• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Coolluck

I usually come in to ask a random question but I'm just enjoying the Zaibatsu right now. I'm glad they're so consistent with releasing videos and podcasts. They make so much I can't keep up with it all but that's great. Don't have to resort to re-runs anymore to fill the gap.

That's a shame. I for one also get pretty overly defensive about stuff I like or believe in so I can't look at that as a bad thing.

But idk about all this critisim towards Matt, because of Matt I'm into most of the stuff I am into today and always seems like the most fun loving best friend. I can understand the part where he can look like he's not into something he doesn't care about all that much but if he tried to act like he's into something it might seemed forced. Not to say he's not without his faults. But never gotten to the point where I'm put off by who's in the lp like some people have stated before.

like that huge asshole on vessel that complains about Liam 24/7
we should ban him from the subreddit and this thread if hes a member

Personally, I'm cool with Matt as long as the word "Nintendo" isn't in the conversation. It's blatantly obvious that he spent too much time in GAF's Nintendo Echo Chamber and still carries that L with him everywhere he goes.

Like, Liam and Woolie are hardcore Nintendo fans, but they aren't unreasonable about it and aren't afraid to admit fault with the company and its products. Hell, Pat's one of the (less than?) 1% of North Americans who actually own a Wii-U and Matt's constantly on him about not dick-riding Nintendo hard enough.

I don't even mind a bias--he's got an obvious Ubisoft bias, too, and it's fine--it just needs to stop short of the point where you act completely irrational on the basis of it. Liam's Vita-animu bias is probably about as strong as I can take from a person before I want to never hear them talk about a subject again, and Matt's like five levels beyond that when it comes to Nintendo.

I'll standby what I've said before though I think I'm unfair by throwing him under the bus.

Maybe I'm just coming from someone who has watched them since their P4 video (I think season 2 of their machinima stuff, way before their RE2 LP). I honestly think Matt has changed the most throughout the span of the channel in general. Back before the channel got really big, I noticed that his edits on the machinima videos were on point and his obscure pulls/references were second to none

However, ever since the channel blew up and he has an actual business to run, I feel like he's having a hard time balancing the roles of a businessman as well as an entertainer. Could be something else but I'm just assuming and might be totally wrong.

Matt if you're reading this, I'm sorry for the harsh criticisms. You're doing a really good job growing the channel to where it is and keep it up. Maybe I'm just wearing rose coloured glasses at this point and just stick to the old videos.

MrHoot

Yeah Matt has been more on the touchy side for a while but I also love him sometimes just for the dumb stuff that, like some other poster pointed out, he introduced me to. And when he's into his element it's really the best. I'm actually one of the few who actually really likes the FF X lp (well, apart from the kinda random battles but that's more about the game than the commentary). And he was super cool on the Old Hunters LP, he actually added a lot of energy due to his love for lovecraftian stuff that balanced Pat and Woolie's more cynical or reserved commentary (that song for bloodstarved is still the best.) And his love for nintendo is obvious from the very start, I dunno how this is now a thing we have to point out

I feel there is an air of general bitterness tho sometimes, amongst all of them, and that's what makes me sad sometimes. Even Pat and Woolie seem to go more and more into the "We give up" stance. Sometimes it can be really funny, like the minecraft LP for instance. But I still have memories of the bloodborne lp end where they got shitfaced drunk and got in the same mindset and that...kinda sucked. Sure Matt sandbags Pat but honestly I can kinda understand him sometimes when it seems that his nihilistic side or his love for cringe is trying to overtake everything. Kinda gets tiring very quickly after a while.

Still like Liam tho. Although doesn't help my case that I also have a vita bias :^)

I'll standby what I've said before though I think I'm unfair by throwing him under the bus.

Maybe I'm just coming from someone who has watched them since their P4 video (I think season 2 of their machinima stuff, way before their RE2 LP). I honestly think Matt has changed the most throughout the span of the channel in general. Back before the channel got really big, I noticed that his edits on the machinima videos were on point and his obscure pulls/references were second to none

However, ever since the channel blew up and he has an actual business to run, I feel like he's having a hard time balancing the roles of a businessman as well as an entertainer. Could be something else but I'm just assuming and might be totally wrong.

Matt if you're reading this, I'm sorry for the harsh criticisms. You're doing a really good job growing the channel to where it is and keep it up. Maybe I'm just wearing rose coloured glasses at this point and just stick to the old videos.

Matt just needs a secretary
and whatdya know Crimetina his Wife is right there and i bet wouldnt mind
Liam cant be qualified cause life likes making him sick to much

So... the redhead in Megadimension Neptunia VII... I'm pretty sure she's got the dub VA for Ryuko Matoi, which is actually a pretty decent casting choice, since she can do pissed off action girl pretty well.

HGH

Banned
So... the redhead in Megadimension Neptunia VII... I'm pretty sure she's got the dub VA for Ryuko Matoi, which is actually a pretty decent casting choice, since she can do pissed off action girl pretty well.
Nope, that ain't her. She's doing her best Ryuko impression (although in an amusing parallel, she also has to voice a villainous version of the same character), but it's actually someone else entirely who's appeared on the channel in the past: that pink haired girl from the Dangan Ronpa LP. You can hear it when she turns into Dreamcast.
The actual KLK VA here is Satsuki's, who voices the XBox. Which is weird cause she's standing in for Tara Platt and it's a way different voice.
The casting's surprising and competent in general, you've got the Smash announcer voicing a fish, the main character is Ed from Cowboy Bebop, newChie is Playstation, and I think the main villain is Jamieson Price.

Does anyone feel like Matt has been the weakest comedy-wise? His negativity and forced jokes just completely drag the commentary in almost everything he's involved in. On top of that, the excessive sandbagging of the others is just draining (we get it, everyone's shit).

I don't know, just sucks that (nostalgia-wise) I felt like Pat was always good at keeping the conversation going and Matt just sticks with his schtick that does not gel with me at all, kind of reminds me of Spy but it's more prevalent as he's in a lot of LPs and in the podcast.

Sorry for the shitpost but it's been on my mind for a long while now and has prevented me from watching most of their LPs

Matt sandbagging everyone has rubbed me the wrong way as well. I feel like he is the type of guy to act like that when someone is just try to break the ice and be funny, just to shit on them. *shrug* idk

Matt sandbagging everyone has rubbed me the wrong way as well. I feel like he is the type of guy to act like that when someone is just try to break the ice and be funny, just to shit on them. *shrug* idk

I think it's more that he's the type of guy who's worse when he's "on", and also feels the need to turn it up more the more people are present.

Like, in his duo LPs with Pat he's still great. Resident Evil 0 and Deus Ex are both great LPs and Matt's bringing plenty to the table without created (unnecessary amounts of) friction. He just has to learn to calm down and be himself when in a group of three or more people, instead of trying to dial everything up to eleven to... get noticed, I guess? I'm not really a psychologist, I don't know what makes people act out in crowds like that.

I think it's more that he's the type of guy who's worse when he's "on", and also feels the need to turn it up more the more people are present.

Like, in his duo LPs with Pat he's still great. Resident Evil 0 and Deus Ex are both great LPs and Matt's bringing plenty to the table without created (unnecessary amounts of) friction. He just has to learn to calm down and be himself when in a group of three or more people, instead of trying to dial everything up to eleven to... get noticed, I guess? I'm not really a psychologist, I don't know what makes people act out in crowds like that.

Good point. When someone is just trying to make you laugh and you just treat them like shit it rubs me the wrong way, like sandbagging is fine for the most part but when your just acting like an entitled asshole It's just not nice. Maybe it just is he isn't good with crowds, Idk everyone has their issue's and I am fine with Matt for the most part and so far FFX and Deus Ex have been great.

Nope, it's an entirely other person also called Erica.
Although speaking of Erica Mendez she's now been cast in HxH. Maybe now I can force the guys to wat- oh who am I kidding, they hate dubs ten times more than the originals.
I dunno, there's more than a few shows were the dubs improve the experience, like Dimension W, where the high pitched JP VA for the female lead makes the fanservice cringeworthy, while the American VA makes just annoying.

Gundam 00's dub is superior to the Japanese version thanks to Scott McNeil's incredible Ali Al-Saachez performance alone.

HGH

Banned
I dunno, there's more than a few shows were the dubs improve the experience, like Dimension W, where the high pitched JP VA for the female lead makes the fanservice cringeworthy, while the American VA makes just annoying.

Gundam 00's dub is superior to the Japanese version thanks to Scott McNeil's incredible Ali Al-Saachez performance alone.
Oh I'm not the one complaining, I love dubs. But try arguing with Woolie and Liam and they will argue you back to death no matter how much of a point you prove. It's just their tastes I suppose.

I feel like you know what Matt you're getting in a video from a couple minutes in. Like in the recent Fisticuff with Monster. Like less than 3 minutes in and he's like "I don't see the quality" and he was generally low/lowest energy for the whole rest of the video. Compare that to a vid where he's picked out the game or enjoys it and it's like an entirely different Matt is in the building.

Anung

Un Rama
I feel like you know what Matt you're getting in a video from a couple minutes in. Like in the recent Fisticuff with Monster. Like less than 3 minutes in and he's like "I don't see the quality" and he was generally low/lowest energy for the whole rest of the video. Compare that to a vid where he's picked out the game or enjoys it and it's like an entirely different Matt is in the building.

I can agree with that. I'm catching up on videos now and Matt is kick ass in the Resident Evil Zero and Deus Ex LP's. But during the arse end of the second DeS stream it is blatant how he obviously doesn't want to be there/isn't engaged. I think he confirmed as much on the SA forum.

I can agree with that. I'm catching up on videos now and Matt is kick ass in the Resident Evil Zero and Deus Ex LP's. But during the arse end of the second DeS stream it is blatant how he obviously doesn't want to be there/isn't engaged. I think he confirmed as much on the SA forum.
The thing that annoys me most about it is that everyone else seems to be able to power through games they don't like and still produce a decent~ish video out of it. Woolie and Animorphs and Pat in any of the anime games Liam makes him play, are prime examples. If Matt isn't in to a game from the get go, you can pretty much just expect him to drag the whole production down, like Sonic Adventure.

The thing that annoys me most about it is that everyone else seems to be able to power through games they don't like and still produce a decent~ish video out of it. Woolie and Animorphs and Pat in any of the anime games Liam makes him play, are prime examples. If Matt isn't in to a game from the get go, you can pretty much just expect him to drag the whole production down, like Sonic Adventure.

Matts like me where if i hate a game i just cant give enough of a shit about it

lol Matt now defending the Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword intro. Sorry Matt, they are boring as fuck and make the game unreplayable

if i see one more herding minigame im going to die

All 3D Zeldas are pretty notorious for their slow starts but none will ever be as bad as Ocarina of Time's. Holy shit that game is bad for so long until you finally make to the forest temple as an adult.

Then the game peaks and gets mediocre again afterwards.

Xater

I just started the Zelda LP. Them flipping out about how "beautiful" an HD version of a GameCube game is is hilarious to me. Also mean was all the character art bad in this. Wind Waker is the Zelda that actually still does look great. Also just a way better game.

MrHoot

Does anyone remember the episode when Matt tricks woolie into thinking he chose a game for them to play where in reality Matt set it all up.

Hahaha, it's the Bad Boys fake Mystery box but actual Cryme Tyme video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITynSLwn-ek

Funny you mentionned that as I actually looked that up yesterday. I absolutely love that beginning

Are some of you guys seriously getting salty that they like TP or think the HD version looks good? Come on.

There's a lot of salt flowing for some odd reason about the TP lp.

As someone with no wii u i'm also looking forward to see this HD port. Looks neat to me so far.
Liam is right too; Woolie IS pushing hard for waifus. I think Pat is a bad influence on him

Duplolas

Banned
Those ratios tho.

iOzNwB9.png

Edit:

Also I would like to add that in that time, they gained over 100 subscribers. Kinda cool.

Top Bottom