• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Skrams

You would think they would turn up the sound for the musical dance section of the game instead of it being dead silent. And yeah, they should of done I'm Han Solo.

Liam: "One Punch Man gets bad after this arc"

nah dude, nah

Having recently started reading it myself, yeah, he's so wrong it's not even funny.

To be fair though he didn't say it was bad, just not as good. I still think he's completely wrong but I just want to clarify that.

He's kind of right depending on what you read. The Webcomic finished the arc, and holy shit does it get crazy! But Mura is still in the set up for a lot of these cool elements, and he's kinda dragging his feet with silly things like character development. It'll be awhile before the real shit starts in glorious detail.

He clarified on the reddit that he only read the official translations stuff. So Volume 8 which ends with 5 pages of tease for the current Murata arc. Understandable that he wouldn't think it's as good since Volume 8 doesn't have much direction going on in it besides King's story. Still the current Murata arc thoughhhhh, so goooood.

Jintor

Even under those caveats, it's a kinda silly thing to say. Like "Oh man, after the climax of this arc, the start of the next one isn't as exciting as that!"

well, i mean, yeah dude

oh well, we're all in for a treat in two-three years i guess

No Pat, please... not the charged R2 again.

I saw him say on the subreddit that it worked for him in the base game, obviously that's enough of an excuse to never adapt to enemies that it has proven not to work on. I know Pat's smarter than to willfully bash his head against the wall but I think he's being stubborn and really wants to prove that he's right.

Matsukaze

The Old Hunters Part 6 - Best ongoing LP remains best ongoing LP. I sorta wish they gave the Party Cave another shot just to see how Pat fared, but it's fine. I am itching to see them fight
Maria

I saw him say on the subreddit that it worked for him in the base game, obviously that's enough of an excuse to never adapt to enemies that it has proven not to work on. I know Pat's smarter than to willfully bash his head against the wall but I think he's being stubborn and really wants to prove that he's right.

It was worth it for the moment when he finally gets in a position where the stab is perfect, and he knows it, and... abandons that position at the first sign of a threat, backing himself into a corner and flailing madly.

Thrusting redeemed!

Xiraiya

THAT'S NO EXCUSE, I don't care if it "worked" at one point, it's not working now.

Goddammit, Pat, It works like 3 out of 10 times, stop being stupid, you rarely use it at the right time anyway
I get the strategy he's going for, but he times it so poorly when a regular hit would be much quicker and also stagger enemies just as effectively AND be so much safer, it's like fuck.
Some of the deaths in Old Hunters are BECAUSE he insists on using that stab at the worst moment imaginable.

I know he's better than that, it bothers me neither Matt or Woolie are like "What are you doing, this always ends badly"

Anung

Un Rama
I can sorta see where he's coming from. He's used Ludwig's Easy Mode a lot and knows the R2 can do some mad damage. Plus if they use other weapons (they'll need to upgrade) it might make the game harder (and less straight-forward?) and risk pissing the viewer off. But as a viewer watching him flub R2's and rely on Luwig's Boring Mode is lame as shit and the DLC weapons are rad and worth actually experimenting with.

Pat getting R2'd out the park by that hunter has been the highlight of the LP.

Xiraiya

I can sorta see where he's coming from. He's used Ludwig's Easy Mode a lot and knows the R2 can do some mad damage. Plus if they use other weapons (they'll need to upgrade) it might make the game harder (and less straight-forward?) and risk pissing the viewer off. But as a viewer watching him flub R2's and rely on Luwig's Boring Mode is lame as shit and the DLC weapons are rad and worth actually experimenting with.

Pat getting R2'd out the park by that hunter has been the highlight of the LP.
I'd rather he play it safe with regular hits, the stab's damage isn't really much more impressive than what a few regular consecutive swings would produce while being much safer.

That one Hunter who used his own tactic against him AND Better than him was incredible.

I'd rather he play it safe with regular hits, the stab's damage isn't really much more impressive than what a few regular consecutive swings would produce while being much safer.

That one Hunter who used his own tactic against him AND Better than him was incredible.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing you get so upset about things you often reprimand me for.

Xiraiya

Nothing makes me happier than seeing you get so upset about things you often reprimand me for.
You keep saying this but we get annoyed over completely different things, I don't understand why you keep thinking that.

Them knowing things ahead of time =/= Pat insisting on using poor tactics.

I need to mention that it does not actually bother me that Pat insists on playing this way, if he wants to play this way that's his choice, that's the beauty of video games, I'm just saying I don't agree with it. Same with his awful reloading in Wolfenstein, it's actually pretty funny when he reloads both his shotguns while running out in the open. Also there was an example in the last video in which he should've switched to his handgun but insisted on waiting on his gun to reload, killing him, and then they both blame the gun lol.

aly

Watching Pat whiff R2's and having Woolie and Matt laugh at him is frustrating and great. That combined with reading Plagues salty comments just make the lp even better.

Anung

Un Rama
That was a great episode! Laughed my ass off. The Old Hunters continues to be the best thing on the channel by a wide margin. I wish I could change my PS4 tag to 'The Final God'. Some great R2 flubs as well.

EDIT: This episode is the perfect example of jokes coming naturally (The Last Boss, Mr snippy snip) instead of the forced shitty jokes of FFX.

EDIT: This episode is the perfect example of jokes coming naturally (The Last Boss, Mr snippy snip) instead of the forced shitty jokes of FFX.

I know right? It's almost like we hate the shitty forced jokes but we clearly secretly love them since they keep doing them, right?

I know right? It's almost like we hate the shitty forced jokes but we clearly secretly love them since they keep doing them, right?

It's not like they want to do bad jokes, Matt's obviously concerned that FFX will be boring to watch if he doesn't try to keep it interesting in a different way, there's a reason this doesn't happen in GoT, BB, or lots of other LPs.

Xiraiya

It's not like they want to do bad jokes, Matt's obviously concerned that FFX will be boring to watch if he doesn't try to keep it interesting in a different way, there's a reason this doesn't happen in GoT, BB, or lots of other LPs.

Matt always overcompensates like that, it tends to end up being worse.

FFX will be fine as long as he can keep paying attention to what he's doing, someone made a comment earlier or yesterday that Woolie almost seems more attentive to the game and he's not even playing.

I'm not watching the LP because spoilers but yeah I don't know why Matt is on the wheel, usually the newbee gets to play while the one that has experience hangs back and occasionally steers him the right way.

Don't get me wrong, "Bleetzboll" is amusing but the "I'M HUNGRY" thing with Tidus just annoys me every time it's brought up because it's simply not funny. It's like "Fart Gas" all over again.

I will say though, at least it's not as bad as Matt's constant yelling to emphasize a point. Holy shit dude, calm down.

ArjanN

Ultimax's time is never.

While that tweet is 99% likely just a troll, as long as they keep doing this every week they'll get to Blazlblue and Ultimax eventually anyway. Even including dumb joke games and old stuff there's really only so many fighting games.

I need to mention that it does not actually bother me that Pat insists on playing this way, if he wants to play this way that's his choice, that's the beauty of video games, I'm just saying I don't agree with it. Same with his awful reloading in Wolfenstein, it's actually pretty funny when he reloads both his shotguns while running out in the open. Also there was an example in the last video in which he should've switched to his handgun but insisted on waiting on his gun to reload, killing him, and then they both blame the gun lol.

It's a good thing it''s on normal because playing wolfenstein with a controller seems pretty awful.

Matsukaze

FFX Part 8 - Not a lot to say. Whiny Tidus and Hungry Tidus are the jokes that refuse to die. I'm still not fond of their "let's make fun of every single piece of dialogue in a cutscene" approach to this LP, although I did get a chuckle out of them dissing Pat at that one point.

Luca
feels like it's a world away, even though it's really not; I kinda need them to get there ASAP because my interest is actually starting to dip (which, I admit, is slightly ironic, given I've been saying this has been better than Devil's Third and Wolfenstein), and this is coming from someone who counts FFX as one of his favorite games. If they don't step their commentary game up by the time they reach the end of the
Mi'ihen Highroad
, I might actually drop this LP. Fingers crossed Matt handles the next
cloister trial
with grace and patience.

Xux

New
one off talky
video on Vessel's pretty great.
I love hearing the guys just talk about stuff they love.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm so unused to good audio quality on the podcast, when I first started listening to the episode I swore they were somehow using worse mics than before. Everyone sounds so different with good mics, it's crazy.

If they don't step their commentary game up by the time they reach the end of the
Mi'ihen Highroad
, I might actually drop this LP. Fingers crossed Matt handles the next
cloister trial
with grace and patience.

What's killing me about this LP the most is how much Matt complains about the Trials and seems to have so much trouble with them when they're like the easiest puzzles in the world.
Except the Zanarkand one. That one is actually pretty tough.

As for the new mics though, all I can say is FINALLY.

CeeSaw

That's what happens when you get actual microphones and don't use shit at best buy

Now hopefully they can use a multimic setup for the vidyas. Hate it when one guy sounds ok but you can tell the other is sitting further from the mic and picks up a bunch of room when they talk.

BTW been lurkin for a while but thought I would finally stop in a say hello.

Skrams

This is going to be good for my plane ride in 7 hours. At least like 1/4 of the ride. I'll also probably relisten to the past 2 years christmascasts as well. I teased myself a little with the first 2 minutes and damn, those mics. It makes this almost seem like a professional business or something. I hope these get used for LPs as well. Or hopefully the audio quality doesn't jump up and down every week because they move around constantly. I also wonder if having mics in their faces will change how they act at all since it's a constant reminder you're not just bullshitting in a room.

The only thing I'll really miss from the wider range mic is how you could pick up distances like how Pat might recline back after a really horrible joke like 3/5 of a podcast. Maybe the new mics can still pick up distances if the reclining is still nearish, but dunno.

The only thing I'll really miss from the wider range mic is how you could pick up distances like how Pat might recline back after a really horrible joke like 3/5 of a podcast. Maybe the new mics can still pick up distances if the reclining is still nearish, but dunno.

Prepare yourself for the Smackcast.

Tcab96

Those new mics tho. They sound so clear and crisp.

This is really fucking weird. I had to look at my phone to make sure I was playing the Super Best friendcast. I didn't recognize anyone's voice for, like, twenty seconds.

EDIT: Now I NEED to know what Matt sounds like. I can't wait for sandbags.

Top Bottom