• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

If Woolie could get over a hundred episodes deep into shlock like Naruto, there's no reason he couldn't handle the brilliance of Gintama. Same with all of them, really. They need to see the light.

To be fair, Naruto was pretty goddamn solid until Shippuden. Zabuza and Haku were, and still are the coolest even with the series now over.

To be fair, Naruto was pretty goddamn solid until Shippuden. Zabuza and Haku were, and still are the coolest even with the series now over.

Eh, I think that particular arc was where everything died. Once they started shaping Sausage into the main antagonist, there was this really rotten feeling.

Neol

The best arc in Naruto doesn't happen until Shippuden. Early Naruto is overrated as fuck.

Ehhh I don't know.

I say most of the arcs in early Naruto are better then Shippuden. The only one I can think of that is universally agreed to be one of the best in Shippuden is the Pain arc.

Moaradin

Ehhh I don't know.

I say most of the arcs in early Naruto are better then Shippuden. The only one I can think of that is universally agreed to be one of the best in Shippuden is the Pain arc.

That one is good but that's not even the one I'm thinking about. The Immortals arc is easily the best arc in all of Naruto. It's paced decently well, has a few really well animated episodes and one of the best fights in the series, and Shikamaru (the best character in Naruto) becomes the main character.

That one is good but that's not even the one I'm thinking about. The Immortals arc is easily the best arc in all of Naruto. It's paced decently well, has a few really well animated episodes and one of the best fights in the series, and Shikamaru (the best character in Naruto) becomes the main character.

Shikamaru was a good anime. Shame that Naruto had to come back.

Squishy3

Naruto is just the most inconsistent thing in the world.

At least Bleach was consistently bad after Ichigo saved Rukia. Only way to experience Naruto is through the Ultimate Ninja Storm games

joe2187

Banned
Naruto is just the most inconsistent thing in the world.

At least Bleach was consistently bad after Ichigo saved Rukia. Only way to experience Naruto is through the Ultimate Ninja Storm games

Give me the Visuals and engine used for the Ninja Storm games, and the gameplay of Life is Strange and make it a Visual Novel of the Manga MONSTER.

Skrams

Keep burning the Gintama oil you guys. You'll reach those pearly gates someday.
Give me the Visuals and engine used for the Ninja Storm games, and the gameplay of Life is Strange and make it a Visual Novel of the Manga MONSTER.
I don't not want that, but I have to say that is a spectacular waste of money. I still want it no doubt though.
That's where it died? That's the first arc of the series bro.
That's considered the first arc when it's 80 something episodes in?

Squishy3

My ideal next project for CC2 is after they finish Naruto they just subsequently go through every major Jump property. They've already done Naruto justice (if not more so since it looks better than the anime) so naturally One Piece would be next and would be a welcome addition since Toei's production of One Piece is completely laughable and the low points now are lower than they've ever been. I don't see them coming back to Jojo's after Eyes of Heaven.

That's considered the first arc when it's 80 something episodes in?

Zabuza ends around the 20's.

My ideal next project for CC2 is after they finish Naruto they just subsequently go through every major Jump property. They've already done Naruto justice (if not more so since it looks better than the anime) so naturally One Piece would be next and would be a welcome addition since Toei's production of One Piece is completely laughable and the low points now are lower than they've ever been. I don't see them coming back to Jojo's after Eyes of Heaven.

Toei makes me so fucking upset with how trashy they treat One Piece. I'm ashamed to even recommend the One Piece anime to anyone these days because it's taken such a nose dive from what it used to be.

man i just read the news as i usually do right before the 8pm vid
cant believe the voice actress for Yugiri from FF XIV was killed along with her kids, i loved her character =(
I wish all the tetra flares on the piece of shit that did it

Squishy3

cant believe the voice actress for Yugiri from FF XIV was killed along with her kids, i loved her character =(
servers are holding vigils for her, pretty great

servers are holding vigils for her, pretty great

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she the one who just voiced like 3 new lines? Yugiri barely had any dialogue at all.

Someone got killed, that sucks. I don't see any reason to make a big deal about someone who barely did anything though.

I didn't think Sasuke was shaped up to be the antagonist in the first arc like episode 20, but I'm speaking from 10 year old knowledge so eh.

That happened during the Chuunin Exams, culminating with the fight at the Valley of the End.

Zabuza arc is GOAT arc. THE defining moment for the series, imo. Other arcs might be on-par if not better, depending on who you ask, but this was the arc with which Naruto came into it's own.

Skrams

Welp, finally listened the podcast. Maddentown is pretty amazing as everyone has already mentioned. Pat heard me in the future say "what if this wedding is incest?" and made the joke in the past. If anyone has the last name Madden they better be careful who they marry or date. Anyone could be another Madden. You, me, your pet, anyone.

I also get why Woolie is down on IBO since it's not great relative to the best Gundams probably. I haven't watched much Gundam, so I'm enjoying it fine. And well yeah, it's an anime. People have anime hair. I'm still enjoying children killing people though.

And fuck off Pat. Watch Part 1 of SAO again. It's not good. Stop it. Stop. It. I don't care that you want to live in a VR world. Stop it.
The whole ninja school part doesn't count as an arc?

I guess I'm in the same boat as Skrams. I thought there was a lot more before Sauske getting captured.

Yeah, I'm sure if I rewatched it now there's hints or ideas pointing to Sasuke being a poop and antagonist, but I'm thinking of the fight near the waterfall which is I guess in the hundreds or something? That's around where I hopped off the series at least.

convo

Can't wait for the Naruto LP in which Woolie gives his insight to the entire Naruto plot and world. I want his explanation on how and why some dude in Naruto created
the moon?

I just want Bleach's mangaka to do full-time character designs for other artists. Like, he clearly has no interest in telling stories (or even drawing a background), he just wants to constantly churn out new character designs and dress them up in fashionable clothes.

Fucking use it, man. Be like Toriyama and just design characters for video games while someone else does the rest.

I just want Bleach's mangaka to do full-time character designs for other artists. Like, he clearly has no interest in telling stories (or even drawing a background), he just wants to constantly churn out new character designs and dress them up in fashionable clothes.

Fucking use it, man. Be like Toriyama and just design characters for video games while someone else does the rest.
Dude, people I've been talking to (and myself) have been saying that for years.

That said, I get why he's milking Bleach for all its worth, because it was his fifth attempt to get serialized and the only one that actually made it big.

Moonlight

Banned
And fuck off Pat. Watch Part 1 of SAO again. It's not good. Stop it. Stop. It. I don't care that you want to live in a VR world. Stop it.
Apparently the second cour was so bad that it made him forget the half of part 1 where nothing happens, the episode where nothing happens and nothing matters, the other episode where nothing happens except for the creepy dude trying to fuck Asuna, and the episode where they realized they needed an ending and too much happened at once too fast.

SAO's pretty bad.

Apparently the second cour was so bad that it made him forget the half of part 1 where nothing happens, the episode where nothing happens and nothing matters, the other episode where nothing happens except for the creepy dude trying to fuck Asuna, and the episode where they realized they needed an ending and too much happened at once too fast.

SAO's pretty bad.
The second season GGO arc is so terrible in a lot of ways, although the fact that it ends on a meeting where characters fucking regurgitate the stuff the villain fucking admitted was oddly hilarious.

The AIDS-chan arc was also kind of hilarious
because for once, the terminal illness was actually AIDS and not mysterious disease #43980438023

If Woolie could get over a hundred episodes deep into shlock like Naruto, there's no reason he couldn't handle the brilliance of Gintama. Same with all of them, really. They need to see the light.

Considering Woolie is the person who compared early HxH to Naruto, its not really that surprising.

Pat also gave Gintama a shot, but was so confused since the first episode or so of Gintama start really weird since they're technically filler episodes. The show doesn't actually "begin" until episode 3 iirc. And even then, most agree that Gintama doesn't really start hitting it's stride until episode 25 (even if I think the early parts are really good as well).

kewlmyc

Are you talking about the manga or the anime, because the anime's pace during that arc was garbage from what I remember.

Considering Woolie is the person who compared early HxH to Naruto, its not really that surprising.

Pat also gave Gintama a shot, but was so confused since the first episode or so of Gintama start really weird since they're technically filler episodes. The show doesn't actually "begin" until episode 3 iirc. And even then, most agree that Gintama doesn't really start hitting it's stride until episode 25 (even if I think the early parts are really good as well).

It's the same reason I can't really give them shit for not liking HxH. That show doesn't get good imo until the Yorknew Arc, which starts at like episode 40 or so.

sjay1994

The second season GGO arc is so terrible in a lot of ways, although the fact that it ends on a meeting where characters fucking regurgitate the stuff the villain fucking admitted was oddly hilarious.

The AIDS-chan arc
was also kind of hilarious
because for once, the terminal illness was actually AIDS and not mysterious disease #43980438023

What? Does this actually happen in SAO?

I couldn't even make it halfway through season 1.

Are you talking about the manga or the anime, because the anime's pace during that arc was garbage from what I remember.

There are anime exclusive scenes that actually really help develop Shikamaru as the main character of that arc. And there's also a director they hire (can't remember the name) for a few episodes that animates some of the more intense moments of that arc. You could make the argument for that arc that the anime is actually better.

Having recently rewatched it in a weekly format, the pacing is actually really good, though it does start slow as nothing really happens in the first couple episodes of the arc besides a moment here or there.

What? Does this actually happen in SAO?

I couldn't even make it halfway through season 1.

Super AIDS is a thing, yes.

kewlmyc

There are anime exclusive scenes that actually really help develop Shikamaru as the main character of that arc. And there's also a director they hire (can't remember the name) for a few episodes that animates some of the more intense moments of that arc. You could make the argument for that arc that the anime is actually better.

Having recently rewatched it in a weekly format, the pacing is actually really good, though it does start slow as nothing really happens in the first couple episodes of it besides a moment here or there.

I do remember the Asuma funeral episode being really good, but I also remember the fight before it being like 3 episodes of standing and talking, which it wasn't in the manga. You'll probably have better memory of it than me though.

Despite censoring Shikamaru taking up smoking, the Shikamaru vs Hidan fight was pretty faithful.

I do remember the Asuma funeral episode being really good, but I also remember the fight before it being like 3 episodes of standing and talking, which it wasn't in the manga. You'll probably have better memory of it than me though.

Despite censoring Shikamaru taking up smoking, the Shikamaru vs Hidan fight was pretty faithful.

Yeah, I'll also admit that the confrontation outside the collector's building went on a bit too long as well as a certain character's death. It could've gone a bit faster, but for Naruto standards the arc itself still had really good pacing. That might not be saying much though.

aly

Naruto is a weird thing for me. I know there's a lot of dumb stuff, but I still find everything super enjoyable. I feel true shame in knowing my Naruto lore so well. Totally understand their feelings about Gintama too. Those first few episodes were awful to trudge through and the references can be all over the place. Of course, I'm glad that I came back and stuck with it but yeah.

tsundoku

vessel dong quest 2
matt admonishing rare for lazily recoloring water red as 'lava' after already playing a level with actual lava in it, and acknowledging that the magic seals are cooling the boiling water down

and then of course have to compare every game that you find difficult to dark souls using weak analogies...

at least he chilled out way more in ep 2 than ep 1's 16 minutes of continuous commentary
since he didnt test this game i'm assuming by episode 7 he will run out of commentary and bring on plague for monkey sex facts, or start reading from the official dkc2 long form novelization of our youth?

Skrams

Cryme Tyme - The Sopranos: Road To Respect

Available on Vessel for free

Anyone want to be nice and time stamp Sopranos spoilers?

SAO's pretty bad.
You forgot the episodes where he collected more waifus. Also we're married now and this cottage and we have an internet baby and I fucking hate everything.
It's the same reason I can't really give them shit for not liking HxH. That show doesn't get good imo until the Yorknew Arc, which starts at like episode 40 or so.
Yeah, the exams are a good 25 episodes and the heavens arena is another 15 or so. They're fine, but I think Yorknew was where I started caring more because the Phantom Troupe was cool.

Nordicus

Also, the episode with THE ASS.

Not simply "an ass", oh no, because the animators reeeeeeeally wanted to keep those buns visible in all the conversations their owner had.

tsundoku

SAO is bad but not any worse than generic anime cringebad and a better offering than say, bleach. Log Horizon is very good and nerds make me mad when they dont like it cause its that intense political guild drama shit i live for

All this talk of anime makes me sad that I rarely hear School Rumble mentioned...

Also, Kuroyukihime > Asuna, even if I probably would never recommend either's anime.

Jintor

SAO is bad but not any worse than generic anime cringebad and a better offering than say, bleach. Log Horizon is very good and nerds make me mad when they dont like it cause its that intense political guild drama shit i live for

I think sao is among the worst anime I've ever seen and in existence but mainly that's as a reaction to its popularity which I cannot comprehend, but other than that I agree.

Log horizon so good, imagine if that show had budget

Skrams

All this talk of anime makes me sad that I rarely hear School Rumble mentioned...

Also, Kuroyukihime > Asuna, even if I probably would never recommend either's anime.
Woolie has mentioned School Rumble once or twice I think. Also yeah, I'm not sure why School Rumble is never mentioned much either. That and Azumanga Daioh are kind of the popular skit school stuff from the early 2000s that I thought a lot of people would of seen. School Rumble is pretty good. Bummer that I'll have to read the manga if I ever want to see an ending. Or I could watch an OVA somewhere probably.
I think sao is among the worst anime I've ever seen and in existence but mainly that's as a reaction to its popularity which I cannot comprehend, but other than that I agree.

Log horizon so good, imagine if that show had budget

Yeah, added with its popularity make it worse in my eyes. SAO is also still pretty terrible even when compared to your most basic schlock.

You would also think Log Horizon would have more budget with all those taxes the creator tried to evade.
Yes, I know that's not how anime budgets work.

Nordicus

Well, when something ends as badly as School Rumble did, can you blame people?

Such a shame too, had so much promise. Now I place my hopes on Jitsu wa Watashi wa to be the long-running romcom that remains great from start to finish.
DUrWmAr.jpg
Just the manga tho. The anime is garbage and ruins even the best jokes

Top Bottom