• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Yeah this would be cool even if it was only Matt and Pat and I've barely ever watched Star Trek, it could even convince me to watch it myself. Pick like 3 episodes, 1 bad, 1 good and 1 whatever and talk over them.
So a season 1 episode (would Code of Honor be too racist? 'Cause it's pretty racist.), Yesterday's Enterprise, and random season 3+ episode.

TOS & DS9 are a whole separate grab bag.

Anung

Un Rama
Looking forward to more Trek videos. There is a nice range of bleh-to-okay trek games and to be honest I could sit and listen to them talk about it for hours.

Village

I was reading jojo part 5 again. Everytime I take a break from jojo I come back and remember how grusome that shit is. I forget homie licks dudes face and starts turning his body into zippers. I also forgot about steel ball run. Steel ball run having the championship record of jojo " wow really , that's a character really?" moment in all of jojo

Also Pillar men,

Kars is cool. I'm basing a detective lady in a thing i'm doing on kars

3b967310a3122fcd3d83cb05f94f0159_zpsyzhvmu3o.jpg

Shit's heating up on the Mefense of be Ancients front...

If its for that ox dude, i get it. I don't know hsit about mobas or blizzard, but there was this ox dude with a guitar ax that got me to play that game for like a few hours.

Looking forward to more Trek videos. There is a nice range of bleh-to-okay trek games and to be honest I could sit and listen to them talk about it for hours.
The problem is that most of them are PC only and aren't on GOG, so they might not work on modern systems. I know Klingon Academy requires some custom DLL just to render properly on modern GPUs.

I loved the TNG game back in the day. I remember me and my dad sketching out elaborate maps of the stages since it was stupidly easy to get lost in them.

My Dad's also a huge Star Trek nerd and I need him to show me more crudely recorded vhs's of TNG, the way it was meant to be.

There's a great thread on reddit where people are actually talking about how garbage vessel is. I paid for two months out of support for the channel but tapped out when I couldn't watch a full minute of a bloodborne video without stuttering. What really sucks is the guys never say anything. Maybe its the contract they're under but they haven't answered any complaints about the service. Its the website all over again except tho time they want you to pay money for it. The upload schedule is fucked and its shit that its happened 3 times in the past week, and all we get is oops, don't forget to keep paying for vessel while we fix it! I'm already fed up and the contract has barely begun.

There's a great thread on reddit where people are actually talking about how garbage vessel is. I paid for two months out of support for the channel but tapped out when I couldn't watch a full minute of a bloodborne video without stuttering. What really sucks is the guys never say anything. Maybe its the contract they're under but they haven't answered any complaints about the service. Its the website all over again except tho time they want you to pay money for it. The upload schedule is fucked and its shit that its happened 3 times in the past week, and all we get is oops, don't forget to keep paying for vessel while we fix it! I'm already fed up and the contract has barely begun.

The last straw for me was yesterday after finding out that the last 2 Bloodborne parts were uploaded nearly 3 weeks ago. That type of shit along with the absolute baffling decision to split up the Machinima episodes is just beyond me how a thing can be run so poorly. That entire service is a goddamn mess.

The last straw for me was yesterday after finding out that the last 2 Bloodborne parts were uploaded nearly 3 weeks ago. That entire service is a goddamn mess.

I would be happy if they went on the podcast or made an announcement saying "I know we goofed initially, here is how we're gonna fix it moving forward". But I know they won't. If we're lucky Liam will say 2 years from now that the vessel service was shit and he's glad they're done, just like he did with the website.

I would be happy if they went on the podcast or made an announcement saying "I know we goofed initially, here is how we're gonna fix it moving forward". But I know they won't. If we're lucky Liam will say 2 years from now that the vessel service was shit and he's glad they're done, just like he did with the website.

Well what Vessel is doing isn't in their control. They just give them the videos.

As for saying if it's shit or not, from a business sense they'd never say that because it'd be stupid. That type of thing makes companies not want to work with you. It's actually one of the things I absolutely fucking despise about that whole business. Gotta kiss as much ass as you can and not say bad things about people you might one day want to do things with regardless of how bad they might have fucked up.

Vessel worked fine for me initially, and I've never run into buffering issues or anything like that. I just don't like the layout and the lack of 60fps options.

But I also have to keep in mind I got a year free, because Linus Tech Tips had that promo when they started using Vessel.

Matsukaze

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Part 13 - At this point, I'd sound like a broken record saying this episode was great and this LP is great, but yeah...

Pat did as well with the boss as I expected... which is to say, he got wrecked as hard as most of us did with this fight. Can't fault him for thinking that anti-Kin gems would be the way to go, though I loved Woolie joking that now he has commit to his decisions.

Also, I couldn't stop laughing at Matt's line "
Orphan of Kos's
entire moveset is just toys from the 90s." That one just got me.

MrHoot

NG+++ was a Nightmare, but oh man did it feel good to take him down alone.

I fought him the first time on NG+ so i was forced to kinda learn his moveset in detail to not get wrecked.

First phase is not as hard as there's some attacks you can bait for some easy punishing damage. And there's one where it's pretty easy to do a backstab (his big leap over you, just walk and not dash under it as he extends quite a lot in distance, and immediately turn for a backstab)

The second phase is fucking bonkers tho. It's all a matter of just waiting to place one hit and then backing the fuck off. Which makes it a pretty stressful and drawn out fight

The lightning I noticed always hits the mother's corpse and it's easier to dodge where you're on the water. But things are so hectic during this fight it's fucking hard to even know what's happening, especially on phase 2. Doesn't help that he's not easily staggered in phase 2 and shits all over you if you try to apply the maria strategy to him

Edzi

I fought him the first time on NG+ so i was forced to kinda learn his moveset in detail to not get wrecked.

First phase is not as hard as there's some attacks you can bait for some easy punishing damage. And there's one where it's pretty easy to do a backstab (his big leap over you, just walk and not dash under it as he extends quite a lot in distance, and immediately turn for a backstab)

The second phase is fucking bonkers tho. It's all a matter of just waiting to place one hit and then backing the fuck off. Which makes it a pretty stressful and drawn out fight

The lightning I noticed always hits the mother's corpse and it's easier to dodge where you're on the water. But things are so hectic during this fight it's fucking hard to even know what's happening, especially on phase 2. Doesn't help that he's not easily staggered in phase 2 and shits all over you if you try to apply the maria strategy to him

There are two things to remember during the second phase. The first is to always hug close to him, and the second is to run towards the entrance during the lightening attack. The rest is all about reacting and learning to dodge/parry his moves.

MrHoot

There are two things to remember during the second phase. The first is to always hug close to him, and the second is to run towards the entrance during the lightening attack. The rest is all about reacting and learning to dodge/parry his moves.

Hugging him on second phase ? I try to be very vigilant but I remember getting distinctively wrecked by hugging.

To be fair, OoK is one of my least favourite bosses in Bloodborne. He's definitively a challenge, but he's way too hectic even as a Bloodborne boss. His pattern is annoying and he's just so damn frenetic, with some shitty tracking on some attacks and some stuff that is just way too unpredictable

Actually in the second phase stay in the water as far out as possible. Staying near land is asking for trouble.

OoK is the one Bloodborne boss I have given up on. By that point I just could not give a fuck about beating it and just wasn't having fun learning the fight. Will be interesting to see how Pat beats it.

Edzi

Hugging him on second phase ? I try to be very vigilant but I remember getting distinctively wrecked by hugging.

To be fair, OoK is one of my least favourite bosses in Bloodborne. He's definitively a challenge, but he's way too hectic even as a Bloodborne boss. His pattern is annoying and he's just so damn frenetic, with some shitty tracking on some attacks and some stuff that is just way too unpredictable

I actually really enjoy him. Thematically, him and his stage are awesome, and the speed of the fight really gets your blood pumping. He's hard, but I still think his moveset is fair once you learn the timing. It just requires more precise timing and execution than some of the other bosses, though I think that combined with his insane damage output makes him a bit unfair in NG+++ (and that's true for most of the bosses in the DLC).

And yeah, hugging is what worked best for me. That way you can dodge to his back and get a few hits in, or try to get the parries. Keeping your distance causes him to spam his projectiles, which are really really dangerous.

Actually in the second phase stay in the water as far out as possible. Staying near land is asking for trouble.

The lightening doesn't go up to the entrance, so you're safe there too.

The lightening doesn't go up to the entrance, so you're safe there too.

The lightning isn't the issue. With the way he jumps and the range of his attacks, you're likely to get hung up on the geometry of rocks, trees and Kos. It's best to fight him on the flat land in the water. He definitely feels like one of the hardest in the game for sure, but once you learn the tells on all his moves he's actually quite simple to abuse.

OoK is the one Bloodborne boss I have given up on. By that point I just could not give a fuck about beating it and just wasn't having fun learning the fight. Will be interesting to see how Pat beats it.

Spoilers. He's over leveled as fuck. :p

Edzi

The lightning isn't the issue. With the way he jumps and the range of his attacks, you're likely to get hung up on the geometry of rocks, trees and Kos. It's best to fight him on the flat land in the water. He definitely feels like one of the hardest in the game for sure, but once you learn the tells on all his moves he's actually quite simple to abuse.

Depends on how you wanna fight him I guess. The main area gave me plenty of room to work with. You only need to go to the entrance during the lightening, but you can move a bit farther out once that move ends.

Yeah, the lightning is actually a ring that radiates out from the cadaver, and it has a small gap in it. Unfortunately, there's nothing to really communicate that information and there's a very significant chance you're either going to be looking away from the corpse when it happens or actually standing on it, which means it's an indistinct mechanic that doesn't teach itself and most people learn entirely by dumb luck, if at all.

Really, really poor mechanic marring an otherwise solid fight.

Anung

Un Rama

I'm glad I sat on my hands to see how they got on. Between that and the ads on a paid subscription (WTF?) I'll just be sticking to YT I think. Do feel vindicated in predicting it'd go this route.

Just finished the GoT LP. That was a good one. There experience with the game mirrored my own in that the futher along you get the less you care.

OoK's second form only really bothers me because of the huge leaps that remove him from your location entirely and spam huge splash damage projectiles. That's not fun, and it removes your ability to retaliate.First form is a better fight.

I just parried him to death my first time in both forms anyway.
Wonder if they'll talk about PSN being down on the podcast.
It's kinda dime a dozen now when it goes down.

Moonlight

Banned
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Part 13 - At this point, I'd sound like a broken record saying this episode was great and this LP is great, but yeah...

Pat did as well with the boss as I expected... which is to say, he got wrecked as hard as most of us did with this fight. Can't fault him for thinking that anti-Kin gems would be the way to go, though I loved Woolie joking that now he has commit to his decisions.

Also, I couldn't stop laughing at Matt's line "
Orphan of Kos's
entire moveset is just toys from the 90s." That one just got me.
I was going to ask where on Vessel you found that, and then realized: oh, it's on YouTube. I went back and checked on Vessel again and it's literally just not even there. Guess I know what (or what didn't) happen when some days had one/zero updates.

That YouTube timed exclusivity, I guess.

MrHoot

I was going to ask where on Vessel you found that, and then realized: oh, it's on YouTube. I went back and checked on Vessel again and it's literally just not even there. Guess I know what (or what didn't) happen when some days had one/zero updates.

That YouTube timed exclusivity, I guess.

It's on vessel but you have to look back in the updates, it's litteraly buried some weeks ago

Matsukaze

Final Fantasy X Part 15 - Okay, as lame as the Racist Wakka jokes have been, Woolie actually had a pretty good one here.
"Wakka, why does your Job Class say Grand Wizard?"
. But that was one solid joke out of a boatload of weak ones.

Also, Matt confuses me. Near the beginning of the video he states that he thinks their Nazi jokes resonate with the game as a way of defending them, but he then admits at the end of the video that they're forcing the jokes on Wakka. So, my impressions of the commentary have now gone from poor to awful.

At this point the Magic 8-Ball is telling me I'll be dropping this LP by the end of the next video or two. I've been patient with this LP but my interest has dropped off a cliff.

Oh nice, Pat tried Dota 2. Sadly it sounded like he didn't do the tutorial or didn't give it time to sink in at all. I started playing Dota like 2 years ago so no Matt, you didn't need to get in on the ground floor. It's a difficult game, but no it's not inpenetrable, as with everything complicated you have to spend the time to understand the basics(and no it's not a hundred hours) and imo the payoff is more than worth the time you spend to get there.

Trying something and giving it a chance are not the same thing, it doesn't sound like Pat gave Dota 2 a chance. You still level up in Dota(its pretty similar to how its done in HotS IIRC) and no you don't need to fight NPCs and run away for the first 15 minutes(you kind of interact A LOT with enemy heroes 99% of a match unless you're a jungler or a safelaner getting complete freefarm and even then you have to be aware of enemy heroes).

I got in after TI3, really wanted to get into the game, and got into it. Yeah, my first 20 or so real matches were an embarassement, but it was worth it. And guess what, nobody yelled at me, because they were also complete noobs that didn't know what they were doing.

edit: Also I'm not sure what their problem is with the game only using one map, you say it's inpenetrable but you want new maps? There's like 110 heroes and a billion items, believe me you won't get bored.

edit: Also I'm not sure what their problem is with the game only using one map, you say it's inpenetrable but you want new maps? There's like 110 heroes and a billion items, believe me you won't get bored.
HOTS goes for a random select gimmicky maps with weird side objectives, and It's part of what changes it from something competitive to what I lack a word to describe as anything but "casual".

Not that that's bad. I really like how it's short, arcadey, and simple in some ways. It is a very different goal, however.

If he only cares about the map because it's samey-looking, that's kinda goofy, but this is the person who went nuts over SF4's training stage.

Top Bottom