• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

joe2187

Banned
My favorite thing right now about the cast is Paige's (Pat's GF) twitter/tumblr and the chronicles of her life with our favourite angry gingerbread man

1aaP4Wa.jpg

I just had a real laugh out loud moment.

I just have less time on my hands nowadays, so I'm watching less and getting pickier. Also older. Though, I will agree the podcast is the most consistently good content.
My favorite thing right now about the cast is Paige's (Pat's GF) twitter/tumblr and the chronicles of her life with our favourite angry gingerbread man

1aaP4Wa.jpg
ahahahahah

Matsukaze

Final Fantasy X Part 11 - Again, the commentary here is just... really nothing. I don't understand why a
video camera
seemed so preposterous to them when they already explored an underwater super-lair at the beginning of the game. Also, I have the nagging suspicion that Racist Wakka is going to be joining Hungry Tidus and Whiny Tidus as perma-jokes, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

I already sense that they will both go nuts when
Anima
makes an appearance.

Although soon we non-Vessel folk will get to see how well Matt handles blitzball. I cannot wait to see how they deal with the Goers' horseshit. :p

Although soon we non-Vessel folk will get to see how well Matt handles blitzball. I cannot wait to see how they deal with the Goers' horseshit. :p

Maybe Woolie actually tries it, but man, I remember winning the game when I first played it. 2-1 final score,
Tidus one goal, Wakka the second.
My Tidus didn't even have the Jecht Shot to rely on, but I got through! I actually was worried because I paid a lot of attention to the first tutorial, before Yuna get's kidnapped, thinking the game would start immediately, then didn't want to re-ready myself, so hoped for the best.

Good times.

Matsukaze

Maybe Woolie actually tries it, but man, I remember winning the game when I first played it. 2-1 final score,
Tidus one goal, Wakka the second.
My Tidus didn't even have the Jecht Shot to rely on, but I got through! I actually was worried because I paid a lot of attention to the first tutorial, before Yuna get's kidnapped, thinking the game would start immediately, then didn't want to re-ready myself, so hoped for the best.

Good times.
I wish I could say the same lol. Impatient child-me skipped most of the tutorials because my thought process was basically "How bad could this be?" Then the game began and I was like "Okay, here we g- oh the Goers are already on the offen- oh they scored, well that's ok I won't let it go unans- oh I guess that didn't work, lemme just - oh the Goers are doing real well... So what do I do?..." The end result was I think 2-1 or 3-1 for the Goers.

I got my revenge later, though, when I crafted a super team and annihilated the rest of the league.
World Champion/Jupiter Sigil
were a piece of cake.

Oh man, you missed out on the rad trophy!

Heh, I didn't even care about getting
Wakka's overdrive moves or stuff for his ultimate weapon.
I enjoyed blitzball so much that I played it for the hell of it. And because I kind of didn't want the game to end,
so I was putting off fighting Sin
. And I kept the Aurochs pure (or at least I primarily used them). The first season was rough, but after that it was smooth sailing. It got to the point where I was winning when I wasn't even trying, actively losing was almost impossible.

I also think my insistence on awesoming blitzball partly made Wakka the most affectionate towards me near the end of the game where
he jumps off the airship onto Sin first. Which is made all the more funnier because in the next scene, he falls last.

I'm catching up on the christmas cast and this talk about the PSO bet is making me lose it, if I was in Woolie's situation I would probably also grab my popcorn and enjoy the show.

Fucking Liam making up his own betting rules lmao

I'm catching up on the christmas cast and this talk about the PSO bet is making me lose it, if I was in Woolie's situation I would probably also grab my popcorn and enjoy the show.

Fucking Liam making up his own betting rules lmao

He sounded like a smug piece of shit in that convo. Pat should have just reached like he was gonna take the money and clock him in the face.

He sounded like a smug piece of shit in that convo. Pat should have just reached like he was gonna take the money and clock him in the face.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting Woolie to pause in the middle of laughing and say, "Liam, you know this is funny shit because it's Pat you're fucking with, but if I ever catch you doing this to a real person I'm going to straight beat your ass."

tsundoku

1aaP4Wa.jpg

But the problem is that the salsa needed to be in a bowl, not the chips.

And the Salsa Con Queso needed to be in the trash, but that's another day.

Dio

Banned
I'm really happy Liam is playing Trails of Cold Steel. I just finished the game, it's now one of my favorite RPGs of all time. There are so many fucking things about it I'm sure even more of the SBF would absolutely adore if they heard about it, but some of it would be mega spoilers and some of it would be like 'holy shit REALLY?'

convo

Yeah new Bloodborne! And holy shit at the clock dial key part.One is better off blind than have the eyes of Woolie and Pat.The eye-witches would look at them in disappointment and look somewhere else for eyeballs.Birds would throw up just looking at those eyeballs, so they have one thing less thing to worry about when stuck on a life-boat in the middle of the sea.

Bloodborne Spoiler:
Pat, Maria doesn't ever 'pop' the Old Hunter Bone because, well... she is an Old Hunter, it would just be a bone as far as she's concerned. The reason the Bone allows you to use Quickening to begin with is because it came from one of her cohort. (Maybe even Maria herself...)

MrHoot

It's kinda sad we never see Maria's cool visceral attack in any of the bloodborne LPs. It's such a fucking great animation but her AI seems to be spazzing out in the latest episode (she does nothing at somet point) and Pat is a bit overleveled for this fight which renders it a bit trivial

Matsukaze

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Episode 10 - Yet another really great episode. There were a bunch of good lines. Just the thought of Gehrman saying
"I'm gonna make a doll and crush that puss!"
is so awkward it's hilarious. I especially liked when two sentences get crammed together
We are living failures together RIGHT UP THE ASSHOLE!
. I also loved Pat getting tongue-tied while attempting to read the key's description.

Living Failures
is the "dweeb" boss of the DLC and as such it can't compare to the other Old Hunters bosses, but at least it has *that* move to help its cool factor.
Maria
is so super awesome and I almost wish I didn't beat her on my second attempt, just so I could savor that fight more.

Their early reactions to the
fishing village
are so promising. I cannot wait!

MrHoot

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Episode 10 - Yet another really great episode. There were a bunch of good lines. Just the thought of Gehrman saying
"I'm gonna make a doll and crush that puss!"
is so awkward it's hilarious. I especially liked when two sentences get crammed together
We are living failures together RIGHT UP THE ASSHOLE!
. I also loved Pat getting tongue-tied while attempting to read the key's description.

Living Failures
is the "dweeb" boss of the DLC and as such it can't compare to the other Old Hunters bosses, but at least it has *that* move to help its cool factor.
Maria
is so super awesome and I almost wish I didn't beat her on my second attempt, just so I could savor that fight more.

Their early reactions to the
fishing village
are so promising. I cannot wait!

Oh man you're gonna love the revenge of the fishing village in part 11. Party cave mk. 2

Anung

Un Rama
The Old Hunters 10 - Another good one. They are making quite fast progress. Though as they've said they are a little over leveled. Which sucks because that Maria fight is so fucking awesome when your on an even playing field. Doesn't ruin the LP or anything though.

In terms of making the celestial dial work I think its hilarious that you can have 3 people staring at the same screen and none of them see the big prompt button.

Such a shame they've had so much of the DLC spoiled. It would have been great getting some true first time reactions.

The lovecraftgasming is the best though <3

MrHoot

Such a shame they've had so much of the DLC spoiled. It would have been great getting some true first time reactions.

The lovecraftgasming is the best though <3

Yeah like Pat said it's almost impossible in his position to go in blind. Even the PS4 with it's sharing thing like just flatout puts big spoilery thing so you can't really be surprised. And I'd say it's a good idea if for Dark Souls 3 he just plays through it first and have either others watch for a replay or have someone else play (i'd be okay for Woolie to have another go. As long as he's guided I think it's totally fine, I enjoyed DaS2 a lot)

Yeah like Pat said it's almost impossible in his position to go in blind. Even the PS4 with it's sharing thing like just flatout puts big spoilery thing so you can't really be surprised. And I'd say it's a good idea if for Dark Souls 3 he just plays through it first and have either others watch for a replay or have someone else play (i'd be okay for Woolie to have another go. As long as he's guided I think it's totally fine, I enjoyed DaS2 a lot)

Woolie and Liam. You have your turtle style with Liam's gun jumper style.

I don't feel like Liam is really the type of player I'd want to see play a Souls game. When he does something like Castlevania it's fine because you're kind of meant to blow through and gun jump through those games, but doing it in Souls will cause you to miss out on so much. Pat and Woolie worked best for DS2, despite the problems people had with that LP. Maybe have Matt on the the first few episodes as well to see if it's something he's interested in or if the DS3 world doesn't do it for him like BB's did.

Pat, "Dota assholes" don't call HotS a baby MOBA because they're being assholes, it's just because it is, and if you played LoL or Dota you'd realize that, it was never meant as an insult. In fact, I know many Dota players that like to play HotS when they want to take a load off.

Also I don't know where the guys found their Dota/LoL footage but the camera isn't that different? I don't know if Woolie was trying to imply that their cameras are super zoomed out or something, that'd make the games way too easy.

And that "you go to a lane and someone screams at you that you're doing something wrong" is something that people will never stop perpetuating. Yes, it's a multiplayer game, there are assholes. HotS also has assholes, every multiplayer game has assholes, Dota isn't somehow attracting more of them.

A lot of the things Pat is saying comes off as extremely biased towards Blizzard, especially since he doesn't know enough about Dota or LoL to make such blanket statements. Dota/LoL is a hodgepodge of bullshit? I don't even know what that means, but I guess they do when you don't know the game. Most games look like bullshit when you don't understand them, I thought most fighting games looked like nonsense when I wasn't into them.

Edit: "I now understand MOBA's and can shit on Dota" nope, try again. Plays HotS for 3 days and thinks he can tell everyone how people who play Dota are insane, good shit Pat.

MrHoot

Yeah, the big problem (LP wise that is) for Souls game is that it's very easy to miss stuff on your first go. Sometimes because of the game's fault too, to be fair. Like i'm also watching the Grumps latest BB part and they're doing the Milkweed rune questline and without a walkthrough, that questline is obnoxious as fuck. They did the right thing and killed the heads without resorting to help (which is already something you think about twice since you don't want to kill NPCs lightly in souls) and then go back. The NPC tells her she'll give them blood, but doesn't since they probably still have Arianna's blood or equivalent, but the game doesn't tell you that. It also doesn't tell you that you can only give the second fluid after only a bit of time has passed (i tried, not even a straight reload works) so they might miss on it completely and I'm not even gonna blame them one bit because that's just silly. I enjoy the puzzle solving but fuck, I hope Dark Souls 3 at least gives at least some clearer hints if like something in your inventory is freaking up the progress

Tornix

I'm really happy Liam is playing Trails of Cold Steel. I just finished the game, it's now one of my favorite RPGs of all time. There are so many fucking things about it I'm sure even more of the SBF would absolutely adore if they heard about it, but some of it would be mega spoilers and some of it would be like 'holy shit REALLY?'

It's nice to hear Pat is set on playing Trails in the Sky first. It's not essential, but it sets up the world and there's some returning characters (and they're just great jrpgs&#9786;). I can't wait to play Cold Steel myself, but Yakuza 5 is taking my time.

tsundoku

Liam won't ever want to do a souls game LP blind because he likes to beat the games when they come out in less than a week. His gun jumping wouldn't be much worse than what Pat is doing now in the Bloodborne DLC and he really does want to show off neat little details when he does an LP or talks about a game so he could definitely help the Dark 3 LP in commentary. If you put him on controls though you can probably expect some johns about how Woolie and Pat have the wrong weapons or armor (stuff different then what he uses) if he dies to a boss. The opposite of Pat's overwhelming "no Woolie you have to use the shitty greatsword because that's what I did".

I will slightly disagree on that. Dota and LoL are well known as THE most toxic communities out there.

Dota maybe as its a very exclusionary community that beats down on the playerbase until they up and quit. Everyone I know who used to play Dota doesn't anymore because they were losing their friends over every match being treated as "srs raid difficulty and importance" like an mmo. Where-as i've never met a single mean person who plays League of Legends or heard a horror story about someone not having fun playing it. Nasty people definitely exist in all online communities. But It sounds like your average mmo community because its such a casual game with non competitive mechanics.

Time for me to roll a pg or two back and see if anyone posted about the newest Final Fantasy X video that's on Vessel

tsundoku

Alright Vessel spoilers for FFX part 13 which should be up on youtube in a day or two
Matt straight up fucking doing exactly the despicable shit I expected better than him. "Let me set Woolie up for this scene with completely the wrong intentions". And then, after Tidus and Yuna do their In-Character On-Script "terrible, awkward, stilted laughs". He straight up sandbags Woolie on ever being able to understand the intent of that scene, by talking about how it was "their best take i guess" and "its even worse in japanese" talking OVER the part of the scene where Tidus and Yuna are laughing perfectly normally about how awkward it is and sounds to try to force yourself to laugh out loud.
I really feel like Woolie would have immediately made Matt eat shit on that if he could just have heard the character dialogue instead of Matt's sandbagging.

I need a new avatar without Matt in it. Where my three way Liam Pat and Woolie fanart at

Alright Vessel spoilers for FFX part 13 which should be up on youtube in a day or two
Matt straight up fucking doing exactly the despicable shit I expected better than him. "Let me set Woolie up for this scene with completely the wrong intentions". And then, after Tidus and Yuna do their In-Character On-Script "terrible, awkward, stilted laughs". He straight up sandbags Woolie on ever being able to understand the intent of that scene, by talking about how it was "their best take i guess" and "its even worse in japanese" talking OVER the part of the scene where Tidus and Yuna are laughing perfectly normally about how awkward it is and sounds to try to force yourself to laugh out loud.
I really feel like Woolie would have immediately made Matt eat shit on that if he could just have heard the character dialogue instead of Matt's sandbagging.

Plague even brought it up on his stream at how Matt's constantly giving him the wrong information. It is quite annoying to see honestly but it's whatever. Not like it'll change.

He's giving him a lot of correct information as well though to be fair. It's just during things like what you said above where it's incredibly annoying. Pretty much everything with Blitzball is Woolie trying to learn about the game and Matt being like "No, I don't like it so we're not doing it."

I will slightly disagree on that. Dota and LoL are well known as THE most toxic communities out there.
Of course they're known for it, but that doesn't mean it's true. Almost every story about the toxicity basically boils down to "I played and a person flamed me, what a toxic community". There's 10 people in a game that lasts 30-60 minutes, of course there's a chance one of them is going to be an asshole at some point. I've played a shitload of games and in most cases people barely even talk except maybe one person being salty blames one of his teammates, which who gives a damn.

AND EVEN THEN, CS easily has a mroe toxic community than Dota or LoL.

Top Bottom