• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Edzi

I'm super bummed that none of them talked about how SFV is getting blown out in sales. I wanted to hear Matt, Pat, and Woolie die when they heard a Naruto game outsold the physical PS4 release.

There's not much to say tbh. The game is great, but it's failing despite that because Capcom neglected modes that would cater to casuals/SP focused players. Pat also already said a lot regarding his position on the backlash in other SFV threads here.

I'm 100% with Woolie on spoilers. For stuff like Mutants in Manhattan the trailer spoilers aren't a huge concern because gameplay is essential. Zero Time Dilema knows that story twists are its strength so you know the promo materials won't spoil anything major.

But seeing the appearance of a character for the first time in a trailer when it could easily have been saved for the movie sucks. Plus, I'm of the mind that when I see a key scene in a movie, a lot of potential tension in the proceeding scenes is drained thus lessening my potential enjoyment. I try as hard as I can to avoid info on movies I plan to see.

I'm super bummed that none of them talked about how SFV is getting blown out in sales. I wanted to hear Matt, Pat, and Woolie die when they heard a Naruto game outsold the physical PS4 release.

Theres one reason for that:

They don't want to acknowledge Naruto UNS 4 is better than SFV

They don't want to acknowledge Naruto UNS 4 is better than SFV

latest

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'm 100% with Woolie on spoilers. For stuff like Mutants in Manhattan the trailer spoilers aren't a huge concern because gameplay is essential. Zero Time Dilema knows that story twists are its strength so you know the promo materials won't spoil anything major.

But seeing the appearance of a character for the first time in a trailer when it could easily have been saved for the movie sucks. Plus, I'm of the mind that when I see a key scene in a movie, a lot of potential tension in the proceeding scenes is drained thus lessening my potential enjoyment. I try as hard as I can to avoid info on movies I plan to see.

We don't know if it's a key scene. At all. As far as we know the Airport thing happens near the middle of the movie, and chances are Spider-Man appears earlier. Heck, we haven't seen the film's villain at all.

They were talking about the Captain America trailer, right? Haven't listened to the podcast yet.

We don't know if it's a key scene. At all. As far as we know the Airport thing happens near the middle of the movie, and chances are Spider-Man appears earlier. Heck, we haven't seen the film's villain at all.

They were talking about the Captain America trailer, right? Haven't listened to the podcast yet.
I was actively avoiding the trailer(s), so I didn't even know anything about there being an airport.

Edzi

Truth. People clamoring trailers are spoilers make me want to go Adam Jensen on some concrete walls.

A lot of recent trailers are absolutely spoilers. The people making them don't care about story spoilers because they know that the people who care enough to complain are already seeing the movie anyway.

Siegcram

A lot of recent trailers are absolutely spoilers. The people making them don't care about story spoilers because they know that the people who care enough to complain are already seeing the movie anyway.
No story context = not a spoiler

And I dare you to tell me any actual story spoilers for Civil War from that trailer.

Edzi

No story context = not a spoiler

And I dare you to tell me any actual story spoilers for Civil War from that trailer.

I didn't watch it, but character spoilers can be just as important given the right context. But one example I can think of that definitely ruins a big twist was the John Connor twist in the latest Terminator movie. The movie clearly intended for that to be a big reveal halfway through, but the trailer just reveals it immediately from the get go. Things like that are surprisingly common now, so it's better to just avoid trailers for movies you care about.

Edzi

Shame that Pat hates Salt and Sanctuary.

I guess if they would ever make a video about it Liam would have to play the part of Pat.

Oh, they talk about it? Good, I'm currently on the fence about the game and would love to hear his thoughts. I played it a bit at PSX and didn't really like it, but the positive reviews have me curious again. Can't really get over the bad art style though.

hupla

Except you probably wouldnt see the character for the first time in the movie do to Merchandise, posters ect. Putting them in a trailer lets the editors show you the character in the best light instead of a shitty pose on a cereal box or as an action figure

Man, finished today's Naruto LP episode, and I dread what an SAO LP would be like. The only exception is if they ever made a GGO game. If it was even half as good as Devil's Third gameplay wise, it might not be a terrible LP.

Except you probably wouldnt see the character for the first time in the movie do to Merchandise, posters ect. Putting them in a trailer lets the editors show you the character in the best light instead of a shitty pose on a cereal box or as an action figure
I avoid the toys and as much promotional info as I can before a movie. I blinded myself to almost all Star Wars toys and was successful in not having the most important part of Rey spoiled.

That said, what we're talking about is the movie. I can know a certain character will appear in the movie, but I don't want to know the context of their appearance. Trailers definitely can and do spoil that.

hupla

I avoid the toys and as much promotional info as I can before a movie. I blinded myself to almost all Star Wars toys and was successful in not having the most important part of Rey spoiled.

That said, what we're talking about is the movie. I can know a certain character will appear in the movie, but I don't want to know the context of their appearance. Trailers definitely can and do spoil that.

Well that's fine if you want to/know to avoid that stuff but trailers are cut to entice people into seeing a movie and show things off in the most positive light possible so i think the argument that the character shouldnt have been in the trailer is silly if the people cutting feel they have a chance to show them off without spoiling the characters role in the movie (they didnt).

Siegcram

I didn't watch it, but character spoilers can be just as important given the right context. But one example I can think of that definitely ruins a big twist was the John Connor twist in the latest Terminator movie. The movie clearly intended for that to be a big reveal halfway through, but the trailer just reveals it immediately from the get go. Things like that are surprisingly common now, so it's better to just avoid trailers for movies you care about.
There's a difference between that and "the trailer just spoiled there's a helicarrier in the movie".

I can't speak to the Terminator example since I didn't see it (trailer or movie), but from what people told me the story doesn't make any sense anyway, so ...

Plus, if you care about the movie beforehand, trailers aren't even aimed at you.

Oh, they talk about it? Good, I'm currently on the fence about the game and would love to hear his thoughts. I played it a bit at PSX and didn't really like it, but the positive reviews have me curious again. Can't really get over the bad art style though.

They didn't talk much.

Pat just says he doesn't like the artstyle and the 2D set up. Woolie and Liam are okay with it.

Pat's observation that the TMNT Trailer is just as spoilery about the game was entirely correct though.

There is also a difference between a (10 second scene in a) 2 minute trailer and a... 2+ hour movie with stuff like context and shit.

But I got context because I saw the characters, the scenery around them. I mean I have no problems watching trailers for games or TV shows because it is harder to spoil things when you're more than a couple of hours long.

But I got context because I saw the characters, the scenery around them. I mean I have no problems watching trailers for games or TV shows because it is harder to spoil things when you're more than a couple of hours long.

You have context for those 10 seconds. You at best have a vague idea of what happened before and after that scene(maybe. we don't even know whether or not any of the other scenes shown in that trailer take place before or after, beyond making a few educated guesses on some of them). Odds are many other scenes not shown will probably be much more important to the movie and its story, and most likely some of the scenes they have shown(like war machine getting his shit wrecked). Underroos is likely gonna be doing plenty of shit in this movie that complaining about his intro being spoiled is going to look silly(not that it wouldn't anyways, because god damn spoiler babies).

On second thought, I hope that is actually the ending of the movie which leads directly into the Underroos film or something. That would be amazing. My favorite type of spoiler complaining is the kind that doesn't make sense until you've actually seen the movie.

But my issue is that I've seen them. Nothing else. Just movie trailers suck and I wish there was more like TFA.

It sucks for you because of your own ridiculous idea of what trailers can or can not show. for everyone else, that trailer probably just put a ton of asses in seats on day 1, without hurting the movie or whatever, for most of those people.

Squishy3

I'd also like to point out that scene in the trailer isn't the "climax" scene. It's probably the mid-point. Whereas I'll bring it up again, the Batman vs Superman trailer reveals the entire plot of the movie just from that trailer.

Batman vs Superman fight at the middle of the movie, Wonder Woman gets involved and stops them before anything permanent happens and then OH WHOOPS DARKSEID'S HERE AND NOW WE HAVE TO SET ASIDE OUR DIFFERENCES AND SAVE THE WORLD. There probably isn't going to be anything similar in Civil War.

I'd also like to point out that scene in the trailer isn't the "climax" scene. It's probably the mid-point. Whereas I'll bring it up again, the Batman vs Superman trailer reveals the entire plot of the movie just from that trailer.

Batman vs Superman fight at the middle of the movie, Wonder Woman gets involved and stops them before anything permanent happens and then OH WHOOPS DARKSEID'S HERE AND NOW WE HAVE TO SET ASIDE OUR DIFFERENCES AND SAVE THE WORLD. There probably isn't going to be anything similar in Civil War.

And for some reason this doesn't bother me at all. Probably because I know the film will be a train wreck.

It sucks for you because of your own ridiculous idea of what trailers can or can not show. for everyone else, that trailer probably just put a ton of asses in seats on day 1, without hurting the movie or whatever, for most of those people.

Hasn't hurt me either. He's the main reason I was gonna go see the film. Still sucks that the sequel to the best Marvel film (Winter Soldier) is a storyline that is more of a crossover in the franchise that a Captain America storyline. Man Civil War is a stupid film. But at least it is being honest unlike Batman vs Superman.

Skrams

I feel like no one usually wins in talking about what is and isn't a spoiler. I'm getting more lax on a situation like this since I don't really care that much about marvel movies until they happen, but as usual, it's annoying that trailers don't have more subtlety. Instead we get, here's the character reveal and design to put asses in seats that I wish they could of just had some restraint with. For game trailers I'm usually in there for gameplay and story beats happening at the same time isn't of much concern to me. Especially not with something like a Platinum TMNT game. I think E3 showings are toned pretty well most of the time which is why I don't feel like we hear as much pain about something like that. Games tend to even do gameplay and story trailers to separate it. The variety and options is pretty nice for people like me who want to go in fresh as possible to things usually.

Woolie is playing on an emulator. The game has standard controls on dpad and slippery controls on analog but his emulator is only mapping the dpad to the slippery controls or some shit.

also, wasn't there totally some bomb freezing weapon thing he did in there, can he reflect those back at the boss or something
Uh, are you sure he just didn't slap the PS1 disc in a PS3 considering he keeps bringing up the fact that Mike gave him the disc which is why he's playing it? I really don't see a problem unless he's using the analog sticks and it feels less natural on analog since it wasn't made with it in mind. PS3 usually maps completely fine with the dpad and never anything like whatever you're saying with the slippery analog to dpad.

It sounds like he just needs to not ever back up and keep shooting the rapid machine gun. If he backs up then he lets the boss keep progressing forward, so he loses a lot of time from catching up and less damage done.
Plus, if you care about the movie beforehand, trailers aren't even aimed at you.
The shittiest part of this is that most people like us can't escape the trailer talk despite trying to keep away from them. They're just too heavily talked about for us to get away from either way.
Pat's observation that the TMNT Trailer is just as spoilery about the game was entirely correct though.
I think gameplay is a priority to character designs for a lot of people in that scenario.

For me, spoilers are the best moments of the film, rather than plot-integral. (The best moments often are plot-integral, because that's how good writing usually works, but not necessarily.)

Like, I would consider the best jokes to be the "spoilers" for Deadpool, and indeed the big problem with movies like that is that the trailers/commercials often have all of the best jokes. (Thankfully, Deadpool didn't.) I actually feel like commercials for comedies are the most likely to dip into dangerous spoiler territory, followed closely by action "spectacle" movies. (As with Deadpool, an action movie really needs to have enough money shots that they aren't all shown in the trailer, or it's essentially spoiled by the trailer.)

There are also some movies that are basically impossible to spoil. (Hi Mad Max: Fury Road.)

Skrams

Oh my god Minecraft Part 3 and their discussion on kids who try hard or kids who sail through school. This is too real and I can't handle it. I'm in the sail through shit category and I just fucking died when anything become a chore. This hurts to hear.

And for some reason this doesn't bother me at all. Probably because I know the film will be a train wreck.

Hasn't hurt me either. He's the main reason I was gonna go see the film. Still sucks that the sequel to the best Marvel film (Winter Soldier) is a storyline that is more of a crossover in the franchise that a Captain America storyline. Man Civil War is a stupid film. But at least it is being honest unlike Batman vs Superman.

the only reason i still care about BvS is cause i wanna see them beat the shit outta each other

Team Pat

They all already knew the thing that's in the civil war trailer for over a year. Not wanting to see the trailer or even discuss it is totally valid, but pretending not to know what you already know is just silly.

MrHoot

I had the rarest of sightings today, I felt blessed

pgAxfmU.jpg

(And I love my mall'ss persistance to actually stock these. Vita aisle is also stacked, full of persona 4 dancing all night still)

Edzi

I had the rarest of sightings today, I felt blessed

pgAxfmU.jpg

(And I love my mall'ss persistance to actually stock these. Vita aisle is also stacked, full of persona 4 dancing all night still)

I don't think Devil's Third is rare anymore. It's been available on Amazon for a while now.

MrHoot

I don't think Devil's Third is rare anymore. It's been available on Amazon for a while now.

Is it still stocked in shelves tho ? I remember the gang saying like it barely had any shelf space in the US.

That and having Rodea next to it made me giggle

Matt needs to learn how to shut up about spoilers. He spoiled like 3 jokes in Deadpool on the podcast and then as everyone is talking about the "thing that happens" in Civil War and Liam expressly says he knows nothing about it and then Matt goes and says it's straight up a person who shows up. Like, cmon dude.

Also TeamWoolie. Spoiler have gotten out of control in trailers, go in blind or don't go in at all.

Producers don't give a fuck about spoilers. They'll spoil the entire plot in a trailer if it means more people will watch it and come to see the movie.

Producers don't give a fuck about spoilers. They'll spoil the entire plot in a trailer if it means more people will watch it and come to see the movie.
On the contrary, I didn't go see Antman because I felt like I watched the entire movie from a trailer I saw in theaters.

Im probably a minority here, but still.

Squishy3

On the contrary, I didn't go see Antman because I felt like I watched the entire movie from a trailer I saw in theaters.

Im probably a minority here, but still.
Ant-Man's worth seeing, there's a lot in there that wasn't in the trailers. Like you see part of the final fight and can figure out the villain easily enough, but the trailer showed practically 0 of the comedy. Michael Peña is excellent in it.

I do wish they'd give slightly more fucks about the minecraft LP. Like... I get it guys, you had to fill a slot but... Could've picked a game you like or something.

Top Bottom