• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Moonlight

Banned
The stream going live right now

I personally like smaller ones, so I think I prefer more user interaction with the streamer like PepsimanGB's. It seems almost impossible for them however imo.

edit: Oh man they have Stream notifications on...
On the plus side, there is a dedicated spot on the couch for Zach to hang out and be, on the ot--

CHEWIE HAS THROWN AN AXE

FUCKFACE HAS THROWN AN AXE

It could be worse, but it's a little irritating to have a dumb sound effect every like... thirty seconds.

Skrams

All Matt needs to do is remove the sound, that's just the worst.

Maybe it's because I'm blasting this through speakers, but at least the sound is pretty quiet. He's also barely acknowledging, so that's cool too.

I wonder if chat is going to make him pay even less attention to games though. I feel like Matt streaming so quick like this means we're going to be seeing a lot of Matt streams. It totally seems like a thing he could get hooked on.

On the plus side, there is a dedicated spot on the couch for Zach to hang out and be, on the ot--

CHEWIE HAS THROWN AN AXE

FUCKFACE HAS THROWN AN AXE

It could be worse, but it's a little irritating to have a dumb sound effect every like... thirty seconds.

At the least, the notification isn't going over the game or cam. It's just...there

MolochSigma

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying the FFX LP, I just hope they drop the racist Wakka and hungry/whiny Tidus jokes as the characters develop past them in the story.

Speaking of which, I don't recall Tidus ever mentioning food since what... part 2?

Matsukaze

I'm really enjoying the FFX LP, I just hope they drop the racist Wakka and hungry/whiny jokes as the characters develop past them in the story.

Speaking of which, I don't recall Tidus ever mentioned food since what... part 2?
Welcome to my issues with the commentary lol.

This is a little pre-emptive but it'd be cool if they got someone to take their Twitch highlights and upload them as a Youtube video for them, it'd be great for if you want to relive those moments or couldn't watch the stream.

Edzi

This is a little pre-emptive but it'd be cool if they got someone to take their Twitch highlights and upload them as a Youtube video for them, it'd be great for if you want to relive those moments or couldn't watch the stream.

They already said they'd be putting the archived footage on YouTube.

Skrams

I get it's the point to interact with chat because streams, but all of Matt's yo, hey fuckfacefan420, is a little ehhhhhhh. It'll take a while for me to ever get use to it.

They already said they'd be putting the archived footage on YouTube.

They said it for the bigger streams, but I'm not sure if that applied to stuff like small Matt streams.

Ugh, I need to rant about this. I'm not watching the LP because it sounds like Matt and Woolie aren't really taking it seriously and are just making fun of the story and characters, but every time I go to the subreddit it's just a million posts about racist Wakka or some other joke that sounds forced to make fun of the game for no reason. I knew the fanbase ran their jokes to the ground, but it didn't really bother me too much until FFX since it seems like people are going out of their way to reuse jokes or shit on the game just because Matt is doing it.

LPs aren't just an excuse to take dumps on a game or force jokes, right? FFX isn't considered a bad game, and I think I heard somewhere that Matt claims to kind of like it, so why not just do a playthrough where you actually talk about the characters/story instead of trying to tear the game down with bad jokes?

/rant
There is such a thing as still enjoying a game while acknowledging the fact that is also fucking stupid and flawed in a lot of areas.

I think the reason I'm enjoying it as it goes on is that it reminds me more of stuff like The Dark Id's LP of Xenogears, which is a game he said he enjoys but riffs on it pretty hard when it gets to any part that is dumb as hell. Also lots of alternate character interpretations, though I'll admit he puts more effort into those compared to Matt & Woolie with Grand Wizard Wakka and "I'm Hungry" Titus. Ever since Drakengard he's pretty much owned that shit pretty hard.

Hell, he's been resuming his FFX recently on SomethingAwful, and different format aside, I'd say that and the Best Friend's playthrough on the channel are giving the game as much recognition as it deserves. It's a dumb game. Not a terrible one, it has some good moments, but on the whole it is dumb as fuck.

Also probably no surprise why the Best Friends thread on SomethingAwful has been on board with it as a whole.

Matsukaze

There is such a thing as still enjoying a game while acknowledging the fact that is also fucking stupid and flawed in a lot of areas.

I think the reason I'm enjoying it as it goes on is that it reminds me more of stuff like The Dark Id's LP of Xenogears, which is a game he said he enjoys but riffs on it pretty hard when it gets to any part that is dumb as hell. Also lots of alternate character interpretations, though I'll admit he puts more effort into those compared to Matt & Woolie with Grand Wizard Wakka and "I'm Hungry" Titus. Ever since Drakengard he's pretty much owned that shit pretty hard.

Hell, he's been resuming his FFX recently on SomethingAwful, and different format aside, I'd say that and the Best Friend's playthrough on the channel are giving the game as much recognition as it deserves. It's a dumb game. Not a terrible one, it has some good moments, but on the whole it is dumb as fuck.

Also probably no surprise why the Best Friends thread on SomethingAwful has been on board with it as a whole.
So, it's a JRPG, then?

j/k

Edzi

Oh please, acknowledging flaws and shitting on a game for being stupid are totally different things, and the latter can really rub people who like the game the wrong way (especially when it seems forced, as some of the jokes I'm hearing seem to be).

It sucks that you thought it was dumb I guess? I didn't think it was dumb or stupid, and I get the feeling that a lot of fans don't feel that way either. Sorry, I just don't think I can get behind this mentality Matt or people like you seem to have regarding the game where you treat it like some dumb joke.

Matt is answering questions on stream. Salty bet is going to be a monthly thing("don't quote me on that"), Sonic Adventure 2 probably happening soon, he wants to do Silent Hill 3 soon.

Matsukaze

Matt is answering questions on stream. Salty bet is going to be a monthly thing("don't quote me on that"), Sonic Adventure 2 probably happening soon, he wants to do Silent Hill 3 soon.
Fuck yes. Resident Evil 0 is just beginning and he already wants to give me another present? Thank you, Matt.

:/ Saltybet can be a dumb hype thing, but doing it that often would kinda burn me out of the legit FNF series. There's still so many legit good fighters they haven't played yet.

I was really hoping for a Silent Hill 1 one first, but I guess 3 is fine.

They want to do MGS3 but they don't know who to put on it yet.

Don't take these quotes too seriously, just because he says he wants to do these things doesn't mean they're going to happen.

Matsukaze

Don't take these quotes too seriously, just because he says he wants to do these things doesn't mean they're going to happen.
Oh I know, but just the admission that he is seriously interested in doing a Silent Hill 3 LP is music to my ears.

Edzi

:/ Saltybet can be a dumb hype thing, but doing it that often would kinda burn me out of the legit FNF series. There's still so many legit good fighters they haven't played yet.

I was really hoping for a Silent Hill 1 one first, but I guess 3 is fine.

Honestly, I think I'd prefer Saltybet over regular FNF. FNF lack the competition that made Brawls great and most of the video is just them struggling to learn the controls. At least with Saltybet they can have interesting conversations on top of getting hype for the matches.

Eeehhhh, I don't know if I'd want them to go through MGS3 after MGSV since I don't think I could handle it if they started to try and mix in story tidbits from V into the perfection that is MGS3.

oh man im so glad Salty Bet is every month
Woolie gets so salt during them and i hope this Friday we get an equally salty moment as the Naruto getting blown up on stream from the last one

Eeehhhh, I don't know if I'd want them to go through MGS3 after MGSV since I don't think I could handle it if they started to try and mix in story tidbits from V into the perfection that is MGS3.

Nah, it'd be fine. The most you'd get would be a bunch of "I bet SkullFace is hiding behind that tree" or "I bet that gavial is actually Skullface" or something to that effect...

All you babies whining about stream notifications are adorable.

As for the FFX LP commentary, it's been beaten to death at this point. We hate the constant recycled jokes, they know it. It's not gonna change.

I'm really enjoying the FFX LP, I just hope they drop the racist Wakka and hungry/whiny Tidus jokes as the characters develop past them in the story.

Speaking of which, I don't recall Tidus ever mentioning food since what... part 2?
I feel I'm in the minority here, but I don't really mind the hungry Tibbus/ racist Wakka jokes since the voices they do with them gets me every time

Never knew so many people hate how the twitch community works this much. Notifications have never bothered me.

One time I specifically tried to time a notification to fuck with a streamer mid game. It was good times. I wouldn't say they bother me a lot, most of the time, but I think getting rid of them(or minimizing their effect I guess) could only improve the streams. For the most part the ones i saw during matt's stream did seem that big a deal since it was not covering up the game and I'm not even sure there was a sound effect(except the part about it saying people prefering reverse mermaid. that's just wrong).

Never knew so many people hate how the twitch community works this much. Notifications have never bothered me.

I really dislike it. All I want to do is watch some cool guy play a game. That's why I like watching these guys LPs. I'm just worried about the stream community and stuff because I don't like how it works at all.

Though they've got me because Demon's Souls playthrough. Speaking of which will the archives be uploaded to Youtube/Website/Something else?

NeonBlack

Honestly I'm more worried about the amount of backseating they are going to get because they don't have the "perfect" build more them anything.

Sylas

It's the equivalent of a live studio audience, except the studio audience expects to throw money at the actors and get acknowledged immediately instead of staying behind after the show and trying to creep on your favorite actor.

Plus, most of the time twitch chat is basically screaming into the void. It's obnoxious and turns what could be a comedy show into a dance, monkey, dance scenario.

Notifications don't bother me if they're set up to be just small icons and a sound effect. When the streamer acknowledges every single one of them as it happens, that's when it starts to piss me off.

Also I can't get into streams because of shitty internet, so I really hope they upload this elsewhere.

Edzi

I really dislike it. All I want to do is watch some cool guy play a game. That's why I like watching these guys LPs. I'm just worried about the stream community and stuff because I don't like how it works at all.

Though they've got me because Demon's Souls playthrough. Speaking of which will the archives be uploaded to Youtube/Website/Something else?

Woolie already confirmed that they'd be putting the archives up on youtube. It's the main reason he wanted to display the chat in the video, so youtube viewers could get context when something chat related happened.

I just wanna say conglats to Matt for getting his 100k subscriber Silver YouTube Play button! Maybe some day we'll hit 200k, or maybe even 500! Who knows?

Skrams

It's some of the little things that bother me about streams. You have instances like Matt trying to find an optional tomb and at some point he was listening to chat's advice which was mostly just them reposting the same thing some guy probably stole from a walkthrough. At least Matt is a happy guy and didn't really care all that much about the optional tomb since he knew he probably just needed a later item. I've been privy to some streamers getting mad at the viewers because of shit like that. Matt also would only passingly acknowledge a few people at the beginning, but it increased a lot more by the end. A lot of constant callouts. I like his little 20 minute Q&A stuff at the end of the stream though. That's nice of him to do that.

If Pat pushes for the Dragon Bone Smasher build I'll fist fight any stream monster that complains.

I need this.

I just wanna say conglats to Matt for getting his 100k subscriber Silver YouTube Play button! Maybe some day we'll hit 200k, or maybe even 500! Who knows?

CZQuY3TWYAA-eY6.jpg
CZQuZYbWwAAgCYJ.jpg

"So this came in the mail today...
Three years late...but appreciated nonetheless! "
Only took them 3 years. Do they give something out at 500k? Maybe he'll get that plaque in 2 years if someone at the youtube offices is fast enough.

It's some of the little things that bother me about streams. You have instances like Matt trying to find an optional tomb and at some point he was listening to chat's advice which was mostly just them reposting the same thing some guy probably stole from a walkthrough. At least Matt is a happy guy and didn't really care all that much about the optional tomb since he knew he probably just needed a later item. I've been privy to some streamers getting mad at the viewers because of shit like that. Matt also would only passingly acknowledge a few people at the beginning, but it increased a lot more by the end. A lot of constant callouts. I like his little 20 minute Q&A stuff at the end of the stream though. That's nice of him to do that.

There's nothing wrong the the stream backseat gaming as long as the streamer themselves don't mind, but if they ask you not to do it and you keep doing it then yeah, you're an asshole.

Top Bottom