• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

So I started a new game of darkest dungeon after woolie was complaining about how hard it was a few podcasts back(the Christmas cast maybe?) and man was I disappointed. There is something about this game, where I want it to be hard, but after my first play through ever where I had to restart because I was completely fucked, I've ever since found the game to be rather easy... I'm only a few weeks(week 8 or so) in my new game and the idea of sending out a bunch of expendable recruits to nearly die sounds like more of a waste of time then a useful way to make money(before my last mission i had 5k gold left after upgrading everyone, sending them to reduce stress and buying all my provisions for the next mission). Even doing no torch runs(which give you tons of cash) and getting the pitch black hard mode mod didn't change much. Weird thing is if it were any other game I think the difficulty would be perfect, but for Darkest Dungeon, I am just kinda disappointed(the abomination class is fucking sick tho, so thats good).

Also Log Horizon is great, but that might be just because I am reminded of (pre-level 99 cap) FFXI (A real mans mmo, not your babby ones like wow and ffxiv) whenever I look at it.

Edzi

I actually marathoned Naruto a few years ago (skipped all filler) and even continued with the manga for a while after I caught up. It was generic shonen that was fairly entertaining throughout most of the series, but even I had to tap out when literally every character who ever died started getting ressurected for no reason. It was clear that the author had no idea how to write, and the anime was mostly carried by the action and music.

I have a similar relationship to Bleach, but I'm still keeping up with that out of spite.

Disgraced

v2lYom.gif

ArjanN

Considering Woolie is the person who compared early HxH to Naruto, its not really that surprising.

Well they are similar early on. Hell. the Ninja exam was basically a copy of the Hunter exam bit, and HxH's start is a lot more generic shounen at first, it's only later on that it becomes all about subverting those tropes.

Naruto was only pretty good for the first story arc or two and then tapers off into being mediocre/bad, while HxH takes about a season to find it's footing and then becomes consistently great.

IMO the difference in quality probably comes from HxH being written as entire story arcs at a time, while stuff like Naruto, Bleach etc feels like the story is just made up on a weekly basis, so it's nothing but Deus Ex Machinas, inconsistent characters and power levels etc.

And fuck off Pat. Watch Part 1 of SAO again. It's not good. Stop it. Stop. It. I don't care that you want to live in a VR world. Stop it.

HxH also has a "live in the MMO" story arc, He should just give that another try, once you get past the first season it's great and he powers through much worse stuff all the time.

Woof the audio balance here. Still working out the kinks with this new audio system. Matt sounds like he's got a muzzle on.

Still, they're so much clearer than before. I'm so glad they're not in an echo chamber.

Well, when something ends as badly as School Rumble did, can you blame people?

Such a shame too, had so much promise. Now I place my hopes on Jitsu wa Watashi wa to be the long-running romcom that remains great from start to finish. Just the manga tho. The anime is garbage and ruins even the best jokes

Haha, I never really hated the ending. It was abrupt, sure, and essentially something meaningless scrapped together to make an end. But I like that there was no real finality to it (at least for certain characters). Maybe to me, that means a sequel can happen someday
(I think I've given up on this now)
. Then again, I waited so long for a proper season 3 that never came (the biggest injustice in anime), that maybe I was just happy to finally continue the story, even if in manga form (I've never been a big manga guy).

SR is still far and away my favourite anime/manga. It was the only one where I felt a tinge of sadness at finishing the story as that meant I'd never hear from these awesome characters again.

Speaking of Jitsu wa Watashi wa though, I watched the anime, and overall it was too over the top for me, but man, do I love the Kansai dialect the lead female has. That kept me coming back. Working! was my awesome romcom of last year (is it romcom or just com?).

Woolie has mentioned School Rumble once or twice I think. Also yeah, I'm not sure why School Rumble is never mentioned much either. That and Azumanga Daioh are kind of the popular skit school stuff from the early 2000s that I thought a lot of people would of seen. School Rumble is pretty good. Bummer that I'll have to read the manga if I ever want to see an ending. Or I could watch an OVA somewhere probably.
Has he? Ah, well, it won't leave a big impression on everyone (assuming he has watched it).

The final OVAs don't do the story justice, a number of really cool things happen after season 2 that is just ever briefly touched on in the OVA. It does flow well, so you can kinda understand what's going on, but SR was always great at the little things within the mainly unchanging overarching story. I do think the manga is worthwhile if you care.

It was somewhat random to hear Sasha Banks say she loves School Rumble too.

Wow, Woolie going full weeb in the Naruto video. How much of that man's brain space is dedicated to Japanese jutsu names and boss characters?

Moaradin

I'm all caught up with the Naruto anime. It's in the middle of endless filler bullshit so now is a bad time to get into it. Maybe when it finishes and you can get a good guide without any of the filler. It has some good stuff here and there. Even then, there's still much better shonen out there like Hunter x Hunter and Gintama.

I'm all caught up with the Naruto anime. It's in the middle of endless filler bullshit so now is a bad time to get into it. Maybe when it finishes and you can get a good guide without any of the filler. It has some good stuff here and there. Even then, there's still much better shonen out there like Hunter x Hunter and Gintama.

You're damned right there's better shonen out there, especially Hunter x Hunter and Gintama. I somehow always click this thread whenever Gintama is mentioned.

That current manga and anime arc in Gintama. So good. SO GOOD. I can't believe Gintama and Assassination Classroom will be done this year

Jintor

You would also think Log Horizon would have more budget with all those taxes the creator tried to evade.
Yes, I know that's not how anime budgets work.

if it was how budgets worked it'd be a pretty good explanation for why LH didn't have any budget!

kewlmyc

With any long running shounen, it's probably just better to read the fillerless manga.

Or just play the Ultimate Ninja Storm games.

Fat4all

Banned
Vessel spoilers for Matt's
Dong Quest.

Jeez, so this was recorded before E3 of last year? He must of been super sandbagged.

How is there an ongoing conversation about "shonen better than Naruto" that isn't entirely about One Punch Man, the shonen so good that it makes no one give a single shit that Dragonball Z is back?

(Also, it looks better than HxH. Even with the original webcomic art.)

How is there an ongoing conversation about "shonen better than Naruto" that isn't entirely about One Punch Man, the shonen so good that it makes no one give a single shit that Dragonball Z is back?

No one cared that DBZ was back when everyone realized Toriyama was a hack years ago.

Skrams

And then Pat says Woolie should watch Log Horizon S2 or something? Pat, just stop.
HxH also has a "live in the MMO" story arc, He should just give that another try, once you get past the first season it's great and he powers through much worse stuff all the time.
I don't like the Greed Island arc that much since I found the villain to be pretty nothing, but yeah, they might like that. I think Liam would like it more since card elements.
Has he? Ah, well, it won't leave a big impression on everyone (assuming he has watched it).

The final OVAs don't do the story justice, a number of really cool things happen after season 2 that is just ever briefly touched on in the OVA. It does flow well, so you can kinda understand what's going on, but SR was always great at the little things within the mainly unchanging overarching story. I do think the manga is worthwhile if you care.

It was somewhat random to hear Sasha Banks say she loves School Rumble too.
Yeah, pretty sure Woolie's watched it. He's referenced it once or twice for reasons I forget. Also yeah, the OVAs were like a weird stand in for no Season 3 or something? I'd have to reread the manga if I ever care for any kind of ending. I might some day, but not any time soon probably.
You're damned right there's better shonen out there, especially Hunter x Hunter and Gintama. I somehow always click this thread whenever Gintama is mentioned.

That current manga and anime arc in Gintama. So good. SO GOOD. I can't believe Gintama and Assassination Classroom will be done this year
I've been catching up slowly to Gintama with the anime, but the manga is ending this year? Bummer. Assassination Classroom, I'm caught up on at least. That's been feeling like it's near the end for months now. Excited for more anime happening soonish.
So how many of their scrublords/FNFs turn into Third Strike?
Just the Wutangs.
I cant access the latest podcast episode on there website 126
can I download it somewhere else besides Itunes?

traffic.libsyn.com/superbestfriendcast/SBFC126.mp3

Woof the audio balance here. Still working out the kinks with this new audio system. Matt sounds like he's got a muzzle on.

Still, they're so much clearer than before. I'm so glad they're not in an echo chamber.
Matt's voice is muffled in the latest video again, I'm not sure what the problem is but I hope they've fixed it by now.
Audio was bad because apparently the mic was turned around. Stacked recording sessions are why it's like this. Hopefully no one spins their mic around like a doof next time.

It's 12 episodes and isn't a typical shonen. A lot of people would say it's seinen too, but you know, words.

Also all those DBZ art fuck ups dawg.

The DBZ animation fuck-ups where the Korean sweatshop worker who did them was obviously trying to sneak in a coded message begging for someone to save him from captivity were still somewhat better than the art HxH is based on.

Moonlight

Banned

Because what we should really be talking about is My Hero Academia, which owns.

Skrams

The DBZ animation fuck-ups where the Korean sweatshop worker who did them was obviously trying to sneak in a coded message begging for someone to save him from captivity were still somewhat better than the art HxH is based on.
The regular art? Not really? The weird Greed Island stuff and all that where it's all scribbles? Yeah, sure.
Because what we should really be talking about is My Hero Academia, which owns.

MY MAN

DAT ANIME RIGHT ROUND THE BEND, WE IN THERE

Zomba13

I really hate the audio in the more recent things. I read they got new, high end, expensive mics or something but it just sounds worse than before. Like, they sound more bassy and super muffled and quiet.

I really hate the audio in the more recent things. I read they got new, high end, expensive mics or something but it just sounds worse than before. Like, they sound more bassy and super muffled and quiet.

Pat on reddit said:
This was recorded right after Blazblue. The reason why Matts audio was busted in this and that is because his mic was facing backwards.

Otherwise it's vastly better.

kewlmyc

Well, One Punch Man isn't shounen . It's seinen.

*adjusts glasses*

It sounds fine to me during podcasts, it's just the mixing sounds off in videos. Like I think it was the Blazblue vid where I could barely hear them because the game and their audio sounded about the same level

Skrams

Looks like its going to be Pat, Matt and Liam based on the shadows

I don't know how those look like Pat and Matt, but I can tell the far left is Liam easily. I hope he's playing as I'm always extremely happy to see Liam on controls for a 3+ person LP.

Oh, I guess you could also just deduce that neither of them are Woolie so it's probably Matt and Pat.

Top Bottom