• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Yeah, it's an OVA. 1 episode is out and 3 others will come out in the next few months or something like that.

I enjoyed it, but I'm also even more confused about what the appeal of Gundam is to people now. It's been 10+ years since I watched anything Gundam. I started watching Iron Blooded Orphans when it started which Woolie seems to only have complained about. I need to listen to this podcast still to hear his and Pat's Gundam talk, but I was always lead to believe a good chunk of Gundam was guys sitting in rooms talking. All I've heard is Woolie complaining because too much talking is in his Gundam IBO while Gundam Thunderbolt is 95% fighting. So I'm confused about what Gundam is anymore, but whatever. I think IBO is alright.
It's Japanese military scifi with giant robots and international politics. That's the appeal (not counting male & female oriented fanservice/character designs).

Skrams

It's Japanese military scifi with giant robots and international politics. That's the appeal (not counting male & female oriented fanservice/character designs).

Well yeah, I get that. I feel like I said as much. I just don't get what people are there for more, the giant robots fighting or the people politicsing in rooms. Woolie said Thunderbolt might be a good thing to show people who want to get into Gundam, but if I watched that then I would be lead to believe a lot of Gundam is fighting when it has a good chunks of guys in rooms talking I assume. So I'm just confused if Woolie has a different image of what Gundam is then what most people do. Fighting outweighs politics, vice versa, or 50/50.

ArjanN

Does Thunderbolt really mean anything to non manga readers?

1181242142170.png

Well yeah, I get that. I feel like I said as much. I just don't get what people are there for more, the giant robots fighting or the people politicsing in rooms. Woolie said Thunderbolt might be a good thing to show people who want to get into Gundam, but if I watched that then I would be lead to believe a lot of Gundam is fighting when it has a good chunks of guys in rooms talking I assume. So I'm just confused if Woolie has a different image of what Gundam is then what most people do. Fighting outweighs politics, vice versa, or 50/50.
Oh, I get where you're coming from, but the problem is that some of the installments are more like that, so technically that image of Gundam is valid.

But it's really closer to 50/50.
Does Thunderbolt really mean anything to non manga readers?
You don't need to know anything from the vast, shitty UC EU to comprehend Thunderbolt.

Xux

Hey, a Fisticuffs I can watch without feeling depressed about my lack of skill.
Because it's a SMS where they play a Sonic MUGEN thing.

Crash on the first match. GG Woolie.

Finally got to the IBO part of the podcast and holy shit does Woolie not realize how much better the world is for not having a Crossbone Gundam adaptation. It's the goofiest shit imaginable.

Also, yeah, I get the feeling that Woolie's taste is hard to pin down, because he's really into UC and wants that version of Gundam, which doesn't appeal to people outside of the OVAs because Tomino is a crazy man, it's super dated in a lot respects, and the whole "Zeon = Nazis/Imperial Japan" thing. IBO is more for western people who like modern military scifi and stuff like Band of Brothers, so there's less focus on the plot, politics, and fighting and more on characters and their dynamics.

I wonder how these GameGrump videos turned out...
It's on YouTube now:
youtu.be/52Gzp8mQms4

Matsukaze

You know WWE has permanently crippled your faith in the product when you read news about them approaching Nakamura Shinsuke and your immediate reaction is "R.I.P. Nakamura."

I wonder what Matt will think.

Skrams

I wonder how these GameGrump videos turned out...

I thought it was pretty good. It's been a while since I watched anything Game Grumps, but I enjoyed it. Matt and Woolie were Matt and Woolie while Arin and Dan brought a bit more character to the game since it had none at all. I forgot how good on the ears Arin and Dan's voices are too.

Xux

I think my first Gundam was G Gundam, and that's what I want Gundam to be.

Probably why I ended up liking Build Fighters so much.
I'm kinda scared to watch the others 'cause they're apparently different from Gundam Wing which I'm most familiar with. Wish there was an easy way to watch all them but they weren't on any streaming service last I checked.

I'm kinda scared to watch the others 'cause they're apparently different from Gundam Wing which I'm most familiar with. Wish there was an easy way to watch all them but they weren't on any streaming service last I checked.
A bunch are on Gundam Info's Youtube channel and IBO is on Daisuki.net.

I'd say Season 1 of 00 is the closest you'd get to what you want, in so far as the main characters and their Gundams are a group launching small coordinated strikes against the Earth governments and their military, though it's not for forcing them to stop oppressing the space colonies (as there are none) so much as it is "eliminating all conflict" in the world. A goal that is quite frankly fucking insane when you think about the methods being utilized. There's even a princess character who knows the main protagonist.

I liked it just fine, especially as someone who's first Gundam was also Wing, though I never bothered with Season 2 as that relied more and traditional Gundam tropes and archetypes, and from some spoilers I read, certain developments that seemed to really stretch the boundaries of what I'd consider acceptable for a "real robot" show.

I'd say Season 1 of 00 is the closest you'd get to what you want, in so far as the main characters and their Gundams are a group launching small coordinated strikes against the Earth governments and their military, though it's not for forcing them to stop oppressing the space colonies (as there are none) so much as it is "eliminating all conflict" in the world. A goal that is quite frankly fucking insane when you think about the methods being utilized. There's even a princess character who knows the main protagonist.

I liked it just fine, especially as someone who's first Gundam was also Wing, though I never bothered with Season 2 as that relied more and traditional Gundam tropes and archetypes, and from some spoilers I read, certain developments that seemed to really stretch the boundaries of what I'd consider acceptable for a "real robot" show.
Oh yeah, 00 S1 is good if you're familiar with western military scifi, but 00 S2 shits the bed due to the executive meddling that Woolie complains about in the podcast. The 00 movie tries really hard to get back a lot of the 00 S1 elements, but the movie length hurts it, along with the writer and director beating you in the face with the message. There are some great fight scenes in that movie, though.

I was waiting for someone to "oh snap!" after Pat said that the next Assassin's Creed will probably have better combat than the Witcher 3, but the oh snap never came, and then I had to re-evaluate whether or not the statement was oh snap worthy.

I haven't decided, but it has made me slightly depressed.

I was waiting for someone to "oh snap!" after Pat said that the next Assassin's Creed will probably have better combat than the Witcher 3, but the oh snap never came, and then I had to re-evaluate whether or not the statement was oh snap worthy.

I haven't decided, but it has made me slightly depressed.
Is there anyone that's impressed by Witcher's combat? I don't think it's "Oh snap" worthy.

If someone says "X will probably have better combat than Witcher 3" it really wouldn't say much.

Is there anyone that's impressed by Witcher's combat? I don't think it's "Oh snap" worthy.

If someone says "X will probably have better combat than Witcher 3" it really wouldn't say much.

I wouldn't really say there's anything impressive about it, but it's fine. That's more than a lot of games can say.

Edzi

Good to know the grumps are still as terrible as ever. Not 2 minutes in and they're already forcing jokes and making dumb voices.

Neo Holland still commands the apex of all Gundam technology.

As a dutch person, I take offense to that design.

Also, since we're talking Gundam. Just caught up with Iron Blooded Orphans and boy, it's really good. Love the mix of mobster cinima and space opera. Cool kids killing shit kids and kid-based drama that's well realized and believable.
Also what's up with the weird (maybe?) pederast sub-plot?

Definitely one of my favourite anime's of the season.

Good to know the grumps are still as terrible as ever. Not 2 minutes in and they're already forcing jokes and making dumb voices.

I feel like Matt was the weakest in that episode, Grumps were honestly fine. Yes they do dumb voices but Matt and Woolie do dumb injokes so it evens out.

The_Poet

Banned
Grumps have a totally different style, more improv and pod-casty

SBF's are more about references and pointing out dumb shit in the games

I like them both

Been catching up on the Friday Night Fistycuffs.

Gang Beats had me in tears...XD

What rendering software are you guys using? I user premier and usually get a 30min video done in about an hour. I want to be schedule multiple videos to render, but media encoder increases the time to 2.5 hours.

I agree with Pat. I thought the romance between these idiots
was insufferable.

I know that opinion bugs some people who really like the couple, but they drove me nuts.
Shiro's a fucking moron, but he's still way fucking better than Kou Uraki, that lame, retarded piece of shit.
Also, since we're talking Gundam. Just caught up with Iron Blooded Orphans and boy, it's really good. Love the mix of mobster cinima and space opera. Cool kids killing shit kids and kid-based drama that's well realized and believable.
Also what's up with the weird (maybe?) pederast sub-plot?

Definitely one of my favourite anime's of the season.
McGilis's whole thing is to show the politics of Gjallahorn, which apparently future aristocratic bullshit and power alliances, which is why you get political marriages between
a bastard son and his best friend's little sister

I thought I considered Assassin's Creed's/Shadow of Mordor's "one-button" combat the absolute nadir of combat system design, but then Pat forced me to evaluate whether or not Witcher 3's is actually worse.

I think, for as little non-combat content as it has (AC at least has parkour), it probably is. AC isn't (or at least shouldn't) be trying to have combat as the primary game mechanic, but the Witcher seems to want to hang its hat on the combat system. (I'd argue both games rely on their combat far, far more than they ought to, regardless, just with the Witcher it seems like an intentional ground-up choice whereas with AC one of the game designers sneaks in after everyone else is done and just starts splashing masses of enemies on the canvas while laughing maniacally.)

Edzi

So ... just like super best friends.

Not even close. As much as they push it sometimes, I don't think they've ever sunk as low as the grumps when it comes to straight up phoning it in.

I feel like Matt was the weakest in that episode, Grumps were honestly fine. Yes they do dumb voices but Matt and Woolie do dumb injokes so it evens out.

Yeah, I can see that. Of all the best friends, Matt is the closest to the Grumps' style of loud and random, so he's more prone to falling completely flat.

Village

Not even close. As much as they push it sometimes, I don't think they've ever sunk as low as the grumps when it comes to straight up phoning it in.

I think we are forgetting matt's entire shtick

I think we are forgetting the age of woolie the liar theif , face off, and fart gass, and may more over used jokes.

Matsukaze

So I'm not a Vessel subscriber but I hopped over there to browse what's coming up. For some reason, though I don't have an account, I can watch the Wolfenstein final video, even though it says it is still an exclusive atm. Am I missing something?

So I'm not a Vessel subscriber but I hopped over there to browse what's coming up. For some reason, though I don't have an account, I can watch the Wolfenstein final video, even though it says it is still an exclusive atm. Am I missing something?
I think they made it available just incase their youtube bot doesn't unprivate the videos.

Skrams

Weird, they're marked as 72 hour exclusive, but I'm able to watch the Wolfenstein Finale and FFX Part 16. Usually they're not marked as 72 hour exclusive and still available to view. Dunno.
where in the hell is the Bloodborne finale

Should be today I would think? I'd guess 3 PM probably.

Weird, they're marked as 72 hour exclusive, but I'm able to watch the Wolfenstein Finale and FFX Part 16. Usually they're not marked as 72 hour exclusive and still available to view. Dunno.

Should be today I would think? I'd guess 3 PM probably.

Unless pat can't seal the deal lol

Top Bottom