• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

MrHoot

Yeah i think what jarred me the most in P4DAN is some pacing of notes and that it's indeed pretty far apart, which means sometimes I don't even see a note or a scratch on screen and miss it (doesn't help that it's overlayered to a quite busy background, which means it's SUPER easy to get distracted)

I'm not too miffed about the leaderboard stuff. I mostly go against myself. But yeah some high tier stuff is just insane.

Still pretty solid but these flaws are pretty noticeable. Anyway thanks guys for reminding me of what he said

Nordicus

Oh fuck yeah, they mention the amazing Ghost Stories dub on the podcast. Hope Woolie checks it out
9EBRiMX.png
DJC99Um.jpg
flkaCfP.jpg

Skrams

Matt defends the kind of shitty JC3 video by saying they started the game up and that's what came out. It's a quick look, so playing hours of the game beforehand would be against that idea. Pretty shitty defending when they've done plenty of videos where they're farther in the game, have already completed the game, or are level hopping around to show off stuff. I also continue to not understand the deal of pooping out a video like this and thinking, eh, mediocre look at the game, good enough for machinima.

Yeah i think what jarred me the most in P4DAN is some pacing of notes and that it's indeed pretty far apart, which means sometimes I don't even see a note or a scratch on screen and miss it (doesn't help that it's overlayered to a quite busy background, which means it's SUPER easy to get distracted)

I'm not too miffed about the leaderboard stuff. I mostly go against myself. But yeah some high tier stuff is just insane.

Still pretty solid but these flaws are pretty noticeable. Anyway thanks guys for reminding me of what he said

I still enjoyed it a good bunch. At least enough to buy the original JPN version and then rebuy the english one. People into rhythm games or the kinds of people who can notice it has no 1/16 notes are the kinds of people who find it more mediocre.

I also never really had much issue with the spreading of notes as I found the game did a good job of leading you around the screen usually. The L/R Scratch Note patch made scratch notes better too and even then they don't negatively effect you if you miss them. I also didn't really have much problem with the background, but they give you the option to make it darker if you need to.

I'm also probably seen as a rabid defender of the game by some, but whatever. If you're reading this Liam then I still haven't bought Superbeat Xonic yet, but I've been meaning too. Too busy platinuming Project Diva f 2nd for no reason with the god awful Diva Room though.

Oh fuck yeah, they mention the amazing Ghost Stories dub on the podcast. Hope Woolie checks it out

https://youtu.be/4IgdujeLXqI?t=8m18s

Okingjrr

Oh God, this Maddentown talk. Reminds me of my family and how I have to get a cousin check before doing anything.

Heck, the same can be said about a large percentage of caribbean families...

Also, I'm eagerly awaiting the moment Pat just up and says "I'm done with HOTS". We all know it's coming.

MrHoot

I still enjoyed it a good bunch. At least enough to buy the original JPN version and then rebuy the english one. People into rhythm games or the kinds of people who can notice it has no 1/16 notes are the kinds of people who find it more mediocre.

I also never really had much issue with the spreading of notes as I found the game did a good job of leading you around the screen usually. The L/R Scratch Note patch made scratch notes better too and even then they don't negatively effect you if you miss them. I also didn't really have much problem with the background, but they give you the option to make it darker if you need to.

I'm also probably seen as a rabid defender of the game by some, but whatever. If you're reading this Liam then I still haven't bought Superbeat Xonic yet, but I've been meaning too. Too busy platinuming Project Diva f 2nd for no reason with the god awful Diva Room though.

https://youtu.be/4IgdujeLXqI?t=8m18s

Yeah i'm still enjoying it a whole bunch. Probably will end up the majority of the DLC for it (song wise at least, and already bought some costumes...
the naoto school female outfit one
)

Also ghost stories is absolutely amazing and should be treasured forever

Moonlight

Banned
I've said this plenty of times to plenty of LoL fans (and fans of other games that do this)

It's monetisation system is inherently anti-competitive. Hiding heroes behind a paywall means that a player can spend money to have a tangible advantage over a player who doesn't spend money.
That only works if some characters are literally just better than other characters. You only pick one hero per game and games modes where counterpicking is a concern is walled off until you have a minimum amount of heroes. I haven't even hit that point yet. Ten characters on the free rotation per week plus the champions that I got with the points I earned is fine, especially when you need to spend quite a few games getting the hang of a single champion.

Point being there's never, ever been a point in League where I said, wow, he spent more money than me on this game, I feel at a disadvantage. No one sees tangible benefits in-game to spending money. It's like being mad someone beats you with a DLC character in a fighting game. Unless that character is overtuned to shit so you have to buy it to stay competitive than its really irrelevant. I spent money on the game because there were a couple skins I want to wait on a sale for, and some characters I'd rather get sooner than later. Not because I felt outmoded by people who 'spent more money' than I did. There is, like, objectively, nothing about the skill gap that is disrupted by your wallet, and it will be so until there's a character you need to pay for that is intentionally designed to be broken as fuck.

HotS has the exact same monetization scheme, as well. Maybe the rate of free points you receive is higher in it between the daily quest system and general rate of gold you receive, but it's actually just the same thing.

That said, I think runes are bullshit, but you can't pay for them in any way. League has problems with letting new blood into competition but none of it has anything to do with what you have to pay for.

Dota has a better scheme, sure, I won't say that free is worse than having to pay for anything, but it's not anti-competitive unless you design it that way. I've never felt limited by the amount of money I've spent on the game. And while Dota's commitment to free characters is commendable, it really does nothing to prepare you for being dropped into an immeasurably deep pit and being told under extremely vague terms how to crawl out. That's fine for people who want that, but I like the kid gloves.

Dota has a better scheme, sure, I won't say that free is worse than having to pay for anything, but it's not anti-competitive unless you design it that way. I've never felt limited by the amount of money I've spent on the game. And while Dota's commitment to free characters is commendable, it really does nothing to prepare you for being dropped into an immeasurably deep pit and being told under extremely vague terms how to crawl out. That's fine for people who want that, but I like the kid gloves.

Dota has a limited heroes mode in which only 20 or so simpler heroes are available to pick, so that mostly solves that problem. Whenever you feel like you've gotten the hang of the game you can move on to the normal modes, in which you're still allowed to pick the same easy hero over and over again, so I'm not sure why it matters that every hero is unlocked from the get go. I'm sure most people can manage to realize by themselves that they should probably stick to tutorial heroes without the game locking every other hero off.

Neol

I've said this plenty of times to plenty of LoL fans (and fans of other games that do this)

It's monetisation system is inherently anti-competitive. Hiding heroes behind a paywall means that a player can spend money to have a tangible advantage over a player who doesn't spend money.

It doesn't give that much of an advantage to be honest. I'm not sure how much experience you have in these games but the only advantage you have is that it helps with counter picking but honestly you can have a small selection of heroes and still succeed. Combined with the fact that ranked mode is locked until you reach level 30, which takes a while to reach, by that time you should have a good amount of champions as well as runes to be able to compete with anyone at the same skill level with you. It also encourages you to continue to play the game more as you learn the f2p rotation each week instead of being blasted by the overwhelming amount of heroes as well working towards which ones you want to buy with the ingame money.

League and all the other MOBA's with similar systems still have large playerbases and I seriously doubt people would continue to play these games if it was pay-2-win.

Moonlight

Banned
Well, thanks for letting me know about that, but I don't think I need to elaborate on being hit with this huge table of selections upon starting the game can possibly be sort of intimidating. I think it does matter, actually, whether you leave what you see up to the game or the player, and it just has to do with how overwhelming an experience can be to just start up and try.

I've tried to get into Dota many times, and while I respect it and the people who play it/prefer it, and there are plenty of things I really like in terms of the user experience, I've never felt very comfortable trying to just get into it.

Skrams

The first SBFP x Game Grumps video is available on the Vessel free of charge right now for anyone who cares. It'll probably be the 3PM video anyway, but here you go.

Vessel

Also Wolfenstein Part 10

Vessel

I'm also really glad Old Blood and Old Hunters are ending. I didn't want to watch either without playing the game first, so it's nice to have some new blood again. Also yes puns.

explodet

Matt said:
It'll be interesting to see if someday Blizzard with their online suite will catch up to Devil's Third.
My brain went in about 4 different directions with that remark. I shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did.

Anung

Un Rama
It's kind of weird how much they sandbagged the game. It feels like they didn't want to play it and wanted to somehow apply Woolie's working on JC1 to this as a joke to shit on him or the game? Either way JC3 is pretty cool and I'm surprised how they treated the one off.

I was literally coming in here to say how JC3 is the laziest video they've put up on Machinima. I don't know how you can play a game where you make your own hilarity and make a boring video of the opening 20 minutes.

The_Poet

Banned
It doesn't give that much of an advantage to be honest. I'm not sure how much experience you have in these games but the only advantage you have is that it helps with counter picking but honestly you can have a small selection of heroes and still succeed. Combined with the fact that ranked mode is locked until you reach level 30, which takes a while to reach, by that time you should have a good amount of champions as well as runes to be able to compete with anyone at the same skill level with you. It also encourages you to continue to play the game more as you learn the f2p rotation each week instead of being blasted by the overwhelming amount of heroes as well working towards which ones you want to buy with the ingame money.

League and all the other MOBA's with similar systems still have large playerbases and I seriously doubt people would continue to play these games if it was pay-2-win.

Ive played dota since 2009

My problem is that I'm already very familiar with MOBAs and want to get stuck in and learn heroes, but when I try to play LoL or HotS I'm hit with a pay wall or a grind wall and I just think "I could be playing dota which doesnt have these restrictions instead"

Moonlight

Banned

My problem is that I'm already very familiar with MOBAs and want to get stuck in and learn heroes, but when I try to play LoL or HotS I'm hit with a pay wall or a grind wall and I just think "I could be playing dota which doesnt have these restrictions instead"
I think that's fair. I kind of think in the opposite direction. I think it's disingenuous to suggest it's anti-competitive, is all.

Skrams

I was literally coming in here to say how JC3 is the laziest video they've put up on Machinima. I don't know how you can play a game where you make your own hilarity and make a boring video of the opening 20 minutes.
Yeah, I'll quote my other post too.
Matt defends the kind of shitty JC3 video by saying they started the game up and that's what came out. It's a quick look, so playing hours of the game beforehand would be against that idea. Pretty shitty defending when they've done plenty of videos where they're farther in the game, have already completed the game, or are level hopping around to show off stuff. I also continue to not understand the deal of pooping out a video like this and thinking, eh, mediocre look at the game, good enough for machinima.
The machinima videos as of late feel a lot lazier. Matt says they're quick looks even though they've never really labeled it as that at all. Even then the typical QL is more than the tutorial and meant to actually showcase a regular chunk of the game. Quick Looks aren't the first 45 minutes chopped into random tidbits with justcus jokes and driving a tractor into a hay bale.

I dunno, maybe play 2-3 hours then decide if it's good for a video instead of just popping it in and recording guys? Or choose an older proven game like you've done before instead of having to do a new release?

Neol

Agree that the recent Machinima videos feel lazier. Just feels like there just doing it for the sake of giving something to Machinima to put up and just popping in new games means they'll never really try to get an impression of it.

I would also love if they played some old/obscure games like back in the day but in reality they would just put it up on there main channel as a mystery box.

That's completely understandable. As Moonlight said, it just felt like your initial comment made it sound like you dismissed the competitiveness of it and implied a strong pay-2-win game.

Breads

Banned
Dota has a limited heroes mode in which only 20 or so simpler heroes are available to pick, so that mostly solves that problem. Whenever you feel like you've gotten the hang of the game you can move on to the normal modes, in which you're still allowed to pick the same easy hero over and over again, so I'm not sure why it matters that every hero is unlocked from the get go. I'm sure most people can manage to realize by themselves that they should probably stick to tutorial heroes without the game locking every other hero off.

That mode has done a lot of work in what used to take me hours and hours of teaching people. It's definitely a good example in where it clearly surpasses the rest of the mobas.

What I don't like though are the bots. You can't play mind games or discombobulate bots. You can't surprise them. They have frame 1 situational awareness and frame perfect last hits/ trades/ combos. Although the AI is far from "player good" there are aspects of bot play that you simply don't find in regular games. Example - while trying to help a friend learn the ropes I took my broodmother to defend radiant side mid lane and went between the trees and the ledge to the left side and attempted to poke/harass/ disrupt. I didn't even have time to retreat into the fog or go invisible again despite being well within the web. The instant I shot the first nuke out PA had already blinked to me and the rest had already chain nuked me dead.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah, I'll quote my other post too.

The machinima videos as of late feel a lot lazier. Matt says they're quick looks even though they've never really labeled it as that at all. Even then the typical QL is more than the tutorial and meant to actually showcase a regular chunk of the game. Quick Looks aren't the first 45 minutes chopped into random tidbits with justcus jokes and driving a tractor into a hay bale.

I dunno, maybe play 2-3 hours then decide if it's good for a video instead of just popping it in and recording guys? Or choose an older proven game like you've done before instead of having to do a new release?

Totally. I know Matt takes a lot of criticism personally and goes on the defensive but come on man. He must know what he said was total bollocks.

They can't give the fan base shit for dog-piling them about stuff and then do lazy stuff like this and not expect people to see it.

Matsukaze

I'm also really glad Old Blood and Old Hunters are ending. I didn't want to watch either without playing the game first, so it's nice to have some new blood again. Also yes puns.
I'll miss the Old Hunters; the commentary and hype were strong between all of three of them. On the other hand, Wolfenstein has been nothing special, so I'm okay with that one coming to a close.

I just need something to distract me from the imploding FFX LP. Lucky we're getting a Woolie Madden Gaiden LP starting at the end of the week. That should do nicely.

Meffer

I'll miss the Old Hunters; the commentary and hype were strong between all of three of them. On the other hand, Wolfenstein has been nothing special, so I'm okay with that one coming to a close.

I just need something to distract me from the imploding FFX LP. Lucky we're getting a Woolie Madden Gaiden LP starting at the end of the week. That should do nicely.

I actually like the FFX LP. They've been been hitting it out of the of the park.

I think it's time for a capcom lp again. They always seem to have a good lp when they go down that path. Liam castlevania lp or a nier lp would be great to see as well.

Meffer

I envy you lol. I've found it to be dreadfully bad (admittedly it has its moments), and I absolutely love FFX.

Please look forward to the Zaibatsu card game "Madden: the Gathering".

I have mixed feeling with 10, the game. Great battle system but the story is awful and Tidus is the worst dippy little shit. So seeing them going through the game enjoying at making fun of it is a pleasure. I like their implications that Wakka says long racist rants making long pregnant pauses for the group. They make it seem like it's the most horrible, awkward, hilarious adventure, which it is. It just cracks me up.

Skrams

It's time for an Sonic Adventure 2 LP. Complete the circle.

This feels like a thing that is months in the making just like Sonic Adventure was recorded over a few months. But yeah, I also need it.

Matt says they're planning a live Spindash Quicklook at MAG Fest, and a lot of people in the SomethingAwful thread have been pushing for Sonic Shuffle to be played. Either way, there will be a Sonic related something relatively soon.

No one ever talks about Sonic Shuffle. It really should be Sonic Shuffle since it's just worser Mario Party dickery. Also an OP CPU will win because fuck Sonic Shuffle.

Matt says they're planning a live Spindash Quicklook at MAG Fest, and a lot of people in the SomethingAwful thread have been pushing for Sonic Shuffle to be played. Either way, there will be a Sonic related something relatively soon.

Matsukaze

I'm gonna wait as long as it takes to get an SBF Mario Party Party.
I will watch that Mario Party Brawl video with the fucked-up audio until the end of time. If a new Mario Party vid could produce even one-fourth the humor that video did, I would be rolling on the floor with laughter.

Xux

This
Naruto: The Old Bonds
series is off to a pretty good start. Almost makes me want to go back and finish reading the series like the guys say they're afraid will happen to happen them.

Unfortunate that Pat doesn't like Dota 2 but I don't blame him. The current tutorials are pretty shite but you're almost guaranteed to be matched with noobs if you play public matchmaking.

There are a lot of items but there's a default build guide supplied by Valve for every hero and like dozens community made ones that are accessible ingame. There's a mode that limiteds the selectable hero pool to simple noob-friendly heroes as well.

His criticism of the lone dota 2 map is also very strange since he argued for it's inherent value for the metagame a couple of podcasts ago.

If Pat ever gets bored of HotS but still is interested in MOBAs he should just ask followers to help him in Dota. I wouldn't mind lending a hand.

Skrams

So is that Gundam Thunderbolt thing only one episode so far? That was a pretty great introduction.

Yeah, it's an OVA. 1 episode is out and 3 others will come out in the next few months or something like that.

I enjoyed it, but I'm also even more confused about what the appeal of Gundam is to people now. It's been 10+ years since I watched anything Gundam. I started watching Iron Blooded Orphans when it started which Woolie seems to only have complained about. I need to listen to this podcast still to hear his and Pat's Gundam talk, but I was always lead to believe a good chunk of Gundam was guys sitting in rooms talking. All I've heard is Woolie complaining because too much talking is in his Gundam IBO while Gundam Thunderbolt is 95% fighting. So I'm confused about what Gundam is anymore, but whatever. I think IBO is alright.

ArjanN

Wolfenstein The Old Blood is a fun game, but there's less of the interesting character moments/set pieces than in the New Order, so there's a bit less to play off of for them.

I actually like the FFX LP. They've been been hitting it out of the of the park.

Yeah, it's OK, i think it's inherently just almost impossible to take FFX seriously with how dumb most of the voice acting and characters are.

Moonlight

Banned
Was it 'the 08th MS team' that pat was watching first out of the gundangs?
It was one of the later ones, but basically anything out of the Universal Century timeline seeks to ape the aesthetic of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and it's' following series, which began around 1979.

08th MS Team doesn't resemble them much, though, in terms of direction and tone. Alongside War in the Pocket, they're the default recommendations for people who want to watch Gundam.

Top Bottom