• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

That's why most of us aren't feeling it. The commentary to most of us is, in fact, quite bad most of the time.

Eh, it's weak, but doing a turn-based JRPG will do that to you. They don't care to talk much about the story or stuff they come across much, so that doesn't help. If anything, I'm okay so far since it's a nice reminder of how weak the hate arguments against FFX are. Similar to Spoony's review. Hell, a lot was recycled from Spoony anyway.

I do think these guys can never bitch about DSP anymore though. It's been building up, and they've been told off plenty of times before, but they keep mishandling gameplay and story and revert to cheesy BS for jokes.

Matsukaze

Yeah, the Final Fantasy LP could be beteer, but I straight adore the Naruto LP right now. I played Broken Bond some odd years ago and loved it. As a Naruto fan, I'm pretty excited to see them go through some of my favorite arcs in the series.
I'm not even a Naruto fan and I think it's the best LP on the channel now that the Old Hunters has wrapped up. Matt's belly laugh every time Jiraiya does that pervy scuttle-walk is great.

Also, I'm sure that if Woolie is the one editing this LP, he's probably slipped subliminal messages into the episodes to make sure everyone who views it begins reading and/or watching Naruto.

convo

I'm not even a Naruto fan and I think it's the best LP on the channel now that the Old Hunters has wrapped up.

Today's episode was a legit cliffhanger , i was surprised. This game seems goofy and fun for what it is i am actually not disappointed that Metal Wolf isn't here yet.

Okingjrr

I don't know why, but this grin slayed me.
8Ch1USi.png

oh my god pat completely refusing to recognise liam and wooly's explanation of relative quality outside of the simple metric of 'good' or 'delicious' or whatever was amazing and infuriating and amazing. i genuinely couldn't tell if he was trolling, or being pat, or really didn't get it or anything

Pat was such an ass...or just being Pat. They should have said it was like people scoffing at the chef for making hot dogs and hamburgers instead of pretentious food even though the hamburgers and hot dogs were amazing.

I might be the only one, but the guys just chatting about whatever (Especially the Spiderman 3 chat) is my favorite thing of the podcast. It's half of the content and I couldn't be happier.

pbayne

Can we get some ground swell around the Best Friends getting Jay Hunter on the podcast post-Wrestlemania this year?

Id enjoy that but it would just be Matt marking out over him for 2 hours? Like Matt unashamedly steals most of OSW's jokes.

Jintor

best friends is 100% the best podcast game podast because I don't have to listen but I know if I do listen I will be entertained

like for idle thumbs or even the beastcast if I zone out for a half second I'll lose track of the conversation but the best friends are so... freewheeling it doesn't even matter

Matsukaze

I think I'd be okay with this. Isn't most of OSW's humour unashamedly Simpson's Jokes?
Not really. None of them use Simpsons material to anywhere near the same extent Matt does.

That being said, a conversation between Jay and Matt will most definitely have a plethora of Simpsons references.

sjay1994

I guess most of you disagree, but I enjoy them spinning Wakka as "new Kenny".

Grand Wizard Wakka and Mien Blitz are actively slaughtering my gut.

sjay1994

I've just packed and ready to go to bed, I've got to be up in 6 hours. Damn podcast.

Also the only Zaibatsu member I want a solo LP off is Pat, but I don't think he seems up for doing it. He cares too much about the quality of stuff he puts out (I think), plus the LP will probably just be more of a descent into madness i.e Mercenary Kings.

I know mercenary kings is kinda the joke video, but Pat's solo vids for Old Hunters and Evil Within are pretty solidly done.

I wouldn't mind watching him do more solo stuff.

Matsukaze

A triple post? Someone's in a conversing mood. :p

I guess most of you disagree, but I enjoy them spinning Wakka as "new Kenny".

Grand Wizard Wakka and Mien Blitz are actively slaughtering my gut.
Spinning Wakka as New Kenny is a hard sell for me because a) they pushed the joke super hard, super early, instead of letting things run their course like in The Walking Dead, b) they don't actually have a lot to say most of the time, so they've overused the same jokes and it feels like it's become a crutch (IMO, obviously) and c) it's hard to imagine Wakka in that light knowing he later
becomes friends with Rikku and the other Al Bhed

Also, I agree that Pat should try his hand at a solo LP. Chill, focused Pat is always welcome, and he did a great job with the videos you mentioned.

sjay1994

A triple post? Someone's in a conversing mood. :p

Spinning Wakka as New Kenny is a hard sell for me because a) they pushed the joke super hard, super early, instead of letting things run their course like in The Walking Dead, b) they don't actually have a lot to say most of the time, so they've overused the same jokes and it feels like it's become a crutch (IMO, obviously) and c) it's hard to imagine Wakka in that light knowing he later
becomes friends with Rikku and the other Al Bhed

Also, I agree that Pat should try his hand at a solo LP. Chill, focused Pat is always welcome, and he did a great job with the videos you mentioned.

I'm just too lazy to edit old posts with new information.

I think its the nature of the beast. FFX is a long game and there are turn based battles, the down time between pivotal moments is really high, so they need to find something to talk about. These sessions are usually 3-4 hours of recording, so they can't really see feed back to whats going on in an lp in certain episodes, and they usually figure things out and have new points of conversation upon recording refreshes.

But I still really enjoy the racist wakka jokes.

I feel like most of the solo efforts are strong (with the exception of reboot
mikes coup de tat has failed.
) Even Matts stuff is pretty insightful since its been a game he's worked on, and a game he really enjoys.

U8Y46NH.png

Link
I know Metal Wolf Chaos is cool and all, but pushing it to get localized and ported on next gen consoles? We've gotten past the point of bringing it back imo. I do hope we get a new Armored Core game with those mechanics back tho.

U8Y46NH.png

Link
I know Metal Wolf Chaos is cool and all, but pushing it to get localized and ported on next gen consoles? We've gotten past the point of bringing it back imo. I do hope we get a new Armored Core game with those mechanics back tho.
Considering that old games getting ported to new platforms can do well in the age of digital distribution, I don't think a Metal Wolf port is too absurd a request.

Also, IIRC, the game was going to come out in America and they had localized text for that, but even if they lost that, all they have to pay for is menu translations and transcribing the dialogue that is already in English.

ArjanN

U8Y46NH.png

Link

I disagree, I think this is something they could put out on Steam (and/or next-gen consoles) relatively easily since the game is already mostly localized.and would both save the game from obscurity and would make some easy money for them.

Anung

Un Rama
U8Y46NH.png

Link

Just stick it in the PS2 section of the PS4 with some trophies added. Simple.

Skrams

U8Y46NH.png

Link
I'm surprised enough people badgered them on twitter to get them to even tweet this.
Just stick it in the PS2 section of the PS4 with some trophies added. Simple.

It was Xbox only.

Honestly, I would like it if there were easier ways to play the From Soft classics for people who don't have the consoles or money to afford it, but just clamoring for that game while none of their old titles past the PS1 have been digitally rereleased yet is something I can't imagine them going for immediately despite people shouting at them on Twitter. And even then, I still don't know if that avenue would be something they do considering every game they've developed has been attached to a publisher outside of Japan, because they only have the capacity to self publish their games over there.

Like, that's the whole reason MWC never even made it here in the first place, 'cause Microsoft, Sega, whoever back then that was potentially willing to publisher their Xbox titles were like "Naw, man" (and considering how poorly Otogi sold, could you blame them?). Hell, even Agetec who was their most reliable publisher and only one on PS2 dropped the localization for Shadow Tower Abyss due to last minute sales projections and going "this won't sell, even by this developer's standards." From doesn't release all their games worldwide because they don't want to, it's because they physically can't.

Still, even if people don't have the 100-200 bucks to pay for the game, they can still get a taste of what it's like already: it's called Armored Core Verdict Day. You think I'm fucking joking, but there's more in common between those two than you would think.

So I watched that weird Sonic Mugen fighting game the Zaibatsu played last Friday and I'm having a hard time figuring out what game this song at this part is ripped out from. I'm pretty sure it's from a SNES Mega Man game but I'm not sure which one.

Anyone have any idea where it's from?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's from Mega Man X2.

oh my god pat completely refusing to recognise liam and wooly's explanation of relative quality outside of the simple metric of 'good' or 'delicious' or whatever was amazing and infuriating and amazing. i genuinely couldn't tell if he was trolling, or being pat, or really didn't get it or anything
Man that was rough to listen to because you know Pat is fully capable of understanding what was being said, he was just refusing.

joe2187

Banned
There's a really hilarious fuck-up in the upcoming fisticuffs video. I don't know if it was done on purpose but it's jarring to say the least.

Woolie explains it during the video.

They sandbagged it, because honestly by looking at from the start, you would automatically think it was a scrublords episode.

ksdixon

might as well try again, this is driving me absolutely nuts.

a while ago now, one of the best friends - I believe Liam - was talking, and pat replies, staring with 'what happened was...' and proceeds to talk about how skill trees and grinding stats, these old school RPG elements, expanded beyond RPGs and are taking-over most modern AAA games, even if they don't neccessarilly belong. I'm almost certain that is how the conversation flowed.

I've back-checked every Friendcast episode, thinking it had come-up in conversation when WatchDogs or FarCry 4 had released; or when Pat had gone back to play Baulder's Gate 1 & 2. Unless I just zoned-out or something and missed it, I don't think it was a FriendCast episode like I previously thought.

Re-watching Lets Plays, it's not The Evil Within. I thought it might have been that due to it's upgrade system in the electric chair. Currently re-watching RE Revelations 2, as it has an upgrade system where you can add abilities like damage level onto different guns. So far I'm up-to part 15 of 23, but I'm not sure it's going to be this game either.

Next-up on the Lets Play re-watch list are:

Escape From Bug Island
Rule Of Rose
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Until Dawn

... and if it's not in any of those then I really don't know where to look next.

Can anyone end my suffering and tell me where this piece of conversation comes from?

Rockk

might as well try again, this is driving me absolutely nuts.

a while ago now, one of the best friends - I believe Liam - was talking, and pat replies, staring with 'what happened was...' and proceeds to talk about how skill trees and grinding stats, these old school RPG elements, expanded beyond RPGs and are taking-over most modern AAA games, even if they don't neccessarilly belong. I'm almost certain that is how the conversation flowed.

I've back-checked every Friendcast episode, thinking it had come-up in conversation when WatchDogs or FarCry 4 had released; or when Pat had gone back to play Baulder's Gate 1 & 2. Unless I just zoned-out or something and missed it, I don't think it was a FriendCast episode like I previously thought.

Re-watching Lets Plays, it's not The Evil Within. I thought it might have been that due to it's upgrade system in the electric chair. Currently re-watching RE Revelations 2, as it has an upgrade system where you can add abilities like damage level onto different guns. So far I'm up-to part 15 of 23, but I'm not sure it's going to be this game either.

Next-up on the Lets Play re-watch list are:

Escape From Bug Island
Rule Of Rose
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Until Dawn

... and if it's not in any of those then I really don't know where to look next.

Can anyone end my suffering and tell me where this piece of conversation comes from?

Super Bunny Hop has a video about this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-EuyU2hb8

Jul 17, 2014 - lines up with Barkley maybe.

ksdixon

Super Bunny Hop has a video about this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-EuyU2hb8

Jul 17, 2014 - lines up with Barkley maybe.

Yeah I know about SBH's video, thanks. Maybe SBFP were discussing SBH's video?

I never watched the Barkley lets play, but I'm almost certain I remember Pat talking about it, I just can't find it again.

Another example of when I thought it could be was around the time Dying Light came out. I'll cross reference that date for SBH's video with surrounding SBFriendcast episodes, and re-re-check. Hoping someone is able to give me the exact location though.

Syder

Not really. None of them use Simpsons material to anywhere near the same extent Matt does.

That being said, a conversation between Jay and Matt will most definitely have a plethora of Simpsons references.
I was being semi-sarcastic, I know OSW is a lot more restrained than SBFP in that sense but regardless I'd still like to see the Best Friends chatting with Jay Hunter, especially as things stand with the injury-hit WWE roster we might be heading towards an especially bad Wrestlemania.

Skrams

Pat complaining that he's unlucky after tuning in twice during AGDQ. Pat, please. There's a schedule and everything to look at. I heard Battleblock Theater was a really fun run even. MechaRichter and PJ are really funny runners too. 90 minutes of setup and 10 minutes of Battleblock is also complete exaggerated bullshit. There was maybe 10-15 minutes of downtime at the very most between runs. Usually that shit is quick as fuck though. Battleblock wasn't even scheduled near a SETUP block. Also like Woolie said last week, watching runs for games you don't know is more interesting than for the games you do know. You come in fresh with nothing and leave with liking this game that you knew nothing about beforehand. Battle Kid 2 like Liam mentioned was put completely on my radar from now on after tuning in during that speedrun. That shit looked a bit nuts for being able to work on a NES even if it was made way after the fact. The Bloodborne run also sounds like it was boring considering it was antiquated garbage run on 1.00 before they fixed the duping bug. The guy duped some shit and overleveled. I've seen the skips he used back when the game was relatively new even.

Also any attack on titan fan game is going to probably have the controls you want more than the actual licensed game. That shit looks automatic as fuck from the gameplay footage we've gotten.

Naruto Part 4- That is clearly Yuri Lowenthal's voice during the Sasuke grunting moments. That's really weird.
Also that fucking Raging Demon.
God, I'm getting a little too hype at some of the shit in this. I hate this. I don't want these feelings.

Pat is a worthless piece of shit with little experience in good human nature and he would agree with that statement. I would have given him the example of Sanji from One Piece who hates wasting food because he had a traumatic experience.The Ideology of not wasting food is an Ideology Pat, you punk.
edit:: But it is understandable he does not understand what an Ideology is since he doesn't have one except not wanting to die because that is a bummer.
Man that was rough to listen to because you know Pat is fully capable of understanding what was being said, he was just refusing.

Yeah, this really seemed like an instance of Pat knowing what the "human" answer is, but just refusing to understand it as if trying to divide himself from rational thinking. The Sanji thing probably would of easily gotten it across to him. Woolie was right to kill that conversation pretty early considering I would of loved to hear 45 minutes of Pat trying to explain his dumb idiosyncrasies so the world could make fun of him more, but a lot of people probably would of been fed up with it. Come on, Pat. You fucking know that a lot of places go bigger food over good food. The ideology of wanting good food over big is not a foreign thing.
Is Recursive still around? That first post needs some serious updating.

Yeah, he's just incredibly lazy.

You know it's true, Recursive.

Top Bottom