• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Neol

Man... the promos were so good too ;-;

Feel like theme months are too tiresome. Need to keep it down to two weeks at most imo.

What are SA opinions on the vid so far Arc?
Only three comments I've seen thus far, but they pretty much go to the effect of "this is what I wanted" or "best new video on the channel". Though given how brief they are it could just be getting in on it ironically. No real clue, but it's only us here that I've seen any strong negative reactions.

Again, I'm still not sure what to think, especially because the concept is something I kinda wanted to happen, and there was at least a good amount of thought put behind this from Matt...but that sort of thing doesn't always result in a hit.

Let's just hope tomorrow night they at least send off Rustlemania II on a positive note. That's all I need at this point. Just one last big highlight.

Man, all of us here complaining about how bad this video is. I feel like I've gained a social link with you guys.
GOD DAMN IT ALF noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,
Only three comments I've seen thus far, but they pretty much go to the effect of "this is what I wanted" or "best new video on the channel". Though given how brief they are it could just be getting in on it ironically. No real clue, but it's only us here that I've seen any strong negative reactions.

Again, I'm still not sure what to think, especially because the concept is something I kinda wanted to happen, and there was at least a good amount of thought put behind this from Matt...but that sort of thing doesn't always result in a hit.

Let's just hope tomorrow night they at least send off Rustlemania II on a positive note. That's all I need at this point. Just one last big highlight.
I don't know much about wrestling but the video was just fight? for some reason? It would have been much better if they had set up storylines in why they had to fight or what was on the line. If I wanted to see people fight I would just go in a shady alley or a fight club. The concept is solid, but execution was so poor they had to throw there references in there to make it better/worse?

Finally getting around to watching the video. Lots of talent and hard work being fucked up by poor scripting, bad commentary and a really long run time?

This is either a mediocre video or the most meta commentary on current wrestling that I've ever seen.

Yeah that video wasn't great. The matches in 2k are just too boring, and most of the commentary was bad. I did like when Max came out and got a beatdown by the Predator, that was pretty funny. Oh and wrestler Zach is too creepy lol

This is either a mediocre video or the most meta commentary on current wrestling that I've ever seen.
On a rewatch of this, I'm almost inclined to believe the latter.

Hell, I've started to lean towards the side of liking it just as a crazy train wreck of sorts. The commentary is cringe, yes, but some of the stuff that's actually happening on screen is kinda special in its own way.

Woolie isn't so much a founding pillar of anything but more of an eternal punching bag for jokes about pie stealing and, well, anything else Matt and Pat can come up with on the spot.

Anung

Un Rama
You dont watch fox and friends?

I dislike the game with a fiery passion and can't be bothered watching/listening to an entire LP based around it.

It's a crap game. But not good crap like Prison Break where its funny. Just a crap nothing game that was lucky enough to have a great series name stapled onto it.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah this is...not a good video.

I like what they were going for and if it was a 5 minute video with the best bits then that'd be killer but 50 minutes of forced comedy is...it just can't be done captain they dinnae have the power.

Still, wooo rustlemania's over give me new LP's \o/

I dislike the game with a fiery passion and can't be bothered watching/listening to an entire LP based around it.

It's a crap game. But not good crap like Prison Break where its funny. Just a crap nothing game that was luckily enough to have a great series name stapled onto it.

You're not missing much. It's mainly Matt and Woolie bullshitting while shitting on the game that Liam plays competently. Even hating the game as much as I do, it gets real old listening to people just shit on something for 12 parts.

I admit that even with my super biased enjoyment of Star Fox Adventures, holy fuck this game aged worse than I thought. No idea why of all the collectathon Rare games this is the one I like.

Archgan

I feel like there was a lot of stuff Matt/whoever wanted to do with the storyline, but wasn't able to for some reason. There was a lot of things introduced that never amounted to anything, like the stuff with Cranky or the tall hooded guy (I'm not sure who he was supposed to be). I feel it might have worked better as a sketch-type thing instead of a connected storyline. It already sorta felt like that with the abrupt cuts to things like the Max joke and the Gorrilla finding the briefcase.

Just started the newest RUSTLEMANIA. Oh no.

This kind of thing seems like something that could be very awesome. A lot of effort has probably gone into it too, and it just isn't good.

Perhaps this is what happens when you join gaf. You become cold and cynical. I can think of no other explanation.

His smile and optimise: gone.
xBxwNQ1.png

Anung

Un Rama
On the flip side I recently finished The Wolf Among Us (damn that was good) so I can finally watch the LP for that :D

I was okay with the video, though I'm not sure why they'd do something this extensive and not actually have Pat and Liam involved, rather than just pulling soundbytes for them. I mean, you went to the trouble of getting Taka to record a line, but not the two you have there in-house?

Skrams

In case people wanted to see Matt's comment on the video.

This was a monumental task putting this one episode together in a week. I made all the created characters, Woolie and I used the story editor together to make all the scenes, I then recorded and stitched the scenes together in big chunks, we both did commentary on the fly while watching it, then Woolie did an amazing job adding affects and hashtags and Raw logos and synching the audio, and I wrote all the text dialog for the characters.
Really hope 2K finally brings back the story editor, we'd like to do more of these in the future, but it's a massive amount of work.

This is probably why some of it feels haphazard or why Pat or Liam don't do much of anything.

My initial cringe wore off and now I'm just kind of left with it being another rustlemania video. I can't connect with it much since I don't care about wrestling, the matches don't have a lot going on, a lot of random events happening, and a story I don't really care about. I do think the commentary is actually pretty fine actually. It got some fine chuckles out of me with dumb goofs with like Titans/Eotans.

I would of preferred them all reacting to a goofy dead silent story made up by Matt in the story creator, but oh well. Also if crowd noise could of been turned down then that would of been nice.

Perhaps this is what happens when you join gaf. You become cold and cynical. I can think of no other explanation.

If you want to believe that sure. I do wonder how much is colored by the domino effect of one person saying it's bad and then that effecting other peoples initial impressions. That's not really a thing you can gauge easily since it's hard to see where the bias begins and ends, but that always seemed like it might be a thing to me.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
In case people wanted to see Matt's comment on the video.

This is probably why some of it feels haphazard or why Pat or Liam don't do much of anything.

My initial cringe wore off and now I'm just kind of left with it being another rustlemania video. I can't connect with it much since I don't care about wrestling, the matches don't have a lot going on, a lot of random events happening, and a story I don't really care about. I do think the commentary is actually pretty fine actually. It got some fine chuckles out of me with dumb goofs with like Titans/Eotans.

I would of preferred them all reacting to a goofy dead silent story made up by Matt in the story creator, but oh well. Also if crowd noise could of been turned down then that would of been nice.

If you want to believe that sure. I do wonder how much is colored by the domino effect of one person saying it's bad and then that effecting other peoples initial impressions. That's not really a thing you can gauge easily since it's hard to see where the bias begins and ends, but that always seemed like it might be a thing to me.

Seems like a ton of work, even after the work for those amv intros.

aly

lol, I was just joking. The domino effect is certainly real though and shapes our expectations of what we are about to watch. Doubt it something that most people could help although not looking at any comments can minimize it. As for me Rustlemania II has just been unhype all around. Maybe I'll like this video more coming back to it later.

I really liked that video actually. But then again I just watched Pax Rumble a couple of hours ago and found that to be amazing as well. Guess I have a thing for amateur video game wrestling leagues.

lol, I was just joking. The domino effect is certainly real though and shapes our expectations of what we are about to watch. Doubt it something that most people could help although not looking at any comments can minimize it. As for me Rustlemania II has just been unhype all around. Maybe I'll like this video more coming back to it later.

I think there's a "sweet spot" where you probably have to have enjoyed wrestling during the Attitude Era, but maybe not continued to enjoy it up to today. If you've never watched wrestling, it's probably lost on you; if you still watch wrestling, it's probably not topical enough.

Skrams

Thank you hotdogmanjojo.tumblr.com

Thank you so much

I keep accidentally doing this of reading comments via here, the reddit, youtube, or whatever. It's a pattern that's hard to stop.

I should try revisiting Rustlemania 1 to see how that goes. It's been a while so I don't even remember my impressions of it much. Overall Rustlemania 2 has just left me with the same old wrestling jokes and goofs that I've absorbed over the years without ever watching wrestling.
I really liked that video actually. But then again I just watched Pax Rumble a couple of hours ago and found that to be amazing as well. Guess I have a thing for amateur video game wrestling leagues.

It's definitely a groove that takes effort for me to settle into. It's just that wrestling hump I have to get over where 90% of it might be kind of boring/playing the video game and then 10% hype shenanigans. Bummed that I missed Paxamania live, but I'll catch the archive tomorrow.

Yeah i turned on the video too. I really enjoyed how amateur and goofy it all felt, but S/O to Woolie and Matt for putting in the extra effort. It definitely looked like an editing nightmare.

Also, that gif is amazing ^^^

meh i enjoyed the video
but then again my hypemeter is through the roof as i finished Steven Universe today
also lol that Tiger Millionaire cameo

Alfredo

I really liked the new Rustlemania video, but I've probably got a bias towards these kinds of projects, having spent months working on stuff like Danganwrestling.

It's really difficult to tell a good story using the Yuke's WWE story designer. It requires a ton of patience and creativity. There are only so many scenes you can use that may fit with whatever preconceived script you have. For instance, if you want 4 people talking to each other, there's basically only one animation that's suitable for that. It's even hard just getting two characters to encounter one another for a basic dialogue exchange.

Not to mention the interface is a freaking mess trying to figure out how many characters can be used in what scene, what happens in the scene, how much text you can fit in a text box and for how long (which I see Matt got around by putting in the text in post). And the loading times. My God, the loading times...

But despite all that, I freakin' love when people make what I can only describe as "art" with these tools. That's why I want the story designer back in WWE 2K16, and there's tons of room for improvement to make the tools more robust and user friendly.

Not the greatest thing I've ever seen and certainly some cringe moments, but I enjoyed it overall(including some of the cringe moments). I at least watched the whole thing which is more then I can say for a lot of the wrestling videos... of course I used to watch wrestling back when I was a babbie, so it had that going for it.

Top Bottom