• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Skrams

Oh man, Twilight Princess Part 4 has something really strong in it. God, thank you Liam.

Misleading title is misleading.
Oh man, do I've got the thing for you that is totally on topic for this thread and your ReBoot interest.

And oh god, if you actually choose to watch that video, know that it is not representative of the channel as a whole.
Really surprised they didn't say a single thing about the Gawker/Hogan trial.
This keeps slipping my mind and it really shouldn't considering Gawkers longevity is now super up in the air over that I'd imagine. I do wish they'd mention it, but I'm not sure if they would have much to talk about besides saying it's nuts or some silly hogan jokes.

Watching the nepnep video and I'm kinda surprised they love the KH2 opening. I think it's really good too.

I wouldn't say it's flat-out better than the rest of the game, especially if you're playing FM+, but from a narrative point of view it's really strong.

I have fond memories of Scarface: The World is Yours. I did played bits and pieces of GTA3 and Vice City but I think I finished all of Scarface on the OG Xbox. I honestly like Scarface better than GTA since some of the mechanics made the game so much easier to play even without cheats (like getting weapons out of the trunk, the balls system, and the drug encounters).

I can't recommend it to everyone since making money in the game especially at the end takes way too many steps (get supply from Cuba, transport it to your warehouse by boat, distribute and collect money from your fronts while protecting your businesses from rival gangs). It just grinds to a halt and makes getting money to spend on collectibles for "influence" not worth it honestly.

Would play it again if our OG Xbox didn't die on us a while ago.

Skrams

I think Woolie started Hunter x Hunter, but quit like 6 episodes in.

He said he really disliked the art.
He watched 8 or 16 episodes. I forget how many. He was annoyed by how averagely shonen the hunter exam was and how he thought he could see everything coming from a mile away. I understand his early sentiments and the Heaven's Arena as a pseudo tournament arc wouldn't really help following it either if he went back to it.

He's the only real one who has much of an opinion on it. The others just whine about the art.
Is it the art or the character design? Because the character design is oh so very dull.
Character design most likely since Gon looks like Goku.
I'm in the same boat as Woolie, in my case it's definitely the character designs. They look too "generic kiddie anime". Like something I'd expect of BayBlade.
Really need to look past that since the designs are a wide net. A lot of color and variety like a One Piece.

Have they said when the NBA 2K16 story mode LP will finish? I made the mistake of getting bored and starting it without seeing if it was finished or updated in the last week.

I haven't checked in on One Piece since Impel Down but

latest

is this real? What the fuck?

Squishy3

well, you're also using the anime image which is toei's shit tier work

luffy's whole thing is that he always typically looks silly doing whatever powerup, hell, there's a section in the series where they're fighting a huge giant, and the crew's reaction to it is try to do mecha docking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqmWgUOoxHc&ab_channel=ashbird82 and you don't see it there but luffy's off marking out about it in the corner

conversely this is also the last arc the anime was actually really good at. one piece is pretty much the best weekly shonen running at this point, there hasn't been any huge dips in quality other than some pacing issues in the last arc (and mha is good but not to the extent one piece is) the current one piece arc is on track to be one of the best

if you're going to try to get into one piece, just read the manga, the anime is garbage now. Look up the cool moments like soge king's kamen rider intro or basically any of the cool moments before the timeskip (as the anime takes a huge dip in quality CUZ TOEI DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK)

hunter x hunter also has huge issues with how it presents itself in the beginning (it has a ton of things that break out of typical shonen tropes but none of them manifest themselves for ages) and I was one of the people that was initially turned off by the character designs too, but it's legitimately good. i also thought one piece designs were stupid for a long time before biting the goddamn bullet and trying it

Nordicus

The Gear 4th form looks dumb, sure, but honestly that was an almost natural progression for One Piece

If you wanted the protagonist to look powerful enough to stand on the same level as the big bads of the story this is honestly the best you can expect out of a character called Monkey D. Luffy

And even Oda knows it looks silly. The moment Luffy transformed, Donflamingo started talking shit about how ridiculous Luffy is looking, all bulked up and hopping on one foot because he's so bouncy he can't even stand still.

well, you're also using the anime image which is toei's shit tier work
I agree that modern Toei are a bunch of hacks, but they're in no way to blame for what's shown on that on-model still image because that's what the form looks in manga too.

If I were to change just one thing about the design, it'd be the black color surrounding Luffy's eyes

Squishy3

The Gear 4th form looks dumb, sure, but honestly that was an almost natural progression for One Piece

If you wanted the protagonist to look powerful enough to stand on the same level as the big bads of the story this is honestly the best you can expect out of a character called Monkey D. Luffy

And even Oda knows it looks silly. The moment Luffy transformed, Donflamingo started talking shit about how ridiculous Luffy is looking, all bulked up and hopping on one foot because he's so bouncy he can't even stand still.

I agree that modern Toei are a bunch of hacks, but they're in no way to blame for what's shown on that on-model still image because that's what the form looks in manga too.

If I were to change just one thing about the design, it'd be the black color surrounding Luffy's eyes
It just feels weird to complain about it being a thing now (and going it used to be so good) when it's basically an evolution of this which happened 9 years ago.

Luffy's powers have always been ridiculous and the way he puts them into practice has always been ridiculous looking. He has a fucking move where he flies around by spinning his legs and he calls it Gum Gum UFO, for crying out loud. Or just making giant fists, turning his body into a balloon, etc. I won't disagree that the form looks silly but I hardly think it looks outright bad or is ill-fitting with the series. Plus it's just going for that Kabuki-esque look as well.

Matsukaze

I'm seriously dying for all the Bats v. Supes talk on next weeks podcast. Gonna be glorious.
As entertaining as it will be, I'm not looking forward to Pat pretending the movie is "incontrovertible" proof that he is fundamentally right about Superman (and I say this as someone who isn't especially fond of Superman).

I hate One Piece's art style so much.
Same. People have tried to convince me One Piece is so good, art and all, and I just go "Are you looking at the same thing I'm looking at?" I understand the anime apparently tanked the art, but even the manga doesn't look very good from what snippets I've seen.

As entertaining as it will be, I'm not looking forward to Pat pretending the movie is "incontrovertible" proof that he is fundamentally right about Superman (and I say this as someone who isn't especially fond of Superman).
Im honestly excited for this, it'll be a long ass argument that I can just chuckle about.

Top Bottom