• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Seeing as XCOM is the topic. I'm currently playing through EU, should I invest in Enemy Within while it is on steam sale? My laptop only has the min specs for XCOM 2 so I don't really fancy trying it out.

Also yay more Demon's Souls archive. I'm playing XCOM while having this on in the background.

The canon ending of 1 is you lose, so just start on legendary and run XCOM into the ground asap so you can start 2.

Oh wow lol.

Seeing as XCOM is the topic. I'm currently playing through EU, should I invest in Enemy Within while it is on steam sale? My laptop only has the min specs for XCOM 2 so I don't really fancy trying it out.

Also yay more Demon's Souls archive. I'm playing XCOM while having this on in the background.

Less than a $5 for both. I'd say go for it.

Okingjrr

7I3ST9A.png

Wow, Pat's a fucking asshole.
That's the best!

EW is a great dlc that adds a lot of squad options and running around with mech troopers, so that's pretty fucking rad.

Should I beat XCOM 1 before I jump into 2? Or is it like Witcher 3 in that the story is stand alone?

I say yes. XCOM 1 will give you a primer on how the game is played, even if the story doesn't follow with 2. There are some big twists on the combat for 2, but understanding cover and how to manipulate the battlefield is still basically the same.

On the topic of XCOM 2, I finally got the entire Zaibatsu recruited and plan to start fielding them together whenever I can. Pat, Woolie and Liam are new recruits, but I've had Matt(a cowardly sniper who is also trained as a leader) and Billy for a while and they've been, especially Billy(he soloed the objective in a base defense mission using his sick ranger stealth skills... making him more a ninja/rogue then the lancer he is nicknamed after), kicking ass. Pat and Woolie got fielded during a defense mission and while Pat got a few good hits in, but Woolie mostly just panicked so I made him carry around the guy who nearly died that cause him to freakout.

Good game. Too bad I'm playing on 'normal' difficulty without ironman mode(which you can't turn on if you have the tutorial on for w/e reason) because I'm being a huge baby about reloading to save people(i get way to impatient and move across the map faster then I need to).

Oh, one more thing... Pat mentioned in the podcast he left some guys out one turn to long and they died. From what I've heard/seen from some LPs, apparently on missions like that(or at least some of them, idk if its different for the mission he was speaking of), the characters don't die, they instead get captured and can be rescued in a later mission.

Xux

Watching the part two of the archive, the fact that Pat still loses it at Snailborne referencing is amazing.

For the people not watching, Woolie just confirmed that they're not gonna read donation messages on stream anymore and they're gonna read them off screen. Said he doesn't want people to only donate just to get them to read messages on stream and they don't wanna take long breaks to read messages.

For the people not watching, Woolie just confirmed that they're not gonna read donation messages on stream anymore and they're gonna read them off screen. Said he doesn't want people to only donate just to get them to read messages on stream and they don't wanna take long breaks to read messages.

Wow, that's great news. Good job, Zaibatsu.

Edzi

This is great news, and it shows how serious they are about not turning into your typical streamer channel.

Ey, cool

Oh man they forgot to turn the gameplay video back on so they're streaming nothing but themselves pressing buttons and the chat is blowing up. This is perfect.

joe2187

Banned

And all is right with the world

Skrams

This secret stream has been hella dumbbb. So much dick tripping with frozen streams or audio desync or playing full matches with no camera or having to hard power off EVERYTHING.

It's the best.

Also Bloodborne as a thing to watch in the background on a second monitor is probably the best way to handle the souls LPs.

And also Joe can finally not be so tsundere anymore over the streams.

Streaming is the future skrams.

Wait, what did I say. I forget.

Hackworth

I got Wonderful 101 on the recommendation of the Best Friends and the game makes no fucking sense to me.

Can someone give me a rundown of the systems?

For reference, I just spent three minutes trying to build a wonderchain to cross the gap on the bus and only getting swords. I might have brain problems.

TheChits

I got Wonderful 101 on the recommendation of the Best Friends and the game makes no fucking sense to me.

For reference, I just spent three minutes trying to build a wonderchain to cross the gap on the bus and only getting swords. I might have brain problems.

This dude made some excellent tutorials for Platinum titles including Wonderful 101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE

You could watch the tutorial linked above but what I did was just keep playing, it'll start feeling more natural at some point. Use the first couple levels to get used to everything.

Hackworth

This dude made some excellent tutorials for Platinum titles including Wonderful 101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE
This is the hypest

You could watch the tutorial linked above but what I did was just keep playing, it'll start feeling more natural at some point. Use the first couple levels to get used to everything.
mate, I was getting so irritated I wasn't learning anything. I'll drop the difficulty and practice for a bit, but I needed that foundation to be sure it was me screwing up the entry rather than completely not comprehending the controls

Squishy3

This is the hypest

mate, I was getting so irritated I wasn't learning anything. I'll drop the difficulty and practice for a bit, but I needed that foundation to be sure it was me screwing up the entry rather than completely not comprehending the controls
Remember to not give a shit about your ranking, you'll naturally improve throughout the course of the game.

Skrams

Pat and Liam reminded me I have a sealed copy of Lost Song I bought for $50 because I'm insane and hate myself and SAO. I also blood brothered it with a friend and we both got our own copies to hate each other more too. I promised myself I'd platinum it eventually. Maybe I should start that because fuck it.

The Saur tutorials linked by TheChits are wonderful.

Also use the right stick. It's really good to think of putting in the weapons as fighting game moves. Hadoukens, 360s, and all that.

For your wonder liner case where you need to build a bridge? Just stand on one side, push the stick until your team reaches the other side, and they should turn into a rainbow at some point to indicate you will make a bridge. As far as I remember rainbows for your line indicate that you can make a bridge or whatever other context sensitive thing.

And remember that W101 is character action. If you feel like combat is slow or not feeling like a character action thing then something is up.

God, Wonderful 101 is so fun when you get how it works. It clicked for me instantly since I watched the Saur tutorials first, and when you can just pull out all different kinds of shenanigans later it becomes even better. Rising into Sword Combo into Stinger into Cancel Cyclone into Fist assist into Cyclone into Rising into Time Bomb into Tombstone into Rocket. It's a really simple combo when you know what's up too.

Not exactly the same, but it gets the point across I think.

MrHoot

I wanna give a shoutout to the odallus playthrough. I see it barely discussed but both the commentary and the game is super entertaining, i'm really liking it.

Anung

Un Rama

Excellent news! I was initially worried about the streams but they're saying all the right things. I just hope they don't over-rely on guests this soon as they need to find their own stream groove first.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Watching Pat & Liam's video on Sword Art Online, and they mention Digimon in it.
When Cyber Sleuth?!

Anung

Un Rama
I'm seeing some ground swell with the FFX LP. Has it stopped being terrible since episode 7?

I opened a tab for episode 28 and seen the word 'Titus' and closed it immediately.

Truth be told I've not watched a channel video since Metal Wolf started. Been taking a break and mainly listening to the podcast and streams (and some older LPs).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That video any good? I kinda wanna watch it, but I really don't want to absorb more SAO than I have to.

It's more a "listening" video as the game itself is boring as fuck, and apparently doesn't control well.
Most of it is Pat and Liam shitting on SAO, which I'm all for as SAO is gaaarbaaage.

Top Bottom