• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

sjay1994

He's mediocre. He's playing nowhere near as good as he could be, but at what's probably a pretty decent level to clear through the game on Veteran.

The main problem is that failing the first VIP mission is basically a fail state. Not having that engineer cripples your early economy (that relies on clearing debris for extra supplies), cripples your early production (that relies on being able to get a Proving Ground and Advanced Warfare Center out ASAP), and if you somehow last long enough will continue to have vicious ripple-effects into the midgame. (You won't keep up with the Avatar ticker because you won't have enough Comms to reach Blacksite regions. You won't have enough Intel because you had to spend too much catching up on Engineers. You won't have enough levels on your troops because you didn't have an AWC up to reduce their wound recovery times to a reasonable period.)

Basically, if you're doing serious Ironman runs failing that VIP mission is grounds to restart the campaign on the spot. The fact that Pat's carrying on with it means he's probably doomed no matter what he does. The deck is stacked so high against him by this point that completely reasonable missions are going to feel borderline impossible.

That can be fun to watch, though.

So basically, I should stop thinking Pat can turn it around, because he has already lost and is just dragging out the inevitable.

I haven't seen part 5 yet but unless you are in utterly deep shit, a 45% roll is basically wasting your turn.

Also Pat wasn't using cover well, mitigating flanking positions, and taking those wasteful kinds of shots, so the game punished him for it.

That said the early game of XCOM2 is hard as fuck.

So basically, I should stop thinking Pat can turn it around, because he has already lost and is just dragging out the inevitable.

Basically. At this point, if you took his save file and gave it to one of the best players, it would still be difficult for them to salvage it. Pat's going to need a miracle.

(Though, it's worth noting that he did basically "win" that retaliation mission. Yes, it got marked as a failure, but failing one of those with your full team intact and bringing back the corpses is actually a pretty solid result. The benefits of actually winning are significantly less important.)

I haven't seen part 5 yet but unless you are in utterly deep shit, a 45% roll is basically wasting your turn.

Also Pat wasn't using cover well, mitigating flanking positions, and taking those wasteful kinds of shots, so the game punished him for it.

That said the early game of XCOM2 is hard as fuck.

The shit he has done would get your fucked on a veteran difficult. I know because I've done stuff almost as stupid and got fucked over for it. But then I started becoming lamer and lamer with the save scumming(something I suspect Pat is very familiar with if he plays like this in his own game) and things starting getting way better. To the point that I have to save scum less since my guys are much more survivable and I generally have a better idea what I'm doing now.

Watching XCOM 2 made me go and buy XCOM Enemy Within.

I'm just playing on regular and everything was going fine until on one mission my VIP got poisoned and panicked, then one of my squad panicked for seemingly no reason and shot the VIP? What the heck are the variables that would cause that?

Watching XCOM 2 made me go and buy XCOM Enemy Within.

I'm just playing on regular and everything was going fine until on one mission my VIP got poisoned and panicked, then one of my squad panicked for seemingly no reason and shot the VIP? What the heck are the variables that would cause that?

Under vanilla, it's just a random roll: your soldier will either shoot, run, or hunker down.

This can be modified; Long War makes it so soldiers exclusively hunker down when panicked, for instance, with I think a Second Wave option for panic shooting.

XCOM2 soldiers, as far as I'm aware, tend to move and shoot, and either don't shoot friendlies or at least have a huge preference for shooting enemies. It's something they've walked back from quite a bit compared to the classic (XCOM: UFO Defense) panic, when it was common for a soldier to panic-shoot a rocket launcher into his own face.

well it seems XCOM 2 is horrible unoptimized
gonna wait a bit till it doesnt run like shit
isnt my computer either cause i can run games like Witcher 3 no problem
edit:gonna do a system restore and try some settings i found them i give up

This Xcom shit is hilarious

*Gun is literally clipping into the enemy face*

45% chance

*Misses completely*

Cover trumps range for everything but shotguns. Having a flank on an enemy is much more important than being close to an enemy. It's why earlier in the LP when Liam would tell Pat to move closer he would only gain an extra 3% or so on most of the shots.

It's actually generally better to get an elevation bonus (higher ground) than to move closer, unless you can get a flanked position by moving closer.

well it seems XCOM 2 is horrible unoptimized
gonna wait a bit till it doesnt run like shit
isnt my computer either cause i can run games like Witcher 3 no problem
edit:gonna do a system restore and try some settings i found them i give up
XCOM 2 rapes unoverclocked CPUs & GPUs without lots of VRAM because of the procedural generation and tons of particle effects. It also doesn't help that A) they didn't enable DX11 (you can enable that in a config file) and used super shitty settings for a lot of the UE3 stuff, which can be set in BaseEngine.ini.

If you want, I can link you to my modded BaseEngine.ini (if you haven't found it already), but it's optimized for 4 core CPUs and GPUs with 3GB+ VRAM.

XCOM 2 rapes unoverclocked CPUs & GPUs without lots of VRAM because of the procedural generation and tons of particle effects. It also doesn't help that A) they didn't enable DX11 (you can enable that in a config file) and used super shitty settings for a lot of the UE3 stuff, which can be set in BaseEngine.ini.

If you want, I can link you to my modded BaseEngine.ini (if you haven't found it already), but it's optimized for 4 core CPUs and GPUs with 3GB+ VRAM.

its fine i gave up lol
ill wait till its optimized better

I know you've posted it like 3 times in the Xcom thread but I think I'd like to give that a shot. Although I have an 8 core CPU.

Woof, glorious UE3 strikes again. I'll probably pick it up once they kill the LP, game looks like fun, hopefully my 2500k and 390 handle it well enough

aw yeah stream time, and they've already fucked up the audio, love it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hey, Billy here. Tell your friend I'm sorry I couldn't convince Woolie to fight him. But you gotta understand, after seeing the massacre your friend inflicted upon me, Woolie probably got scared and "accidentally" left.

Hey Billy! I'm sad I didn't get to play you as well. I hope to get a run back some day.

Well yes, but does Twitch provide you with a tax form at the end of the year detailing the income or do you have to keep track yourself? Also does it count as income or are they gifts, how does it get divided among the four of them, etc etc?
Coincidentally I just heard a popular streamer mention that it's a PayPal tax form.

He also mentioned that he had to pay between 50k-100k US dollars.

I don't know anything else.

aw bummer no full LP of superhot, ah well at least they're doing something

weird like... upper-bounds on the campaign is like 4 hours, even for FPS-scrub Pat I'd imagine... thats basically another Odallus-length eh?

Bummer that they shot down a V:tM-B LP saying they've tried and couldn't get it running well enough. The fan patch is superb and was really easy for me to get working.

Top Bottom