• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

A little late but I feel that Fisticuffs bit would have went better if they cut to BlayzBloo for the allotted time after the intro. I love a good troll episode like the FF8 video, this just didn't go over well.

Matsukaze

Final Fantasy X Part 10 - This LP continues to be awkward. Positives - Fair play to Matt for
nailing the Jecht Shot
. I thought the commentary in the latter half of the episode was pretty good, especially the
Seymour
commentary
("Hello, everyone! I am Final Fantasy!)
. Also I have hopes that Woolie's blossoming attraction to
Ronso ladies
will become lore.

Negatives - Commentary in the first ten minutes or so was a snoozefest. They're still struggling to produce worthwhile banter when the game isn't directly giving them material. They are also still trying to interpret Tidus's every sentence in the worst way possible, which wore out its welcome episodes ago.

As for where this LP is going - the next few episodes will probably be make-or-break as to whether I keep watching. I remain ever the optimist that their commentary game will improve, but I don't blame folks for already tuning out.

Xux

Vessel Videos:

Bloodborne: OH GOD THE
CLOCKTOWER DIAL. Hopefully they remember the Insight shop so Woolie can get his cosplay on. Matt, the Oblivious One, caught on to Maria's familiarity pretty quick.

Also, I feel like a jackass for how many times it took me to beat Living Failures, lol.

One off
Rodea The Sky Soldier. Looks like a neat little game. Does seem like a good Yuji Naka idea not ruined by Sonic Team's programmers and hubris.

MrHoot

Vessel Videos:

Bloodborne: OH GOD THE
CLOCKTOWER DIAL. Hopefully they remember the Insight shop so Woolie can get his cosplay on. Matt, the Oblivious One, caught on to Maria's familiarity pretty quick.

Also, I feel like a jackass for how many times it took me to beat Living Failures, lol.

One off
Rodea The Sky Soldier. Looks like a neat little game. Does seem like a good Yuji Naka idea not ruined by Sonic Team's programmers and hubris.

Matt has been the surprisingly observant one throughout the whole bloodborne thing. I expected none of them to connect with the doll (at least not Matt and Woolie, as Pat knows probably some stuff). I had problems myself recognizing the voice immediately when i first played

I'm bummed Maria's AI got a bit dumb and we didn't see her coolest moves. I just rebeat her on NG+2, it's such a fucking cool fight. It's too bad I can never refight her easily. I wish there was a boss rush mode almost in souls

I love how Pat talks about the Blazblues being their first HQ audio video and it sounds like they're wrapping up a live conference roundtable and Matt sounds like he's in the middle of loud Con speaking over the noise.

Dio

Banned
What happened on the EDF video? I started wanting to turn the video off thanks to what was going on there. Something about old people.

Man I can't stand this pandering to views that LP'ers tend to do these days. Was watching a guy do a "Blind" Undertale playthrough and it became very clear throughout the playthrough that not only was it not blind but he even knew the tiny things to do against each boss that would get special dialogue. Do people really think fake reactions can't be detected?

Also to keep it Best Friends related, Revengeance!

Dio

Banned
Care to tell us why?

Lately I've been kinda feeling the same. The amount of videos I've been into has been decreasing a lot. The last one I really enjoyed was from more than a month ago. It also feels like Matt is actively dragging down videos for me somehow in several ways, more so than before. I thought I was really going to enjoy the EDF video when it came out but nope.

Personally, I'm waiting for a Yakuza 5 playthrough with Pat to save the channel for me, at the moment.

Laputa_94

Since we're discussing this I have also gave up on the channel and the podcast. I never thought it would happen since I've been watching the channel since late 2012. I could go into detail, but I'm essentially not enjoying their content nearly as much anymore. I will take a look at an LP if its something like a resident evil or something they really like. Who knows maybe their quailty will increase in the furture, for now however I'm done.

Huh, I really haven't felt any decline in quality or enjoyment over the years. Their content now seems just as good, if not better in some cases, than stuff that was coming out before the podcast ever started and the channel became more Super Beet Friends than Two Best Friends related. Was there any particular point where people started falling off? Anything that kind of killed it for everyone?

I've never been one to watch everything the BFs do. I don't even follow the podcast. So it's always an up and down cycle. If they're playing something I don't care about, I drop it. If it's something I myself want to try, I don't even start, to avoid spoilers. I've gotten bored with FNF/SMS, so while I don't care for BlaBlu, I think the video they did was needless, even if it was to intentionally piss people off. To me, they just made another boring fighting-related video.

Right now I'm watching 2 of their series and not the other 2. I'm fine with that, I don't feel a need to like everything they do. I barely watched Star Wars week, but that ended and normalcy has resumed.

SBF quality is about the same as it always has been, even better with these new podcast mics. It's just how long you've been with the channel and if you're used to their stuff by now. It has ups and downs. Same reason I can't watch Game Grumps videos at all any more.

Loving the Bloodborne stuff since they're editing and Pat's playing. New Order is fun but not really the kind of game I'm interested in, and I couldn't give two shits about watching them play the FF game.

Dio

Banned
SBF quality is about the same as it always has been, even better with these new podcast mics. It's just how long you've been with the channel and if you're used to their stuff by now. It has ups and downs. Same reason I can't watch Game Grumps videos at all any more.

Loving the Bloodborne stuff since they're editing and Pat's playing. New Order is fun but not really the kind of game I'm interested in, and I couldn't give two shits about watching them play the FF game.

I guess. SBF has been my go-to podcast and general video stuff for years now. Like I said, Yakuza 5 with Pat (I beat the game myself recently) would be the thing that saves the channel for me right now.

I guess. SBF has been my go-to podcast and general video stuff for years now. Like I said, Yakuza 5 with Pat (I beat the game myself recently) would be the thing that saves the channel for me right now.
He already said he's not going to do a full LP so you can give up hope of that happening.

The channel's quality fluctuates but I see no reason to stop watching all together, I sometimes take a break from watching but its not like I'm paying them a fee.

Dio

Banned
He already said he's not going to do a full LP so you can give up hope of that happening.

The channel's quality fluctuates but I see no reason to stop watching all together, I sometimes take a break from watching but its not like I'm paying them a fee.

Well shit. Yakuza 4 playthrough was one of the best things on Youtube. That sucks.

Anung

Un Rama
Was there any particular point where people started falling off? Anything that kind of killed it for everyone?

I can't speak for everyone but the last six months have been super rough. We've been locked into some incredibly long ill-advised LP's (MGSV, DR) that have been awful/crap. And even ones that should have been good have been brought down by the need to fill dead air instead of offering compelling commentary or paying attention to the game (SOMA). Thankfully its forced them to seek feedback but we've not quite got to the point where we've seen it implemented (Bloodborne has, but they are going through old lps backlog)

Plus like Dio said (DIOOOOOOOOOOO) Matt is has been dragging quite a few videos down recently. The Old Hunters is the exception it seems.

Mirrors Edge and The Old Hunters have reminded how good they are when they are on top form but that content is in the minority compared to the amount of crap they've put out. Shame to see people actually bail though :(

Sou Da

I can't speak for everyone but the last six months have been super rough. We've been locked into some incredibly long ill-advised LP's (MGSV, DR) that have been awful/crap. And even ones that should have been good have been brought down by the need to fill dead air instead of offering compelling commentary or paying attention to the game (SOMA). Thankfully its forced them to seek feedback but we've not quite got to the point where we've seen it implemented (Bloodborne has, but they are going through old lps backlog)

Plus like Dio said (DIOOOOOOOOOOO) Matt is has been dragging quite a few videos down recently. The Old Hunters is the exception it seems.

Mirrors Edge and The Old Hunters have reminded how good they are when they are on top form but that content is in the minority compared to the amount of crap they've put out. Shame to see people actually bail though :(

I don't see it.

Moaradin

There was that one podcast a few weeks ago where he was negative about everything and kinda ruined it but outside of that, I'm not seeing it.

I've just been more selective about which LP's I watch instead of watching everything that pops up on the channel. I gave The Old Blood a few episodes to get me but it's just not for me, so at the moment it's just Bloodborne, FFX (though they're starting to kill it for me with the jokes) and the podcast.

As for Matt, I have nothing against him but I really wish he'd just be like he is in The Old Hunters more. When he tries to force jokes and yell at everything in other LP's he's a goddamn pain to listen to but when he's just there commentating on a thing he sees and that he's passionate about he's great and fun to listen to.

Matt has always been yelling though.

The random off topic forced meme jokes as well.

I think it's just a matter of which games you like to see and which you don't. Sometimes it's just bad luck that they don't pick what you like, it happens no biggie.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't see it.

Recently he's been constant joke forcing (FFX), saying the same one line "joke" over and over, yelling at absolutely nothing and not having anything interesting to say. That podcast was really bad for it as well. Unless Matt is directly invested in what they are playing he is usually not great.

The Old Hunters is the only video atm where he is actually justifying being there. He has interesting observations, jokes are coming naturally and he's actually pointing out things the others miss. It's been great. Like I never noticed the thing about Amelia he pointed out.

I think it's just a matter of which games you like to see and which you don't. Sometimes it's just bad luck that they don't pick what you like, it happens no biggie.

It has been a thing, but it's become such a frequent thing these days that it's become a problem for many of us. It's like that guy in your group of friends that would always take the last thing someone said and repeat it with a yell then laugh about it afterwards. No one likes that guy and no one wants to be that guy.

Anung

Un Rama

Yeah he's always done it but it felt a little more contextual if you get me? Like in the old shitstorms he'd yell in reaction to something happening. Or the meme would be tangentially related to something happening. In the new shitstorm (and Pat points this out) he was literally shouting at nothing for no reason. And with the forced memes thats pretty much all he says now in most videos. It's not very interesting.

I get it though. They are expected to be funny and being funny is hard. But (like BB) the best jokes flow naturally. Mr Snippy Snips is fantastic. Zaibatsu Sweet Babies being on a shirt confuses me.

Making T-Shirts about your channel is always hard, like you have to make them unique to your channel but you also can't go full meme and in-jokey so there's not much left to work with.

Making T-Shirts about your channel is always hard, like you have to make them unique to your channel but you also can't go full meme and in-jokey so there's not much left to work with.

The Sweet Babies one I legitimately don't understand. It felt like only after a month of making that joke it was suddenly a t-shirt. Was there a demand for it?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The Sweet Babies one I legitimately don't understand. It felt like only after a month of making that joke it was suddenly a t-shirt. Was there a demand for it?

I've always felt like the Zaibatsu makes t-shirts for themselves. In fact I think they've said as much (or something close to it). And the Sweet Babies shirt kinda feels like them (or, let's face it, Matt) buying into their own memes more than the fanbase is.

I've always felt like the Zaibatsu makes t-shirts for themselves. In fact I think they've said as much (or something close to it). And the Sweet Babies shirt kinda feels like them (or, let's face it, Matt) buying into their own memes more than the fanbase is.

That's one of the main reasons I haven't bought any of their merch. So much of it is just in-jokes that really no one would get and if asked about it'd be impossible to explain without sounding like a loon.

The only piece of merch they do have that I've considered picking up a few times is the Skullgirls Cryme Tyme poster. No real context needed for it. It's just cool looking.

Matsukaze

I'll hop aboard this current conversation:
I gave up on the podcast months ago; it started feeling like a chore getting through each episode. Last week I listened to the PlagueofGripes podcast and thought it was fantastic, so I've been meaning to listen to the Williams episode and the Christmascast. Thus, I might be getting back into regular listening depending on how those go.

Video-wise, I'm watching and loving the Bloodborne DLC, watching and wincing at FFX, and using Wolfenstein for mindless background noise. I was also enjoying Devil's Third but that seems to be over. I don't force myself to watch each LP just because it's SBF and I want to support them. If I suspect it's going to be bad and get confirmation that it is indeed shit (such as in the case of Ultra Despair Girls), I won't bother. If I start it and find it boring/low-quality, I"ll drop it (like Chrono Trigger and Nuzlocke). That being said, I have enjoyed most of their stuff and they are my absolute favorite LPers, so it would take a combination of a string of downright boring/awful LPs and a dearth of fun/high-quality LPs for me to lose interest in them.

Regarding merch, the only thing I ever bought of theirs was the Character Select shirt (which I believe is no longer sold?). I don't care about their posters, to be honest. The rest of their shirts range from "eh, that's alright" to "no way would I buy that". If they want more of my money, they need to make something me and the missus will enjoy
like a Zaibatsu calendar featuring 12 months of Shirtless Liam :p

I don't think I'll stop listening to the podcast. I enjoy it every week. LP's and such are selective for me. Not much stuff that interests me. I kind of miss the one offs and stuff like Huntin' and Killin'/Cryme Tyme. I do love the classic Matt and Pat LP's though.

Neol

Guess I'll put my input in.

Love the podcast and its honestly one of the best decisions the group has ever made. Don't really understand how podcasts can be tedious to some people as you can just listen to it when doing other activities like working out, traveling or doing work but I understand how listening to podcasts is not for everyone. But for me, as long as they keep continuing on with it I'll listen so keep it up Woolz. ;D

As for there LP's, I'm pretty satisfied with the current lineup. It's a huge improvement when compared with Phantom Pain, Ultra Despair and whatever else was going on around that time. I'll admit Matt's been jarring to listen to recently, especially in FFX, but hopefully he'll tone it down a bit to the same likeness as the current Bloodbourne LP which is great. Otherwise Devil's Third is good and Old Blood is meh but still serviceable at some parts. When those end, which I assume is pretty soon, I hope they'll continue the trend of two long LP's and two short/middle length LP's as I find that as a good balance where everyone is satisfied.

As for the merch, the posters are fine and I'm sure a lot of people like them as well. As for the clothing... I honestly hate most of it. I'm still hoping for a simple design with no text but so far they tend to go for shirt designs with large text on it so if that continues I'm probably not gonna rep any clothing. I'll admit that Cryme Time Shirt looks pretty good but as I said I would prefer it with no text. The pins are pretty cool although I don't put stuff on my bag but its a good option to have. Honestly I just need the podcast logo sticker so I can stick it on my laptop sooooooooo I'm hoping that will come in my lifetime.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Pat said they'd make a video and the game has to sell. Yakuza 5 would have been to long of an LP as he said anyway.

Yeah, I agree with that. As much as I'd have liked for them to do a Y5 LP, it's a long game. Yakuza 4 took me 45-ish hours to finish. 5 took me almost double that.

Here's my two cents:
-I still dig the podcast, but I'd fucking love to see it get time codes for topics, so if they spend 20 minutes going on about fighting games, I can skip that.
-I've started skipping some LPs entirely. The MGS V one was the first one I did, because I was planning to play the game eventually, then because I heard the LP wasn't structured well. I stuck with Danganronpa for the same reason I watched all of Stargate Universe: the morbidity currents dragged me in (I just had to see how bad it'd get) and there was just enough there to keep me entertained.
-I tend to skip to the non-Let's Watch/roundtable live action stuff, because it's pretty boring/bad.
-The audio sync goes to shit in the last 5 minutes of the new Wolfenstein: The Old Blood episode, which is fucking bizarre.

Vessel spoilers:
Two Best Friends Play Spookys House of Jumpscares - Karamari Hospital? Huh I hope thats good

edit: The podcast is there best content the rest is subpar to eh.

Top Bottom