any good? And how about the game? It's on sale and I need to decide between it or Citizens of Earth.

It's an interesting game but the last couple parts are potato quality. Very similar to the end of Guacamelee.

Neol

Can't really say much about Citizens of Earth but I say The Fall is good enough for a playthrough. Got it cheap through the Nintendo humble bundle tho so I got my money's worth.

I decided to wait on The Fall. The Citizens of Earth deal is better, with it being $3 instead of $15, and The Fall being $4 instead of $10. I'll pick it up eventually, though.

Xiraiya

Pat going on about the weapon being bullshit in Bloodborne, enemy jumps out of range and starts shooting the shit out of him.
I mean, it's good clearly, but everytime you go to say it's bullshit or broken or stunlocks, someone gets out of it and you take huge damage, so it's really not that Bullshit at all, just useful.

If he was actually successfully locking people into corners and taking no damage and putting in zero effort, then yeah, I'd agree, but otherwise they get out of the stunlock easily enough.

Top Bottom